Start by marking “Captain Marvel, Volume 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More” as Want to Read:
Captain Marvel, Volume 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More

Captain Marvel, Volume 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More (Captain Marvel (2014) (Collected Editions) #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  10,902 Ratings  ·  659 Reviews
Hero! Pilot! Avenger!

Captain Marvel, Earth's Mightiest Hero with an attitude to match, is launching headfirst into an all-new ongoing adventure! As Carol Danvers comes to a crossroads with a new life and new romance, she makes a dramatic decision that will alter the course of her life — and the entire Marvel Universe. But as Carol takes on a mission to return an alien girl
Paperback, Trade, 136 pages
Published October 21st 2014 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Captain Marvel, Volume 1, please sign up.
Matt Bromagin I'm just starting it. I've recently bought a bunch of female hero books to broaden my comic book library. I recently read Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel…moreI'm just starting it. I've recently bought a bunch of female hero books to broaden my comic book library. I recently read Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel and they were both excellent 5-star books.(less)

Anne
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wasn't a fan of the first volume one of Captain Marvel. I thought it was angsty and full of too much forced Girl Power.
Just my opinion...doesn't make it true.
The title grew on me, but it never blew me out of the water.
Needless to say, I wasn't expecting much when I cracked this open.
First things first, I'm into comics for the explosions, crazy superpowers, and funny dialogue. And if I happen to learn a moral lesson along the way? Bonus.
But.
You've gotta entertain me.
This was entertaining.

description

Ca
Kemper
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, comics, superhero
”When former U.S. Air Force pilot Carol Danvers was caught in the explosion of an alien device called Psyche-Magnitron, she was transformed into one of the world’s most powerful super beings. She now uses her abilities to protect her planet and fight for justice as an Avenger. She is Earth’s Mightest Hero...she is... CAPTAIN MARVEL!

Most people would probably find being a superhero enough to fill their lives with excitement, but Captain Marvel isn’t most people and is feeling restless. So when T
Sam Quixote
Mar 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Captain Marvel gets a new number one volume. Why? Because she’s now in spaaaaaaaace!

Carol will team up with four nobodies to form the poor man’s Guardians of the Galaxy - with a cameo from the actual Guardians of the Galaxy in a desperate attempt to leech off of their popularity! Carol will help an alien get back to her alien people and find them a home on some alien world - but not before some baddie aliens try to kill them! You won’t believe how disinterested you’ll be in this super-bland com
Shannon (leaninglights)
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This lady. She's awesome.
Sarah Churchill
There is a contender for leading lady in my heart (sorry Wonder Woman). Captain Marvel is AWESOME, she has sass, sarcasm and all other 'S' words that make love characters. This volume follows a story that kinda reminded me of Firefly, with cameos from Iron Man, the Iron Patriot and the Guardians of the Galaxy. And some Star Wars references.

My Marvel just exploded.
Terence
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
An unconscious alien girl, Tic, appears on Earth in a rocket. Captain Marvel is tasked with returning her to her planet. Tic and her people were forced to be relocated because the builders destroyed their world. Now it appears their new planet is poisoned, but they refuse to relocate. Captain Marvel does what she can to help and with the help of some locals finds out things are vastly different than they believed.
description

Higher, Further, Faster, More wasn't what I was expecting. I was hoping to get an e
Viv JM
Have you ever seen a little girl run so fast she falls down? There's an instant, a fraction of a second before the world catches hold of her again...a moment when she's outrun every doubt and fear she's ever had about herself and she FLIES. In that one moment, EVERY little girl flies. I need to find that again. Like taking a car out into the desert to see how fast it can go, I need to find the edge of me and see where I belong.

I read this book for the read harder challenge task to "read a superh
Sesana
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Ever so slightly disappointing, because I had high hopes. I love Carol, I really do, especially as written by DeConnick. In fact, I liked just about the entire cast, including the new (and probably never to be seen again) aliens she teams up with in the last few issues. (Jackie is completely fantastic.) But the plot is kind of weak, which is a shame. This could be better.
Nikki
It’s no secret that I love Captain Marvel, so it’s probably not a surprise that I adored this, too. I love Carol and her stubborn determination to do what’s right, and the fact that she tries to do things that Captain America would approve of. I love her relationship with Rhodey (“I’m never gonna be the one who holds you down”!) and his acceptance of what she needs to do. I love the fact that she takes her cat into space with her, and I love her dumb banter in a fight.

