Start by marking “Dangerous” as Want to Read:
Dangerous

Dangerous

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  5,549 ratings  ·  1,377 reviews
Maisie ‘Danger’ Brown needs excitement. When she wins a harmless-sounding competition to go to astronaut boot camp, that’s exactly what she gets . . . But she never imagined it would feature stumbling into a terrifying plot that kills her friends and might just kill her too. Now there’s no going back. Maisie has to live by her middle name if she wants to survive – and she’ ...more
Published March 1st 2014 by Bloomsbury Children

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous, please sign up.
Angie I have thought so many times if Dangerous should be a movie, But as i watch all these amazing books become movies, i wish they hadn't. I mean who…moreI have thought so many times if Dangerous should be a movie, But as i watch all these amazing books become movies, i wish they hadn't. I mean who would direct it? What person would have such a mind like Shannon's and be able to pull it off without ruining the name and the story Dangerous?(less)

·  5,549 ratings  ·  1,377 reviews

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
He’s dangerous, I reminded myself. And this is not the experience you left home for. You should run away.

I didn’t move.
Let's get one thing straight, the Dangerous title, as far as I'm concerned, refers to a motherfucking romance. Not the ludicrous plot itself.

Am I too harsh? Was I the only teenager ever who had no interest in romance? Am I wrong for thinking that your life, your family's life, the fate of the world, should take priority over the flutterings of a teenaged girl's hea
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
For a long while this book felt formulaic - it's another teenagers-with-superpowers science fiction plot with a dash of Hunger Games - and I thought Shannon Hale was just phoning it in here, which made me sad because I like most of her other books so well, especially The Goose Girl. But as I got closer to the end it started feeling more creative and more real to me.

It does have several weaknesses: Aside from much of the story feeling like it was paint-by-numbers, there was a plot turn midway that ga
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages Read: 113

What in the flying fuck did I just read? Seriously. This book started off fairly good, but quickly went to WTF-ville on a high speed shuttle. (Are there low speed shuttles? Whatever, just roll with it.) I went looking for negative reviews and found one which spoiled the rest of the book. Thank goodness, because my brain is better off without this book in it.

Problems:

1) Heroine with a disability (missing a hand) is cured with technology, though s
Brooklyn
Jessica
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Shannon goes for broke and delivers an amazing sci fi adventure that is completely different from any of her previous books, and I LOVE IT. Having known Shannon for years, I'm frankly amazed that this isn't the kind of book she always writes. To me there is so much more of her own personality and her own likes and dislikes here! Tons of fun!

And, it's so true: I'd love to be able to say, Danger is my middle name.

Leah
this review goes live on the blog 3/4

Between that beautiful cover and - hello - SHANNON HALE, Dangerous was one of my most anticipated releases of 2014. Unfortunately I could only make it 147 pages in before throwing up a white flag and quitting. How is this from the same author of Princess Academy and The Goose Girl?? The only explanation I can come up with is that Hale has five books coming out this year. F-I-V-E. Clearly that had something to do with the lack of quality of Dangerous; this is not the Shannon Hale I know and love.
Jenny Rappaport
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, ok, there's a huge amount of reviews out there that are overwhelmingly negative...

Let's get things straight: this is a good book. In fact, I'd venture to call it a great book, within its own niche.

This isn't really a YA novel, although it's written as such. It's not middle grade, as others have claimed, because middle grade is WAY below this one in terms of vocabulary, etc.

Then what is it?

It's a fantastic homage to the great SF pulp novels of
Brandy Painter
May 29, 2013 marked it as set-aside  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys
This is the first of five books Hale has out this year. FIVE.

I think perhaps she has taken on too much, because the quality of her last couple of books is not what her work once was. This book is a hot mess. The pacing is out of control. Meet hot guy, make out with hot guy, have hot guy dump you in 20 pages! (That take place over the course of a couple weeks I might add.) Fifty pages in I felt as though I was reading the notes from a poorly written TV show. So I skipped to the end to see if sti
Caz (littlebookowl)
** I received this book for free from Bookworld in exchange for an honest review. **

I think this book could have benefitted from being a part of a series, or at least a duology. Things were too rushed, and there was a lack of world-building - particularly towards the beginning. There was so much potential to explore the elements of space and aliens more deeply, I feel like I was missing out! The first 100 or so pages could have been a book on its own. There is a pivotal point for the
Nasty Lady MJ
May 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To see full review click on one of the links below:

My blog

My booklikes page

Tell me if this story seems familiar: People go into space and get super powers.

