Start by marking “Buried Sunlight: How Fossil Fuels Have Changed the Earth” as Want to Read:
Buried Sunlight: How Fossil Fuels Have Changed the Earth

Buried Sunlight: How Fossil Fuels Have Changed the Earth

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  237 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Acclaimed Caldecott Artist Molly Bang teams up with award-winning M.I.T. professor Penny Chisholm to present the fascinating, timely story of fossil fuels.

What are fossil fuels, and how did they come to exist? This engaging, stunning book explains how coal, oil, and gas are really "buried sunlight," trapped beneath the surface of our planet for millions and millions of yea
Published September 30th 2014 by The Blue Sky Press

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Buried Sunlight: How Fossil Fuels Have Changed the Earth
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book was the most complex of "The Sunlight Series." Bang and Chisholm did an admirable job of explaining how fossil fuels are formed, and how our use of fossil fuels is changing the earth, though I think some young readers might not fully understand some of the terms used, such as "evolved," or be able to grasp the incredibly huge amount of time "millions and millions of years" is. What I liked best is their simple yet striking description of how the earth will be affected by the continuing ...more
Mary Lee
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Next up in the Sunlight Series, we learn how fossil fuels were made and exactly how the burning of fossil fuels is releasing carbon chains that have been stored for millions of year into our atmosphere and changing the climate of our planet. Narrated by the sun, this book (the whole series, actually) is a must-read for any student (or adult) who needs to understand energy and the role of our Sun in...well, everything!
Heidi
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This books takes a basic approach in explaining some very complicated processes, but does so in a way that children can understand. One needs to consider however that there is still much disagreement even in the scientific community about global warming and fossil fuels and what will happen or is happening as we continue to use fossil fuels to build human society. There are a lot of ideas presented here in a beautiful way, but not everyone is going to agree with how it is presented or even what ...more
Yoo Kyung Sung
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: notable-global
Different time and science concepts support gratitude towards natural resources that takes millions of years to make. Not only we learn about fossils and earth, we get to think about our ways of taking actions for our earth.

I gather books about math concepts now and thinking..
"Millions and millions more years"
" millions and millions of years passed"
"150 million years ago"
"60 Million Years ago"
15 Thousand years ago
60 million years ago
150 million years ago."

"Very Very slowly over hundreds of tho
Melanie
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
If I could guarantee they'd actually read it, I'd send a copy to our current administration to learn from.
Tasha
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Everything needs energy in order to grow and we also need energy to run machines. This energy comes from the sun though it may be stored as fossil fuels underground. The fossil fuels have stored that energy inside them and it is released when they are burned. This book looks at how sunlight energy is stored in fossil fuels, explaining photosynthesis and the balance of oxygen on the planet. It speaks to the way that oxygen was first released to the atmosphere and the millions of years that it too ...more
Jim Erekson
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I was not drawn in as strongly to this book as I was Ocean Sunlight: How Tiny Plants Feed the Seas. Maybe it was the palette, maybe it's because I had been looking for a good book on plankton and hadn't been searching for a good book on CO2.

While reading I had a hard time remembering the sun was the narrator because Bang only kept a subtle visual presence on each spread. The little yellow dots in the fossil fuel areas was not quite enough to remind me sunlight was supposed to be a character. I
Kaylee
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya, science
I told my future-paleontologist six-year-old that petroleum jelly came from dead dinosaurs. I know this is not completely true, but it did spark her interest in fossil fuels. I generally find my local public library to be pretty well stocked, but in the whole system I only came up with three children's books on the subject. Just three!!! I ordered all of them. The other two were... meh. This one was great.

It was well written (although sometimes I'd forget that the book was being narrated by the
Maria Fitz
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bookshelf Entry #2
Non-Fiction-”Buried Sunlight”: Molly Bang & Penny Chisholm
Fiction: “Luz sees the light” by Claudia Davila

This book is about how fossil fuels have changed the earth and how the earth will continue to change if we continue doing what we are doing. It describes how when burning fossil fuels, humans use these ancient buried fuels, which allow for the use of oxygen but it also emits Carbon Dioxide into the air, which over time can be dangerous. A reason I liked this book is because
Barbara
I've enjoyed--and learned a lot from--each of the titles in The Sunlight series. This one was no exception to that rule as the text and luminous and sumptuously detailed illustrations make very clear just how important the sun is to our planet. The sun narrates the book, explaining how fossil fuels were formed and how quickly humans have depleted them. While many might argue that there needs to be no worry about this rapid consumption since the planet has endured extreme temperatures in the past ...more
Kate
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 2nd-5th grade
A picture book for older readers to explain how fossil fuels were created and what happens when they are used. The discussion about the fossil fuels changing the earth=global warming / climate change. The author includes notes with more information at the end. These notes can be helpful for adults to further explain to younger children and for upper elementary readers to read on their own. The conclusion conveys the author's feelings about climate change (at least in my opinion) although she say ...more
Becky B
A survey of everything from photosynthesis to respiration to fossil fuel formation to global warming.

