Start by marking “Stevenson's Treasure” as Want to Read:
Stevenson's Treasure

Stevenson's Treasure

In 1879 Robert Louis Stevenson embarked on one of the most romantic, ill-advised but wildly successful quests a literary figure has ever made. Young, unknown, and in failing health, he journeys six-thousand arduous miles to make Fanny Osbourne his wife, despite the fact that she is already married (unhappily), has children, and is ten years older than he. And yet, from the ...more
Kindle Edition
Published February 23rd 2014 by Fireship Press

To ask other readers questions about Stevenson's Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stevenson's Treasure

Melanie Spiller
This book surprised me on several levels. For one, there was a romance as a central theme, and because the protagonist is male (as is the writer), it had a very different feeling and texture than other books I've read with romance as a central theme. I liked it!

Robert Louis Stevenson (of Treasure Island fame) fell in love with an older married women who'd just lost a child to serious illness. The woman (Fanny Osbourne) returns his affections, but is loathe to relinquish her secure but unhappy ma
Sarah Davis
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Stevenson's Treasure shares the story of a young Stevenson struggling to make ends meet as a writer while wooing his older, fairly stubborn love interest, Fanny Osbourne. Major obstacles stand in his way including his chronic poor health, extreme poverty and the fact that his love interest is already married with kids. Stevenson is a true romantic and goes to great lengths to achieve happiness and success in all areas of his life. I won't say any more than that to avoid giving a spoiler. :)

I was
Tony Riches
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson was one of the first novels I remember reading, so it was with high expectations that I started reading Stevenson's Treasure, by Mark Wiederanders, and I was not disappointed.

In the best tradition of historical fiction, Mark uses an informed imagination to fill in the gaps in his extensive research. This included reading dozens of letters between the main characters, many of which had been 'edited' by family members for the sake of decency.

As a strugglin
Tinney
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The characters in this delightful and unusual book are so real, so individual and three-dimensional, that they seem to walk right off the page. Louis and Fanny, the brilliant but eccentric couple, are extraordinarily well realized, but so are the others: Fanny's children, Louis's parents, their bohemian friends, and even the minor characters. Wiederanders's descriptions of places are also vivid and evocative, especially in the scenes set in California.

The reader is in good hands with this author
Tara Chevrestt
Sep 23, 2014 marked it as featuredonbookbabe
Did a fun interview with this author: http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2014/...

Find out how a visit to his son's house inspired the novel, how his mother and the heroine share some traits...and the documents he held in his hands from long ago.
Susan Hirtz
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Stevenson buffs, Mark Twain fans and history lovers
Recommended to Susan by: a friend
What is Stevenson's treasure? This tale will enthrall you with its romance and mystery. An obvious disparity between the beginning and what follows in Robert Louis Stevenson's life challenges the reader and draws you into the story. While our author leaves it us to fit everything together, we are led down the garden path wondering what happened to young Louis (as he is called) between first meeting his lover and his life in later ailing South Sea exile.

While we know much about R.L.S. and his ca
Joan
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
I thoroughly enjoyed this historical novel about author Robert Louis Stephenson. I was surprised to learn he'd spent so much time in Northern California. Local author, Mark Weideranders, masterfully blends well researched historical facts with engaging storytelling to bring to life a fascinating cast of characters!
Zuvielekatzen
May 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
blech - bad bad bad writing. I didn't even finish the book. The dialog was way too modern for the historical period! that really irritated me. I had high hopes too for this book...
Melissa