Start by marking “Psy-Q: Test Yourself with More Than 80 Quizzes, Puzzles and Experiments for Everyday Life” as Want to Read:

Psychology 101 as you wish it were taught: a collection of entertaining experiments, quizzes, jokes, and interactive exercises

Psychology is the study of mind and behavior: how and why people do absolutely everything that people do, from the most life-changing event such as choosing a partner, to the most humdrum, such as having an extra donut. Ben Ambridge takes these find
Published December 30th 2014 by Penguin Books (first published July 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Psy-Q, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psy-Q

Trish
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I may have had an unusual education, but by the time I left college I did not know that many companies administer a type of IQ test or personality test to applicants as part of their interview procedure. Only in a course in graduate school did I encounter the very cool questions devised to see how one thinks. Ben Ambridge doesn’t give us many IQ questions here, but lots of PSY-Q questions, designed to determine how people perceive, think, and compose opinions. Ambridge thinks they’re fun, and I ...more
Fiona
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: miscellaneous
It would be too easy to dismiss this book as pop psychology. I studied psychology to degree level - not yesterday! - and have an abiding interest in it and I didn't find this collection of tests and theories too trite. If you enjoy having a little more insight into how your mind and others' minds work then there is no harm in working your way through this book. Interestingly, however, despite having been a professional classical musician for several years, the Mozart Effect does not work for me. ...more
xe01
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read another paperback version of the book, titled "Psy-Q: A mind-bending miscellany of everyday psychology", published in 2015 but I cannot add this edition to the website as I was not granted a librarian status by Goodreads.

Anyway, let's get to the review:

4.5 out of 5

I really recommend this book to anyone interested in Psychology. The author has a PhD in Psychology and is a lecturer at Liverpool University, UK, so he knows what he's doing. What I really loved about the book is:
The quizzes/ex
Burcu Asena
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BA-YIL-DIM!! Inanılmaz ilgi çekici, fazlasıyla bilgilendirici ve eğlenceliydi. Psikoloji öğrencisi olarak verdiği bilgilerin haricinde kullandığı eğlenceli üsluptan da fazlasıyla hoşlandım. Ayrıca hiçbir konuda "kesinlikle böyledir" demeyip başka olasılıkların da olabileceğini belirtmesini takdir ettim. Tekrar tekrar okumayı ve tabi ki içindeki soruları arkadaşlarıma ve akrabalarıma da yöneltmeyi sabırsızlıkla bekliyorum.
Emina
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beklentinizi yüksek tutmazsaniz eğlenceli ve interaktif bir kitap.
Lija
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It offers only a basic start to various psychological concepts, but it's fun all the same.
Özlem Güzelharcan
İçinde insan zihnine ve psikolojisine dair pek çok eğlenceli test, araştırma ve inceleme yazıları ve yorumları bulunan, okuması keyifli bir kitap.
Cheryl
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely a fun and interactive read!
Brian Clegg
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came to this book late, via Ben Ambridge's more recent title Are You Smarter than a Chimpanzee? In that book, it was the human side that I found more interesting than the animal psychology, so a whole book on people in Ambridge's amiable, entertaining style seemed a good bet - as it proved to be.

There was a fair amount here that you will have come across if you've read any other popular psychology books, from the ultimatum game to common psychological illogicalities, like our tendency to give
James
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
If you know someone who wants an introduction to psychology, and hasn't read about it before, I can't think of any better book than this one. It is accessible but intelligently put together, easy to understand but deals with proper scientific vocabulary.

This is the first one I have found that also has an interactive element, and in the 'take 20 minutes and try this' sense rather than a single optical illusion in a chapter of text. These weren't gimmicky, and did add to the reward in going throu
Caner Demircan
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Psikoloji üzerine yazılmış diğer kitaplara göre oldukça eğlenceli. İçerisinde genelde soru-cevap mantığı ile işlenmiş ve sohbet üslubu ile yazılmış kısa kısa bölümler var. Kitaptaki testlerin sonuçlarının iç açıcı olması durumunda kitabın daha eğlenceli geldiğini itiraf etmeliyim. 320 sayfa gibi görünse de aslında hemen her bölümün sonunda size sunulan linklerle başka testler ya da okumalar sayesinde kitabı daha uzun hale getirmek sizin elinizde. Burda önemli bir dezavantaj şu ki ABD ve İngilter ...more
Victoria Nightingale
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like many other reviewers have said, this is best as an introduction to psychology rather than something in depth.

