Start by marking “The Best Place to Work: The Art and Science of Creating an Extraordinary Workplace” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  789 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
For readers of Malcolm Gladwell, Daniel Pink, and Freakonomics, comes a captivating and surprising journey through the science of workplace excellence.

Why do successful companies reward failure? What can casinos teach us about building a happy workplace? How do you design an office that enhances both attention to detail and creativity?

In The Best Place to Work , award-w
Published December 2nd 2014 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about The Best Place to Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Place to Work

David
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, psychology
Ron Friedman is a psychologist who works as a consultant to business leaders, to help them transform their workplaces. He has written a fascinating book about making a workplace into "A Great Place to Work." It is a book about psychology, and the psychological factors that affect businesses. In retrospect it is entirely common sense, but so many businesses do not apply common sense to the workplace. Here I will summarize some of the points that really made a mark in my mind.

In the 1970's, the av
Bookphile
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read, which I can hardly believe I'm saying about a business book. So much of what Friedman discusses exposes exactly why employees are as dissatisfied with their jobs as they are, and how easily companies could alleviate that dissatisfaction if only they'd make small investments. I'm consistently amazed by the stupidity of corporate America--it's almost as if they prefer to shoot themselves in the foot rather than making small changes that would result in higher productivity and gre ...more
Nabil
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting overview of positive workplace behaviour. Unfortunately, there's a tonne of cliche'd statements and examples that sound good on the surface, but don't actually hold up to light when scrutinized.

It's like a Gladwell book about the workplace, without the excitement of a Gladwell book.
Whitney
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read with some solid guidance on managing people and a workplace to get both productivity and happiness. It's rare that I can finish books like this--usually 1/2 through I get the picture and move on, but this kept me interested through the end. I will definitely keep it on hand as a reference for the day I am the Big Boss Lady.
Alaeddin Hallak
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bit depressing to see how far local companies have yet to go to abandon their Industrial Age ways of creating a working environment, but ultimately worth the read.

Every workplace can improve – and as a leader, you can change yours for the better. All it takes is a willingness to prioritize your employees’ happiness and well-being. You have to be seriously committed in order to create a more positive environment, but it will be well worth it, leading to increased productivity and better results.
Mariah
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great meld of scientific research and real life stories. Finally a book about work that didn't bore me.
Clifton
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was the most readable, accessible, and practical book about workplace culture I have ever read. Nice, right? That's the good news. The bad news? I had basically read all the insights and case studies in other places. It is more literature/research review than anything else. So if you are new to this field, start here. If you are pretty well read on the topic, it is a decent (but familiar) summary.
Eric Brooke
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good book for those who wish to improve their workplace. Provides a lot of evidence e.g. psychology studies, but crafts them into a compelling narrative. The actions at the end of each chapter are useful.

A lot to learn here for all leaders and those who wish to be leaders. And maybe even for progressive trade unionists. And of course for people who would rather improve their workplace, rather than complain about it!

For an America business book it is not to over the top, which was nice.

A couple
Mukesh Emes
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sandy Irwin
What can I say? This is the best work-related book I've ever read. It takes psychology, and the multitude of studies completed on work and engagement, and weaves them together into a relatable and practical guide. I came away with a ton of ideas. And I work for a library, where we have to be creative because we are limited in discretionary funds. I love this book!
Amanda Paulin
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read. I love how it just further cemented our mission here at FULL. If we focus on bridging the gap between our work life and our home life, we can create happy and healthy team members.
Marcus
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book that should be read by everyone working with management or organizational development
Carol
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
The book has good insights into effective workplaces and includes psychological research and anecdotal examples. The writing style is engaging.
Christine Staszko
This was one of five or six books I honed in on for my yearly work related readings. The concept seemed the most fun and light which would make for a good starter book. I thought I was going to already know a lot of the “cool” companies and their “cool kid” work environments that would most likely be discussed in this book since I live in Silicon Valley. To my surprise this book is not just one giant homage to Google and Facebook. It’s great to know companies all over the nation are doing intere ...more
Susana
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
¿Cómo lograr el compromiso y la identificación de los trabajadores en las empresas?

Este libro reúne, de manera ordenada, un análisis de aprendizajes recientes al respecto, partiendo de una premisa demoledora: un elevadísimo porcentaje (más del 70% según la encuesta Gallup) de los empleados están descontentos, desconectados, con su trabajo y esta proporción se ha mantenido en los últimos 10 años.

Debo confesar que no leí todo el libro, me concentré en el resumen al final de cada capítulo y las con
Erin Kernohan
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Should probably be titled "Why Google is... The Best Place to Work". This is one of those management books where a lot seemed to be lost in the execution. Many of the concepts and ideas are fine, and if anything are already being practiced to some degree in my workplace (albeit not on a Google - whose examples he uses FREQUENTLY - scale of grandeur). The examples, on the other hand, were often frustratingly convoluted, contained blatant inaccuracies, or were riddled with cherry picked details to ...more
Nikunj Bhatt
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is not just meant for business managers - it is readable for anyone who works. I found myself incorporating several of the principles in my own practice. Bottomline: positive behaviors yield positive results. The book provides specific prescriptions you can take or leave.

