Start by marking “Through Streets Broad and Narrow (Ivy Rose Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Through Streets Broad and Narrow (Ivy Rose Series #1)

Through Streets Broad and Narrow

(Ivy Rose #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  2,006 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
On New Year’s Day 1925 Ivy Rose Murphy awakes to find her world changed forever. Her irresponsible Da is dead. She is grief-stricken and alone – but for the first time in her life free to please herself.

After her mother deserted the family, Ivy became the sole provider for her da and three brothers. Pushing a pram around the well-to-do areas of Dublin every day, she begge
Published January 8th 2014 by Poolbeg Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Through Streets Broad and Narrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through Streets Broad and Narrow

Tony Hisgett
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, review
I enjoy reading historical mysteries and when this special offer from Amazon appeared in my e-mail I though I would give it a try, as it appeared to have many of the elements I look for in this type of novel.

The three most important things I can say about this book are;
From the moment I started reading I didn’t put it down until I had finished every last word
The first thing I did after finishing the book was go to Amazon and download the next book. Actually that’s a lie I went to bed first as
Jon Abbott
A young woman in Dublin in the 1920's father (her "da") dies after having cleaned out every penny in their hovel, including money for the rent. Since age 9 and the flight of her Ma to a life somewhere else, the pennies earned by Ivy Rose alone are all that have kept her lazy but oh so handsome Da and her 3 olders brothers, all now departed, in a bit of food and rough shelter. Ivy is now on her own.

Read this story before? Think she is going into service in some great house? Or, perhaps she will f
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was left feeling very optimistic and empowered, especially as a woman. The story of Ivy Murphy is one of eventual triumph despite all the odds stacked high up against her. I felt myself sympathizing for Ivy at the beginning but then shifted to rooting for her as she fought her way to secure a better life for herself. It is Ivy's core inner beauty and strength that carries her across the finish line in the end. This book is a must-read.
Heelqueen
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story of ivy rose Murphy and the life and times of Dublin in the 192os.
This book was a delight to read. I felt like I had stepped back in time to Dublin in the 1920s. A life of hardship and poverty that shows that even though they were hard times the little community was very tight knit and there was nothing a good cup of tea couldn't solve.
Jackson portrays life in the 20s so vividly and well you can't help but feel you are a visitor watching all the characters. Growing to love them or loa
Connie D
Sep 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-for-me
It used to be rare for me to stop reading a book, but it didn't take long for me to quit this one. There are too many inconsistencies and awkward problems (including historic accuracy and general logic) for me to keep reading it.

Also, why would both the coroner's assistant and the daughter think (rather dreamily and repeatedly) about what a fine specimen the dead corpse is? Ugh.
Ellen Whiting
Oct 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Don't waste your time. The story itself is interesting, but the writing is terrible.
Saskia
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A book that makes you grateful of the little things in life
Pat K
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historic-fiction
This is a really charming story. Not a litarary book but well written and engaging. I got this book free through bookbub, but have bought the next two in the series. I would recommend it.
Meredith
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved the beginning of the book, but it got formulaic and the ending seemed rushed. I am giving it a 4 because it was well written and I wanted to keep reading despite knowing how it will end...eventually. The formula demands that you read all 3 books before you see the romance come to fruition. I may be suckered in because it is a feel good rags-to-riches book.
Mary
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Good for a first novel. A little clunky and a little forced. Good characters but the plot needs work: more excitement, drama, and tension. Will probably not read the rest of the series, at least not right away.
margaret amato
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to read the next Ivy Rose book. She is so courageous.
Jaishree
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
A feel good, rags to riches story set in the Ireland of the early 1900.
Though the story is pretty predictable and the writing could have been better, the character of Ivy, who collects discarded garments from the rich to modify them for reselling keeps one reading to the end.
This was a freebie on Bookbub and is the first of a three part series. I don't see myself going hunting for the remaining books.
Karen S. Stockton
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very worthwhile read

Gemma is a new author for me. Thoroughly enjoyed the story and it was hard to put down. Delightful characters.
Debbie Gallagher
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I started reading this book without any expectations, I thought it would be like so many others I've read, very typical and light. But from the start I was surprised - by the story itself - which is absolutely gripping, particularly the characters - and just how well written it is. I can't wait to read more by this author.
Martha S. Heney
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read!

One of the best books I have ever read. Couldn't put it down. Definitely an epic wonder. Awesome! Well done.
Joan
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jonmontanavega
Nice alternative plot to the normal 'indigent young woman is befriended by rich older man and treated to an education' story. No older man; no man. Well, there are a few contemporary young men, but she (Ivy) takes care of them rather than the reverse. Definitely a young woman who makes lemonade out of lemons. Set in 1925 Dublin.

