Start by marking “The Shadow Prince (Into the Dark, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Prince (Into the Dark, #1)

The Shadow Prince

(Into the Dark #1)

Haden Lord, the disgraced prince of the Underrealm, has been sent to the mortal world to entice a girl into returning with him to the land of the dead. Posing as a student at Olympus Hills High—a haven for children of the rich and famous—Haden must single out the one girl rumored to be able to restore immortality to his race.

Daphne Raines has dreams much bigger than her t
Published March 11th 2014 by EgmontUSA

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Prince, please sign up.
getchristylove They built the city around the portal to keep it private and hidden but yet accessible.
YA Novels of 2014
1,545 books — 9,150 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareCress by Marissa MeyerIgnite Me by Tahereh MafiThe One by Kiera CassSilver Shadows by Richelle Mead
2014 Releases
640 books — 1,175 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
You are Haden. An out-of-favor prince of the Underrealm. You are---by miracle to end all miracles, The One.
“I am the infallible voice of the universe,” the priest says, his voice echoing as the Oracle speaks through him once again. “I have chosen my Champion. The boy is the one who can save you.”
You are the savior of your people. You alone are chosen to bring the Cypher back, to restore what the Skylords have taken from the Underrealm.

So, uh, how exactly are you going to do that, young Haden?
Sara Raasch
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haden is basically Zuko.

If that doesn't make you want to read this book, well, then...

ZUKO.

I mean, c'mon, now.
Taschima
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
While I might not be the biggest fan of The Dark Divine I am a proud supporter of The Shadow Prince. Wow! Shadow prince is full of secrets, magic, and conflict. Bree Despain managed to create not one but TWO interesting worlds in one read, and two distinct voices that propel you to read well into the night.

Haden was a prince in the underworld, that is until he did something to piss off his father. Ever since then Haden has been subject to ridicule and mistreatment. Nobody vouches for him and the
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I'm going to try to keep this nice and clear. Do not bother with this book. That is the best and only advice I can give you.

But why Mel? It looks soooo good!

The characters.

Haden Lord has a pretty crappy life in the Underrealm. He's disowned by his father, despised by his twin brother and shunned by everyone else. However, when King Ren (his father) seeks out the help of the Oracle to see who is most fitting to go on the the quest to save the Underre
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
I'll just come right out and say it so you don't run after me with pitchforks later.

***Spoiler Fucking Alert***

Damn. This book started out so good. First chapter in gives us Haden, disgraced son of King Ren of the Underrealm. Haden gets chosen by the Oracle to complete a quest in the Overrealm, much to the disdain of his twin (asshole) brother as well as his father. His quest? To bring back a Boon, a girl. Not just any girl. A very important one. One that is the key to saving the Underrealm. A
Giselle
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review.

I really enjoyed this one. It was super long but I was never bored for some reason. There was always something happening to keep the plot moving. Not a whole lot of romance which is refreshing! And I love how I'm thrust right into the world, and I couldn't leave. I just wanted to know more. Even though there are multiple point of views, I wasn't confused, and it made the experience that much more brighter.

I
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Generally speaking, there are two types of YA books. There are YA books that take place in the modern world in which the MC(s) are 18 or almost 18 and therefore an “adult” and not completely subject to the rules and restrictions of their parents, OR they take place in a post-apocalyptic or fantasy world where age is only obliquely relevant b/c there’s no such thing as high school, and everyone from adolescence onward is expected to contribute like an adult. Then there are
AH
Update 12/25/14 The Shadow Prince was chosen as one of Badass Book Reviews favorite Young Adult/New Adult Fantasy books of 2014. Read all about it here.

I've always been fascinated by Greek mythology. The Shadow Prince incorporates elements of Greek mythology into the narrative, creating an intriguing story set in present day Arizona and California.

