Start by marking “Famous Last Words” as Want to Read:
Famous Last Words

Famous Last Words

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  6,783 ratings  ·  1,108 reviews
Hollywood history, mystery, murder, mayhem, and delicious romance collide in this unputdownable thriller from master storyteller Katie Alender.

Willa is freaking out. It seems like she's seeing things. Like a dead body in her swimming pool. Frantic messages on her walls. A reflection that is not her own. It's almost as if someone—or something—is trying to send her a message
Published September 30th 2014 by Point

To ask other readers questions about Famous Last Words, please sign up.
Becky No sex, drugs, or rock and roll. Ghosts and psychics and supernatural powers.

·  6,783 ratings  ·  1,108 reviews

julieta
Oh, the My Chemical Romance feels for the title.
Ylenia
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ylenia by: Tumblr
*3.5 stars*

Here's a dick made out of roses on the back cover.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Now, onto my review.

I really enjoy reading critically; it's something I can't stop doing because I like it so much. It's not that it's fun to dislike a book... well, sometimes it is kind of fun to be a bitch.
This book is a really good example of something that isn't perfect but fun and compelling enough to make me forget what's wrong with it.

The first time I saw this book it was on Tumblr, on a post with cool spines of books, about 2
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was so hoping from that fun cover to the alluring synopsis that this would be a paranormal read. Something all about ghosts and all things that go bump in the night.

The first chapter was good, definitely piqued my interest, but the second chapter, the second chapter had me already craving more.

I wasn't expecting to love this as much as I did. In short, this was just a whole lot of fun, a little creepy, a little mysterious, and just unputdownable.

Willa was relatable, real, and although she was
Yodamom
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
2.7- audiobook
A YA ghostly murder mystery with some twists and stars of Hollywood living. I thought it was a touch predictable but then it had me guessing the wrong bad guy a for a while so it wasn't cut and dry. The main characters where thinly developed but enough to carry the story. The adults were cardboard cutouts with no personality or awareness, thankfully they were hardly ever in the story. Overall it was a good audiobook, okay narration, entertaining.
I picked this up for the cover and t
amber
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars! I really liked this! This book was not what expected (I'm not really sure what I expected) but I'm glad I actually read this. I wish I had read it sooner! To be honest I've had this book for 3 years I didn't think I was going to ever read it. I think I probably would have liked it better at fourteen it was a bit predictable I saw who the killer was before it was revealed but this book was fun! I do think I would have liked it more if it hadn't had such a happy ending? like I don't ev ...more
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
if you like mara dyer you will love this!!!!

I have to say, although the book was a bit slow, it was totally worth it. It was amazing how Katie Alender went and threw a screw ball and made it seem like one person was the killer rather than the other. I still can't believe that the killer was actually the killer. It grabbed me from begining to end. This is now in my favorites. I honeslt was surprised how in one scene you could realize that what you thought was something really wasn't. Over-all, gr
Sarah K
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought the author did a fabulous job on the describing part of the book! I also thought is was written very well!! In one certain part it was a little confusing, but overall it was great!!
Britt
WELL.

Ladies and gents, this just may be one of the best YA mysteries/thrillers I have ~ever~ read. Hell, it might just be one of the best YA books I’ve read, period.

This book combines two of my fascinations into one: studying crime and old movies. When I stumbled across this read at Half Priced Books, I read the summary and knew I *had* to read it. Hell, even the hinting at a love triangle in the summary wasn’t enough to deter me.

In fact...

As far as love triangles go, this book probably has one
Dora
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**4.5 Stars**

Wow, I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting to love this as much as I did! This book was a whole lot of fun, a little creepy, a little mysterious and just unputdownable.

The story follows 17 year old Willa, who is thrown into a new life when she has to move to Hollywood after her mother got married to a famous movie director. I won't give much away, but know that the plot moves quickly. There's a serial killer on the loose out for wannabe actresses, there are ghosts involved and
thepessimisticreader
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really seem to have a problem with the story-telling of each Alender book I've read. I really wanted this one to be different and it almost was.