Don't read if you think that priests and nuns were the best thing ever for the Irish poor.
Tonya D Flores
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun read

What a great book. I love the premise of the poor girl coming up from nothing to a whole lot of something. And Ivy is just so likeable. The characters are real and they draw you into their world. This would probably have never really happened, but it is sure a fun story to read!
Valerie
Jun 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Very long, very sweet story about a plucky young Irish woman who grins her way through adversity. Even in bad times, she grins. Her friends grin. Everyone grins, showing just how plucky they are. Seriously, the word 'grin' appears on almost every page.

I liked the story, but didn't finish the book - it all felt too naive and simple.
Nicole
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pleasantly surprised

I was a EU reprised at the turn this book takes. Instead of being a cookie cutter rags to riches story. Ivy's journey is something different. Every character in the book is more than just a foot note in the story.
Mary  (Biblophile)
I really enjoyed this well-written book about a young girl's life and the hardships she endured on the backstreets of Dublin. The hard scrabble life she led and the times of the poor come vividly to life.
Jeanmarie Brenckle
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful!

I love a book that grabs my attention and doesn't let go.
I could not put this down. I looked forward to reading more and more.
Would recommend this book to all.
Totally enjoyed this book.
MR S OAKLEY
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Engrossed

One of those series which are so interesting you can go on reading for ever. I am looking forward to continuing the saga
Bob Boze
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Through Streets Broad and Narrow is an Irish Historical Fiction story that takes place in Dublin in 1925. The story centers around Ivy Rose Murphy, a young woman just out of her teens, left alone in the tenements after her drunken, abusive father drowns in a trough after stumbling out of the pub.

But Ivy is already a survivor, having been abandoned by the mother and brothers years earlier. Suddenly, she’s now free to lead her life as she wishes instead of being forced to conform to her father’s s
Theresa
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Patience pays off.

This novel got off to a very slow start and I gave passing thought to throwing in the towel and moving on to another novel. Life is short and the list of books in my queue is long. I'm really glad that I didn't give in to my impatience.

'Through Streets Broad and Narrow' is a wonderful, richly detailed look at a society in transition. The period after WWI up to the worldwide Great Depression saw great changes in rise of business, industry, the expansion of the middle class, and
Sandy
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled across Through Streets Broad and Narrow by accident but it was a lucky one for me because I loved this book.

Ivy is a wonderful character, resilient, brave and very smart. She is actually the daughter of an aristocrat although its never made clear why her mother would marry someone so poor and beneath her as Ivy's father; Eamonn who is a selfish, alcoholic jerk. Ivy is self-employed entrepreneur and after her father's sudden death her life goes through a series of changes that allow he
Cindy Woods
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good

Excellently written. The characters come alive in this story, as does the slum they live in. This is an eye opening story of the day to day struggles of a young woman and her friends and neighbors in 1925 Dublin, Ireland.
An underlying theme here is the power of the Catholic church, priests and religious fervor that drive these desperately poor people. The hypocrisy is enormous as the local church's Christian charity is on a pay-to-pray basis.
The main character, Ivy, is a unique young
Rebekah
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A series of Improbable Events

This is supposed to be a story of a woman pulling herself out of poverty, but her rise would not be possible without some truly outlandish things happening. The book has to really twist events to make them seems OK for the "heroes" to be doing, but how Emmy is brought into their lives is just not OK. (view spoiler)
Katie K.
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Read only for the social aspects

The title was brilliant! It caught my attention right off. However the writing was extremely choppy and simplistic, the sentences often being short, as if written for a middle school child. In addition, the heroine's name was repeated unnecessarily several times in one paragraph -- many times throughout the book. It was so annoying that I read only half of the book, then skipped to the end to see where the plot would take the main character. Descriptions of places
Mary Mehl
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good Read

This book is a grim but rich glimpse of early Twentieth Century life among Dublin residents suffering appalling poverty and deprivation. Through a combination of luck and her own considerable pluck, Ivy Rose, a young woman who has spent her entire motherless childhood scrambling to support her 3 younger brothers and worthless, selfish, abusive drunken father. When the boys move on to their own destinies and her father finally does Ivy Rose the only decent turn he has ever done her by in

Ivy Rose (3 books)
  • Ha'Penny Chance (Ivy Rose Series Book 2)
  • The Ha'Penny Place (Ivy Rose Series #3)

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
“A library — a place full of books! Imagine!" Ivy couldn't imagine a place closer to heaven. Think of all the books you could read!” 4 likes
“As you pass through life pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. Anon” 3 likes