Daphne has been hidden in plain sight in the small town of Ellis Fields in Arizona. She is not allowed to learn how to drive, nor has she been allowed
Colleen Houck
I love Hayden. He's the kind of guy I want to read more about. I loved learning interesting things in this book like about music disorders and how to deal with drunk, rock star fathers. Loved the twist on the Persephone story. Really fun stuff! Favorite thing? The hellcat.
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
This is a very interesting take on mythology and the Persephone myth! I have never read another idea quite like this one!

Haden Lord lives in the Underrealm and has been disgraced by all of his people, even his own father, the king. So it is a surprise for everyone when Haden is chosen as the Champion, whose job is to go to the mortal world and bring back a boon (a girl). As there are no girls born in the Underrealm). But this
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Egmont USA and Edelweiss.)
Haden is a disgraced prince of the underworld, sent by his father the king to earth to find a boon – a girl called Daphne Raines.
Daphne lives in a small town that her mother never lets her leave, until her rock-star father bursts in, and takes her to live in a swanky community, and enrols her at a school with a music programme – exactly what Daphne has always wanted.

Haden knows
Rebekah
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-addiction
Original Review found at: www.beawesomebeabooknut.blogspot.com

Wow! I loved the creativity behind the world-building! The world building is the first thing you notice in this story.The Underworld had it's own hierarchy system with it's own backstory. The author made this world dark and haunting and was quite fascinating This was a fresh new take on the Persephone & Hades myth, and the world felt so real, with the re-imagining so inventive! I really liked how the author integrated the Greek my
Liviania
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked The Dark Divine trilogy, so I was eager to read Bree Despain's next series, Into the Dark. This series puts a modern spin on Greek mythology. THE SHADOW PRINCE concentrates on the stories of Persephone and Hades and Orpheus and Eurydice. If that doesn't give it away, yes this book does deal quite a bit with the Underworld. In fact, protagonist and co-narrator Haden Lord is a prince of the Underworld. A disgraced prince, but that doesn't stop the Oracle from picking him as a Champion. His ...more
Mihlean
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.25 stars

This book was very enjoyable - even though at some points, I wanted to just, bash my head into a wall.

I really liked the twist of the world of Greek mythology - the gods know how much I love mythology - but the characters quite annoyed me at times.
Not the 'I want to jump into this world and beat them up' but (like I said in the first sentence of this review) the 'I want to bash my head into a wall' kind of annoying.

Daphne is that girl. That girl everyone envies. She's gorgeo
Sara Larson
Wow, what a ride! I tore through this book. So glad I got the chance to read the arc--except now I have to wait even longer for the next one!!
Dark Faerie Tales
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Wonderfully woven story with interesting characters, captivating mythology, and action-packed adventure. This is a unique retelling of the Hades and Persephone myth and it was written beautifully!

Opening Sentence: I did the unforgivable the day my mother died, and for that I’ve been punished every moment of my life.

The Review:

Haden Lord has spent most of his life as the disgraced child of the king of the Underrealm. When his mother died he d
Christa
I checked this one out from Overdrive and was about half way through when it returned itself. I debated on checking it out again but I wasn't that into the story. Maybe some other time.
Mitchii
For some reason, the story reminded me of these post-Twilight books. It was…nostalgic and strangely refreshing. There’s something about these books that is so easy for me to read, not that they are shallow or anything like that. I mean that in very positive way. They are remarkably entertaining for me. I liked Bree Despain’s The Dark Divine series though not so much with the ending; but overall I really liked it. So it was unquestionable that I automatically added The Shadow Prince (it was Into ...more
Wart Hill
This looks like possibly one of the most ridiculous Hades/Persephone retellings ever in all of the ever.

I might have to read it.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Wow. That was one of the most boring waste-of-potential I've ever read. I made it to about 65% and them skimmed to the end, and kids? It wasn't pretty.

Short review to come.
Emma
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow really interesting twist on Hades & Persephone myth. I can't believe I have to wait til next year to find out what happens.
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
For fans of Percy Jackson, here is another good one!
Deborah
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Good start to a series. I haven't read a series in a while and forgot how much more slowly relationship building is because they have to arc it over 3+ books. The story sucked me in right away and I actually think my 14 year old would like this series.

