Start by marking “Seeker (Seeker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seeker (Seeker, #1)

Seeker

(Seeker #1)

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  6,534 ratings  ·  1,529 reviews

As a Seeker, Quin will fight beside her two closest companions, Shinobu and John, to protect the weak and the wronged. Together they will stand for light in a shadowy world.

And she’ll be with the boy she loves–w
Published February 10th 2015 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Seeker, please sign up.
Megan (YABookers) Completely different. Throne of Glass is high-fantasy. Seeker is urban fantasy. The plot is completely different, and the magical elements are…moreCompletely different. Throne of Glass is high-fantasy. Seeker is urban fantasy. The plot is completely different, and the magical elements are completely different, as are the characters. Throne of Glass also has far better world building.(less)

·  6,534 ratings  ·  1,529 reviews

Book One of the Seeker series
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: February 10, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

For readers of A Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games comes an epic new series.

The night Quin Kincaid takes her Oath, she will become what she has trained to be her entire life. She will become a Seeker. This is her legacy, and it is an honor. A
Jolien
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014, fantasy
Originally at The Fictional Reader

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

When I read the synopsis of this book on Netgalley, I requested it immediately. I’m a huge fan of fantasy and this seemed right up my alley. It took me 6 days to read this, which is quite a long time for me. However, I’m pretty sure that if it had been any other book it would’ve taken me twice that amount. I’ve been so busy lately with university and I’ve been sick too. Yet every time I had to put this book down, it made me feel a bit sad. I l
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this novel was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Gah, can we stop with the comparisons already? I really hate it when summaries include these because it really tends to muck up the way a reader goes into a story, as well as what they take away from it. To me, this book was like no other I've read. It's told in third person omniscient from four different perspectives, and it'
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
DNF around 20% because it's not just bad, it's fantastically nonsensical and dull. And there's probably going to be a love triangle.

There's some weird steampunk fantasy dojo shit going on and I can't be fucked to find out what the mystery is.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 stars! A good story! This is hard to review! I was expecting fantasy from the description and the cover. But it's not fantasy. Well it is but, not like the fantasy I was expecting. It has aspects of fantasy as well as some sci-fi, steampunk, and even a bit of historical. It definitely is in a category of its own.I really liked that it was told in multiple POV's the beginning was slow but I was really wrapped up in the story by the end and I look forward to the next book, Traveler.
Pili
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't entirely sure when I requested Seeker if I was going to like it, since it was clear there was gonna be a love triangle, but it sounded like a very interesting fantasy so I decided to give it a try!

When I started reading I got rather confused at first because the world seemed to be a mix of fantasy and science fiction and it was a bit disconcerting at first. The change of POVs at first also didn't work too well for me, because I had no idea what kind of world this was, what the heck was
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I'm DNFing this sucker.

This book could have been so very good. Great premise and the characters aren't bad. It's that I can't figure out what the hell is going on. You have the main character Quin that is training to be a Seeker. What is a Seeker? Who the hell knows. I thought at first it was something good..then it seemed like it was something bad. I never got my answers..so I'm a shallow gal and it pissed me off. Then her love interest John knew what was in store for her..Did he tell her? Nop
Dianne
Cast off your belief in things you can touch, taste, see or feel, use your young adult mind, where everything is possible and you do not need to be spoon-fed every single page.Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton is an epic fantasy tale that sprinkles a little sci-fi and steampunk into the mix of dimension travel, time travel and the ever-present battle between good, evil and even the questionable intent!

Three young warriors have trained to be Seekers, protectors of humanity against evil. John, a talente
Janie Johnson
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
I got this book through Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. I was not too sure at first since it is fantasy but it is a YA fantasy and most of the time I do ok with YA Fantasy. I have to say that I really enjoyed this book and found it to be very engaging with a solid plot of good vs. evil.

In this book we have Quin who has undergone years of training to become what she thought was a very noble and honorable position, a Seeker. She later discovers that her skills were going to be used in
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

My mother and I were at constant loggerheads when I was growing up, and the reason for that was simple: she hated being questioned as much as I hated being expected to blindly follow orders.

It was a problem.

Stubbornly, she'd rail at me, demanding I do things "b/c I said so" (<------not a reason), and equally stubbornly, I'd demand to know why . . . and despite her having all the power, and my stubbornness resulting in constant groundings, I never stopped demanding to
Faye, la Patata
Mar 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book was amazingly bad.

Is that even possible? For a book to be SO bad that it's actually amazing???

This gem gave me a migraine like no other. I mean, check out my status updates to see its horrific beauty.

