Start by marking “Sleep Tight” as Want to Read:
Sleep Tight

Sleep Tight

(DCI Tom Douglas #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  21,214 ratings  ·  1,152 reviews
How far would you go to hold on to the people you love?

When Olivia Brookes calls the police to report that her husband and children are missing, she believes she will never see them again. She has reason to fear the worst; this isn't the first tragedy that Olivia has experienced. Now, two years later, Detective Chief Inspector Tom Douglas is called in to investigate this f
Published February 17th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Sleep Tight, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Aubree
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

really liked it 4.00  ·
 ·  21,214 ratings  ·  1,152 reviews

Kaceey - Traveling Sister
Olivia has had a tragic young life. Her boyfriend disappeared when their daughter was born. Shortly after her parents are both dead.

Eventually, she's remarried and has two more children with her new husband Robert. Life should be better, right? She should be happy now, yes? – not quite. The dark clouds keep forming...and
people continually turn up missing.

First its Robert with the children. A Few years later and the police are called again...now Olivia is missing.

I found myself going back and
Kevin Ansbro
Sep 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No-one.
Say whaaaaat?
I am utterly flabbergasted at the 5-star reviews that this trite offering has received.
This paperback winked at me from a books-left-by-guests shelf at my resort hotel, and (as I had just finished the sumptuously-written Anna Karenina) I felt that a generic page turner might be just the warm-down I needed!
Ugh! I should have ignored its come-hither allure and left it on the shelf. It was only through a perplexed curiosity that I managed to stick with it.

But allow me for one moment t
Tameem Bahri
Jun 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself is very simple, and could have been told in no more than 80 pages, the author stretched it into over 280 boring pages, full of flat characters which she - desperately and pathetically - tried to give dimension. too many ... too many characters ... and they are all - including the main ones - totally flat.

I would say that the idea in this story is fine, but the the writing techniques, the skills of an author are simply not there at all.
Lisa
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a PROPER page turner. I found it extremely difficult to tear myself away from the story as I just HAD to know what was going on!

It is a mystery written from several POV's but mainly from Olivia; whose children are missing and she then goes missing herself and Tom; who is the policeman leading the investigation when Olivia & children go missing.

The ending was a tiny bit flat but the plot was intriguing and fast-paced and more than made up for it.
I was v scared imagining the eyes.
Hans
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a very very slow start it became really interesting half way through. I couldn't put the book away then and had to know how it ended. Very clever, unsuspected twists made this a very suspenseful read. Tom Douglas is doing really fine in this story.
Cleo Bannister
When DCI Tom Douglas is called in to investigate a missing woman and her three children from her home in Manchester he is surprised to find that Olivia’s name has come up in previous investigations. He is left to ponder, how unlucky can one woman be?

Olivia first called the police when her partner, Dan, disappeared leaving her holding the baby, apart from a text apologising that was the last anyone heard of him. A couple of months later she calls the police after finding her parents dead in their
Ellen Dingle
Linzydoney
May 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly forgettable. Her writing seemed very poorly edited. I was also annoyed that this whole background story with the detective was just to get you interested in her next book! Olivia inspires little empathy, and I found it hard to believe she could orchestrate a whole escape but not be logical enough to plan to defend herself against Robert. Of course he was going to find her. The ending also just seemed to be a vomit of facts to explain itself. I read this with a book club, otherwise I woul ...more
Petra
Started off strong, but then fell flat. Lots of parallels to Only the Innocent, the first book in the series. A domestic/emotional abuse plot again. At the end, DCI Tom Douglas knew that the police had not solved the case correctly (again) but he ignored it (again). The plot was predictable. The writing, however, has improved compared to book 1. It could definitely still be condensed, though. I hate the way the entire book gets explained by the characters themselves at the end. Totally unnecessa ...more
Malia
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
By far my favorite book in this series. Clever, fast-paced, with lots of twists and turns I definitely did not expect!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Jenny Whetzel
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I believe this is the first time I have read anything by this author and I am not sure if I will purchase another. I have mixed thoughts about this book which is why I rated it three stars, but it could very well be four stars. There were some predictable parts as well as some that were not predictable. I thought there could have been a better job on the editing even though I didn't see an alarming amount of errors. I'm not sure why the detective's personal life was included, except for maybe a ...more
Sue
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry but this book was boring. Had to start skimming just to get to the resolution. Predictable.
Cheryl M-M
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abbott's writing is maturing like a fine wine. The plotting is very meticulous and well thought out. The story takes the reader along the entire perimeter with a twist in the path there and a barrier in the plot there. In the end all the threads link together to create the entire jigsaw puzzle.
The author has a keen understanding of the mind, behaviour patterns, thought processes and personality of a stalker, who evolves into a controlling abusive partner. He seems like the perfect husband and th
BestChickLit.com
Being a big fan of Only The Innocent and The Back Road, I was incredibly excited to get my hands on a copy of Rachel Abbott’s latest book, Sleep Tight.

