Start by marking “The Ship of Brides” as Want to Read:
The Ship of Brides

The Ship of Brides

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  20,314 Ratings  ·  2,120 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of Me Before You and One Plus One, a post-WWII story of the war brides who crossed the seas by the thousands to face their unknown futures

1946. World War II has ended and all over the world, young women are beginning to fulfill the promises made to the men they wed in wartime.

In Sydney, Australia, four women join 650 other war b
Published October 28th 2014 by Penguin Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Ship of Brides, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kelliann Gomez
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lore
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Carol
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Maybe this leopard can change her spots. I'm the perennial thriller reader. I read thrillers because they are often fast passed, make my heart beat faster and I love a suspenseful read. So why have I found myself bewtiched by the author JoJo Moyes? I have just finished my third book The Ship of Brides and will be singing its praises to everyone I meet.

It’s the end of World War II and thousands of Australian women, War Brides, will be traveling to England to reunite with the men they married. Ov
Carol
2.5 Stars

This is my fifth Jojo Moyes novel and, unfortunately, the only one I thought would never end.

The storyline is GREAT based on actual historical events of post WW2 war brides traveling aboard a naval warship to reunite with their husbands in England. I also enjoyed reading the newspaper and journal entries posted at the beginning of each chapter, but other than Frances' and Nicol's story, I am sorry to say, it was pretty much slow going with confusing dialogue and needless catty conversat

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
So...ummm....yeah....I just finished this and I don't have words. Multiple superlatives will be used. This one moved me in so many ways. Holy shite, what a story. I became quite attached to Frances and Maggie. I will miss them.

Jojo Moyes is a versatile novelist. She picks a topic she wants to write about and makes it her own. There's a richness and depth to this story that surpasses Me Before You.
Suzanne
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, favourites
What a wonderful book that I've just finished. One of those that really mean something. It was a pleasure to read this book, the first of Jo Jo Moyes that I have had the pleasure to read. This is a beautiful story that is based on a factual voyage, each chapter starts with an non fictional extract based on experiences of war brides, or those who served on the 'Victorious'.

The year is 1946, and almost 700 war brides are making their way to England, the war is over. We follow a group of gals who h
Buggy
Opening Line: “The first time I saw her again, I felt as if I’d been hit.”

I absolutely loved this book, another winner from JoJo Moyes who bases this moving story on real events (and her own grandmother) Taking the reader back to 1946 in the aftermath of the Second World War as thousands of young war brides are transported from Australia to England to meet up with their GI husbands who they’d married during the conflict. For many woman it was a time of huge uncertainty, leaving their families an
Meg
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt like I was on a slow boat to Britain right along with them.
Tara Chevrestt
I'm a huge fan of Jojo Moyes and until now have never been on the fence with what to rate her work. This one is a tough one though. I liked half; I disliked half. I found myself impatient to know what happened in the end, to each and every one of the girls, yet at the same time, I found myself skimming the "man" parts--the captain's tale, Nicol's story, this guy and that guy. They bored me, and I didn't care about their lives.

This story doesn't really let the reader get to know the heroines, and
Jo
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love JoJo Moyes and her ability to make Chick-lit (which I love), just a bit different. Some of her books are based on historical events, again something that I find is a great asset to her writing.
However, and it is a shame to say that, this book just didn't work for me. I found the storyline hard to get in to, possibly a little dull at times. I don't know much about the subject of Australian war brides and the book didn't really help. I found it hard to pick up on the love the brides had for
(ツ) Hache
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly I have to say that this is a tough book to get into. I put it down many times and only read little bits at a time, It almost felt like I was reading this for school. If it was by any other author I would've given up. I'm so glad I kept with it.

Once you actually read a meaty chuck of it you start to feel like your really on board the ship apart of these brides lives.

Characters/POV

Told in third person narrative, there a 4 main brides out of the 650 women who end up being roomies togethe
Libropolis
2,5 Sterne ⭐
Hazel McNellis
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bücher, bei denen man hinterher erst einmal einen Moment braucht, um zurück in das wahre Leben zu finden, das sind die wirklich guten Bücher.