Recommendation: stay the fuck away.
Rose
Initial reaction: I have a feeling I'm being very (scratch that: EXTREMELY) generous with this rating. At a certain point, in the second half of the book, the book started flowing more smoothly and once I got into it, I couldn't stop reading. But that was over 70% into the novel, and that vexed me to no end. That was too long, and half of the questions I had about the (read: very, VERY vague) worldbuilding and realm this book established weren't even halfway answered. Timelines and style of dial ...more
Kathylill
Nov 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNFed at about 40% …

So first of, if you advertise something as “for readers of A Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games” then you are setting a book up for failure. Nothing can compare to one of the best epic fantasy and the most successful dystopian series there currently are. It’s simply disappointing if Marketing and PR people feel the need to be so unimaginative and unoriginal. I don’t understand why you have to compare a new book at all?

Secondly the book itself is not written well. I had a
Marianna
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Perhaps I would have rated this book a 4.5; however, after reading so many unfavorable reviews, I decided to rate it a 5.5 because I think that this book has been somewhat misrepresented. If you are a fantasy fan and you are willing to stick to the book until the end, be patient, pay attention to details and remember what you are reading, you will really enjoy this book. The answers are there if you will only stick a
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Seeker was definitely one of the novels that made me lose time & engage in the story of Quin, Shinobu, and John. Although with starting out somewhat slow, I loved the history that was held behind it & the great research that author did in order to tell us the story that went on in Scotland and Hong Kong. I'm pretty curious about how the author chose these two places because I cannot think of any other places that could have been more different.

Story begins when Quin, her cousin Shinobu,
Caitlin
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

SEEKER is EPIC--a truly imaginative and entertaining YA Fantasy/Sci-Fi novel. Talk about some serious world building and a fascinating mix of genres. There was a little bit of everything going on here: high fantasy, science fiction, maybe even steampunk...? I'm in awe. Arwen Elys Dayton, you made it work girl!

I normally don't care for novels with more than one or two narrators, but it was fun to see 4 very differen
Diayll
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher & NetGalley
Reviewer: Ariel

Seeker is the first book in a new series by Arwen Elys Dayton. Advertised towards fans of The Hunger Games and A Song of Ice and Fire, Seeker is a unique fantasy novel, one that shows a promising start to a new series. I, myself, still have not read The Hunger Games or A Song of Fire and Ice, so I can’t say if the book will actually appeal to fans of either of those ser
Pam (YA Escape)
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*ARC received from publisher via NetGalley

I loved this book and here's why:

1. Unpredictable plot. I had no idea what was going to happen and when I thought I did, I was wrong. I don't want to say much more because I don't want to spoil it, but the book spans a few years, there's violence and betrayal, and it's set in a world that is basically like ours, but you would never know it. In the beginning, it seems like it's set in a different world, like a fantasy, but then you get hints that it's sor
Jeff Raymond
On one hand, it's great to see a neat modern sci-fi/fantasy hybrid for the YA set. On the other, with a handful of unnecessarily weird sexually-charged scenes that don't match up with the book and an ending that more peters toward a sequel than moves full-blast into the next book, this ends up being just a good, interesting read as opposed to the great one with excellent promise I thought it was about a fifth of the way in.

The book basically follows three teens training to be "Seekers," some of
JAIME
Jan 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
ARC from Netgalley.

DNF @ 59%

I'm sad about giving this book such a low rating, because I actually like the concept. The idea is good, the execution was horrible.

It wasn't so much that the writing was bad, there was just way too much going on, one moment we are in old world Scotland with child warriors about to be inducted into a medieval brotherhood of revered knights, then one character betrays another - even though he totally loves her, the seekers fall and bang! we are in Hong Kong, where de
Mogsy (MMOGC)
1 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/02/21/y...

When I requested this book from NetGalley, this was in the description: “For readers of A Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games comes an epic new series.” I realize similar claims get thrown around a lot. Still, even in cases where I don’t agree, most of the time I can at least understand why a comparison to ______ might be made.

When it comes to this book though, I’m mystified. This is nothing like Game of Thrones OR The Hu
Erica Ravenclaw
DNF at 84%

Do you have any idea how bad a book has to be to quit at 84%? How little fucks you have to give about anything happeing? Here is the deal, I was chugging along with a mild distaste but considering my lack of reviewing and reading decided to just keep at it. I put it down for some reason, and never thought about it again. In fact, if it weren't for this being on my GR updates, I would have forgotten it entirely. My mind has already erased so much of this story... their names? Delete. Th
Alley Kat
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Seeker starts with the beginning of a new phase of life for three childhood friends. As they make the decision that will change their lives forever, a secret is unveiled.

