Start by marking “Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde & Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde & Other Stories

Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde & Other Stories

A book so iconic that its title is synonymous with split personalities, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson was first released in 1886. The story of a virtuous Dr. Jekyll who mistakenly creates an alter ego of unadulterated evil serves as an examination of the duality of human nature and the battle between good and evil. Full o ...more
Flexibound, 304 pages
Published November 1st 2014 by Canterbury Classics (first published 1941)

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde & Other Stories

Start your review of Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde & Other Stories
Liz Janet
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book basically screams: DO NOT TEST EXPERIMENTAL DRUGS ON YOURSELF OR YOU MIGHT JUST END UP WITH A SPLIT PERSONALITY FROM A DOCTOR WITH REPRESSIVE DEPRAVITIES URGES TO A PERVERTED MURDERER.

Honestly there is more to it, like the basic duality between a classicists society and the individual; but also the more simplified good versus evil, the civilized versus the uncivilized, the conscious and the unconscious, and a lot of other Freudian theories I cannot care less for.

Read it, kn
Trish
Mar 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the second time I'm reading this classic and I must say that my former rating did not do it justice. Maybe it is Mr. Stevenson's melancholic writing style that prompted my earlier rating. I can't actually remember. But having read it again today, I am revising my opinion.

The story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde has been incorporated in many tales, into comics even (in The League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen for example). In most of those tales Mr. Hyde is Hulk-like; brutish and big. In
Judy
An enjoyable read of Stevenson's horror stories. A fun read for me simply because classic horror seems tame compared to contemporary horror novels. One has to wonder how horrified the damsels and gentlemen of the 19th century were to read about Stevenson's grave robbers, a Christmas day murder, a hell-bound imp in a bottle or Jekyll & Hyde.

Never having read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde previously, the story was a revelation of sorts. However, my favorite story was The Bottle Imp because its not of
Emily (emilykatereads)
It's always a pleasant surprise to read a book for school and fall in love with it. I already knew the basic premise of this story, but the book just added so much more to it and it really adds interesting elements to it. I'm actually eager to write my assignment on this now instead of just dreading it.
Luna Bookish
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really love the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde so I was really excited to read some more by this author. I was really happy with my reread, I enjoyed the story as much as I have in the past. The other short stories varied, but overall I enjoyed them as well. If you enjoy Jekyll and Hyde, I think you will enjoy the rest of these stories.
Kimberly Tinoco
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very metaphorical. At first hand the book seems as if it is almost a horror book and while it keeps you in suspense and engaged that is not what the book is truly about. When analyzing the book, the stories have a metaphorical meaning, that being that "All human beings are commingled out of good and evil". All people have good sides and bad sides. For example in Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde the metaphor portrayed is that as a person you are good and evil, you are the same person even with al ...more
Stacy Stosich
If three stars means it was okay, then three stars it is. It's always fun to read Victorian literature because you come across great words like "multifarious." However, this one just wasn't gripping. There were a lot of letters that were included in the text and they broke up the narrative too much. In fact, the book ended with a letter without even coming back to the impressions of the main character who was reading the letter. I expected it to be suspenseful, but it isn't up to par with other ...more
Ginny
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now,This book is a real scary and horror one.in my opinion,even Dracula wasn't this scary!!but it's not the events of the story that make it frightening.it's the fear of losing one's good nature to its devil self,that makes you tremble in the end.
This book is full of,full of morality.so that one can't get it all at once and has to think it over and over again.
Dayna Smith
The classic science fiction tale of a man who leads the life of a respectable doctor by day and a violent killer at night. This version also includes the following short stories: The Bottle Imp, Markheim, and The Body Snatcher. A must read classic novel for all ages.
Hunter
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that it was different then the books I've been reading but then is actually just like the the books I've been reading. I gave it 5 stars for efficiency and for being one of the books I've read that the chapters are only in the beginning of the book.
Skye
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
An amazing collection of lyrical tales of crime, psychology and the horrors of humanity. I love that Stevenson takes the modern setting of London at that time, the common, everyday livelihoods and creates a dark and twisted tale. There are so many layers within these stories that create a world in which I am constantly questioning my daily life. Even over a hundred years after these stories were published.

One of the things that I always enjoy about classics is that fact that they hav
Rachel White
I really enjoyed Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I've read it before and found it just as interesting the second time round. The other stories were nowhere near as good in my opinion which is why I can't rate this any different to my rating of Jekyll and Hyde.

I do enjoy Robert Louis Stevenson's writing so will definitely read more from him in the future.
Fernanda Lara
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-stuff
It took me a while to finish this book but it was worth it. I love Robert Louis Stevenson way of telling you a story. I am in love with his writing <3
Anita
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
3 Stars!