The writing is still kind of not-great. Like writting this line "Have you ever walked into a room, and you know something's different? Like your little brother's been messing with your stuff and tried to cover it up but you can tell?" and calling it a metaphor (93). Or do we not know what intuition is?

The prose suffers from trying to sound philosophica
Lex N.
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Famous Last Words is about a girl named Willa, that just moved to LA with her mom and her new stepfather. Her new house is so cool, until she finds it's haunted...and with a Hollywood killer on the streets reenacting famous movie murder scenes, this might be so perfect after all.
I really enjoyed this book, I couldn't put it down. Though I wouldn't recommend it at night. But it was a great book with a great plot, with twists and turns and predictable stuff too. I would recommend this to anybody
Deneé
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

“It takes a lot to scare me, I’ve discovered.” (loc. 2777)

Such a chilling book! I drove through this book so fast, I would love a sequel! Famous Last Words takes on the concept of the movie Gothika and maneuvers it into the YA genre with hauntingly ease.

A serial killer is going throughout Hollywood killing and staging young aspiring actresses, and try as they might, the police can’t get of a grasp on who it might be. Willa, who has recently dabbled in summoning
Cillian
Slowly but surely, Katie Alender is creeping up to the top of my favorite authors list.

This book is lovely; charming and funny in the all right ways. Slightly creepy without being unpleasant (I'm looking at you The Gathering). And Wyatt...don't get me started. What a treat.
I want more books like these. I physically crave books like Famous Last Words.

Thank you, Katie, for putting a huge smile on my face, and leaving such a yummy taste in my mouth.

Consider yourself kissed.

PS. It's time to give you
Kira Simion
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't know why but I like to keep my review public. If there are spoilers, I will tell you (most of the time).

The killer is obvious because there are literally only two capable culprits. Seriously? I thought this was going to be a mystery book. *cries*

*dabs eyes* The characters are not relatable but, they are....different(ish?) There really is no point to some of the characters because the main character does not develop beyond the beginning self. She is pretty much the same person in the end
Sivi
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I have to admit some scenes of this book creeped me out and that’s not easy because I’m no scaredy cat when it comes to books. This one would be more of a mystery book than a horror book, but still it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up sometimes.

Brief summary: Willa is a seventeen year-old who moves to a new house with her mother and step-father, in which weird things start to happen to her, like odd sounds and very weird stuff that I don’t know why doesn’t frighten her to death. And
Dayla
Review also appeared on my blog: Book Addict 24-7

Famous Last Words by Katie Alender is one terrifying and addicting ride. It's nothing extremely unique or artsy, it's just a good and dark fun time. It's got a great mystery that may not be entirely opaque, but will still have you guessing. The characters aren't your typical dense, "let's be best friends/let's date" type of characters that frequent many books nowadays--they have depth and grow and are imperfect, and it's okay.

Willa, the protagoni
Gabby
"This is the kind of dream you don't wake up from Henry."
Holy shit I loved this book. I picked it up yesterday at Barnes & Noble not really expecting much, I just really wanted a good paranormal mystery thriller and I definitely found what I was looking for. This was much better than I was expecting! This is the first book I've ever read from Katie Alender and it certainly won't be my last. I already picked up Bad Girls Don't Die because I like her writing so much. I read some parts of this
Jessica | Booked J
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram

Katie Alender has fast become my latest go-to author when I want to read something quick, slightly shallow and a bit thrilling. I have to admit, when I first received her previous book (Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer) I was equal parts skeptical and intrigued in how she’d manage to portray the plots in which she writes. Thankfully, she’s proved to be immensely talented and her writing provides me with some of the funnest books I’ve had the pleasure of reading since Pre
Ivory
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a quick, fun and fast paced read
I gave this book a 3.5. Famous Last Words is a supernatural thriller with a creepy mix of a ghost, multiple murders, a serial killer, and the magic of Hollywood. The book starts off right away. The house has a drippy leak that doesn't exists. There is a dead body in Willa's swimming pool, which disappears as soon as Willa's parents check on her. The mystery of the Hollywood Killer is not as climactic as it could be. Admittedly, I had a hunch as to who the murderer was going to be from the momen ...more
Anastasia L.
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Famous Last Words is about a girl named Willa that is troubled and has a bad past and moves to Hollywood with her mom and her new husband . Going on is a serial killer nicknamed "The Hollywood Killer" because he kill young, pretty actresses and stages them in deaths from famous movies. Willa starts seeing things and its up to her and her friend to find out who the killer is before it kills her.

