Start by marking “Rock War (Rock War #1)” as Want to Read:
Rock War (Rock War #1)

Rock War

(Rock War #1)

Meet Jay. Summer. And Dylan.

Jay plays guitar, writes songs and dreams of being a rock star. But his ambitions are stifled by seven siblings and a terrible drummer.

Summer works hard at school, looks after her nan and has a one-in-a-million singing voice. But can her talent triumph over her nerves?

Dylan is happiest lying on his bunk smoking, but his school rugby coach has ot
Published February 27th 2014 by Hodder Children's Books (first published February 6th 2014)

Lisa
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I love Robert Muchamore so am sorry to be going so low with 2 stars. The idea is great, the start is excellent, the characters are building in this first of a new series. BUT there is a sudden lurch about 3/4 through and everything is rushed and predictable. The rich kid is super rich with a famous dad and the girl in his band is a secret cutter who unexplainably opens up about her cutting to him. The very poor girl is recruited into a band with some very rich girls who are unrealistically helpf ...more
Ziyad
I decided to read this book because I heard from my friends that Robert Muchamore was a really good author and his books are usually quite good. Also because it was a recommendation from one of my friends and I enjoy rivalries and competition stories, so I decided to read it.

This book is about 3 different students who form up a band each and compete in an international rock competition called Rock War. The 3 students, Jay - who is an excellent guitar player in his old band but soon breaks up, d
Princess Godoy
(I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review)

I adore books about music so upon seeing this, I am awestruck and I want to read it. The story is promising as it tackles different aspiring musicians. I am just disappointed that I'm almost at the end and they still haven't interacted with each other yet. I know that this is a series but I'm really looking forward when all characters met each other.

Overall, this is really promising and I want to read the next book.
Ian
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amusing story which is easy to follow and engaging throughout - very enjoyable.
All about teenagers, rock bands and an assortment of social issues.
Written for young adults and as such is very smooth and easy to read.
Two other books in the series following the characters that are encountered in "Rock War".
Michelle
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed-by-author
When I first heard about Rock War I knew it was one I HAD to read, so when I made a request for this book I kept my fingers and toes crossed. Rock War did take me a while to read, and definitly put my shoulder into exercising mode the amount of times I carried this to and from work.

Rock War follows three teenagers, who are hoping to form a band and try out for Rock the Lock. Jay, Summer, and Dylan have their own chapters as we follow each individual in the path they take to make their dreams com
Heather Brown
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens
Teens will love this book about the lead-up to a spectacular battle of the bands. Jay knows that his only way out of poverty is to be in a band, but his bandmates just want to hang out and have fun. Meeting an amazing drummer may just change his life. Dylan is a true slacker who just happens to be great at mixing and recording. He is just what the Pandas of Doom need to get their big break, if he can stop being an insufferable git. Summer spends all of her time studying or taking care of her nan ...more
Sarah Waters
I'm glad this book has 'mature read' on the cover as it is not suited to primary Agee students. I normally like Robert Muchamore's stories as they are fast passed with lots of action. Although I enjoyed getting to know the characters I didn't like how they three main groups hardly interacted together. I know the author was setting the scene for future novels in the series but this book lacked a significant problem. That said I will probably read the next book in the series.
15mohammedbhaiz
This was a very good first book and it was alot like cherub. i definately reccomend it.
Mark Bluett
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining. I can definitely relate to some of the characters struggles. I've just discovered it's a series so I'll definitely read the next book.
Rob Smith
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-fiction
I have read and enjoyed all of Muchamore's Cherub series and Henderson Boys and I recommend them to anyone in secondary education who will listen, sure to get reluctant boys writing.

I picked up 'Rock War' because it was by Muchamore but I didn't think I would enjoy it due to the content. The story follows a number of key characters and their 'rock bands' as they audition and successfully gain entry to 'Rock War' a new reality talent show.

The realistic characters, teenagers who could have stepp
Trish
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this first book in a new series from Robert Muchamore, apart from one or two I find most of the characters either unlikeable, wimpish, violent, or just plain disgusting. How are teenagers meant to identify with them?
Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa
A great introduction to the series!
Myles
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book! Would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Robert muchamore or just likes to read comedy books! Uses dual narrative which I really like
Sakura Miyano
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it was really good but I think this book is mainly for teenagers.
Felix Xu
may include swearing. a boy of the age of 12 is in the most famous rock band in the world........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ...more
Trowa
If you are thinking of giving this book to someone without reading it your self first please read the long review and spoilers.

