Start by marking “You Are (Not) Small” as Want to Read:
You Are (Not) Small

You Are (Not) Small

(You Are (Not) Small #1)

Two fuzzy creatures can't agree on who is small and who is big, until a couple of surprise guests show up, settling it once and for all!

The simple text of Anna Kang and bold illustrations of New Yorker cartoonist Christopher Weyant tell an original and very funny story about size -- it all depends on who's standing next to you.
Published August 5th 2014 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about You Are (Not) Small, please sign up.
Recent Questions

Start your review of You Are (Not) Small
Jane
5 stars for this simple little book about opposites and middle grounds. Nothing overly fancy here, but there was enough silliness to amuse me and my inner child.

Donna Backshall
Small or big? Well, it depends.

What a wonderful way to teach children that nothing is absolute, that everything is relative. And also to demonstrate that no one group (large or small, majority or minority) should get to determine what's "normal", to decide who or what sets the standard by which everything else is measured.

So few words, but so much meaning.
Cheri
There are so many books on opposites, but very few of them focus on the gray area of multi-step comparisons! What if you are big compared to one person and small compared to another? What do you count as?

I also really liked the diversity message in here: if you are part of a large group, does that mean you set the standard? Why does your group's idea of the standard need to trump another group's idea? It was a particularly compelling way to read the book for me, and I hope to find ways to have
Heidi
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not only is this a fun book about opposites, but the illustrations are adorable. When two fuzzy creatures get into an argument about size they drag their fellow fuzzy critters into it. It appears the argument will continue for some time until the arrival of some visitors. It always delights me when such seemingly simple books reveal themes and ideas that aren't so simple. Here the seemingly simple idea of big versus small translates into a variety of size comparisons. Not only is it a ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Who is big and who is small exactly? Well that is what young readers will discover as they read this book. Written in a way that early readers can read this independently, two characters and their friends argue about size. Funny and well done.
Laura Harrison
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very cute, funny and likeable.
Mahesh
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great first read

My 5 year old just finished reading this cute little book. That was the first book he had ever read by himself! His eyes just lit up after he finished it ! Loved it!
Cathy Mealey
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A plump, purplish bear-like creature is merrily blowing dandelion seeds across the opening page of this clever, humorous picture book. Enter one large, fuzzy orange-brown foot, stage right. You are small, says the new critter to the weed-clutching little one.

This innocent observation kicks off a spirited dialogue between the two. I am not small. You are big, purple critter retorts. But the larger one gestures to his pals, noting that he is one of many, all alike. Then more purple ones appear to
Tasha
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An orange bear declares to a smaller blue bear that the shorter one is small. The little one says that that is not true, rather the orange bear is big. The orange bear shows that he has other big creatures just like him and just his size, but so does the blue bear. The two groups start to argue and fight about whether they are big or small. Then another creature arrives and another one yet that help put size into perspective for everyone.

This very simple book has a great sense of humor
infoqueen
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When two fluffy creatures start arguing over who is big and who is small, (recruiting their fluffy friends to bolster their arguments), things start to get loud, until some unexpected company arrives to put things in perspective.
Anna Kang's text is easy enough for an early reader to read alone, and paired with Christopher Weyant's bold artwork as the visual punchline, this delightful picture book is sure to be a hit at storytime.
Ruth
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, 2016
This book is so simple, but so deep. Need to explain in-group/out-group dynamics? Use this book. Need to explain partisan politics? Use this book. Need to explain why I can be mean to my brother, but I will punch the first person to say something rude about him? Use this book.

It really is deserving of the Geisel award. A simple book, with simple words, and simple yet charming illustrations, teaches a lot.
Amy
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
Loved this book. Will probably be taking it with me to the read aloud sessions if I get to go to the first grade classroom.
Vicki
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Ha, ha, ha, ha......

Very cool illustrations.
Abigail
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Entertaining Children's Stories About Relativity & Perception
Shelves: picture-books
Two creatures square off about their comparative sizes in this entertaining picture-book introduction to the idea of relativity and perception. As the larger one declares that the other is small, and the smaller one that it is the larger one who is big, their companions all join in the dispute. The communal shouting match is interrupted by the advent of a truly huge and truly tiny creature, demonstrating to all that everyone is both big and small, depending upon whom they are being compared to.

Venus
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

Some things are about perspective. One animal may seem small to someone big, while someone small may see them as tall. When a third set of animals show up though, perceptions shift.

Reminiscent of How Joe the Bear and Sam the Mouse Got Together (I am aware that I may be the only person who is familiar with this book), this is your classic opposites book. The juxtaposition of the two sizes, the arguing, and adorable illustrations make this book very
Kristin
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You are (not) Small by Alex Kang, illustrated by Christopher Weyant.

This book was about two furry creatures who look at one another ant cant seem to agree on whether one of them is big and the other is small. But as the story goes on more characters show up in the story, that help the two creatures understand who is which. This story was a winner of the 2015 Theodor Seuss Geisel Award.