I really enjoyed this book and I just kept reading it and I could not keep it down . It has amazing ca
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Normally I'm into this type of book. Who doesn't like a good mystery? However, I just didn't care much for the main character. No matter how nice her new stepdad was to her she was just kind of cold to him in return. Plus she lied a lot. The only reason this got 2 instead of a 1 was because by the end of the book she got better.
Brittany
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought this was entertaining, but not my style. I think my students will love it because it's artfully suspenseful and dramatic, especially for the target age group (middle school).
Julia
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think I have truly outgrown this genre. More than half of the YA novels are just meh! to me. This one is no exception. I liked the blurb, but started skimming the book after the third chapter to just get to the basic plot.
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Huh.

WTF.

This book....

the world in this book made no sense but OK.

I felt like the world in this book fits with the world in the 'Supernatural' TV series.

Seriously, Willa needed Sam and Dean Winchester's help with this 'problem.'

IDK. Was the author trying to make this book level with our sense of reality or a make-believe altogether?

ANYWAAAYYSSSs.....

I loved this book. It was funny, smart, and delightful to read. The characters in here aren't your typical YA characters with the boring stereoty
Sinéad
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, 4-stars, ya
Where do I begin? I loved it. So much. I went into this book with relatively low expectations because to be totally honest it was a 'cover love' buy. Oh boy oh boy am I glad I did. It was amazing! I literally could not put this book down. I did have a few issues and some parts were a teeny bit predictable but that's easily overlooked because there are a heck of a lot more pros than cons. This book is a YA murder mystery/paranormal/thriller. The story centres around Willa, who has recently moved ...more
Melissa
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
*I listened to the audiobook

Listening to a YA horror in the evening in the dark is THE BEST. It was the sweetest torture and I think I'll be doing this more often! The narrator did an amazing performance. I don't think I would've enjoyed it this much if I had read it myself. She portrayed our main character, Willa, with the perfect amount of sarcasm in her tone. Just brilliant. I would recommend this audio for sure!

Summary of my rating:
Cover: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Narrator: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Characters: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Plot: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
En
Isabella
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very quick read for once you start you won't be able to stop. This book will always have you guessing...
Angelika Valencia Montoya
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Andrea
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Creepiest book EVER. I got chills reading each page.
Jamie Oberheu
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I give it 4 stars only because I do not care for suspense. This is jam packed with suspense! I see why my 6th graders love it!
Book Review of Famous Last Words 3 17 Nov 29, 2017 02:44PM

• The Silence of Murder
  • Buzz Kill
  • inDIVISIBLE
  • Grandmaster
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Break Us (Nikki Kill #3)
  • On the Day I Died: Stories from the Grave
  • Hunt for the Bamboo Rat (Prisoners of the Empire, #4)
  • Spookygirl
  • Soccerland
  • Ashes to Ashes (Ashes, #1)
  • Moonlight Mayhem (Spellbound Prodigies #3)
  • More Jesus, Less Religion: Moving from Rules to Relationship
  • The Reason for My Hope: Salvation
  • Matt Archer: Monster Hunter (Matt Archer #1)
  • Unraveling Isobel
  • Turn Left at the Cow
Katie Alender (rhymes with “calendar”!) grew up in South Florida. She is the third of four children (three girls and a boy) and the child of three very loving and encouraging parents.

She attended high school at the Palm Beach County School of the Arts, studying Communication Arts. From there, she went on to the Florida State University Film School, which led her to her current hometown, a tiny ham
“Maybe it’s human nature to be drawn to the things that have hurt us the most.” 20 likes
“This is the kind of dream you don't wake up from, Henry.” 16 likes