Start by marking “What Flowers Remember” as Want to Read:
What Flowers Remember

What Flowers Remember

"Most folks probably think gardens only get tended when they're blooming. But most folks would be wrong. According to the almanac, a proper gardener does something every single month. Old Red Clancy was definitely a proper gardener. That's whyI enrolled myself in the Clancy School of Gardening. If I was going to learn about flowers, I wanted to learn from the best."

Delia
Published May 15th 2014 by Namelos (first published May 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about What Flowers Remember, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Flowers Remember

Aditi
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, my-reviews
In the small town of Tucker's Ferry in West Virginia, there lived a middle-grade school girl, named, Delia, who is equally innocent and very naive, and loved gardening flowers and tending to them for ages- Indeed her passion! Her old neighbor, named Old Red, who is old as a hill, used to share the same passion of Delia. Together they used to plant the seeds, talked flowers and tended to every flower's needs. But when Old Red started forgetting stuffs, Delia fears that he would lose all his stori ...more
Vicki Tapia
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone dealing with dementia
Recommended to Vicki by: Jean Lee
What a breath of fresh air to find a book about Alzheimer’s written from the perspective of a young girl, someone who is able to see her elderly friend, “Old Red,” as a person, not a disease. Her endeavors to “help him remember,” are innocently tender, allowing the reader to see his decline through the eyes of a child. Those of us who are family caregivers might all learn a thing or two from Delia and begin the process to uncover a pathway to erase the stigma often attached to this devastating d ...more
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the small, idyllic southern town of Tucker’s Ferry, sometime in the near past (1980s?), Delia loves nothing more than learning about flowers and gardening with her neighbor Old Red Clancy. As the year progresses, however, she realizes that Old Red is forgetting things. Devastated to think that he will lose his memories, Delia decides to collect them for him, and write them down so he—and she—will never forget.

There was a lot about this book that I loved. Mostly, I loved the world-building and
Ben Blakesley
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Since reading Shannon Wiersbitzky's last book, The Summer of Hammers & Angels, I've been looking forward to what comes next for Delia, Tommy, and the entire cast of characters who live in Tucker's Ferry. I so enjoyed that book and Shannon is truly a gifted writer.

When I sat down to dig in to the follow up, What Flowers Remember, I knew I was in for another great story, but didn't know that I would find so much more than that.

Inside these pages is a deeply personal and affecting journey cent
Jean Lee
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What Flowers Remember by Shannon Wiersbitzky follows early-teen, Delia, through two years of her life as this sensitive young girl watches her elderly neighbor, Old Red, transform from a healthy grandfather figure to a man losing his mind and memories to dementia/Alzheimer’s disease. The entire small, close-knit community of Tucker’s Ferry, West Virginia loves Old Red.

Wiersbitzky artfully weaves this story of the emotional development of Delia by comparing human life with nature and flowers. Fl
Scott Haraburda
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Goodreads First Reads Giveaway Book.

------------------------------------

What Flowers Remember is story about a young middle school girl experiencing the loss of a very close relative, both having a passionate love for gardening flowers. It was easy to read, allowing the characters to come alive on the pages.

Shannon Wiersbitzky is college educated in business. It was clear that she put much of her personal experience with Alzheimer into this story, as though Wiersbitzky was reliving her own painf
Katherine
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
First off, I received this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads program. I'm so grateful for the chance to read such a wonderful book.

What Flowers Remember is a story told through the eyes of a middle school girl named Delia. She is friends with this old man commonly known as Old Red. They both share a love for gardening flowers.

Delia is pretty interesting for the short time that we know her. Since she is still pretty young, her naivety is believable and at times funny.
"I'm always the
Dawn Moews
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: n1
This moving story of Delia's coming of age against the back drop of Big Red's advancing Alzheimers is moving and real. I felt that I knew these people--I really don't want to call them characters. I would love to meet them since I already know them.

The organizational pattern of the novel--arranged as a monthly calendar with a reporting of what needs to happen in the garden--is excellent. The chapters are short, but tell their story well.

The text is spare but packs a punch. The old-fashioned tur
Kerry Cerra
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg
One day Old Red is training Delia as his flower apprentice, and the next he can hardly remember her. As heartbroken as Delia is when Old Red’s memory starts to slip, she turns her sadness into a town-wide effort to preserve Old Red’s best memories in a notebook, so he can pull one out at any time—to remember. This is a beautiful story of a girl on a mission to help her best pal regain the moments from his life that meant so much. Though a flower may wilt and die, its seeds have the power to live ...more
Shannon Hitchcock
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adored WHAT FLOWERS REMEMBER!

This book is a sequel to Wiersbitzky's SUMMER OF HAMMERS AND ANGELS, but the author pulled off a rare feat: I enjoyed the sequel even more than the first book.

Delia is growing up in Tucker's Ferry, West Virginia. She has adopted herself a grandfather, one who teaches her all about how to grow flowers, but when Old Red slowly develops Alzheimer's, Delia learns big lessons about living and dying.

WHAT FLOWERS REMEMBER passed my litmus test for a great book: it made m
Jane Healy
Having made friends with crochety neighbor, "Old Red," Delia goes into business with him, gathering and selling seeds from his flower garden. Old Red becomes less attached to reality as dementia sets in, leaving Delia confused, angry, sad, and desperate until she finds her own way to help. In some ways, she sets an example for the other adults in her life. This sequel to The Summer of Hammers and Angels revisits Tucker's Ferry, WV, and shows Delia growing up and learning more about the trials of ...more
Diane Ferbrache
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: friendship, death
Delia spends time with an elderly neighbor working in his garden. When she notices some personality changes, she is confused and hurt. This is a wonderfully sweet, compassionate, and well written look at Alzheimers and the impact it has on both the victim and the people who love him. Based on the author's own experiences, the theme is really about life, love, memory, and relationships. A lovely book.
Sheila Welch
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Shannon Wiersbitzky's first book, Summer of Hammers and Angels, will enjoy this sequel that continues the story of Delia and her friends and neighbors in the small town of Tucker's Ferry, West Virginia. Each chapter is named for a month of one important year as Delia takes on a seed-and-plant business and wrestles with the fact that her mentor, talented gardener, Old Red, has problems. Soon he's diagnosed with Alzheimer's and goes downhill quickly.

Delia is an appealing character with a t
Reetie
Kaycee
Nov 08, 2015
Marielle
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will make you cry in the best possible way.
Dianne White
  • Three Bird Summer
  • What I Came to Tell You
  • Samphire Song
  • Operation Oleander
  • The Elk Hunt: The Adventure Begins (The Adventures of Wilder Good #1)
  • The Frog Scientist
  • Jack Strong Takes a Stand (A Charlie Joe Jackson Spinoff)
  • The Hive Detectives: Chronicle of a Honey Bee Catastrophe
  • Mùa thu của cây dương
  • The Garden of My Imaan
  • Shooting at the Stars
  • Curiosity
Words have always had the power to move me. That is probably why I’ve always loved writing. It grounds me.

Besides writing, one of my favorite things is to kayak on the Sassafras River. My family and I spend as much time as we can there during the summer. We catch crabs , fish, practice cannonballs and read. As you can tell….it is not a stressful place.

My first novel, The Summer of Hammers and Ang
“Eyes aren't good liars.” 10 likes
“I'm not sure why, but when a person expects something to last forever, they don't notice the little things. It's only when the clock is ticking all those little things add up and become bigger.” 6 likes