I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, it does a great job of accurately explaining photosynthesis in simple terms. It does a good job also of breaking down various scientific theories about the original earth atmosphere and formation of fossil fuels. However, one of my pet peeves is when science books for kids relate theories as facts. This one does that on several points. It re
Margie
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Buried Sunlight: How Fossil Fuels Have Changed The Earth written by Molly Bang and Penny Chisholm with illustrations by Molly Bang is a must read. The only way we can become sincere stewards of our Earth is through greater understanding. This title fills our need to know building a bridge from the science community to younger readers. But rest assured everyone can benefit from reading this book. Extensive author notes over six pages give additional information.

My full recommendation: http://bit.
Meg
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Buried Sunlight: How Fossil Fuels Have Changed the Earth is an amazing book which makes complex material easy to understand for younger children. Molly Bang again has written a book with Penny Chisholm and added her revealing illustrations to explain the history of fossil fuels and our environmental future is we do not find other sources of energy. There were scientific details that as an adult, I did not know. The clear and easy explanation of a complicated subject will engage all ages of reade ...more
Amy
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This 4th installment of the Sunlight series explores how fossil fuels formed, are mined, used for energy and the consequences of that use. With the sun as narrator, special attention is paid to the balance between plant life, animal life and the atmosphere and the dangers of two much Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere. Accessible language and detailed colorful illustrations come together to give a clear picture of fossil fuels perfect for the classroom or shared reading. Highly Recommended for all ...more
Karen Arendt
Though this is a picture book it is best suited for 3rd - 5th graders. The sun narrates the text, explaining the energy created by the sun, how fossil fuels have developed over millions of years, and how humans today are depleting the fossil fuels at an alarming rate. The text also explains why people should care about the fossil fuels. At the back of the book are more details about the issues raised in the text in a Q&A format. ...more
Karen
Wow! A concise summation of energy, fossil fuels, and the problems of carbon emission and global warming. Measured, but dynamic. And the pictures are so inspired, so much about light and earth. The interplay of gold, and orange and blue and green is stupendous. The nonfiction books released in 2014 are just so inspired. Far more so than the fiction. Really hoping something nonfiction wins the Caldecott this year.
Bethe
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
folk style illustrations throughout and conversational tone in the first half explain how sunlight turns in to fossil fuels. There is a big disconnect between the 2 halves of the book, the science seems too easy in the first and too hard in the second half. Lack of bib or sources is also a problem.
Betsey
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great science picture book about fossil fuels and global warming. My 8 year old was so excited about the book that he said it should be given to every person on the planet and translated into every language. It is a beautiful book and the science is spot on. Using the sun as a narrator was smart too, it keeps things neutral politically.
Angie
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an easy to read and understand book about how fossil fuels are made and how they are used. It is narrated by the sun and does a great job describing the processes used to create fossil fuels. It is also a good call to action for young readers who are interested in global warming and its effects.
Marcia
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
An informative picture book that sheds light (it's told from the sun's point of view) on fossil fuels and our carbon footprint. The information is made more accessible through the illustrations. The dire fate of the earth is driven home, and a call to action and alternate energy choices are offered.
Diane
"I am your sun, your golden star... My energy gives light and life to your tiny Earth."

Wow ... a complex subject is written in such a way that students can understand. Additional information in the back of the book to give more in-depth information for students who are ready for it.

Interesting choice to have the sun narrate the story. The illustrations are vibrant.
Lynn
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another astonishingly beautiful AND wonderfully informative book in this series. I especially appreciate the way the topic is discussed with young readers. I read this in galley and am eager for the finished copy. Outstanding.
Brenda Kahn
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Visually, this is gorgeous. Topically, it's timely and well-explained for young folks. I enjoyed the entire series. This is a fine introduction to a science unit at the middle school level and also works for younger students as well.
Trever
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Probably one of the few children's book that is actually scientific and goes into depth about evolution and climate change. However the pictures were lackluster and the science even though dumbed down can be confusing in places.

Could have been great, settle for mediocrity.
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a picture book that is successful in making a complex topic easy to understand, and Molly Bang's gorgeous artwork takes it over the top. It is a perfect nonfiction source for third grade researchers.
Debbie Tanner
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeous picture book about the formation of fossil fuels. It has gorgeous pictures and some graphical features to illustrate points. There is also section of author's notes in the back to explain some points in greater detail. Very interesting.
Erin
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
At different times in this book, it seemed like the authors were taking different sides to the global warming debate. That's confusing enough for me, let alone kids who are meant to read this book.
Mary
The fourth book in the Sunlight Series, this visually stunning picture book tells an important scientific story. Narrated by the sun, the focus is on fossil fuels from their creation to their depletion. A powerful introduction and overview to the issues involved in energy and climate change.
Susanne
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This would be a good book for Eco-conscious kids who are interested in learning about fossil fuels, carbon emissions, and climate change. It's not a good read-aloud as you need to really study each page and sit with it a while to let the information sink in.

• Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • City Dog, Country Frog
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • Julián Is a Mermaid
  • The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
  • The People Could Fly: American Black Folktales
  • If Sharks Disappeared
  • If Polar Bears Disappeared
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • Big Cat, Little Cat
  • The Secret Life of the Little Brown Bat
  • The Next Wave: The Quest to Harness the Power of the Oceans
  • If We Were Gone: Imagining the World Without People
  • The Pilgrims of Plimoth
  • Frederick Douglass: The Lion Who Wrote History
  • Sam and the Tigers: A Retelling of 'Little Black Sambo'
  • Hey, Water!