But that said I just think this book is a lot of fun. For me I just love the fact that it’s interactive and you can take tests along the way.
Elin Sjögren
Entertaining and mind-bending from time to time. Some of the stuff seem obvious now after reading the book and I must say I enjoy psychology a lot.
Kirsty
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read to dip in and out of, read a page...come back to...
Katyayni
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
It is a good introduction to psychology, a pretty acceptable way to pass time during a flight. It is not that comprehensive and it does not intend to be.
Stacey Farley
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cool read. It was kind of like going back to year 11 phsych. Ah, nostalgia..
Kate
This book is what would happen if a Cosmo magazine quiz and a Psychology textbook had babies. I loved nearly every little exercise in it, and it helped me get through my 13 hour flight back from Egypt. Plus, I actually learned some things!
Al Bità
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is “obvious” from the cover that this book is meant to be a fun read — but then again should one judge a book by its cover? The answer, of course, is no; but then again apparently most people do judge others by their external appearance! (There are a number of “studies” included in this book which point to that conclusion…)

All in all this book consists of some hundred or so examples of what the author calls “experimental psychology” tests — a comparatively new “discipline” that has been aroun
Justine Olawsky
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I LOVE to take tests! I always have loved them; as a kid, test-taking days were my favorite. Since this book promises "Quizzes, Puzzles, and Experiments" galore, how could I resist? I could not.

So, this is definitely a book to take a pencil to; mine is now filled with my answers, notes, jottings, etc. What is cool, though, is that after you take the quiz, solve the puzzle, do the experiment, author Ben Ambridge explains with at least a little detail what these activities measure, prove, or reve
Edythe Hamilton
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Psy-Q is filled with numerous quizzes, puzzles and experimental tests to determine who you are by measuring “your personality, intelligence, moral values, thinking style, impulsivity, skill at drawing, capacity for logical reasoning, musical taste, multitasking ability, susceptibility to illusions (both visual and mental) and preferences in a romantic partner.”

The very first test is The Raw Shark Test (Rorschach Test) probably known to many as the Ink Blot Test where you tell or write what you s
Emily
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Taking into account that this is popular science, this book was really good. It had a lot of interaction and quizzes, which gave you the possibility for hours of entertainment. The sections were short and gave a nice little look into the world of psychology. No previous knowledge is required to read this book; the language was held in a relaxed tone and the explanations were good. The best thing was the reference section in the back of the book with thorough references, links, and places to look ...more
Alla
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a nice short "nice-to-know" kind of summary of well known phenomena and experience in psychology. It expects you spend time taking some of the tests which wasn't to my liking but you can also skip them and read the interpretation. There are many useful links to further reading/listening/watching material if you consider the book just a starting point.
Spencer
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I got this book to see if there were some basic psychology concepts that I did not know of. Turns out, I do know most of the phenomena on which the quizzes, puzzles and experiments are based on. A note, (the experiment) "It's All Chinese To Me" will not work if you know Chinese.

I suppose this book would be fun for someone who did not take Psychology 101.

Euclides Jitsukawa
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Muito bom!!! Fala de vários temas e assuntos da psicologia e do cotidiano de maneira bem simples e leve. Consegui me conhecer um pouco melhor como proposto, muitos dos testes precisam ser feitos com calma e anotação. Ponto extra pelo humor também haha!
sezolin
Psikoljiye dair öyle çok okuma yapıyoruz ki bunların arasına, bizlerin yanlış anlamalarına sevk edeceklerde de dahi bulunmak, hatta bazı eksik deneyler psikoloji camiasında doğru dahi algılanıyor. Psikoloji bilginizi bir daha gözden geçirmenizi sağlayacak bir kitap.
Anita George
Aug 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is essentially a conglomeration of old, stock thought experiments and psychological research that has been published separately many times elsewhere. There's nothing new here, and in the rehashing of old material, the author has "dumbed it down" considerably.

Don't waste your time and money!
Kitija
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Es gaidīju kaut ko vairāk, un iespējams tāpēc trešo zvaigzni izspiedu. Jo pilnībā pateikt, ka bezjēdzīga arī nevar. Problēma ir manī un manos expectations .
So overall pietiekoši interesanti un aizraujoši, pakustināt pelēkās šūnas un ne tikai.

Nilendu Misra
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A quiz show for your brains.
Trina
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PSY-Q is filled with numerous little quizzes and tests to help you learn about yourself and learn about some aspects of psychology. It's easy to read, informative, interactive, and really fun.
Ruhollah Bsr
  • Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers: Advice to Dads of All Ages
  • How to Win Over Depression
  • Vintage Tattoos: The Book of Old-School Skin Art
  • The Complete Plays
  • 100 Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzheimer's and Age-Related Memory Loss
  • Shoptimism: Why the American Consumer Will Keep on Buying No Matter What
  • Why She Buys: The New Strategy for Reaching the World's Most Powerful Consumers
  • The Book of Celtic Wisdom
  • The Druids
  • The Power of Small: Why Little Things Make All the Difference
  • Diary of a Witch
  • Who's Been Sleeping in Your Head?: The Secret World of Sexual Fantasy
  • Sleights of Mind: What the Neuroscience of Magic Reveals about Our Everyday Deceptions
  • Witchfinders