It’s Tom Douglas’s third appearance in one of Abbott’s novels and, although his personal story follows on, the book can be read as a standalone. The story gets off to an eerie start and within two or three chapters you’ll be searching for answers to about a hundred questions, as you begin to feel an iron grip of tension that doesn’t ease up until
Mary
This was my first Rachel Abbott book, and interesting enough to get me to read more--in fact I seem to be going backwards in the series and am currently reading the first one, The Back Road. So I'm getting the unique perspective of seeing how the writers style evolves, in reverse. Compared to the first and second in the series, Sleep Tight is definitely, well, tighter. There are still some credibility issues to overcome (no spoilers) and I can't help but feel that the personal lives of the inves ...more
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

I am quite new to the DCI Tom Douglas series. The author has written 6 books in this series so far, so I am lucky I have six books to enjoy without waiting for a new release.

Sleep Tight is the third book in the series.

Olivia Brookes has had a very sad life. Nine years ago her partner Dan disappeared without trace one morning leaving Olivia alone with her baby Jasmin. Months later both her parents died of carbon dioxide poisoning.

In the aftermath Olivia married Robert
Tori Clare
I wanted to love it. This book jumped to the top of my TBR pile when it reduced in price and shot to the top of the Kindle charts. Let's say now, Rachel Abbott has done superbly well topping the Kindle charts with 3 books, Sleep Tight being the third. That, for any independent author, albeit there is a professional team working with her too, is an incredible achievement. Congratulations must be extended. No one gets to #1 by accident. An indescribable amount of work is poured into the writing - ...more
Jenny Worstall
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Sleep Tight' is what you WON'T be able to do if you start reading Rachel Abbott's excellent new thriller. From the frightening menace of the opening to the last touching scene you will be taken on a scintillating journey with more twists and turns than a pit of snakes.

Tom Douglas, the lovable detective from Rachel's two previous books, is on hand to guide you through the intricate maze of the plot (and has a blossoming love interest of his own developing too), but perhaps by the end it will onl
Lynda Kelly
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was another very good story and I flew through the first two-thirds but then got a little bogged down as it got terribly confusing in places, I found. There were a few clever red herrings thrown in which I won't mention here, though, as I don't like spoilers.
However, the editing was a lot better in this third book by this author. There was the odd error, like "not only has Robert has never met"...and a couple of dropped speechmarks here and there but that was it which pleased this reader.
I
Breia
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I could easily give this five stars but have to refrain from over-five-starring books lately. So 4.5 stars it is - this was a bit confusing sometimes, especially the end.

Good, quick but exciting read. Though short, the drama and mystery are well described and thought out. For the most part, I think this story could be true! That in itself is a sign of a good book, in my opinion.

