Start by marking “The Story of Fester Cat” as Want to Read:
The Story of Fester Cat

The Story of Fester Cat

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
I always knew that the rest of my story is gonna be a good one. I don’t know how I knew that, but I always did. Ungow! I am Fester the cat. Welcome to my book, everyone!

From when he first ambled into Paul Magrs’s yard—skinny, covered in flea bites, and missing all but one and a half teeth—Fester knew he’d found his family. Paul and his partner, Jeremy, thought it was the r
Published November 4th 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Fester Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Fester Cat

Gene Hult
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cat people

The Story of Fester Cat opens with a devastating bang, as not long after we're first introduced to Fester and his funny, mellow, kind cat's voice, and to Paul and Jeremy, the 30-something gay couple who Fester mutually adopts, Fester is euthanized due to old age and at least one terrible stroke. Magrs writes this painful moment with beautiful, wise, poetic intensity, so expressive that it made me sob helplessly, remembering all the cats I've loved in my life. It reminded me how every pet we brin
Susan Johnston
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I adore cat stories, whether mysteries or biographies. Once in a while there is a story that leaps above all the other well loved tales.. Making the Rounds with Oscar and Homer's Odyssey were two such books. FESTER'S STORY is another.
Fester had me from the first chapter, with his wicked very British sense of humour and irony. He told his story starting from the end and then going back to the beginning. Between bits that had me gaffawing out loud and other parts that had me misty eyed, his was an
Viviane Crystal
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fester was a neighborhood outdoor cat for most of his life. He was considered cool and full of wisdom on how to survive on the streets. We meet several of his friends and acquaintances, most of them hairy mats of messy fur, skeletons showing, missing teeth, fleas and showing battle scars from their rough skirmishes on the streets! Then all of a sudden life begins to change when one of his friends gets adopted by a human family that is moving far away from Manchester and at the same time Fester m ...more
Chris Dietzel
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a true GoodReads success story. A friend of mine on here won a copy of this book through an official GR giveaway, read it and loved it, then saw on my GR author profile that I'm a huge cat lover and recommended it to me. The story is part memoir of the cat (who narrates the entire book) and part memoir of the author (who took in the cat and gave it a home). The writing is quick and straightforward and there are dashes of humor throughout. A great read if you're a cat lover.
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story about Fester Cat and his adopted humans, which I picked up completely by chance after seeing it in an online list of book recommendations. I'll admit to sobbing quite considerably during the afterword after having held it together up to that point. A really moving tale I'm glad I read.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Fester Cat had spent twelve years on the streets of Manchester, twice contemplating domesticity, but the last lady didn't understand him, she thought he was a girl! The indignity! Then Paul and Jeremy enter his life. They're the new couple in Fester's territory, even though they've been there about a year. There's something alluring and different about them, but most magical of all they know Fester's name! The Spanish lady thought he was a she and here's two guys who not only know he's a disting ...more
Barb Lie
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I was offered to read The Story of Fester Cat by Paul Magrs, I wasn’t sure if this was something that would fit into our reviews at TRC. I am a cat lover, and have enjoyed some cat mystery books, especially Shirley Rousseau Murphy and her Joe Grey series. But The Story of Fester Cat was a true story, which I knew would also be an emotional read.

The description above tells it all. Fester was a stray cat and found his home at the age of 12. Unusual for a stray to live in the outside world so
OpenBookSociety.com
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: una

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Una

The story of Fester the Cat is a delightful story told by Fester himself. It will appeal to most cat lovers as the author obviously has a good understanding of cat behavior and using anthropomorphism or personification allows Fester throughout the story to explain these behaviors to the reader in human terms:

“We pick our humans not the other way around”
or…

“my legs are wobbly and I have a headache.”
The cat lover can relate
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, animals, non-fiction
"The Story of Fester Cat" is a warm and cuddly tale about writer Paul Magrs cat, Fester. He is a stray that ends up coming to stay with Paul and his partner. While he is street savvy, he is much happier to stay at home with his owners being treated to treats (even if it means having to deal with Panda, a stuffed panda - Fester is not really a fan)! The story is told from Fester's perspective, which made it fully entertaining and definitely unique!

