Start by marking “Seeing Through Stones” as Want to Read:
Seeing Through Stones

Seeing Through Stones

From Award-Winning, Young Adult author Rajdeep Paulus comes the sequel to Swimming Through Clouds, a powerful reminder that life is a battle you don't fight alone.

"I live in the in between. Between yesterday and forever. The way forward haunts me. The gap I must cover daunts me. And hope beckons, 'Run to me,' but I just learned to walk."

After a lifetime of abuse, the Van
Published February 1st 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Seeing Through Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeing Through Stones

C.P. Cabaniss
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.*

This novel picks up right where the first one left us. Talia and Jesse have fled home and are now separated for the first time. Each of them is fighting their own internal battles as they try to come to terms with what happened to them growing up and how they will ever face their father again.

In the first novel the story was told entirely in first person from Talia's perspective. Here we get a dual perspective narrative with chap
Saloni
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Seeing Through Stones is the sequel to Swimming Through Clouds, covering Talia's journey right where we leave off from the first book. In contrast to the first book, in Seeing Through Stones we get two different points of view, Jesse's and Talia's. I loved being able to see the difference in their thought process towards how to deal with their father. If you haven't read the first book, I completely recommend you check it out! Here's my review. Once you finish these books, come back and the spoi ...more
Laura Kurk
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this follow-up to her debut, Rajdeep Paulus quickly pulls her readers back into a heartfelt story that challenges our notions of family loyalty. Seeing Through Stones continues Talia’s healing journey, but, even better, it gives readers the long-awaited story of her heroic brother, Jesse. There’s something here for everyone, and perhaps the best part is Paulus’s weaving of multicultural characters and traditions into a rhythm as unique as it is refreshing.
Amy
Paulus has – once again – astounded me with a beautifully tragic novel. Her sequel to Swimming Through Clouds follows the healing process of the Vanderbilt siblings as they struggle to flee their history of domestic violence. Talia’s much-awaited story continues as she hides in a safe house for survivors of domestic violence, and Paulus contrasts this with the excitement of the story of heroic Jesse, who searches for his father in the streets of Chicago, thirsty for revenge.

Paulus’ slow, steady
Kathryn Svendsen
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, ya
Seeing Through Stones is the sequel to Swimming Through the Clouds. I would recommend reading the books in order. In Seeing Through Stones, we find Jesse and Talia escaping their father's clutches. But he's a high profile lawyer with a lot of resources, so how safe are they?

The story moves back and forth in viewpoint between the two of them because they are now separated. Talia's at a women's Center for Domestic Violence and Jesse has chosen to go on his own.

We learn more about both characters t
Amber Stokes
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Seeing Through Stones is a powerful sequel to Swimming Through Clouds. A hard but hopeful follow-up that separately follows Talia and her younger brother Jesse as they face their own demons and struggle to embrace an uncertain future.

Just because Talia is now in a safe house doesn't mean things are settled for her. Doubts and dangers won't leave her alone, and she faces some very difficult decisions. And meanwhile, Jesse is out on the streets, alternately chasing independence and revenge. Both m
Lisa Godfrees
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up after reading the first in the series. It picked up right where Swimming Through Clouds left off and took the story through its completion.

In many ways, I liked Seeing Through Stones better than STC. Partly, because I already knew the characters and was invested in them but also because the beginning of STC was difficult to read due to the subject matter (necessary, not gratuitous).

I also enjoyed Stones because we learned more about Talia's brother, Jesse. His story was dif
Adriana Gabrielle
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
5 star rating! Overall I LOVED this book. Finished it in a day, people. (Well if you want to get technical it was in a few hours but spread out throughout the day) It was such a beautiful and well written story and I loved it so much. So yeah, Overall? LOVED IT SO MUCH!

Also, I love all the characters in this story. (Except for those characters you are supposed to absolutely hate... *cough* I won't say any names in case you haven't read this or the first book but if you have then you know who I'm
Gretchen
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A few months ago I read Swimming Through Clouds. I love gritty stories with a steady stream of hope to pull me through. It was one of those books that stayed with me. However, I ALMOST deducted a star from my 5-star review. Why? Because it left dangling threads. It was like an unhemmed pair of perfect jeans.
And then Rajdeep Paulus gave us Seeing Through Stones. With the skill of a master seamstress, Rajdeep finished Talia, Lagan, and Jesse's story with perfect stitching. I loved Seeing Through S
Natalie
Seeing Through Stones is a solid sequel to Swimming Through Clouds. We get to know Jesse, Talia's brother, more in this part of the story as Talia and Jesse's POVs alternate throughout the book. Usually I find flipping POVs annoying, but amazingly it didn't bother me at all in Seeing Through Stones. I give credit to the author who has got my attention with this Swimming Through series. Well done again! It seems like I read somewhere that there is going to be a third book in the series??? That wo ...more
Fay
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seeing Through Stones is a book of hope, and I would recommend it to everyone who has been hurt, to everyone who had enough.

Full review on my book blog: https://bibliophilesoprano.wordpress....
Christine
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!
Jazmen
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine living your life wondering when and if your next breath will be your last. Will those shadows come out and press up against you with fingers you can't pry away? That is the way Talia Vanderbilt, and her brother Justice "Jesse" Vanderbilt live--constantly hiding, running and ducking the father that helped bear them.

The past is haunting them and it is threatening to take them down--the only difference is this time, this time they might be ready to fight back.

