Start by marking “Shadow Fire (Light Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Fire (Light Chronicles #1)

Shadow Fire

(The Light Chronicles #1)

Ashlyn – a free-spirited teenager whose peaceful life is shattered when the village elders honor her with a perilous quest to recover a stolen relic.

Zane – a jaded mercenary, torn by his undeniable desire for Ashlyn and the dark secret that could make her hate him forever.

Delistaire – a malevolent sorcerer driven by an insatiable lust for power.

All three are bound together
ebook
Published February 25th 2014 by Astraea Press

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Fire

Katie ®

photo f22d786d-2300-46b6-baca-d6ddc615bfcb.png

Let me begin by saying that I... love...MMO games (Shaiya) aka massive multiplayer online game! You know the games where you get online with tons of other players and you can kill monsters with your guild or pvp (player vs player) with other factions? Well I love those games! So when I began to read this book, and noticing all of these weird creatures, the reference to guilds, mages, mercenaries AND shape shifters it struck me! If there was a book written about the MMO games that I enjoy, this
Emilia Grant
May 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no-one
Rating: 0.5 / 5

I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Review:

It is a rare occasion for me to not finish a book. It has happened so few times, that I can actually count them on one hand. This is one of those rare occasions, where I forced myself to stop the torture about twenty pages shy of the end. I tried. I really did. But when a book drags so much you can’t bear to read more than t
Denise Bartram
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I received a gift copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

'Shadow Fire' is the first book in a new series from Kimber Leigh Wheaton. It's target audience is YA and I would recommend it to anyone that likes the YA genre.

Every five years a girl aged between 14-18 is chosen to be sent on a dangerous quest to recover the Goddess Statue. So far, none of the Chosen have been successful. Now, the time has come for someone to undertake the quest once again.
17 year old Ashlyn has had
Kristine
Original review found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received a copy of this book direct from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Kimber Leigh Wheaton for the opportunity!

This book started out as an adventure as Ashlyn set off on an impossible mission to recover a stolen goddess statue with Zane the mercenary by her side. It was very clear from the beginning that there was an attraction between the two and that we would be in for a good romance. Little did I know
Farrah
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet, light, and enjoyable read, Shadow Fire was a wonderful YA fantasy romance. I loved this book! With super sweet romance and a dangerous quest, this book was a delight. Loved it!

Ashlyn was a wonderful heroine. She was strong, clever, and could fight with the best of them. And, she was very determined when she set her mind to something. I thought she was a lovely, likable character.

Zane was absolutely adorable. He was a formidable opponent, yet he could be so very sweet. I loved how he was
Cat
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-review
I think this is a great YA book - easy to read, plot flows nicely, and good mixture of action, humor, mystery, magic, romance, etc.

What really confused me was the language used. I really have no idea where this book is supposed to be set (this world or another, past or future, etc). The language is pretty much on par with today's language, including borrowing from other languages (i.e. viola is French but used with the same meaning in English). Everyone seems to have the same mannerisms, regardl
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I was scrolling through my books looking for something new to start when I came across this one. I decided to give it a try and was sucked in right away. It had a promising start, but I lost interest at about 25%. I figure I could keep reading and be annoyed or just stop now.

I like how the story began and it seemed like it'd be the kind of book I'd normally enjoy, but then the insta-love happened and it was just over for me. There was no buildup whatsoever between H/h. They're known each other
Nicole Hewitt
3.5/5 Stars

This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Shadow Fire is a unique new YA fantasy, where magic and monsters come together to create a dangerous world.

Ashlyn has been chosen by her village to go on a quest to find an ancient stolen statue that will save her world. She is accompanied by a handsome mercenary named Zane, who vows to protect her at any cost. Together, they face horrible monsters and dark magic on their quest.

The negatives:

Focus on Zan
Zareena (The Slanted Bookshelf)
In Ashlyn's town, a girl is chosen every five years to go on a quest to retrieve the Goddess Statue. The journey is extremely dangerous and nobody has ever returned alive. Ashlyn has been chosen and she must go off on her own to complete what is essentially a suicide mission. Luckily though, she doesn't end up totally alone and a mercenary called Zane ends up joining her.

