Start by marking “Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal” as Want to Read:
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal (Ms. Marvel (Collected Editions) #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  68,966 Ratings  ·  4,825 Reviews
Marvel Comics presents the new Ms. Marvel, the groundbreaking heroine that has become an international sensation!

Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City — until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm! When Kamala discovers the dangers of
Published October 30th 2014 by Marvel (first published October 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1, please sign up.
CapesandCovers It would probably work very well, since this is the first appearance of Kamala. It's pretty basic, but you could easily discuss; diversity, culture,…moreIt would probably work very well, since this is the first appearance of Kamala. It's pretty basic, but you could easily discuss; diversity, culture, how the art and coloring effects the tone of the story, how they would react in that situation, and the relationships that Kamala has with her friends, fellow peers and family. You could also discuss the moral of the story arc, which is *SUPER MINOR SPOILER ALERT* be yourself. I had no problem discussing it with the group I'm in.(less)
Monica This is mainly for reviews, but I also use it to help me figure out what to get from the library next, and to keep track of what I've read so I don't…moreThis is mainly for reviews, but I also use it to help me figure out what to get from the library next, and to keep track of what I've read so I don't waste time in a series on a book I've already read!(less)

Kat O'Keeffe
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this! I especially loved how relatable Kamala was, and that she wasn't the typical comic book heroine. That being said, I did feel like some elements were a bit stereotypical, and while this was a good intro to the characters/world/situation, it wasn't as standout WOW AMAZING as it could've been. I'll definitely be continuing on with this comic series, though. Very much looking forward to volume 2!
Patrick
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd been hearing good things about this book for ages, so I finally decided to pick it up.

I enjoyed it, and appreciated the fact that it wasn't just another same-old superhero origin story. But if I'm going to be completely honest here. (And I always try to be completely honest) I'll also say that it didn't really thrill me, either.

Part of the issue might be that I don't know *anything* about the original hero that the story is based on. That can make it a lot harder to get into a story.

But it's
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
this was fantastic! i was a bit confused about how she got her powers, but maybe i just need to re-read it and it'll help me understand. other than that this was so great!
Lola  Reviewer
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This series is so popular that the poster for the first volume was featured on Alex’s wall in her room at college in one of the episodes of the sitcom Modern Family. That is amazing.

Kamala is a Muslim-American teen whose parents are strict. For instance, they forbid her from going to a party with boys and alcohol, even if everybody else is going and it’s a safe enough environment.

But Kamala wants a normal life, and is tired of her parents’ expectations, so she goes against her parents’ wishes.
Sanaa
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
[3.5 Stars] I'm conflicted about this graphic novel, and I think the reason for that is because I'm reading this from the perspective of a twenty-something Muslim Pakistani American. Don't get me wrong, I like how diverse this graphic novel is and having a Muslim super hero is super kickass, but there were certain things in the graphic novel that just made me feel a little strange. For example, I felt that many of the Muslim characters in this graphic novel were based off of stereotypes (control ...more
Anne
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing

So Kamala is a nerdy Jersey Girl who gets hit with Terrigan Mist, and suddenly finds herself able to shape-shift.
Because she's always felt like the odd one out, she uses this ability to morph herself into the image her hero, Carol Danvers. With a few, um...costume modifications.
What? She wanted to go with the Old School look, ok?

description

Don't worry, she'll figure out why Captain Marvel switched to a more practical costume soon enough.

description

Do we need another teen superhero?
So, basically, this stor
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Okay, since there are a million reviews with pretty pictures from this GN (graphic novel) I'm going to keep it short as I usually do with my graphic novel reviews.

I didn't think I would like this book for reasons but then I did. One never knows!

Kamala is just a normal teenage girl with really strict parents and she's just trying to get through her life.

I think she's cute with her writing Marvel fanfic. I think I might want to look into this fanfic stuff!

I'm a little confused about how she tu
Nat
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
description
This review contains *spoilers*.

Ms. Marvel follows Kamala Khan, a Muslim girl from Jersey City who is suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. When a strange mist descends and morphs Kamala into a shape-shifting superhuman... fitting in is the least of her problems.

description
Ms. Marvel also features religion, which, thank you. I love seeing positive portrayals of any religion. And the honest exploration of accepting and loving oneself made my heart sing.

description
This story is a definite win for me.

And there
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
11/24/17 - ON SALE for $1.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

For all of you out there screaming, WE NEED DIVERSE BOOKS! I got your diverse graphic novel right here.