It is no secret that I am an animal lover and I l
Joyfully Jay
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jason
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

Is this a story of a cat? Yes. Is this the story of two men in love? Yes. Is the narrator Fester Cat? Yes and no.

Paul Magrs took the loss of his beloved Fester Cat and used it as a jumping off point to chronicle his and Jeremy’s lives from the time Fester arrived and adopted them up to Fester’s death at about age 18.
We are all voyeurs in one way or another, and even the most boring of activities, such as the lives of two men and their cat, seen through a metaphorica
Ellen Pilch
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I read every cat book I can get my hands on and usually get upset that they make me cry. I will say this made me cry, but just once and the rest of the story is so uplifting that I didn't mind having a cry.
Fester is a tough street cat that survives mainly on his own for the first 12 years of his life. He has had 2 past homes, if you can call them that. He decides that he wants to live with Paul and Jeremy, a couple in their 30's. In doing this, they become a family and he hel
Louisewab
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Admittedly, I am a cat lover, and I suspect that folks who aren't would not enjoy it as much as I did. But I did find it absolutely delightful. It's a story of the last third of Fester's life with the "boys" whom he adopted, and told from Fester's point of view. Fester has a wonderful attitude to life which completely charmed me. (If you have ever lost a beloved cat, don't read the first or last chapters in a public place - I was reading them in a coffee shop and had to leave ...more
Jaksen
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful book. Insightful, crisp, clear writing - and all by a cat! (Or most of it.) One doesn't need to be a cat, or a cat-lover, or even an animal-lover to love this book. The story of how one, almost elderly cat, in poor health, ingratiates himself into the lives of two men. If a cat could write, this is what he'd say.

Loved it!

I received a copy of this book through the goodreads giveaway program.
Natalie
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is so cute - a definite "must read" for cat lovers. It's told from the perspective of Fester the Cat, and the whole thing is just adorable and charming. I will warn you to have a box of tissues on hand when you get to the end, but despite feeling a little sad at the end I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.

Ungow!
Brian Collyer
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A marvelous tale of a mangy stray cat that stumbled upon the home of two daft men and decided that this is where he wants to spend the rest of his days. Fester Cat narrates about his life and observes the daily struggles of his adopted caretakers. It ranges from heart-breaking to charming back to heart-breaking again. This is a book that any animal lover will enjoy. Ungow!

Margie
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
A cute story told by Fester Cat, an outdoor cat, ( whose almost a stray), who decides to move in with two men at the age of 12. Once they find out his owner doesn't care if they adopt him, they accept him as if he always belonged to them.
David
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway.