I liked that this ties in w
Mike
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Yawn. This book is killing me. Or rather, the art. The acting, facial expressions, blocking, set design - it’s all so flat - or rather, so uninspired and lacking any verve. The story and dialogue might well be big and intriguing, but as it’s portrayed it’s just uneven, uninteresting and unrewarding.
Ashley
Meet Carol Danvers. She used to be a pilot, but after the explosion of a Kree device gifted her with alien powers, now she's an Avenger who lives in the top of the Statue of Liberty and makes out with Iron Patriot on the side. She's the kind of gal who takes her cat into space. She loves Star Wars and punching people. We have only just met, but I love her.

Even before I really got into the story, I was already sucked into this world. DeConnick's dialogue immediately clues you in to who these char
Lex
Have you ever seen a little girl run so fast she falls down? There's an instant, a fraction of a second before the world catches hold of her again... a moment when she's outrun every doubt and fear she's ever had about herself and she flies. In that one moment, every little girl flies. I need to find that again. Like taking a car out into the desert to see how fast it can go, I need to find the edge of me... and maybe, if I fly far enough, I'll be able to turn around and look at the world... an
John Wiswell
Sep 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
We begin with Captain Marvel palling around with Iron Man, chatting with a kid who adores her, and making out with a fighter pilot. So naturally, she decides she doesn't know her place on earth. Why? Hell if I know, but she flies off into space to help out with a colony that's on a tough planet. She spends part of the mission with the Guardians of the Galaxy, then they disappear, so she hangs out with a different group of interchangeable space weirdos instead. They run afoul of the Spartax Fleet ...more
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.8 stars!

Great art! Love captain marvel's sass. Bit of a slow start for me personally, but I'm excited to continue.
James DeSantis
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This is my first ever Captain Marvel title. I can't believe I read Ms. Marvel before Captain Marvel. Well I guess most people did right? Captain Marvel was never a huge household name. I didn't even know Carol much besides a few side stories in other books. So I saw this at the library and figured screw it! Let's try it out.

Carol is trying to find herself? So she decides to leave earth and go on an adventure. Out there she meets a lot of friendly aliens, some not so friendly, and learns someone
Gavin
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
After loving the first issue, Things go downhill from there, and it turns into a GotG ripoff...guest starring....yup, the GotG.
It loses the Star Wars vibe, and the cool vibe, and gets kinda hokum, mainstream. The art is strong, and Carol isn't a wishy-washy whiny bitch like the last volume, but still, nothing amazing here. I couldn't even bother reviewing it until I remembered I'd read it and not added it to my list...

Your choice.
Jonny Campo
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel, mine
I really liked this book it had action, it was funny and the art was good. I had never read anything Captain Marvel before and felt this was a great introduction to the characters. the writing in this was good as well, if I have one complaint it's that i didnt care about the people she was trying to protect and they didn't really give me a reason to either. I highly recommend checking this out and I can't wait to get vol.2.
Bexnbookx
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of my favourite Marvel comics! Can’t wait to read more from Captain Marvel. Review to come.
Jeannette Nikolova
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

I guess Kelly Sue DeConnick and I are just not meant to be. I hoped that Captain Marvel would change my mind, but it did not.

This book's basically a poor man's Saga meeting a poor man's Guardians of the Galaxy

Having read Ms Marvel before this, I thought that this will be the magnified experience and that I will love it even more than Ms Marvel. The sad reality of the situation was that Captain Marvel is too much space and too little heart.