Sana Zameer
I love Greek Mythology but this is one of the most boring and ridiculous Persephone / Hades retelling I've ever read!
Taylor
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, anyone who likes fantasy/ mythology
I don't know wether to give this book five stars or 4.5.

Haden is a disgraced Underlord in the Underrealm who is selected to bring back Daphne Raines in a attempt to restore his relationship with his father and his place in court.

Daphne is stuck in a small town and wants to break free and become a singer just like her estranged father. One day her father shows up with a way to get out of town and the attempt are her biggest dream.

As Haden and Daphne get to know each other problems arise. Will Had
Nara
As far as I'm concerned, no guy is worth waiting anywhere for, not following, for that matter- prince or not.

Okay, I've been sitting here for 20 minutes unsure of how exactly to start this review. So screw the intro paragraph and let's get straight into it.

A very interesting twist on Greek mythology; it was intriguing to see a book where Hades is a (relatively) good guy rather than completely evil. And the way the author created her own flavour of the Persephone myth was great! Also rather aweso
BookLoversLife
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Shadow Prince was so so good.
Haden is trying to reclaim his place as his fathers favourite in the Underrealm. He is picked as Champion, much to the chagrin of everyone, and sent to the mortal plain to get his boon and bring her back with him. His mission is special though, his Boon is the Cypher and can repair the Underrealm and return what was lost.
Daphne is the daughter of Joe Vance who is a rock star. She longs to leave Ellis and find fame with her singing. Joe turns up and tells her tha
Andrea
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
This is a really good read, especially if you're into mythology and music.

When I first started I was hesitant because of it's length. Normally, books around 400 pages give too much info to take in, but Despain integrates it really well and it never feels like it is too much, and this is at 500 pages. The story really does move fast and builds up but by the end the big confrontation is kind of boring.

The actual myths involved are explained in multiple ways and I enjoyed having both Hayden and Da
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Thanks to Edelweiss and EgmontUSA for giving me this book to review.

Haden is the shunned prince of the Underrealm, but he, instead of his favoured twin brother, is chosen by the oracle to be sent to the Olympus Hills in the mortal realm. His job is to gain the trust of one girl in 6 months and bring her back as the boon to the Underrealm. All Daphne Raines want to be is a singer and move away from her tiny town. He
Rachel
I received The Shadow Prince from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Netgalley, Bree Despain, and Egmont USA.

I was so pleasantly surprised when I read this - I loved it! And it grew on me even more when I finished it and nothing was living up to this book. I was really excited to get approved for this on Netgalley, especially considering that Greek mythology is one of my favorite things to read about. I just wasn't sure since it mostly had to do with the Underworld so I wasn't

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • Alpha Goddess (Alpha Goddess #1)
  • White Space (Dark Passages, #1)
  • Darkest Fear (Birthright, #1)
  • Daughter of Chaos
  • Elusion (Elusion, #1)
  • The Deepest Night (The Sweetest Dark, #2)
  • Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga, #1)
  • A Shard of Ice (Black Symphony, #1)
  • All That Glows (All That Glows, #1)
  • Salvage (Salvage #1)
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Only Everything (True Love, #1)
  • The Woken Gods
  • Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
  • Avalon (Avalon, #1)
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
The Short: Bree rediscovered her childhood love for creating stories when she took a semester off college to write and direct plays for at-risk, inner-city teens from Philadelphia and New York. She currently lives in Salt Lake City, Utah with her husband, two young sons, and her beloved TiVo. The Dark Divine is Bree's debut novel.

The Long: As a kid, Bree would staple folded papers to make her own

Into the Dark (3 books)
  • The Eternity Key (Into the Dark, #2)
  • The Immortal Throne (Into the Dark, #3)
“After Haden is gone, I pick up the list of things I know about him and add 'sometimes talks like Thor'.” 7 likes
“All the little things will build on each other. Like that song you’re playing. It works because you let the tune build as you go. You don’t try to play all the notes at once.” 6 likes