I would recommend this book for either kindergarteners or first graders. This book would be great for teachers
Pat Eells
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Little children
Recommended to Pat by: I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Shelves: first-reads

Thank you for this book, You Are Not Small. I won it in a Goodreads
Giveaway.

My Granddaughter read it several times and thought it was really cute. She has plans to read it to the little neighborhood boys and, who knows, who else. This is a beautiful hard covered book (with dust jacket) and
large colorful illustrations. The story presents a meaningful message, and the end is just great - funny. It is an enjoyable, short read.

I congratulate the authors, husband and wife, on their first book and
Kristen
Oh, I want to use this when we're talking math concepts of bigger and smaller as well as when we do a language lesson on small/smaller/smallest, etc. And I want to read it just for fun, because the ending tickled me. And it would make great readers' theater. Or a puppet show! Yeah, this works.

Pair this with "Duck! Rabbit!" by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld to talk about perspectives.

Use to introduce ideas of opinion and persuasion to youngers! Worked perfectly for first grade, who then
Shirley
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great children's book! The story is "small" and sweet while the illustrations are "big" and magnificent.

The book is perfect for bedtime reading and would also be great for first time readers. I bet non-readers could learn to "read" you this story.

I predict that You Are (Not) Small will become a favorite with my two and three-year-old grandkids.

Thank you Billiance Publishing for offering this book as a GoodReads giveaway.
Bertha
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Two creatures can't agree on which one is big and which is small. That is until another creature arrives to solve it once and for all.
The story is told with simple text and bold illustrations which were done by Christopher Weyant.
I read this book to a 2 year old she couldn't stop giggling.
I would recommend this book for storytime classes. It was not only a funny story but it also promotes talks about what is big and what is small.
Shirley Gillette
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

So cute! I especially loved the ending!
The illustrations are great!
This is a great book for size comparison, and a little bit about arguments.
I will be reading this book to my nephew, and I know he will love it!
Tia
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute

I found the book funny with great pictures. Has a good message. I would recommend. Find the similarities not the differences.
J
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun book. All the groups I've read it to have paid attention to the end.
Corinne
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, kids
I found this book charming in how it covered the topic of size. Cute characters and a funny ending.
Joelle
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lovely book that teaches children to consider various perspectives-- as well as the power of the word "and".
Sandy Brehl
With only 90+ words in total, and the full extent of vocabulary used at fewer than thirty words from the very earliest sight vocabulary lists, this recent release has managed to achieve the Seuss-like magic. It provides families and emerging readers with a "read-it-again" story that is jam-packed with humor, personality, and layers of bonus benefits. A story like this is an authentic way for kids to explore basic math concepts (big-small), language concepts (use of "not" to reverse statements, ...more
Monique
Aww so cute, just a little story about differences and two bears who learn about them together..So story starts with Bear One exclaiming that Bear Two is small..well Bear Two, offended states-uh, no Bear One you are big. Bear One returns with his family and says see they are just like me which means you are small. Enter Bear Two with his family who counters with well look they are the same size as me, which means you are big. With an argument in the works as both cant see the other sides point ...more
Leilah Skelton
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, what a delightful tale this is, simply told! A good picture book is able to convey a lot with a little. Brevity is key. Here is a fantastic example of how to convey a great message with a limited word count and uncomplicated but engaging imagery. I love it when an author and illustrator 'marriage' produces a great book, and I'm not at all surprised that this real-life husband/wife illustrator/author combo consider You Are (Not) Small as their third child. It is definitely one to be proud of. ...more
Leah Allan
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book that encourages us to appreciate our differences - using only a few simple words! Two creatures, one smaller and one bigger, both believe that they are the normally sized creature and that the other one is either small or big. They bring in their friends to state their case of being normally sized and continue to argue until two new creatures arrive - one smaller and one bigger, at which point they agree that they are all small and big, in their own right; but, more importantly, theyre ...more
Dana Hawker
Apr 26, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: children-s-books
You Are (Not) Small is a simple children's book that follows the argument of two creatures, one larger than the other, over whether the larger one is "big" or the smaller one is "small." While the language is very simple and straightforward, this would be a great way to introduce the concept of subjectivity in the classroom. Subjectivity can be a challenging concept for students to understand, and by using a simple book to lay out the basics students can build a stronger foundation about the ...more
SUNY Oneonta - Book Discussion/Lonnie Mitchel 1 1 May 26, 2016 02:57PM

• The Deep and Snowy Wood
  • The Hiccupotamus
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • You Get What You Get
  • The Bad Seed (The Bad Seed, #1)
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
  • My Triceratops Won't Wash
  • The Proudest Blue
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • Fox the Tiger
  • My Allosaur Has Lost His Roar - Childrens Picture Book
  • Have You Ever Seen?
  • The Shark Bully

You Are (Not) Small (4 books)
  • I Am (Not) Scared