From the authors website, it sounds as if this will be made into a series. I love police procedural series so great n
J.F. Penn
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
What if the man you married spent years stalking you? What if he threatened your children? What if he controlled your every hour? Discredited you with friends and even the police? How would you escape? A tightly plotted crime novel with a clever twist. A psychological thriller that will keep you reading until the final page.
Bill Ward
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first book by this author and a great crime story. I read it in one day after it took over a year to get to the top of my tbr list! Good twists, well described characters and I shall certainly be reading more by this author.
Stephanie
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great who-dunnit murder mystery! At first you think it's a cut and dry story involving an abusive relationship but then it surprises you with some great twists! I even teared up at one point. Good read!
Megan (ReadingRover)
This is one of those psychological mind fucks that is so messed up that even though you know what’s up you’re still shocked by every development. You can’t believe it’s happening but on the other hand you can see how it is. Well done, Rachel Abbott, well done!
Lia Valenti
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recensioni_2018
Un thriller psicologico come se ne trovano pochi!
Già letto 4 anni fa ,ma non ricordavo un sacco di cose .
Una trama veramente sensazionale .
Laura Angell
This book certainly kept me gripped all the way through, despite its many (many) flaws. There was definitely suspense and tension, added to by the short sharp chapters and the switching of narrative voices. But I think there was too much going on; there were too many plot lines happening all at once that sometimes broke up the atmosphere.
Becky's affair with the older sergeant never actually went anywhere and it seemed to be a tactic employed simply to make her character more three dimensional.
Adrian Dooley
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying, six weeks ago I had never heard of the author Rachel Abbott or her series of detective novels featuring Tom Douglas. I downloaded "Kill Me Again" not realising at the time that it was the fifth book in the series.
Having thoroughly enjoyed the book,despite having reservations about the ending, I decided I had to read another of her novels and was pleased to stumble across this one "Sleep Tight". Maybe it was on special on Amazon or part of the Kindle Unlimited which I was
Gail
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Oh how I enjoyed this fast paced and twisty psychological thriller.

On the back of finishing an extremely disappointing novel, which I had high hopes for, I picked this for a quick read and was extremely impressed. I couldn't put it down.

The story is told from the perspective of the three main characters - Olivia, her husband Robert, and DCI Tom Douglas. Olivia has an extremely controlling husband and has had a very tragic life. The father of her daughter, Jasmine, (Dan) leaving them abruptly w
Tracey Walsh
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"How far would you go to hold on to the people you love?...Sleep Tight - if you can. You never know who's watching."
Until a few months ago I hadn't heard of Rachel Abbott. I became aware of her through Twitter and a recommendation from The Crime Book Club (@crimebookclub). Now that I've read all three of her Tom Douglas series books I am definitely a member of the Rachel Abbott fan club.
Sleep Tight is a story of off-the-scale obsession leading to a terrifying situation for Olivia Brookes and her
Frannie Cheska
Jan 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I went into this story ignoring the 1* reviews and excited by the over 2k 5*. I do want to admit that I was hooked from the beginning. The mystery of who did what had me. But at about 30% it was very clear what was happening. No mystery or mind thrilling at all. And that sad attempt at a love story with the cop? Very boring and like the attempted scandal w the cops partner, irrelevant. Seriously, how did that distraction contribute to the overall story? Another dissapointing thing was the back a
Goodreads Librari...: Update Page Count 2 15 Jan 29, 2016 06:26AM
Knife? (Spoiler) 1 30 Mar 31, 2015 09:48AM
  • The Sacrificial Man (Cate Austin, #2)
  • Stolen (Gardner and Freeman, #1)
  • Sing Me To Sleep
  • Cry Baby (Callum Doyle #4)
  • Vigilante (Jessica Daniel, #2)
  • The Long Fall
  • Cold Kill (DC Laura McGanity, #5)
  • Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter, #1)
  • Sacrifice (DS Heckenburg, #2)
  • Never Forget (DC Nina Foster, #1)
  • The Cry
  • Accidents Happen
  • All Fall Down (Kate Maddox, #2)
  • The Accident
  • The Secrets Between Us
  • A Cry In The Night
  • The Art of Drowning
I was born and brought up in the north of England, and worked for many years as the managing director of an interactive media company. I wrote every day - everything from creative proposals to user manuals - but most exciting of all was writing interactive dramas - including for the Cluedo (Clue in the US) interactive games. I was fortunate enough to sell my company in 2000 and we moved to Italy w ...more

DCI Tom Douglas (8 books)
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas, #1)
  • The Back Road (DCI Tom Douglas, #2)
  • Stranger Child (DCI Tom Douglas, #4)
  • Kill Me Again (DCI Tom Douglas, #5)
  • The Sixth Window (DCI Tom Douglas, #6)
  • Come A Little Closer (DCI Tom Douglas, #7)
  • The Shape Of Lies (DCI Tom Douglas, #8)
“Even those we’ve loved all our lives are highly unlikely to be perfect.” 2 likes
“what that meant. He could spend the night” 1 likes