Start by marking “The Power of Decision” as Want to Read:
The Power of Decision

The Power of Decision

Published September 1st 1996 by DeVorss & Company (first published June 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Decision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Decision

Alora
Amazing. It sounds cliche but reading this book truly changed my life. I thought it would force me to make a decision. Instead, it taught me the power of making decisions and convinced me to actually make them. It gave me permission to make them. No, it demanded that I make them, or else live a half-life.

"Indecision is the decision to fail." This is just one of the hard-hitting, no-nonsense statements Barker makes. He speaks in short, bold sentences, never shying away from his message and his be
Brian Johnson
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Success and failure are results of the use of mind. Every success-motivated mind has been a decisive mind. Every failure-motivated mind has been an indecisive mind. Only the dreamer who acted with decision on his dream brought forth something new and valuable.”

“All of this is already in you. The great use it. The non-great do not, so they remain the non great. Decide upon some thing, situation, or condition that you want right now in your present life. Be definite in this decision. Do not limi
Nancy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as great for me as I had expected. For me, The writing style often seemed arrogant and looking down at those who did not agree with the author as being unenlightened. This was especially vexing to me because the author claims to be a well educated minister, yet his views on the nature of God were not in agreement with my own. That being said, I did find some insight and ideas that made reading it worthwhile to some degree.
Roku
Feb 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
I didn’t like his writing style. He repeats the same thing over and over, just words it differently, the whole book could have 30 pages and nothing would be missing. He mentions God or a verse from the Bible on almost every single page. And he has a very condescending tone. At some point he said that if you do not agree with this books so far, there is something wrong with you. I should have stopped at that, but I continued.

I stopped at the end of the book, after a story about someone healing b
Dynthia
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome
Adam Fletcher
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Barker's deft analysis and charge for action is changing my life, right now. Amazing.
Bryan Tanner
Review:
This was not my favorite "change your mind, change your life" book. The author, Raymond Barker rubbed me the wrong way for a few reasons:

1. Barker claims to be a Christian throughout the book, but he makes me question that. He talks about the church he attends. He frequently references bible verses. He talks of God. I felt like this book was written to Christians. And yet, he describes deity in such a different way from what I'm accustomed to, that it made me question my assumption that h
Chukwuma
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When the student is ready the teacher appears. I picked up this book at the right time in my life and I must confess it literally blew me away.
The title can be somewhat misleading; sounds like just another personal development book. It's way much more than that.

The last time any book ever hit this hard was when I read "Your Faith is Your Fortune" by Neville Goddard.

If you ever come across this book just buy it. If you can't yet relate to the concepts within keep it aside and return to it much
حسين
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
كتاب جميل في معظم أجزائه، يغير لك منظورك في الحياة، ويجعلك تعيد التفكير بشكل جدي بالأفكار والمعتقدات الراسخة لديك، وبل والبحث في خميرة العقل الباطن، والبحث وراء قراراتنا المتخذة، وعدم القدرة على اتخاذ قرار ما .
أجمل مافيه انه يعزز مفهوم الاستقلالية و أهمية اتخاذ القرار ، وأن اتخاذ القرار هو شيء صحيح بالعموم، دون النظر الى العاقبة ويبقى أفضل من عدم اتخاذ قرار او التردد .
فيه جانب سلبي وهو اسلوب التنمية المبتذل "بالنسبة لي على الأقل" عندما يقول قل بصوت عالي ، ردد بشكل مستمر .... هذا الاسلوب لا يست
Marrielle Monte
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a powerful book! Opened my eyes! I want to read it again!
Ruth Schlenker
Nov 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book only serves to show how far psychology has come.
Abdulaziz Al-Qahtani
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting book. I like the chapters idea and its really inspirational book.
Jordan
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Don't agree with all of the ideas in this book but a decent book nonetheless.
Jessica
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting thoughts. Don't agree with all of the ideas but left me inspired. May have been harder to read than listen to.
Suze
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Barker’s is very readable little book which is closely aligned with the principles of the much more complex and heavy-going Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes, to which I espouse. This book was a breath of fresh air compared to the density of the latter, and I was inspired again by the premise of reprograming my subconscious mindset through decisive, affirmative thought. He provides processes for treating the subconscious blocks to happiness, health, living richly and creatively and pretty much su ...more
Marcella R. Zappia
Simple But Clear Ideas for Easy Living

I think Dr. Barker clearly understands and explains the power of decision and it's link to everyday life and happiness. We truly control our lives by our decisions or lack thereof. Having studied Science of Mind for years, this was a great reminder of how simple it is to control our lives and live happily. If we stay stuck it is clearly our fault and our decision to stay stuck.
Roshan
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a special book. Its a really important reminder or realigner. It talks to you and is a balm for your thoughts. Its meaningful, insightful and it doesn't feel flowery inspite of its uplifting touch.
Elizabeth Olson
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2011, spiritual
Accessible language, clear thinking, and ideas easily put to practical application make this one of my all time spiritual favorites, one I return to time and again. Barker was a giant in New Thought philosophy, and with the timeless wisdom in "The Power of Decision", he remains so today.
Tiffany Bowens
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read!
Laughygab
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful! Changed my life and thinking; initiated the realization that the decision to be fully the self that you love and deeply want to be precedes all others!
Andy
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great condensed book about Science of Mind. I will most likely read it again.
Khánh Nguyễn Hoàng Việt
Chủ yếu bàn về lòng tin khi ra quyết định.
Rion

• Positive Addiction
  • Awakened Imagination
  • Harmonic Wealth: The Secret of Attracting the Life You Want
  • Your Invisible Power: A Presentation of the Mental Science of Thomas Troward
  • Thank & Grow Rich: A 30-Day Experiment in Shameless Gratitude and Unabashed Joy
  • The Other 90%: How to Unlock Your Vast Untapped Potential for Leadership and Life
  • Mindfulness On the Go: Quick And Easy Tips For Achieving Inner Calm Every Day