A weaker aspect of the book is the discussion regarding telework - where many of the principles become somewhat complex or breakdown. Regardless, everyone reading this book will probably find at least a few a nuggets
Chelsea Ursaner
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pure quality, just like the Peak Work Performance Summit that Friedman puts on annually. Lots of takeaways that I immediately started incorporating. For example, we started a new intern who I'm managing today. Instead of immediately introducing her to everyone at once as we normally do with new employees, I waited until lunch time when we could sit down with a few colleagues and have a more meaningful conversation. Better to space it out!
Curtis
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
The author provides a lot of food for thought in this work. He highlights several areas and studies that have shown to boost performance and increase workplace satisfaction. I have used these ideas over the past six months in my own workplace to help my coworkers experience greater levels of satisfaction each day. I hope to draw on more ideas found in this book and integrate them into my life in the future.
Rebecca Gates
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been unhappy at my job for over a year but haven’t been able to articulate what exactly was causing my unhappiness. After reading this book I learned a lot about what I value and appeals to me most in a workplace and gained suggestions on how to implement some of these changes in my current job so it aligns better to my needs. Great book for both supervisors and employees when something isn’t working at work.
John Pitchko
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Refreshing leadership book that focuses on areas that most traditional management books avoid; team dynamics, hiring, work environment, etc... These topics are often overlooked by managers who think that only a winning strategy is needed in order for the company to succeed. Strategy is useless without an engaged, high-performing, trusting workforce. This book will help build that workforce.
Sudarshan Karnavat
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good compilation of many studies and research for making a good workplace.
For those who read a lot of management books, some of the concepts may be familiar. I highlighted a lot of key points to try implementing

I enjoyed it both as an interior designer at a construction firm and as Director of a software firm.
Petter Wolff
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Reads like a cluster of run-of-the-mill HBR articles (not the handful of breakthrough ones, mind you). If that gets your heart racing, go ahead, knock yourself out. I my case - and I might be spoilt - if I want to read about the perfect place to work, I'd read Reinventing Organizations again instead.
Caroline
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-development
Friedman encourages leaders to improve their workplaces by rewarding failures, redesigning office layouts, building communities, resolving conflicts, and more. He cites interesting examples and compelling research throughout while still managing to make this a quick and enjoyable read!
Peter
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good handbook on keeping job satisfaction and engagement. Interestingly at times the advice be counterintuitive but I can say that is quite true by experience. All chapters are handily summarized and split into easy to present snippets. Yay, good material for PowerPoint presentations.
Cat C
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, career
Fun to read but also very useful! Lots of interesting research, and most importantly, tons of actionable tips clearly outlined at the end of each chapter, divided into ideas for both managers and non-managers, so you come away with lots of specific ideas to try. Just what I was looking for!
Tom
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really interesting so far
Anil Bhat
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Another good book that every manager should definitely read.
Jared
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very insightful. Took a lot of good research and broke it down into a practical and compelling explanation.
James Petzke
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, based in actual psychological research which is rare for books on these topics.
  • Customers Included: How to Transform Products, Companies, and the World - With a Single Step
  • Uncontainable: How Passion, Commitment, and Conscious Capitalism Built a Business Where Everyone Thrives
  • The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know
  • Learn or Die: Using Science to Build a Leading-Edge Learning Organization
  • Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
  • Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • Counter Clockwise: Mindful Health and the Power of Possibility
  • The Undoing Project: A Friendship That Changed Our Minds
  • Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy
  • Strategy Rules: Five Timeless Lessons from Bill Gates, Andy Grove, and Steve Jobs
  • The Power of Consistency: Prosperity Mindset Training for Sales and Business Professionals
  • StandOut 2.0: Assess Your Strengths, Find Your Edge, Win at Work
  • Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work
  • Stop the Excuses!: How to Change Lifelong Thoughts. Wayne W. Dyer
  • Managing the Millennials: Discover the Core Competencies for Managing Today's Workforce
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well
Ron Friedman, Ph.D. is an award-winning psychologist and the author of a high-anticipated new book from Penguin Random House/Perigee, titled The Best Place to Work: The Art and Science of Creating an Extraordinary Workplace.

An expert on human motivation, Friedman has served on the faculty of the University of Rochester, Nazareth College, and Hobart and William Smith Colleges, and consulted for som
More about Ron Friedman

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011
    $12.99 $2.99
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About God: A
    $11.49 $2.99
“Studies indicate that happy employees are more productive, more creative, and provide better client service. They’re less likely to quit or call in sick. What’s more, they act as brand ambassadors outside the office, spreading positive impressions of their company and attracting star performers to their team.” 4 likes
“As writer C. S. Lewis once observed, “Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” 2 likes