For me the plot in Shadow Fire was the best part of the book. At first I thought that the quest would take up the majority of
Jillian Lopez
I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Review may also be seen in my book blog Jillian's Books

This book was incredibly adventurous and slightly humorous! Not to mention, though, that some parts slightly didn't come to my likes as well. I loved the plot, the fact that there were mythological creatures everywhere! It was pure fantasy! It was like living in a whole new universe entirely different from our own. And that's what I absolutely loved about the book. It w
Christy Tanner
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shadow Fire
Light Chronicles Book 1
By Kimber Leigh Wheaton

Ashlyn is an exciting young heroine "Chosen" to make a dangerous journey to find a relic that would save her homeland. Previous Chosen never returned home. Ashlyn is forced to say goodbye to everyone she knows and loves and begin a journey that will forever change her life. Fortunately, she will not be alone. The dashingly handsome Zane Elistaire, a mercenary, has been hired to accompany Ashlyn on her quest, and boy, is Ashlyn excited. :)
Lisa Temple
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-teen - mature
This is one of those books that kind of sneaks up on you. In the beginning, I was admiring the writing style but really thought, "Okay - I get it - another 'Hunger Games'." I wasn't too happy about that, because (and PLEASE no hate mail), I wasn't all that crazy about "Hunger Games." I know, I know "Hunger Games' is the bomb - its awesome - its the rapture - WELL, sorry - it wasn't for me. I like my heroines a little more damaged - or so I thought. Ashlyn changed all that.

The red-haired main cha
Sasha Hibbs
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I truly loved this one! Shadow Fire, by Kimber Leigh Wheaton, is a snappy, sassy, sweet, all-that-kind-of-awesome-and-then-some YA read. I couldn't put it down.

Okay, so let's start with the cover: How gorgeous is it? It's beautiful, eye-catching, pretty in the way you want to pet it (or the black wolf, at least). Kudos to the cover artist/s. They did a knock out job creating a cover that after reading Shadow Fire, captured the essence of it.

Onto the novel itself. Where do I begin? The auth
Namrata Ganti
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful fantasy fiction that will keep you turning the pages to find out more. The story is about a quest and follows Ashlyn as she sets out to find the missing Goddess statue along with Zane. The story is filled with adventure and magic, romance, a number of weird creatures and an evil wizard.The quest forms the main backbone of the story and we are introduced to a number of characters who add some meaning and help us understand the central characters.

Ashlyn is a strong character, e
Jess (the cozy reader)
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Big thanks to Kimber Leigh for an ARC copy for review.

What a delightful YA fantasy read from Kimber Leigh's debut novel. It was fun, fast paced, action packed and romantic. Kimber Leigh creates a wonderful and magical realm with it's mythical creatures that's so easy to get lost in, trust me I did and I enjoyed every minute.

There is nothing that I like more in a story than a strong female character. The heroine of the book, Ashlyn, who is also the "Chosen One" is definitely that girl. She is br
Keeley
I received this book directly from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Shadow fire is a magical, exiting read that had me turning the pages! With a good story line and interesting characters it was enough to have me hooked!

Ashlyn is chosen for an impossible mission, a mission that she is not likely to return from but she is determined to do her best and give her all to accomplish it. I enjoyed that Ashlyn is a strong character, she can fend for herself and she uses a bow and arrow…that's
Kimber Wheaton
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, favorites, new-adult
***Author's Note***

Yeah, I fell in love with the characters while writing this one!

Shadow Fire is a lighthearted, fun adventure with a touch of whimsy and a sweet romance. It definitely takes its cue from the RPG video games that inspired it. It's the first novel in a series of standalone fantasy romances. Written for readers who like their characters silly at times and their 'ever-afters' happy.
Venture
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An extraordinary read. It has everything in it. The Chosen has been a death sentence until it gets to fiery Ashlyn. Many people want her to succeed but there is evil that wants her succeed for them.
SARIT
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 stars) http://sarityahalomi.blogspot.com/201...

Okay, let's start with the cover It's very beautiful and very eye-catching.

Now I must divied the story to 2 parts:

At the first part of the book- (approximly till page 160)

The story itself has a promising quality to it. But here is my problems - I really love badass heroines. those ladies that don't need to hide behind a man for protection. Ashlyn has the potential for this, she know how to hunt, she had a training in martial arts and acc
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Katherine Paschal
Once upon a time the Goddess Reiki roamed the earth and times were good. When her statue was stolen from the sacred temple, the world fell into discord and monsters started walking. Every few years a Chosen is selected, a girl pure of heart, to go on a voyage alone to retrieve the stolen statue. And every time, she fails with the outcome of death. This time Ashlyn was Chosen, much to her family’s horror. But she will not journey alone, instead, Zane, the handsome mercenary full of secrets, accom ...more
Stephanie (Bookfever)
I'm not gonna lie — I kind of had a hard time finishing Shadow Fire I did enjoy it for the most part but around 30% it started dragging a bit for me. It seemed there was no ending in sight. I am glad, though, that I did manage to finish it in the end.