Zu diesen Büchern zähle ich grundsätzlich auch jene von Jojo Moyes. Mir gefällt ihr Schreibstil - nicht zwangsläufig die Erzählform. Ihre Geschichten ziehen mich sofort in ihren Bann. Die Art, wie sie beschreibt, ist unglaublich lebendig! Einfühlsam, spannend und flüssig reiht sie die Sätze aneinander und spinnt so ein eindringliches, berührendes Netz um d
Brenda

This was BEYOND boring! I thought would never end ._.
The prologue was so touching I was convinced the book gonna be great. I was wrong.

Barbara Elsborg
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Jojo Moyes but I'd avoided reading this one because of the time period. It's not something that interests me BUT what a mistake. I was quickly drawn in to the lives of these Australian women en route for the UK after the war as husbands of British servicemen. I loved the variety of characters, the understated love story, it all worked really well. I could easily see this as a film!
Jessica
Great ending. Many a time I almost gave up on it. It is rather darker then I expected.
Mithila  Menezes
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1946. The Second World War has come to an end. Soldiers return home to their loved ones. Paints a lovely scene, doesn't it? And this is the scene we are most familiar with.
But in Sydney, Australia, there's a different scene playing out: women are travelling across the seas to Plymouth, England to live the rest of their lives with the men they married during the war. The men who had to whisper words of love and affection only during their leave from duty and hurriedly leave once their duty calle
Irene Rauch
Ich bin froh dieses Buch als Hörbuch gehört zu haben. Der Anfang war ziemlich zäh. Es hat lange gedauert bis ich in die Geschichte rein gekommen bin. Auch dass es aus so vielen Sichten erzählt wird, war sehr verwirrend. Es wäre besser gewesen, wenn immer dabei gestanden wäre, aus wessen Sicht gerade erzählt wird! Ab ca. der Hälfte war ich dann in der Geschichte drin und der Schluss war so spannend, dass ich nicht aufhören konnte!
Arlene
Very long and drawn out. Lost interest throughout. Probably my least favorite of Jojo Moyes.
Mela
When I have bought and started to read this book (I confess) I expected a few sweet romances in the package. What I got is much, much deeper and better.

5 stars for:

1) A original and very interesting historical background. I didn't know that such marriages were so much common during IIWW.
2) Beautiful, gripping fictional stories.
3) Perfectly chosen characters.
4) A captivating, deep understanding of human nature.

There was moment (nearer the end) when I thought it was drifting to 4 stars. I felt a l
Ashley
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: source-pbs
I loved the idea of this book, but not the execution. I'm wondering if I built it up too much in my head before reading as I thought the premise a really interesting one. I enjoyed it but this book wasn't a favorite. Actually, that's the problem I have: this book read like a tv series. I feel like you could literally hand sections of the book to a director and, in order, he'll make an Avice episode, the Frances background episode, etc.

A quick, easy read with an interesting premise based on true
Jess The Bookworm
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

This novel is set in the time period just after World War II. During the War many people from all over the world met one another and got married quite hastily, to people that they wouldn't see until the War was over. This novel starts off in Australia, where over 600 Australian brides need to be transported to their English husbands in England, to go and live as a married couple now that the War is over.

An old aircraft carrying ship is commissioned for its last journey to take these b
Lydia Bailey
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
. A really enjoyable read with an original and interesting plot. Great characterisation not quite as gripping as some of her other books but it's stayed with me and would highly recommend it.
Kristin Davison
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing

A beautiful story that needed to be told.
Jan
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic page turner from JoJo Moyes. What a terrific story!
Tsippora
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ship of Brides had a bit of a slow burn, which was pribebly because of the large amount of POVs for just one ship. Towards the end It got good and emotional.
Becky
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
On October 27, 1945 the HMS Victorious set off for the first of three trips to transport WWII servicemen and war brides. Jojo Moyes's own grandmother was one of those brides, traveling from Australia to England to be with her husband. According to the acknowledgements, her story and others inspired The Ship of Brides, which was originally released back in 2005 but has recently been reissued by Penguin.

