Jump to ratings and reviews

Cutlass Anne

After setting out to save her sister, Anne Crowley finds herself face-to-face with the notorious John Jacks, the son of a ruthless pirate captain. John Jacks thwarts Anne’s every move yet she finds herself attracted to the infuriating pirate.

Determined to find her sister, and resist the charming John Jacks, Anne and her band of pirates must search the high seas for clues to finding her missing sister before she’s lost forever.

Kindle Edition

First published February 14, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

H.L. Wampler

6 books35 followers
H. L. is a lover of almost all things written. She grew up never knowing that she wanted to be a writer. It came about one rainy afternoon while she was home with her twin boys. Bored while the kids she picked up her laptop and set about writing her first manuscript. Five years later Rebel Ink took their chances with the crazy sports girl from the steel city.

Her stories tend to write themselves. She never knows just where they're going or what's going to happen. On more than one occasion the characters have surprised even H. L. There are times though when she has to tell the crazy personalities that form on her laptop to chill out, but she has fun with them.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews
Profile Image for OpenBookSociety.com .
3,865 reviews120 followers
January 1, 2015

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Andra

Some Spoilers

As far as I am concerned…this is what fiction (literature that tells stories which are imagined by the writer) should be about. From the very beginning I was in completely immersed, taken away to another time!

The flow of the story was effortless to follow. Characters defined well so that this reader could fully grasp the complexity of Anne! We learn early on that her father (the governor of South Carolina) has utilized unsavoury tactics to get where he is……he promised the pirate, John Jacks, his first child’s hand in marriage. What does he do in the opening chapter but try and get Anna married off to Bradford Worthington…probably thinking this would thwart the promise made earlier to John Jacks. Anna agrees to marry Bradford ….marriage without love….how sad.

The next day….Anne and her sister Jane are swimming in the ocean when they notice a pirate ship docking and decide to return home immediately. Anne sends Jane on a head and by the time she gets home, Jane has been taken by the infamous John Jacks. As the protective big sis, Anne sets off a bit recklessly to rescue her sister. And then the adventure ensues.

The only way to follow a pirate is to get on their ship. So Anne sets out to do just that, by impersonating a young man in need of his first job on a ship. It is intriguing seeing Anne’s deductive skills in how she will make all this work…getting employed by the pirate, fitting in with the crew (i.e. not getting found out as a girl) and keeping these secrets until she has located her sister. Now, not everything works out perfectly….hiccups occur and it is entertaining to see how Anne gets out of these difficulties. Numerous times her plans don`t go according to plan, but boy can she think on her feet.

Needless to say, as time progresses, the upstanding prim and proper Anne disappears and Cutlass Anne (the pirate) emerges. And I must say, I like the pirate Anne’s chutzpah. I love her tenacity in accomplishing her goals for everyone she loves (yes…a romantic entanglement ensues).

The only negative and it isn’t actually with the book but with the synopsis, seems to be that the synopsis indicates that Anne was attracted to John Jacks, but in actual fact it is not John Jacks but his son, Flynn, that Anne is attracted to. And isn’t John Jack the actual pirate captain and not the son of a pirate captain. Slight mix up in names …but frankly, it did not hinder my enjoyment in the least.

Overall, if you would like an easy, fun read with chuckles as well as a few pirate fights, then this is definitely a read for you. This is the second book of H. L. Wampler that I have read and I have enjoyed both reads.

*OBS would like to thank the author for supplying a free copy of this title in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Angie ~aka Reading Machine~.
3,323 reviews133 followers
April 4, 2014
Lady Anne Crowley knows that her father the Governor of South Carolina is planning to marry her off. Anne resigns herself to her fate of becoming a bride. Anne's life centers around her little sister Jane and would do anything for her. Captain John Henry aka Captain John Jakes takes Jane hostage in payment per an agreement by Anne's father instead of Anne. Anne is frantic when she realizes that Jane is been kidnapped and her father will do nothing about it. To rescue Jane, Anne must become cabin boy aboard The Gilded Lady. Anne's world is turned upside down but she will not stop until Jane is safe. Flynn Henry realizes that new cabin boy Thomas is in fact a lady in disguise. Flynn admires Lady Anne's courage and strength. Thomas appears to have gained the trust of captain. Captain Henry makes unusual offer to Thomas much to his surprise. Thomas accepts his offer if it means getting closer to Jane. Will Anne find Jane? Will Captain Jakes get what he deserves? Will Flynn admit his feelings for Anne? Your answers await you in Cutlass Anne.

The author did wonderful job of writing this story. I love pirate stories! Cutlass Anne lives up to all of the action and suspense. Anne learns where she really belongs and it's no where she imagined herself being that's for sure. I will definitely read more of this author's work.
Profile Image for Maryam Dinzly.
669 reviews48 followers
May 27, 2014
I found the summary about this book weird as John Jacks was not the guy she was attracted too. But oh well, the book is still great. You would already know that the book is about pirates, which is of course my favourite topic. Hence, i was really looking forward to reading this book. I love Anne, aka Cutlass Anne because she was such a kickass heroine. (yes, it's a heroine book, HAHA) she turned from such a lady, to an awesome pirate, just to save her sister, Jane. And then there was Flynn, the son of the notorious pirate. What made me fall in love with him was that he was unlike his father. They were like complete opposites. Hence, everyone who loves pirates, should really read this book :)
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.