What's this book about? The village of Verdane chooses every five years a teenage girl who must go on an epic quest to find a stolen relic. Though the girls who get chosen always end up dead, they don't have a choice. This year they choose Ashlyn. T
Nay Denise
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
**I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review**

Looking for a ya novel with a bit of magic and romance? Well this is it! Kimber Leigh Wheaton did an amazing job writing this book. From the characters to the world building, I was totally pleased with this novel. The beginning did drag for me a bit, but once the action started I was sucked in until the end.

A world ruled by a goddess, who has left her magicial powers in a lost statue. A white wolf who is in fact a demigod, the
Maghon Thomas
I loved this one. It's a fast paced action packed fantastic world building fantasy with some romance thrown in there too. I gotta say I loved the characters, but I totally loved the world building with all of the different supernatural beings in there. Magic, shiftersm mercenaries, secrets, betrayals, death. I mean, it's a great start to a fantastic new series!

Ashlyn must sacrifice herself to save her community. Every few years, a girl who is pure must journey a long way from home to try to sto
Julie

Check out my other reviews at Little Miss Bookmark!

First of all, fantasy is NOT my favorite genre. A long time ago, I read The Dresden Files because one of my friends said he refused to talk to me until I gave it a try. While not talking to him was a bit tempting, I figured that I would still go ahead and give The Dresden Files a try and I fell in love with them. I thought that nothing would ever measure up to that series. But I was pleasantly surprised with Shadow Fire. More than, actually.

Rig
Sasha Hibbs
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Onto the novel itself. Where do I begin? The author
Kristen Cansler
I've found myself struggling with how to rate Shadow Fire. It's surprisingly difficult. I enjoyed most of what I read, but I feel like I think about the technicalities a lot more whenever I'm considering the rating. There were certain things that didn't add up to me. The language, mannerisms, and euphemisms did not match the time period at all, and I got distracted by it more than once. But with all of that aside, I really did get sucked into the story. Besides the drag around the beginning, I ...more
Jessica Johnson
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The introduction was beautifully written, with such crisp details. I absolutely love this book!

Ashlyn is dealt a bad hand when she is chosen by her town to complete the impossible mission of finding the stolen goddess statue, luckily she has Zane by her side to save her more than once. With an evil sorcerer on their toes throughout their journey they constantly have to overcome the obstacles placed in their way. What an amazing and unique story I cannot wait to see what is in store for Ashlyn in
Deitre
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In search for something extremely important, Ashyln is the main character throughout this novel of excitement and adventure. If you don’t look close at the cover you may miss a piece of foreshadowing lingering in the background. As this book is nothing but a great page turner of entertainment from start to finish. Ashyln isn’t along on her mission. She has the handsome and supportive Zane to help her along the way. During their search they are faced with creatures that keep the reader on the edg ...more
Michelle Bryan
Shadow Fire was given to me by the author in exchange for my honest review.
My first thought when reading this was that Kimber Leigh Wheaton has a beautiful writing style. Every detail is written to perfection and the characters are well rounded. I thoroughly enjoyed the story line. There was plenty of action scenes but I did find some of the problems the characters encountered to be too easily resolved.
My only complaint about this book was the love story. I am so tired of the instant love roma

• The White Door (The Visitor's Series, #3)
  • Winds of Fire (The Arcadia Falls Chronicles #5)
  • Wolf Dream (Wolf, #2)
  • Envisioned (The Elemental Prophecy, #1)
  • Ascension (Gryphon #4)
  • From Origins (Descendant Prophecies, #3)
  • The Lebrus Stone
  • Meritorium (Meritropolis, #2)
  • Guarding Eden: A Midway Novel Book One (Hidden Wings)
  • Becoming (Lynnie Russell Trilogy #1)
  • Witch’s Bounty (Demon Assassins, #1)
  • Death of the Body (Crossing Death #1)
  • Uprising (Bonfire Chronicles #2)
  • Forever Blue (Ruby Blue #4)
  • Chandrea - The Return of the Avatar Queen (Averill, #1)
Kimber Leigh Wheaton is an award-winning, bestselling YA author with a soft spot for sweet romance. In addition to writing, she works as an editor for several publishers, as well as select indie authors. She shares her home with her teenage son, three dogs, and lots of dragons. Kimber Leigh is addicted to romance, video games, superheroes, villains, and chocolate—not necessarily in that order. (If ...more

The Light Chronicles (2 books)
  • Stolen Moon (Light Chronicles #2)