The story to
AnnaNeverLands
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this in 1 sitting and I really, really liked it. I'm already getting ready for the Captain Marvel movie and The Avengers 4 coming next year. 4.25 out of 5 stars.
Patty
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Source: Library

Okay, I'm pretty sure this is going into my favourites!!!
I borrowed it from the library but I need to buy my own copy!! Loved the appearances from Iron Man and Iron Patriot :)
Elena
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Marvel comics continue to make me smile.
Miss Watson
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tolle Protagonistin, toller Humor! Der Plot war stellenweise na ja, aber ich werde die Reihe auf jeden Fall weiter verfolgen!
Tipp für alle Amazon Prime Mitglieder: Diesem Comic gibt es über Amazon Prime Reading momentan kostenlos und die Kindle App hat einen wirklich super Comic-Lesemodus!
Liam
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
captain marvel will save us all !
David
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hot blonde colonels, flerkens, cat ladies in space
Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel is probably one of the most underutilized superheroines in the Marvel Universe. With all that bitching about how the Black Widow doesn't get her own movie, I think fans should raise a commotion if neither Nova nor Captain Marvel appears in the next Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

I am not really up to speed on what her current continuity is. Last I paid attention to Captain Marvel, she'd become Binary after being drained of her powers by Rogue, waaaaaaaay back in t
Nancy Meservier
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
The character of Captain Marvel has emerged with quite a cult following lately, and with the recent announcement of a Captain Marvel movie in the works, Carol is unlikely to remain just a cult hit for much longer. Those wanting to look for a good place to jump on to the hero should look no further that Higher, Further, Faster, More. Here, Carol is reintroduced as a cosmic hero. These adventures bring her face to face with The Guardians of the Galaxy and a group of aliens dying on a poisoned plan ...more
Angela
Oct 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
I want to like DeConnick's Captain Marvel in all its incarnations. I really do. But something about the wackiness of the storytelling always puts me off. I was hoping the 2014 reboot would be better than the one from 2012 or 2013, but this installment actually made me cancel my monthly subscription to the series.

Almost everything I have to say about it has already been said by John Wiswell.

I will add that there were times when the art and story felt so redundant, particularly when Carol dealt w
Syd (deertales)
ooooh captain marvel may be my new favorite (after the guardians of course)!

i am still relatively new to graphic novels, but i loved the artwork and the storyline of this one. it was easy to follow, fun to look at, and i laughed out loud in a few cases. captain marvel is great, she embodies girl power without shoving it down our throats. she is humble and kind, powerful and righteous in all the best ways.

also her outfit is seriously bad ass and not sexualized which is A+ in my book. that helme
Emmie
Two stars for the only two things I liked. Captain Marvel taking her cat to space and Rocket Raccoon fighting that cat.
Sailor
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This has always been recommended to me by tons of people, but WOW. I can't believe I haven't picked this up until now.

Pros:
-Carol Danvers is a freaking amazing heroine
-the story line was packed full of greatness and meaning
-the artwork was totally stunning
-fantastic cast of characters
-cameos involving Tony, Rhodey, AND the Guardians!!

Cons:
-there seriously weren't any

I'd highly recommend this to all comic lovers!!
  • Hawkeye, Volume 3: L.A. Woman
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 3: Crushed
  • She-Hulk, Volume 1: Law and Disorder
  • Black Widow, Volume 2: The Tightly Tangled Web
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 2: Squirrel You Know It's True
  • Storm Vol. 1: Make it Rain
  • Silk, Volume 0: The Life and Times of Cindy Moon
  • Thor, Volume 2: Who Holds the Hammer?
  • Spider-Gwen, Vol. 0: Most Wanted?
  • Young Avengers, Volume 2: Alternative Culture
  • Red Sonja, Vol. 1: Queen of Plagues
  • Princeless, Vol. 3: The Pirate Princess
  • Secret Avengers, Volume 1: Let's Have a Problem
  • Loki: Agent of Asgard, Vol. 1: Trust Me

Captain Marvel (2014) (Collected Editions) (3 books)
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 2: Stay Fly

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Enemy Women
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
  • I Know This Much Is True
    $11.73 $2.99
  • Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird, #2)
    $10.76 $2.99
  • Before I Let You Go
    $10.00 $2.99
  • I'll Be Your Blue Sky
    $13.00 $2.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
  • The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street: A Novel
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand