Start by marking “The Gifts of The Child Christ Translated Ebook Edition w/ Linked Navigation Toc (Must Have Classics)” as Want to Read:

This beautiful Christmas novelette is told from the point of view of a little girl named Sophy, or as she calls herself "Phosy". Sophy shows that seeing the world as a child sees it can be the best approach for dealing with spiritual and emotional obstacles.
George MacDonald (1824-1905) was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister. Though no longer well known, his wo
Kindle Edition
Published May 6th 2011 (first published January 28th 1973)

Be the first to ask a question about The Gifts of The Child Christ Translated Ebook Edition w/ Linked Navigation Toc

Start your review of The Gifts of The Child Christ Translated Ebook Edition w/ Linked Navigation Toc (Must Have Classics)
Emily Brianne
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good story
There are days when I just want to read a story... nearly every time that happens, I pick up this book. I realize they are childrens stories, but they are so much more. My soul is full when I read George McDonald.
John Woolley
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb collection of stories. The standouts, to my mind, are "The Gifts of the Child Christ", "The Butcher's Bills", and "Port in a Storm".
Rob and Liz
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
First I tried to read this to 5 year old Bridget and couldn't maintain her interest. Then I read it for myself. I love it.

George MacDonald is a master of fairy tales and allegory. Both C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien attribute much of their inspiration to MacDonald's examples. Lewis said that, "MacDonald baptized my imagination." This book of short stories is MacDonald at his best. The first story is one of my favorite Christmas stories, "The Gifts of the Christ Child." Sad and sweet.

The rest of t
Eileen
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
ⓒ 1973. Imaginative short stories by Scotland's Christian non-conformist par excellence. If only the world and the people in it could be as he imagined...
Barb
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realized I'm not a huge fan of fairy stories.
Kathy
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet soul story. Where children reach adults, and Christ remains alive.
Seymour
A comfortable little selection of tales, most of which are not George MacDonald at his absolute best, i.e. the stories are grounded in the real world and populated with everyday characters rather than being fantastical fairy tales. However, there is a pleasant thread of grace running through, them as typically they describe commonplace and not particularly likeable characters waking up to something beyond themselves. This collection of stories gives hope and awakens the reader to the operation o ...more
Amy
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Possible spoiler.

I'm very conflicted on my rating. Part of me wants to do 3 stars because the ending was very abrupt. And part wants to do 5 because it was a lovely book, and it was moving/convicting. So I've settled on 4. If you've ever experienced a death around Christmas time this book will probably bring those memories to the front of your mind.
William Newsom
Jul 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just re-read the essay from this book, "The Fantastic Imagination," in preparation for a talk I'm doing on "How to Make Your Children Love Stories" at the Veritas Press Teacher's Training Conference in late July. This essay by MacDonald, along with his fairy tales, are recommended for families wanting to fill their homes with good stories.
Amy Wood
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
G.K. Chesterton wrote "It is easy to be heavy, and hard to be light." I think he had the story of the Light Princess in mind when he said those words. The Light Princess is my favorite fairy tale in this book of short stories by George MacDonald. If you enjoy fairy tales, few are as graceful and strange as the ones in this book.
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Took me almost four years to get through this book. Some of the stories were ok but most of them were tedious, verbose, and strange beyond what I would normally appreciate in fairytales. So glad to be done with it.
Amy
Apr 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the child-like
MacDonald's children stories are the best. 'nuff said.
Debra
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tender, insightful, fierce and, often, blunt in their morals, these are the best fairy tales ever.
Sheri-lee
Again...short stories...some I really liked, others okay. So, today it's a 3.
Jan Strong
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He is tedious and verbose-but I love George McDonald-these are classics and amazing stories
Wilsontherocker
This contains one of my all-time favorite stories, "The Golden Key," a story that I first read in elementary school and still manages to instill in me awe and wonder.
Jeslyn
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fine writing here, with the exception of last of the stories, a play entitled If I Had A Father - not my cup of tea, and not MacDonald's forte, imo.
Ann
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an audio book from LibriVox.

Stephen
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The light Princess and the Painter stories were the best MacDonald I have read thus far.
Ela

• Narcissus and Goldmund
  • The Spire
  • The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
  • Be Here Now
  • War Horse (War Horse, #1)
  • Comedy Sex God
  • Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
  • The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street
  • The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession
  • 101 Chicken Keeping Hacks from Fresh Eggs Daily: Tips, Tricks, and Ideas for You and your Hens
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
George MacDonald was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister.

He was educated at Aberdeen University and after a short and stormy career as a minister at Arundel, where his unorthodox views led to his dismissal, he turned to fiction as a means of earning a living. He wrote over 50 books.

Known particularly for his poignant fairy tales and fantasy novels, MacDonald inspired many authors, such

News & Interviews