If you answered The Fantastic Four you’re a winner. Want to continue playing well I have another one for you.
Katie Grace
Feb 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm honestly not sure how I finished this book. I managed to roll my eyes at least twice every chapter because /nothing/ in this book seemed realistic or serious.

The two good things about it?
1. Some puns.
2. Mention of pizza.
Melissa T
May 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was such a strike out I hardly know where to begin. Let me start with the fact that I LOVE Shannon Hale. She's written what I consider some of the very best of modern children's literature. I almost felt like aliens invaded HER body to have come up with such a dumb book.

First of all, I couldn't get a feel for the passage of time. They go to this space camp, which feels like days, but is talked about like it lasted all year. It was weird. And choppy.

Then there are the characters
Joella www.cinjoella.com
So I know this book isn’t scheduled to come out for awhile. But here’s the thing. I scored a copy of the galley at ALA. And I couldn’t help myself. I read it. And because it was brilliant…I wanted to talk about it. So I am. I will do a little blurb about the amazing plot to begin with and then I will go about telling you why I liked it so much. But here’s the thing. If you are anything like me…you won’t want any Shannon Hale spoilers. Because I like reading Shannon Hale without any clue as to wh ...more
Jennifer (The Nightly Book Owl)
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Actual Rating: 2.5

He’s dangerous, I reminded myself.

I was very excited to read this book because way back when, I had read Hale’s The Princess Academy, which I thoroughly liked. I wanted to see how she would handle a futuristic science fiction novel. Unfortunately, I can’t say I like this book anywhere near as much as her other works. My overall opinion of the book is that it’s an okay read. It is pretty much a romance in the guise of a sci/>He’s/>Actual
Elevetha
Rating ???

Couple things I didn't like: Wilder. Just...Wilder. I don't know if we were supposed to hate him or like him or moderately distrust him or what. I honestly don't know what Shannon was going for. I think she meant for us not to be sure how we felt about him, much like Maisie, and then at the end come to realize he's a trustworthy decent guy.

I still hated him. (view spoiler) ...more
Daisy Paquet
Nov 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"FIRST BOY I MEET I MUST KISS AT SPACE CAMP"
i quit. I'm sorry, but sweetie... you're at space camp. Go to space. ignore your teen angst.
Ashley
Dec 04, 2013 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, e-arc
Nose Graze — Book reviews & blogging tips

Look out, this is MIDDLE GRADE—not young adult

I thought that Dangerous —a supposed young adult book—sounded intriguing and intense with a hint of romance. I was PSYCHED! Well, it turns out this is so not young adult.

My first impression was: this book is really rushed. All within about 15 pages we have zero plot building and Maisie is already being whisked away to some mysterious astronaut camp. It was all just happening so quickly, it was hard to even/>Look
Rebekah
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-addiction
Original Review at: www.beawesomebeabooknut@blogspot.com

Many people have read Shannon Hale and I am no exception. I was really interested to read her YA Sci-fi book that even has a hero twist! Plus its sounded fun and just awesome!

What is great about this book is that it's fast paced, and keeps you guessing! I was shocked several times during the book because things happened that I did not see coming and the whole time Shannon Hale had me going, "what??? WHAAAAT?! no....way" I'm series?! it was that crazy fun!

Tabitha
Contrary to what I rated Dangerous, with 2 stars, for the right reader I think it would have been a much more enjoyable read.

The points that I believe might have helped find the right readers:

- If the book description for Dangerous were more forthcoming about the content, theme and or plot line of what it actually was about! - Then it would have been better able to appeal to the right readers.
- My opinion on the target audience for this book would be tweens, not t
Alexa
Jan 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
First Thoughts: 1 star, with the last third increasing marginally to 1.25-1.5 stars. Would have been interesting, but characters felt flat and plot moved along weirdly.

Honestly, I wanted to love Dangerous. I did. After all, it's a book by Shannon Hale, and I've enjoyed her writing before. Sadly, I didn't like it. It was a real disappointment for me, particularly since the concept sounded cool (and the cover looks amazing).

I can tell you the three things that really fell f
Burgandy Ice
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh… what a bleepity-bleep work of astronomical ART!

Part of me love-LOVEs this story, so many, many things about this story.

The other part about me feels like knocking on wood or not saying something too loudly so that it won’t come true. Because this book is horrifyingly real. It doesn’t just feel possible, it feels like it happened in the news and I just didn’t know what to watch for. Like I saw it, but I didn’t really see it. And frankly… that gives me a healthy dose of
Sophie
Feb 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Dangerous felt like a really bad joke. I went into this book knowing very little about it, and that still doesn’t explain how random and confusing it was. The characters lacked depth and personality, and the plot didn’t flow well and felt disorganized. Dangerous attempted to make light of dire situations and ended up being inconsistent and unfocused; the only thing dangerous about it was the heroine’s middle name.

