Start by marking “The Pursuit of Motherhood” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Pursuit of Motherhood

Jessica Hepburn

The Pursuit of Motherhood

If you've ever felt a crumpling in your chest when another friend tells you that they're pregnant… If you've ever wondered why everyone else seems to find it so easy… If you've ever experienced the pursuit of motherhood… This book is for you.

It is currently estimated that one in five couples have difficulty conceiving. Hepburn’s book which describes her long and, at time
Published February 2014 by Matador (first published January 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Pursuit of Motherhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pursuit of Motherhood

Start your review of The Pursuit of Motherhood
Laurie Prim
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a really powerful infertility memoir. The author is a highly accomplished, no nonsense business woman (she runs one of London’s leading theaters) who brings her “Let’s get this done” attitude to having baby via IVF after a diagnosis of unexplained infertility. But seven years of chronic treatment failure and grief is a storm that will batter the strongest of sails, and I found myself both cheering and aching for her, and certainly relating.

The author writes about her journey with unflinc
Leona
Jun 01, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
we get it, you lived in Oxford
Lucy
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this book at 1am and stayed up reading jt until it was light outside - I was gripped - I laughed out loud and shed quite a few tears. Extremely relatable to me, someone at the start of the IVF journey, I could have written some parts myself.
Laura Mainwaring
I bought this late at night and ended up staying up into the early hours reading it, finishing the book the next morning.
Hannah
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Good read about someones journey to have children that did not ultimately result in a baby!
Debra
May 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography
The Northern Bookworm
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Moving, thought provoking and honest. Helps to make what can be a very painful journey seem a little more hopeful.
Margaret Grant
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brave and honest.

Sarah Watt
I read this thinking it would give me some insight into what would motivate someone to go through 7 years of trying to have a baby including 10 rounds of IVF and £50,000 of debt. Not really. It was a blow-by-blow account of every harrowing twist and turn in the trying process, and was powerfully written in that respect, but there was no real examination of the underlying desire for a child - until the very end:

"... has the moment finally come to explore all the alternative possibilities – includ
Bookgirl
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read and one of the very few books dealing with this issue that get it right.
Lots of kudos to the author and her husband.

Small warning though: my copy's binding was pretty messed up, with every other page sticking together.
Claire E Johnson
rated it did not like it
Aug 01, 2022
Jessica Rettie
Apr 14, 2016
Natasha
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By my friend and superwoman Jess Hepburn. Compelling and simple account of her struggle to have a child and why she has since turned to extreme challenges instead e.g. Channel swimmer, marathon runner! Jess' voice is a wise one for my generation. ...more
Holly Stockdale
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Something Like Happy
  • Reveal: Robbie Williams
  • Lipsticks, Love And Lies
  • Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former Playboy Bunny
  • Peril
  • Uncanny Valley: A Memoir
  • Reluctantly Home
  • Under One Roof (The STEMinist Novellas, #1)
  • The Last House on Needless Street
  • In the Dream House
  • Freed (Fifty Shades as Told by Christian, #3)
  • People Like Her
  • Tender is the Flesh
  • Grey (Fifty Shades as Told by Christian, #1)
  • Ruthless Women
  • The Day She Came Back
  • Unnatural Causes: The Life and Many Deaths of Britain's Top Forensic Pathologist
  • Before (After, #5)