The main characters in this story, Quin, John, and Shinobu, were very enjoyable. While John got on my nerves some times, I was empathetic to him because of his rough childhood. Quin was my favorite character during the beginning and end of the story because of her strong sense of self and purpose. The plot of this story was inte
Paige
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read. A really great read!
Cait • A Page with a View
DNF. Ehh maybe I just saw Scotland and swords on the cover and was expecting some medieval fantasy kind of story. But then one character was described as looking like a film star aaaand I realized this was not the time period I was going for. It's more like fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, historical fiction... kind of EVERYTHING thrown together (and not in a good way).

Part 1 took place in Scotland, but then they started jumping to other times and places. There were way too many characters, POVs, an
Katelyn
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great fantasy adventure! The author put a lot of thought and detail into developing the characters. Quin, the female lead, was very relatable to me and the theme of turning deception into motivation for making things right is one that resonated. After the first few pages I found myself anxious to keep going.

I definitely recommend this to any young adults that enjoy fantasy and like twists and turns throughout - can't wait to see where the author takes us in the sequel!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Heather
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Seeker was a fun and quick read for me. I started it one evening and planned on reading for an hour or so. Well, I stayed up and finished the whole thing. I could not put it down.
I enjoyed the characters in this story. Some of them I liked and some I didn't, but I found them all interesting and felt invested in understanding their motivations.
Even though the last thing I need on my reading list is another YA series, I look forward to seeing where the story continues in Traveler.

I received an AR
Mdoven
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I started reading Seeker very late last night. OMG!
Could not stop.
Read to pg 91! Maud! Had to tear myself away.
ARGHHH! Can’t wait to find our what happens. Great set up.

LOVE your book! LOVE your writing. Love your weaving.
Great suspense and tension and angst and longing.
HUGE.
So want them to be together. Love the love story and their ages.

Love the cool weapons.
Your ability to get into the head, thoughts, feelings, fears and longings of each character and take us there is fantastic.
Thanks and cong
Rachelle (RavenclawRachelle)
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a complete cover and impulse request but I loved this so much.

I was quite impressed by the concept and I appreciated the effort the author put into blending the past and present for the world building. The world building blended steam-punk and futuristic settings as well as bringing magic into the mix.

I thought this book had fantastic pacing and I'm really interested in the direction the
Andrea Reader
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Seeker was an extraordinary read. It cannot be compared to anything else it simply must be experienced on its own. I don't need a vacation... I was transported reading this book! The characters were so engaging- I cannot wait for the 2nd book so I can reconnect with them. I have recommended this book to my entire family young and old and they are all thanking me. I would start listing my favorite parts and favorite characters but I realize there are just too many. The book is perfect. I look for ...more

• The Last Enchanter  (Celestine Chronicles #2)
  • The Curse of the Thrax (Bloodsword Trilogy, Book 1)
  • Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1)
  • When I Wake
  • Nightborn (Thrones & Bones, #2)
  • Evolution (Extraction, #3)
  • Mindwalker (Mindwalker, #1)
  • The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant (V, #1)
  • The Glass Gauntlet
  • The Fire Artist
  • Strange Skies (Burn Out, #2)
  • The Memory Key
  • Thy Kingdom Come (The Navitas Epidemic, #1)
  • Sisters of Blood and Spirit (The Sisters of Blood and Spirit, #1)
  • Ennara and the Book of Shadows (Ennara, #2)
  • Woven
  • Obsidian Eyes
  • Tear You Apart (Beau Rivage, #2)
Arwen Elys Dayton is best known for her 2012 novel Resurrection and the YA Seeker trilogy. She began her career as a teenage staff writer at a foundation that produced Peabody Award-winning educational shows for PBS. Soon afterward, she began writing novels.

She spends months doing research for her stories. Her explorations have taken her around the world to places like the Great Pyramid (which she

Seeker (3 books)
  • Traveler (Seeker, #2)
  • Disruptor (Seeker, #3)
“She was a Seeker now, marked for life.
She had thought this brand would be an eblem of pride, but now it meant something entirely different. She was damned.”
7 likes
“Silence fell between them, until the Young Dread finally dared ask, “Were you a great mind, master?”
A real smile crossed his face. “You don’t ask if I am a great mind, child? Because I speak gibberish now? Let me tell you – I once thought I was a great mind.”
“And now?”
“Now it does not matter. Great minds are not what’s wanted. Only good hearts. Good hearts choose wisely.
“How does one find a good heart?”
“It is luck child. Always luck. With you, I have been very lucky.”
1 likes