Start by marking “Um Rapaz Adequado - Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Um Rapaz Adequado - Volume 1

Um Rapaz Adequado - Volume 1

Através da saga de uma mãe em busca de um bom partido para a filha, Vikram Seth recria a vida na Índia pós-colonial, um país que tenta reunir diferentes religiões e línguas sob uma identidade nacional. Neste primeiro volume, somos apresentados a quatro famílias que ilustram a sociedade indiana da época: os elitistas Kapoor, os excêntricos e intelectuais Chatterji, os tradi ...more
Paperback, , 672 pages
Published February 2014 by Record (first published May 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Um Rapaz Adequado - Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Um Rapaz Adequado - Volume 1

Christine
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Rita
There is something about train rides. Maybe it's because I HATE flying, maybe it's the beautiful places outside the window, who knows? There is something about riding trains. During my last train ride, I was seated next to a woman who loved to read, so course we began to trade you should read this lists.

And there is nothing better than that.

This was one of the books she recommended. I saw it at a used bookstore in the three volume edition (which was cheaper than the one volume edition), and con
AfroLit
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BBC Radio full cast drama, never disappoints. I want to listen to more, but right now I feel the need to read the book so I can stay with this dramatic love story.
Selma
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Priču počinje sa jednim vjenčanjem. To je velik dan za obitelj Mehra, gospođa Rupa Mehra zadovoljna je svojim izborom supruga za kćer Savitu, osim nje ima i sina Aruna, koji je oženjen sa snahom Minakši, iz obitelji tamošnjeg uglednog suca Ćaterđija, živi u Kalkuti, a s njima živi i neoženjeni sin Varun, dok je najmlađa kćer Lata još uvijek s majkom.
Nakon što je udala Savitu, gospođa Rupa Mehra ozbiljno planira izabrati prikladnog momka i za svoju mlađu kćer, Latu. Međutim, Lata ima i vlastite
Millicent
I enjoyed this book, despite having been warned off it by the proprietor of the used bookstore in Malaysia where I bought it (he gave it to me for free because he said he could not, in good conscience, charge me for such a bad book). The problem is that it doesn't really work as a stand-alone. Most people seem to have read the single volume version, which is long but at least doesn't end as abruptly as this edition. I expected something more like the Elena Ferrante series. Anyway, this is a ligh ...more
Marcos Sobrinho
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: projeto-2019
Comecei extremamente apreensivo. Depois me apaixonei pelos personagens, e aí mudou de capítulo, e tudo mudou. Muitos personagens, muitas histórias, o contexto histórico político da India como pano de fundo.
Eu estava amando, mas no meio da história, senti que o autor perdeu um pouco a mão, e o contexto politico, apesar de muito interessante, não se conectava de uma forma significativa a espinha dorsal do livro.
E mais a frente nem mesmo os outros capítulos, conseguiam se prender direito, e eu nem
Shaz Davis
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave up on this book, but in fairness I've given it a 4. I'm not a time and place novel fan and I found the characters and time and place annoying... and I don't really have the time and headspace to concentrate on a novel this involved or long. I borrowed the three in one version from the library...
P Halpern
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
678 pages, and it's only the first of three volumes of one long novel (1,488 pages, per wikipedia). Unsure if I'll read the others. It's actually quite captivating... family life in India, post-partition. Touches on the politics of that time and place. But, really? 1500 pages?
Jean St.Amand
Liked it but WAY too much political stuff; it just went on and on in places, so I ended up just skipping all the political stuff. Didn't seem important in regard to the story.
Minnie Mickey
1/3 knjige radnja zbrckana posebice u političkom opisu knjige... Nemam volje nastaviti čitati i doznati je li se glavna junakinja udala iz ljubavi..
Sian
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a friend who read it as she travelled through India. I stumbled upon a copy at a second hand store and immediately bought it. I read this as one volume and I loved every moment from start to finish. Whenever I find that I can see and taste and feel what the characters are experiencing, I know that I'm reading the work of a very skilled author.

Start to finish, I was captivated by the characters and their interwoven stories. I ended up keeping a notebook near the
Ros
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply could not put this book down. I could taste, smell and hear India in this mammoth tome. I loved the poetry interspersed in the pages and the extra cleverly written contents pages. This is the best book I have ever read. You will not be wasting your money or your time investing in this treasure chest from Vikram Seth.
Alayne
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable but I could not help reading it in an Indian accent LOL!
I especially appreciated the family tree at the front of the book as this helped me to identify who everyone was.
Looking forward to Parts II and III
Jude Keen
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended - one of those books you never forget
Heena
Sep 20, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too long!!! too many pages on politics which i skipped :D Did not like the ending..Could have been better...
Tracey Fraser
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favourite books. Love it. Highly recommend.
Kani
Currently reading some vague session in it
Mridula
took me ages to read this - I read many others in between - but I always wanted to come back to it to finish it.
Nancy

Feb 24, 2019
Ragamala Datta
Jan 04, 2019

• Quantas Madrugadas Tem a Noite
  • Epidemic (Vampire Plagues, #5)
  • The Crossing: A Story of East Timor
  • As Incríveis Aventuras de Dog Mendonça e PizzaBoy
  • Nação Crioula
  • A Varanda do Frangipani
  • Os Três Casamentos de Camilla S.
  • El País del Carnaval
  • Vinland
  • The Greek Islands
  • Ciranda de Pedra
  • Dutch Courage
  • O Romance de Genji (Book 2)
Vikram Seth is an Indian poet, novelist, travel writer, librettist, children's writer, biographer and memoirist.

During the course of his doctorate studies at Stanford, he did his field work in China and translated Hindi and Chinese poetry into English. He returned to Delhi via Xinjiang and Tibet which led to a travel narrative From Heaven Lake: Travels Through Sinkiang and Tibet (1983) which won