I quite enjoyed Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde. Nothing scary or horror like about it but it was well written, entertainingly written. It wasn't a draggy read, pretty short book actually. And though everyone knows who and what Jekyll and Hyde is, it didn't destroy the story for me. I think I liked how it was told from someone else's perspective in third person (does that make sense?) it was focused on someone else's view but written in third person. I think I found t
Iskreads
May 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel-studies
"With every day, and from both sides of my intelligence, the moral and the intellectual, I thus drew steadily nearer to that truth, by whose partial discovery I have been doomed to such a dreadful shipwreck: that a man is not truly one, but truly two." (p.77)

The book Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is one of the classics in supernatural/horror books. As the introducer, Garth Nix, said, it is the fact that it could happen, that one could be completely different in the night than in the day, t
Storm
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, fiction
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – What happens when Doctor Henry Jekyll, an up and coming, somewhat well known scientist, turns his scientific curiosities towards the true nature of man? He’s about to find out, and though it might delight his scientific mind at first, his experiments bring Danger to his very doorstep.
Edward Hyde, on the other hand, fears not the specter of Danger, and in fact, revels in it, and Blood-lust, and Pain. Addicted to the natural high of violence, Hyde shows no signs of halt
Priyadarshni Palanikumar
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Another one of my revisits from childhood, this one. I had had it as part of my English course in 7th grade, and to be fair, I'd only managed to read two of the stories among the four (also because it was required to pass the course). Now that I've read it again, I know why.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is so advanced. Much deeper meaning in it than as grabbed by a 14-year old. The examination of human pleasures in good and evil genres, and the trapped sadist inside every human is exaggera
Celeste Batchelor
This is not a very uplifting book. We struggled with a desire to read it/finish it because life is already hard enough. We don't need to add in more sad and scary things. But, it does show some interesting characteristics of mankind. The idea that one can somehow indulge in every sinful behavior they desire without detection is very real. This book was written long before the technological advances of television, cell phones, YouTube, and Facebook where individuals can disguise who they are and ...more
Shanna
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19, classic
Four elegant and slightly creepy tales:

"Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" **** A mad scientist's experiment goes too far. This story is so ingrained in popular culture, that I already knew the basic plot, but had never read the actual story. I think I would have given it 5 stars if the surprise factor hadn't already been spoiled for me. Still a great read, even though.

"The Bottle Imp" ***** A wish-granting genie bottle comes with a very interesting price.

"Markheim" *** Markheim i
Lidia
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, classics
This is my review of the audio version (published by Flâneur Media) as posted on Audible:

The story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is so well known that it probably doesn't need any introduction. It may not be as scary nowadays as it used to be when it was first published, but it still remains a great example of the 19th century Gothic literature, with partly epistolary/story-witin-a-story type of narration and some attempts at psychological insight into the behaviour of the main characters
MacK
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, brit-lit
The way that classic horror novels are portrayed in movies is remarkably unlike the way that they are in the actual books.

I found that out the hardway when Frankenstien contained exactly zero bolts in his neck. But I found it didn't bother me because the doctors madness was so much more compelling than the monster's mania ever was.

The opposite is true of this book. I knew how it turned out, and was stuck reading it not turn out for page after page after page, and then whe
Michael
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this is one night. For being from such a light hearted author, this is one of the deepest book into the struggle of man between his calling to virtue and his fallen nature. Of course, there's of a more spiritual/dualist philosophy behind them than a Christian concept of good and evil. But in my opinion, the effect on the reader is the same: fear of the evil within, fear of how it can take over if we give it ground.
Megan
I originally read this due to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde being in my favorite show, and I enjoyed each of the four stories, the main one most, of course. I was told that "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" was basically a horror story, or at least, what was thought to be a horror story at the time it was written. But I didn't find it creepy or suspenseful; it was just sad to me. But a great novel at the same time. I would recommend it, because it isn't as scary as one might think.
Janice
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I wonder how I got this far without reading any Robert Louis Stevenson stories! I enjoyed reading these four. I especially like thinking about how he was a contemporary author, so when he writes that the characters catch a cab, it is by horse and buggy, or when the characters go from Hawaii to Tahiti, it is by boat . . . the ordinary living features of the day are such a natural part of his stories. I like that.
Janice
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
More a group of Victorian morality tales, than horror. (but maybe this did scare the snot out of Victorians) All four of these stories had to do with human foibles - we have hubris, crime is a slippery slope (twice), and inbreeding not good. Markheim and The Body Snatchers were both scarier than Jekyll and Hyde. But all were interesting. (and a whole bunch of fun new vocabulary words!)
Andrew Shine
First time reading the classic. It was good - but "good" in the sense that I'm glad I read it only because it's a classic. I essentially knew the plot all beforehand so it doesn't leave much in the way of thrills for me. But nonetheless, it was interesting enough to complete - even though it's a much shorter story than I anticipated.
Wison705
Mar 02, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i skipped the story on dr, jekyll and mr. hyde. there was this story in this book called the bottled imp and i find it fairly intresting. the bottled imp is really weird at first but then i realized what was going on and i got the idea. the imp grants you anywish, with no price. but if you were to die with it you are going to burn in the flames of hell?
Brett
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had I not lived through this personally and heard the story of hundreds of others since that made it through the same journey - It might have seemed more novel (pun intended) but I did and I have. Still a classic by all rights though. The duplicitous life through chemistry...they walk among us now. God bless and save them all from themselves.
Joanna McAulay
It's always fun to read a classic horror novel! And with it being so short, it was nice to read today while I waited to go to the library!! I enjoy his style of writing. He demands your attention and I need that!!
Terra
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I read this years ago and I've been oddly nostalgic to reread it. It is still just as good as I remember. I also really enjoyed the Prince of Bohemia interconnected stories. I recommend this collection of stories. I don't often say that.

• Suggested Reading
  • A People's History of the Vampire Uprising
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • In the Tall Grass
  • Housewitch
  • No One's Home
  • The Bone Houses
  • Nightbooks
  • Goblin Market and Other Poems
  • Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)
  • Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
  • Kill Creek
  • Murder in the Mews (Hercule Poirot, #18)
  • Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Undead Girl Gang
  • Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • The Tea Dragon Festival
Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literatur
“He was wild when he was young; a long while ago to be sure; but in the law of God, there is no statute of limitations.” 1 likes