Meet Kamala Khan:

description

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

When Ms. Marvel begins, Kamala is the teenage Muslim version of Toula in MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING. She's lamenting the uncoolness of her heritage and daydreaming about being a blonde, kick-ass boot wearing superhero.

description

It's the weekend and (once again) she's forbidden from g
Kemper
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, comics, superhero
Kamala Khan is just an average high school kid struggling with the classic teenage dilemma of trying to both fit in and be herself at the same time, and her Muslim faith is one of those things that sets her apart. She dreams of being a superhero as confident and cool as the Avenger she idolizes, Captain Marvel a/k/a Carol Danvers. However, after developing superpowers because she’s exposed to the Terrigen Mist* Kamala quickly learns that her life has gotten way more complicated.

* Look it up your
Maureen
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well that was so so fun! I really enjoyed it a lot. I'm not used to reading comics/graphic novels so when it ends I'm always surprised - but I really enjoyed it!
I loved all the modern day phrases and references, and Kamala is a great character.
There was a bunch of stereotyping in the book (of Muslims, mostly) but I feel like most comics end up stereotyping groups in every story. Though that is sad, it's still great to have so much diversity.
Overall a really great, fun, enjoyable read. Already
Whitney Atkinson
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love the art, love how this follows an islamic girl/family, but I read this thinking that I would be okay since I've never read/seen any other Marvel material, but it references the Avengers and I just feel so lost and left behind... This story was interesting but not a lot happens, so hopefully the series will pick up!
Michael Finocchiaro
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kind of essential reading based on the way the Avengers movie series is headed, Ms Marvel is a new and interesting twist on the Captain Marvel character from Marvel comics. As far as I have been told, the character was originally male, but was later re-introduced as female in some variations as a partner, in others as a separate standalone franchise. In Ms Marvel, Kamala Khan, Pakistani immigrant in Jersey City, gets superpowers granted to her my Captain Marvel (blond female standalone version) ...more
Steph Sinclair
I feel a little guilty for not loving this more because I thought Ms. Marvel was going to be everything I ever hoped and dreamed for in a super hero comic book. A Muslim, POC teen with strict, traditional parents, who fights against marginalization and the forces of evil?! Fuck yeah, sign me up! Though the artwork is beautiful, I just wasn't as captivated with the story as I thought I'd be. I do plan to continue the series because I firmly believe it's really important to support books like thes ...more
Samantha
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a fun start to the reboot and I'm looking forward to upcoming volumes.

WHAT I LOVED:
- Pakistani American Muslim heroine! Can we get a hell yes for diversity?
- plethora of side characters that I'm looking forward to getting developed more in the future (Bruno is adorable, btw)
- Loved the art and the colors used
- Coming of age and superhero story combined

WHAT I DISLIKED:
- I found her powers and how she got them kind of confusing. I hope that is explained in the future
- as other hav
David Schaafsma
6/14/17 Reread for class again, YA GN/Comics with a focus on girls. Everyone really liked it, but compared to Paper Girls, my college students liked the edgier Vaughn book. But high marks for both! We also read articles on girls and comics, too:

This one is of/about Marvel execs complaining about lower sales due to focus on girls and multi-cultures:

6/16/16; I just reread this fo
Sesana
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Ms. Marvel has gotten a lot of buzz. A lot. People are always going to talk when one of the two big publishers puts out a comic starring a character who is not the standard white man. In this case, we have Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan, a teenage girl who is Muslim and the daughter of Pakistani immigrants. More than enough to get me interested. What got my hopes up was that this book has been selling way, way above expectations. Ms. Marvel #1 has gone through at least half a dozen printings (very, ver ...more
HFK
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paidkindle, graphics
Ms. Marvel was an interesting surprise even when I really did not have any particular preconceptions of it. Not negative, not positive.

I do not think it offers anything new when comes to superhero world, unless you look at it with the eyes of diversity as our new Ms. Marvel is Pakistani and a Muslim, but it gives an interesting look at a different cultural background middle of Western world, which seems to be the main focus instead of initial superhero plot.

That actually works good as it does sh
Maxwell
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novels
For a first volume, this is pretty well put together. If you're a fan of Agents of SHIELD, you will enjoy some of the connections made in this series. If not, there might be a bit of confusion about how exactly Kamala gains her powers and what exactly is going on. However, I found the storyline to be easy to follow and pretty straight forward, which is refreshing. Sometimes I feel like comic books can be needlessly confusing in order to feign complexity, but this one sticks to one girl's story a ...more
Vitor Martins
Finalmente Ms. Marvel no Brasil!
Adorei esse quadrinho! Kamala é uma heroína incrível, nerd, muito divertida e passa por conflitos internos muito reais e fáceis de se identificar. Já quero os próximos volumes!
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔
Obviously, diversity-wise, this gets an A+. Kamala Khan is a Muslim Pakastani-American teenager who lives in Jersey City. Her parents are very strict and put a lot of pressure on her to make the best grades, be an over-achiever, have traditional morals, and only hang around people they approve of.