Introduction
Maisie Danger Brown (yes, that’s her real middle name) wins a sweepstakes from a Blueberry Bonanza cereal box andname.
Sunil
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2015
Shannon Hale basically hand-sold me this book by describing the main character of this young adult science fiction novel as a "half-Latina, one-armed, home-schooled science geek." From my cursory glance at the cover copy, I thought the book was some sort of romantic space camp adventure, which wasn't entirely my thing, but at some point the main character had to save the world, and that is my thing.

This book is not a romantic space camp adventure.

This book is a fast-paced, fucked
The Library Lady
I am pleasantly surprised to see the number of people out there who agree that this is a crappy book!

It's a mish-mosh. One moment, Maisie seems about 12, next she is clearly a teen. The plot careens from side to side, adding more twists and turns that don't make sense. The romance/love triangle is pathetic and not believable. The love interest isn't a believable character. The added twists involving a parent's past are lame. And the ending is pat and unfortunately seems to leave spac
Mrs.
Action from the word GO. Adventure. Strong female lead. Strong female lead with a handicap that doesn't stop her. Strong female lead with hormones getting in the way of work. Strong female lead with awesome family members who support her. In short, everything a teenager feels most days twisted with a lot of danger and craziness!

The heroine, Maisie Danger Brown, always thought her middle name was a joke. She wasn't dangerous. She wasn't a person who lived for adventure or the next thrill. She wa
Jenny Schwartzberg
I got an eARC of this book from NetGalley. I felt cautious about reading it since I know Shannon Hale as a children's fantasy writer, and a very fine one. How would she do as a YA science fiction writer? I was happily surprised to find this book a galloping adventure story, mixing disability, relationships with family, friends and first love together with science-fictional technology. The heroine's very good relationship with her parents is contrasted against other characters' dysfunctional fami ...more
Kirsti
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
You know when you read a few reviews for a book, think 'I'll wait to read this, I trust these people and this doesn't sound like something I will enjoy'. Yeah, I did that and still bought this book. Derp.

Oh well, I got over that. I couldn't get over the simple writing, boring characters and mind numbing plot. Sorry, I need more than pink ghost things to get a real idea of danger. Unfortunately my only other experience with the name Maisie involves a child mouse on kids ABC programmin
Kate Willis
Jan 11, 2018 marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
I hesitate to write reviews of books I have not finished, because you never know if the book really does turn out to be amazing without finishing it. So please be sure to read some positive reviews as well! This is just my personal opinion of the book.

(view spoiler) ...more
Dawnia
Aug 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Ridiculous! I'm a Shannon Hale fan but I could not allow myself to keep reading this book. I read almost half of the book so I have a good feel for it. Once I got to the part where "Super Maisie" was swimming in the water holding onto the boat and all that, when she realized a shark just bumped her and she got scared, but then "remembered who she was and ate it," I couldn't take it anymore. I appreciate the attempt at a different genre, but it just didn't work.
Rosemary
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me begin by saying that I love Shannon Hale's work. _Goose Girl_ and _Book of a Thousand Days_ are particular favorites of mine, and I've also enjoyed the _Princess Academy_ books. Hale has an instinctive sense of what aspects of an older tale are still going to resonate with contemporary readers, and she draws on those aspects to create three-dimensional characters and situations that evoke both times gone by as well as timeless emotions and conflicts.

So, I was eager to read _Dangerous_, w

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Apollo's Outcasts
  • The Lonesome Young
  • The Door in the Mountain
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Grandmaster
  • Take Back the Skies (Tellus, #1)
  • Goddess
  • Expiration Day
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Mayday
  • Pledged (Soul Wars Saga, #1)
  • Killer of Enemies (Killer of Enemies, #1)
  • Salvage (Salvage #1)
  • Earth Flight (Earth Girl, #3)
  • The Inventor's Secret (The Inventor's Secret #1)
  • Relic (Books of Eva, #1)
  • Scan (Scan, #1)
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's Reveng ...more
“Humming the Star Wars theme to encourage myself, I wobbled onto my feet. Sometimes a girl's gotta provide her own trumpet-heavy heroic soundtrack.” 15 likes
“We were quiet, two tiny specks glued down by gravity, peering at a universe that didn't notice us back.” 7 likes