This is "The Story of Fester Cat" told from his perspective. If cats could talk (write?) this is how I imagine it would sound. It is a wonderfully written story of how a pet can complete a family. If you are a cat lover, you will adore this book.
James Gent
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, moving, funny, true.
Anca
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
I loved this book! P Magrs sees life in ways not many people can. This special sensitivity and understanding come through clearly in every page of the book. It's a story for every human being, a story that must be read. If you ever loved someone and lost that four- legged person, if you have one (or more) or if you think that one day you might be lucky enough to be chosen by one- read this book.
Fester Cat- thank you. P. Magrs- thank you.
Carol
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
What a great heart warming story. I am particularly fond on animal stories and this one was a treat. I have read other books and have not enjoyed the animal narrative but this one was some how different. I also like the layout of the story with an explosive start and then a rewind of the events leading up to that point. The characters are all enjoyable even Aunt Bessie. A beautiful story and read.
Debby
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a cat person , I cried a lot as I have lost my 17 year old cat a few months ago .I had him from a tiny kitten ,rescued from an accident . Paul comes across like a loving person .A cat can fill a house and turn it ,into a home .Fester knew where to go for his last part of his life .Caring people write caring books .
Lydia Coates
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
An entertaining read, written from the cat's point of view, which at first, I did not like. It grew on me however. A true story, it's both funny and sad.
Gaylon Holder
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love cats and loved the story but was saddened about Fester. Have lost beloved cats more than once and it always hurts my heart.
Stacie
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2014
Fester Cat spends the first twelve years of his life living on the streets in Levenshulme, Manchester. Knowing Paul and his partner, Jeremy live in this delightful neighborhood with a garden and a patio, he decides to pay a visit. His visits become more frequent and after a life on the streets, he decides to move in and live a more posh life with Paul and Jeremy. So the story of Fester Cat begins. Paul, already a writer, shares the memoir of their nearly seven years with Fester. He speaks throug ...more
Melle
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cat lovers
Recommended to Melle by: Katie
I did not want to like this book. First of all, it was told through the perspective of the Fester the Cat and then cataloged in nonfiction. WTF? Second, it's an animal book, so it's already set up to be emotionally manipulative, and, of course, it features a black-and-white cat with a rough start, so I am already predisposed to think of my Zelda. Third, the author's last name is missing a vowel.

All that being said, I ended up liking everything I wanted to hate about this book -- the perfectly a
Gayle Slagle
The Story of Fester Cat by Paul Magrs is a touching, humorous, and insightful look into the love between a pet and his owners. Fester cat is a stray who becomes a member of the household of two men whose lives are changed because of the presence of Fester. The story is told from the viewpoint of Fester and begins at the end of Fester's life. At this point Fester is suffering from the ravages of old age and a stroke. The description of the death of Fester is both heartbreaking and heartwarming. I ...more
Amanda Jimenez
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all, if I am going to get through all of the books that I want to read, then I am going to need to read MUCH faster. But...that had NOTHING to do with this book.

This book is definitely in my need-to-buy-and-add-it-to-my-own-personal-shelf (small) pile. I LOOOVED it. I do wish that it were longer, that would be my only complaint. Fester is a character that anyone can become attached to. I might be biased since I am an animal lover, but the writing is thorough and the fact that the author
Margaret
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
It only took me a chapter or two to get used to Fester's "voice" as the book is told from his point of view. Once I did, I fell in love with Fester cat just as his humans did. Be warned: there are some sad parts in this book because when Fester adopted them he was already about twelve years old and in rough shape from living on his own. But I do recommend this book to animal lovers particularly if like me, your pet companion was a rescue pet. I put in for this book on FirstReads because the cove ...more
DemetraP
Jan 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Normally I love animal stories. Sadly, Fester cat loves to use the word "Ungow!" every 10 words in the book. Yes, I understand a cat makes cat noises. I don't need to read about it every few words.

And the story starts off in the first few pages with Fester cat being put to sleep. From his perspective. Wow. Why did you start off the story this way? Then they time travel backwards to how Fester cat was a stray with 1.5 teeth before they met.

We spend a lot of time with his other cat pals...and I l
Marjorie Dawson
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book stands alongside Homer Blind Cat's 'Homer's Odyssey' for the quality of its writing. It has a profound empathy with Fester, and its human insights are a joy to read, there is more than one story here; and combined they make a wonderful read. If you have not read it, PLEASE do. You will read few cat books as good this year.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Good Luck Cat: How a Cat Saved a Family, and a Family Saved a Cat
  • A Snowflake in My Hand
  • Enough To Make A Cat Laugh
  • The Cat Who Came Back for Christmas- How a Cat Brought a Family the Gift of Love
  • Paw Tracks at Owl Cottage
  • Wild Within: How Rescuing Owls Inspired a Family
  • Under the Paw: Confessions of a Cat Man
  • I Am Maru
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • Homer: The Ninth Life of a Blind Wonder Cat

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More