Start by marking “Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook (Discworld, #40.5; Discworld Companion Books )” as Want to Read:
Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook (Discworld, #40.5; Discworld Companion Books )

Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook

(Discworld #40.5)

Authorised by Mr Lipwig of the Ankh-Morpork and Sto Plains Hygienic Railway himself, Mrs Georgina Bradshaw’s invaluable guide to the destinations and diversions of the railway deserves a place in the luggage of any traveller, or indeed armchair traveller, upon the Disc.

*From the twine walk of Great Slack to the souks of Zemphis: edifying sights along the route
*Ticketing, n
Published October 9th 2014 by Doubleday (first published September 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook

Tom Loock
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Let's be perfectly clear about it: this book has not been written by Terry Pratchett (it does not say "Terry Pratchett presents' for nothing). Instead it is by group of people associated with TP, who run a company called 'Discworld Emporium' that is licensed to sell everything Pratchett - very nice stuff, for a price. I have found some great items there over the years.

I did enjoy the latest Dicworld novel Raising Steam an awful lot and Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook is like an afterthought, an amusing
Tim Hicks
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was about what I expected - a pleasant addition to the Ankh-Morpork library. It's not big on jokes and cleverness, although there is some. It radiates a nice sense of almost-reality, and just makes Discworld a little more complete. There are some thoughtful notes about how a railway system would have to be designed for troll and dwarf passengers, and even a section about shipping medical packages Igor-to-Igor.
Just as in our world, the authors have obviously struggled to find something to s
Daniel Griliopoulos
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Christmas cash-in. None of the humour of the earlier books and the world is losing its magic. If you're going to pastiche a Victorian travelogue, then it has to be funny!
Colin Forbes
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
A triumph ... of style over substance.

A companion book to the discworld novel 'Raising Steam' which I read last year. This is written in the style of a travel guide to the new Ankh Morpork railway system. I don't think anyone who has not read that novel should even attempt this book.

As is the case with previous 'add-ons' to the discworld series, this is a beautifully presented book. The illustrations are excellent, the cover has the 'distressed' appearance of a well-used travel reference. Unfort
Cynthia Egbert
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an okay, if wanting, trip through some of the DiscWorld lands and places. It is not Pratchett but there are a few clever moments.

"The iron maiden, which would normally be part of the instruments of torture collection designed by Lorenzo the Kind, has been removed and in a modified form serves as a most efficient apple crusher."

"There must be a residual magic in that strand between land and sea."
Sorcha
Dec 13, 2014 added it
Shelves: 2014
This is a "Terry Pratchett Presents" book, which indicates that it's one of the Discworld offshoots (from the book "Raising Steam") and written by others in the Discworld Emporium collective. It's no bad thing for all that, and presents a nice little addendum that is actually more absorbing than such a slim book could usually warrant.

Written by one Mrs Bradshaw, this is a traveliing guide a la Bradshaws, Lonely Planet etc, which gives a description of the various stops along the line and a brief
Peter
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: terry-pratchett
Written along with the Discworld Emporium this is an amusing little travel guide to acompany Raising Steam. Now it's not a bad at all, beautifully illustrated in black and white and amusing if you have kept up with the Discworld books.
On the whole an enjoyable romp.
Kyla
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't realize that this wasn't actually written by Terry Pratchett, until I was reading it and found it to completely lack his witty style. It was boring enough that I looked it up and discovered that. Disappointed, to say the least.
Koen Crolla
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This is a companion to Raising Steam, which I haven't read yet. Like most Discworld companion books it's an in-universe artefact (I'm sure there's a more specific term for this sort of thing; I spent a long time trying—unsuccessfully—to find it after I read World of Poo as well), and like all Discworld companion books, it both tries way too hard and not nearly hard enough.
The conceit is that this is a travel guide, except when—for some reason—it's a scrapbook. Most of the illustrations, though l
Charles Harrison
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
You have to get your context right with this one. It is not one of TP's final works but an amusing piece of toilet reading put together by a team. I imagine during the writing process there was lots of sniggering but the level of thought is commendable. Very much true to the 'lore' of the Disc with mentions of septdays and octdays which got quite rare in the main novels. Only one thing bugged me and that was the size of the towns; given that AM is around 1M they just seem too small for the major ...more
Sam
This is a quaint little addition to the Discworld series that pulls together the descriptions and customs of all the little towns and villages found along the lines of Discworld. While this is clearly not written by Pratchett itself it does manage to retain some of the feel of his writing, making sure those extra little details are covered including whether the various accomodations have en suites or when the town market day is (I'm sorted should I ever visit Discworld and ride the rails). It do ...more
Himanish Prabhakar
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read a lot of fantasy books but I never read Terry until one of my friend suggested me to do so and that was the time I started to read "Discworld" series by Terry from the Book 1. After reading the whole series I would definitely admit that I was missing something that I should not have because he was a writer that have a charisma in him to put down such a words that will take you away. So amazing writing. There is nothing you can compare his work to, unique and classic.

I loved the whole
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Took me a while to place where in the timeline this was, since I didn't look at the book number first, but once they said Queen Magrat, I knew exactly when this was.

Reading this was a bit like coming home. I think it's been almost 2 years since I read the last book in this series and endured the most sadness I've ever experienced after a book in knowing that Terry died during its authorship. This was beautiful.
Matthew Langner
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although it is not a traditional book in the sense of the discworld books, it does give you insight into the areas not normally seen in the main line stories. Written like a guide book it gives you useful information about the area your train journey is passing through. Don't expect big laughs like in the other books but it dose have it moments. Enjoyable read.
Al Brown
Something less than what I was expecting. Good enough I guess.
Rich
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
On to pick up and read a few pages every now and then.
Alice
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans
It's ... nice ...
No wit ore wisdom. Just informations about the towns along the tracks..
It was ok. And only for fans of the Discworld.
Eolake
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short book, but excellent and funny, especially if you have read the also excellent Raising Steam.
Michael
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Irrelevant.
Tasneem
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as good as most of Pratchetts.
Joshua
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, discworld
This is definitely for folks who LOVE Discworld. There's no story, but it's a fun look at all the worldbuilding that went into the series.
Priya Agarwal
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book; it's just in another writing style - not as funny.
Dave
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: terry-pratchett
I just wish there was more.
Anke
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Nice if you're a Pratchett fan. Otherwise probably totally incomprehensible.
Jan Van
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall meh, but nostalgia hit. Entertaining yet a tragic reminder that with the loss of Pratchett the DW universe has stopped growing.
Katy
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute.
Richard Hickey
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what an interesting world.....Terry Pratchett had a world wide imagination
Liz Michaels
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud at some of the places. But then Pratchett always delivers.
Akash
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
The toilet paper's better.
Erika
A cute addition to the Discworld family, making the Disc just a little more real.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Terry Pratchett's Discworld Imaginarium
  • The Educated Ape and Other Wonders of the Worlds (Japanese Devil Fish Girl #3)
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Bleak Expectations
  • Philosophy and Terry Pratchett
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • The Turtle Moves!: Discworld's Story Unauthorized
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • The Magestone (Witch World Series 4: Secrets of the Witch World, #2)
  • Terry Pratchett: Guilty of Literature
  • Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
  • User Friendly

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)