This was my first Robert Muchmore book, having heard much about his work aimed at creating stories for his nephew who couldn't find books that interested him and has subsequently inspired more reluctant readers to read, thus I was interested in reading his work.

My rating: 3 Stars

In a sentance:
I thought this was a slightly more edgy, contemporary novel which fun easy to
Kieran
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book iv'e ever read. rock war is perfect for all ag- OK maybe not but if your, lets say 13 or up it is the most amazing book ever written. I hadn't read one book in the last 5 months and this book got me into reading again. i read the first one a few weeks ago and now i'm nearly on book 5, also its quite a big book. if your stuck for books to read then I guarantee this book wont let you down. Thank you Robert Muchamore for writing the best book ever written.

with as little spoile
Hunter Roberts
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evan Lien
This was a weird book, i'm telling you. The premise is good: It's a book about different characters forming different bands, very much a prequel to THE rock war. While most of the book reads as if it's made for 10-12 year olds, there are certain things that don't add up ...
Such as vibrant mentions and descriptions of self harm, potential rape, sex, and drugs, for one thing. While it's a book that you don't necessarily find yourself longing to read, you don't mind reading it when you get to it. I
ASHer
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was amazing. The way the characters storylines weave into each other's is really fun, watching each person progress, before having your attention snatched back to someone else. The way the author described the events, the emotions was really good. Not for kids younger than 12, it has a few naughty references, but the overall product is entertaining, fun and a nice change of pace from books about spys and things blowing up.
Cerys
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great I loved it , took me some time because I am not a fast reader but I do recommend this book if you want to read a easy but long book !!! If you are reading this book good luck and hope you enjoy 🤗😊

Finished this book a long time ago but never updated and my profile
Alexandra
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book. As a huge fan of the Cherub series, I couldn't wait to spend my birthday money on this book. I was so excited to get my hands on it, I read it in 2 hours!
Check out my review on https://youtu.be/Lvapn2p7a8I
Megan
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a great book! If you're a singer or in a band and want to rise to fame this is the book for you!
Dafloppa
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really good book by Robert Muchamore. one of his best. Quite different to Cherub. I like Jays story
Thomas Patton
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!!! A bit innapropriate though... maybe less swearing as I am an 11 year old boy...
Lauren White
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable and ticks all the boxes for a fun read. Has a typical Robert Muchamore stamp. Can't wait to read the next one.
Cleo
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing I reccomend it to anyone
José Lourenço
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion this new collection is even better than CHERUB.
Sasha
A great book for teens who love music. Following 3 main characters - JAy, Summer and Dylan - and their bands getting together and the competition that is going to change all their lives.

Jay is in a band with his 3 best mates but entering an inter-school competition forces him to realise if he wants to be taken seriously he needs a better drummer. When he brings it up with his friends he doesn't realise that he is putting years of friendship in jeopardy.

Summer is a good girl. Never in trouble. A
« previous 1 3 next »

• Shadows & Voices (Holly Silverstone, #1)
  • Blues for Zoey
  • A Very Singular Guild (City of Orphans, #3)
  • MetaWars: Fight for the Future
  • Nine Open Arms
  • Admission (Pandora Jones, #1)
  • Pig the Elf
  • The Accident
  • Split Second
  • Witch Finder (Witch Finder, #1)
  • The Slanted Worlds (Chronoptika, #2)
  • Monster
  • Dead Silent (Poppy Sinclair, #2)
  • New Guinea Moon
  • Saving Daisy
  • Two Wolves
  • The Book of Days
  • Siege
Robert Muchamore was born in Islington, London in 1972. He still lives there, and worked as a private investigator up until 2005 and the critically-accepted release of Maximum Security.

The Hunger Games phenomenon is part of the huge YA / Children's book explosion that has grown, thanks to the British Rat pack of YA authors, Anthony Horowitz, Robert Muchamore, Mark A. Cooper and Charlie Higson. We

Rock War (5 books)
  • The Audition (Rock War, #0.5)
  • Boot Camp (Rock War, #2)
  • Gone Wild (Rock War, #3)
  • Crash Landing (Rock War, #4)