In this sequel, the story conti
Crystal
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-copy of Seeing Through Stones in exchange for my honest review:

The sequel to Swimming Through Clouds, Seeing Through Stones is told by both points of views of Talia and Jesse, giving us more insight into Jesse’s world.

Jesse is also a loveable character that has had more than his share of heartbreak and pain. His failed suicide attempt as a young teen left him unable to walk or talk for several years. Unbeknownst to his abusive father, and eventually with the help of his sister,
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
The second book in this trilogy, Seeing Through Stones picks up right where Swimming Through Clouds left us. If you haven't read that yet, just go ahead and do that now. Seriously.

While Swimming Through Clouds focuses on Talia's perspective, this book introduces her brother, Jesse's, point of view. After being entrenched in Talia's story, it was interesting to watch how events unfolded through Jesse's eyes. While I absolutely do not mind books that switch perspectives every chapter, there are t
Glenn Haggerty
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Teenage siblings Talia and Jesse escape from their sadistic father, Talia to a shelter and Jesse to the streets. But how long can they run from their relentless abuser and the sinister organization he represents? Talia must overcome her terror, face her demons and stand. Jesse, consumed with revenge, plots his father’s destruction, but what would revenge cost him?
Sequel to Swimming through Clouds, Seeing Through Stones resumes Talia’s story of physical escape and emotional healing from a night
Nomadic Reader
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Seeing Through Stones, the sequel of Swimming Through Clouds, rewards the reader with more Talia and Lagan, but even better, gives a surprising and exciting look into Jesse, Talia’s brother. Paulus does a wonderful job narrating Jesse’s story, and keeps the reader glued to the pages. Jesse, with his newly gained mobility, leaves home with one agenda: kill the one responsible for his family’s suffering. While Jesse crafts his revenge, Talia navigates the new world of hidden shelters for victims o ...more
Mary Kate
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novel was much, much better than the first. The first was full of very sappy romance that just really wasn't my thing, and was really hard to read due to scenes of abuse. However, this novel had plotlines I liked much better.

I thought Talia's experiences at the women's shelters was extremely interesting, and am curious as to what happens to her friend Jaya. Jesse too was a likeable and interesting narrator. And actually, it was very easy for me to tell the two narrative voices apart. That i
Ocelot
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful novel to read.

Talia and Jesse (Justice) Vanderbilt decide to run away after a childhood of abuse from their father. With the help of Lagan, Talia's boyfriend, she finds a place to stay. A safe house for domestic violence survivors for women. The location can't be given out to anyone, so the residents' safety can be upheld. Meanwhile, Jesse Vanderbilt tries to find a decent place to stay using a couple hundred dollars, plus some money that he gets from helping someone else wo
Nandanie Spahr
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I patiently waited for this sequel, and when it was released, I simply could not put it down. I enjoyed reading about Jesse; reading about the man he's grown up to be, and how the need for seeking justice for what's been done to him, his sister, and his mother is so essential to his well being.

Lagan and Talia, the hero and the heroine of this story make it all the more enjoyable to read amidst the horror that Talia and Jesse are running away from. Watching Talia grow into this courageous free-s
Beth Steury
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this captivating sequel to Swimming through Clouds,Talia, Jesse and Lagan continue the battle to find freedom from Talia and Jesse's abusive father, refusing to bow to fear or defeat. I loved getting to know Jesse on a deeper level, watching Lagan's commitment, devotion and love for Talia grow, and cheering for Talia's strength to endure in the face of extreme circumstances. Paulus explores this tough subject with hope and dignity.
Eric Waage
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing follow-up.

Rajdeep, you did it again. Loved the sequel as much as the first book. Once again I felt like I was right there with Talia, Jesse and Lagan, cheering them on. I have but one question - when can we expect another book? Please keep writing!
Kimmi Bailey
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
Have'nt read a good book lately.. This two book series stopped all that. wonderful story.
Trish Evans
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 almost 4
Traci Magee
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful sequel!!!
Jessa
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good middle book, definitely leaves you wanting to read the last one.
Kim Vrana
Lynn
Nov 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Perfect Glass
  • 10 Steps to Girlfriend Status (Bird Face, #2)
  • Worth the Wait (Waltham Academy, #1)
  • Seeking Unseen (Toch Island Chronicles, #2)
  • Black Tiger (Black Tiger, #1)
  • Georgetown Academy: Book Three
  • Moonfall: Tales from the Levant
  • The Hive
  • Of the Persecuted (Legends of the Woodlands, #1)
  • The Wulver's Rose
  • Two Renegade Realms (Realm Walkers, #2)
  • The First Principle (Emancipation Warriors, #1)
  • Mardan's Mark (Mardan's Mark, #1)
  • Impervious (Ascension #1)
  • Back Before Dark (Code of Silence, #2)
  • Merlin's Shadow (The Merlin Spiral #2)
  • Running Barefoot
  • So Over It (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #3)
Rajdeep decided to be a writer during her junior year in high school after her English teacher gave her an “F” but told her she had potential. She studied English Literature at Northwestern University, and she writes masala-marinated, Young Adult Fiction, blogging weekly at InSearchofWaterfalls dot com.

When Paulus is not tapping on her Mac, you can find her dancing with her four princesses, kayaki
“So...are you into stars?" she asks, and I swear I see one falling in her eyes.” 0 likes
“It was the character's job that swung my heart. He was a dentist who fell in love with a girl with crooked teeth." Nahida smiles, her eyes glistening. "He didn't try and fix her. In the story, he just loved her.” 0 likes