The war has ended and out of the remaining war brides in Australia, Margaret, Avice, Jean, and
Gee
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second Jojo Moyes book, after reading and thoroughly enjoying 'The last letter from your lover'.

The Ship of Brides is a moving story based on a real events taking place in the immediate aftermath of the Second World War, as thousands of young women were transported to Great Britain or the United States from Australia to meet up with the GI-husbands they married when they were stationed in the country during the conflict. In many cases, these young women left their families and homes
Justė
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
karo nuotakos

„Nuotakų laivas“ buvo kaip tik tai, ko man reikėjo po kankinančio“ Vilniaus pokerio“, bet bendrai tai reikalą su Moyes matyt reiks raukti ir ieškoti naujų prasiblaškymo plotų.

Fabula apie kelis šimtus australių karo nuotakų plaukiančių lėktuvnešiu į Angliją pas savo vyrus tikrai įdomi, kažkaip net pats pasakymas „karo nuotaka“, nors ir akivaizdus, sąmonę padoriai pasiekė tik skaitant. To tokio kad ir nedidelio tikros istorijos dvelksmo suteikė ir tikros laikraščių ar atsiminimų ištr
Erin
I found the premise of this book to be more compelling than the actual story. I love a good, big, historical fiction romance novel, and I love the fact that it was based on true events of the day. The book itself left much to be desired. It was so slow in the beginning. I read this on my kindle and was 53% through before I was actually interested in reading more. Throughout, I wanted to know more about the relationships with the brides and their husbands. The book was primarily based on the rela ...more
Barb
This is the fourth Jojo Moyes book I've read and while I liked it I also thought it wasn't quite as good as the other three. I love 'Me Before You' and highly recommend it.

This story starts off slowly and is told with a split setting. The contemporary story line includes a young woman Jennifer and her grandmother who are on vacation together. Then the reader is taken back to 1945 and introduced to four very different women who eventually come together on a voyage from Australia to England after
Patrizia
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, read-in-german
Ein toller Roman über Hoffnung, Intrigenspiele, Liebe und 600 Frauen auf einem Flugzeugträger welcher sie nach England zu ihren Ehemänner bringen sollte. Die Frauen freuen sich auf ein Wiedersehen mit ihrem Männern, endlich ist der Krieg vorbei und alle sollten wieder vereint werden. Auf dem Schiff reist auch Frances mit, eine junge zurückhaltende Krankenschwester. In der ganzen Geschichte bleibt sie eher verschlossen nur in Henry Nicol, ein Marinesoldat, findet sie langsam Vertrauen, welcher je ...more
Play Book Tag: The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes 4* 4 18 Aug 15, 2016 06:53AM
Play Book Tag: Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes - 4 Stars 2 18 Apr 29, 2016 02:14PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Ship of Brides by JoJo Moyes 3 42 May 12, 2015 10:45AM
The Ship of Brides 4 31 Feb 10, 2015 02:24AM
Kindle Book Club ...: SPOILER ALERT, The Ship of Brides, Completed Reading 11 49 Jan 05, 2015 06:21AM
  • The Postcard
  • Letters from Home
  • Love 'N' Marriage
  • Land Girls (Land Girls #1)
  • A Touch of Stardust
  • Somerset
  • Before I Met You
  • The Garden of Letters
  • Thornwood House
  • A Woman of Note
  • Our Own Country (Midwife, #2)
  • Tiny Little Thing (Schuyler Sisters #2)
  • The Olive Branch
  • The Forgotten Seamstress
  • The Misbegotten
  • City of Hope (Ellis Island, #2)
  • A Gathering Storm
  • The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is mar

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down: Stories
  • The Last Storyteller: A Novel Of Ireland
  • The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Temple of My Familiar (The Color Purple Collection)
  • Vengeance Road
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“the only people who still have all the answers are those who have never been faced with the questions” 9 likes
“Very few troubles in life couldn’t be lessened by a nice smile—that was what her mother always said.” 2 likes