So obviously, Kamala accidentally gets some super powers and thus begins a fairly typical journey of exploring her new abilities, finding out what works, what doesn't, etc. She's got a couple of typical
Nikki
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm going to pretend I haven't seen/read the comments and reviews that basically boil down to "a Muslim American can't be a superhero, and because this story is about a Muslim American teen, it's not really a superhero book". Despite the fact that in many ways, this is Spider-man: family issues, school issues, identity issues, except it happens to be a female character who also happens to be a person of colour and a Muslim. There is nothing in the set of issues here that wouldn't be right at hom ...more
mark monday
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comicon
charming. G Willow Wilson and editor Sana Amanat make respect for diversity look so easy and natural. this groundbreaking series featuring comicdom's first Muslim female lead has a lot of points it wants to score regarding difference and it wants to do it in a way that is both respectful and fun. it succeeds. a winning game!

I love that it wants to have it all without sliding into sloppy generalizations or annoying binaries. the need for tolerance is emphasized but critical appraisals go in all d
Liz Janet
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
We have all probably heard of Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel, but now we have Kamala Khan, a New Jersey Pakistani American, who assumes the identity and takes on her role. I was very glad to see a Muslim character as a protagonist, because even though we have had “M” and “Dust”, they are not considered main characters in the way Kamala is. And it does seem to be a good series, I did win the Hugo for Best Graphic Story, however I had a few issues.
I felt as if the series, even though it has been stat
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]

I’m a little ashamed to admit, for somebody who claims to be a bookworm and proud nerd, this is the first comic I have ever read. I’ve been meaning to read a marvel comic for years but I’ve never gotten around to picking one up. I love the format of words and letting my mind create it’s own images, so I wasn’t sure if I would fall easily into a comic.

But was I wrong. The art style in this comic was beautiful, with vivid colours that perfectly fit the narrative.

This story follows Kama
Norah Una Sumner
description

I see that everyone who gave this Volume less than 4 stars is saying how they really liked the art work but didn't like the story...Well,moi, on the contrary, liked the story better than the art work. The art was a bit too goofy and sometimes even a bit weird for my taste. The story was interesting but I couldn't connect with the main character and her actions were too childish and careless. The scene where she destroys the locker room (she breaks everything in it) and gets a simple detention? H
Kimi
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really glad that this book exists.
Terence
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
An ordinary teenage girl from Jersey City, isn't so ordinary anymore. A strange mist transforms Kamala Khan into the new Ms. Marvel.

Ms. Marvel No Normal is the origin story of the new Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan. It's nice to see one of the major comic book companies straying from their primarily white male superheroes by making a female Muslim Pakistani hero in Kamala.
description
It's easy to see that this comic will be appreciated by an audience that perhaps has never been interested in comics before at all.

I
Fables&Wren
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

This was amazingly amazing. I love that it was about a Muslim girl and about believing in yourself and accepting you and your own set of abilities. Kamala Khan wants to be Captain Marvel, but Captain Marvel gives her something else: something unique and purely her.

Well, after a few hiccups, she kind-of, sort-of, maaaaaybe gets the hang of the gift handed to her... which, honestly was a little confusing to me, but hey, is that really what matters?

Anyway, I like that we got to s
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 2: Squirrel You Know It's True
  • Hawkeye, Volume 4: Rio Bravo
  • The Shadow Hero
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 2:  Friendship to the Max
  • Princeless, Vol. 2: Get Over Yourself
  • Young Avengers, Volume 2: Alternative Culture
  • Black Widow, Volume 1: The Finely Woven Thread
  • Thor, Volume 2: Who Holds the Hammer?
  • She-Hulk, Volume 1: Law and Disorder
  • Batgirl, Vol. 1: Batgirl of Burnside

Ms. Marvel (Collected Editions) (10 books)
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Generation Why
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 10

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
  • This Is Where It Ends
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
“There's this ayah from the Quran that my dad always quotes when he sees something bad on TV. A fire or a flood or a bombing. "Whoever kills one person, it is as if he has killed all of mankind... And whoever saves one person, it is as if he has saved all of mankind." When I was a little kid, that always made me feel better. Because no matter how bad things get there are always people who rush in to help. And according to my dad they are blessed.” 32 likes
“Good is not a thing you are. It's a thing you do.” 6 likes