Start by marking “Each Shining Hour (Watervalley, #2)” as Want to Read:
Each Shining Hour (Watervalley, #2)

Each Shining Hour

(Watervalley #2)

Welcome to the timeless charms of small-town Watervalley, Tennessee—where young Dr. Luke Bradford is beginning to feel at home…

When he comes to the aid of a woman at the grocery store, Luke is fascinated to learn she is Estelle Pillow, the cheery sister to his prickly housekeeper, Connie. Estelle wants to open a bakery in town—and Connie’s disapproval of the venture sti
Published October 7th 2014 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Each Shining Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Each Shining Hour

Start your review of Each Shining Hour (Watervalley, #2)
Catherine Stickann
I just finished reading Each Shining Hour by Jeff High. It is a bit sad to come to the end of a Jeff High novel. In my mind, I have created Watervalley and all the inhabitants, thanks to the ability of the writer to give me the tools to do so. His characters are my friends and I will miss them until his next novel emerges. This new, talented author writes dialog like the reader is listening rather than reading the conversations. His details are complete, yet not long and drawn out. This is Jeff ...more
Teresa
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-jeff
Jeff High’s second novel of Watervalley, Each Shining Hour, begins on the heels of where his first novel, More Things in Heaven and Earth, leaves off. The regular cast of Watervalley characters is joined by some new faces in town making for a rollicking good time as they attempt to solve a WWII mystery. Although the book has a good old-fashioned mystery, it wouldn’t be entirely fair to call it such. It’s so much more! It’s a romance, a humorous comedy, a piece of historical fiction, and even a b ...more
Melissa C
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Each Shining Hour (the second book in the Watervalley series) did not disappoint this Tennessee native. More Things in Heaven and Earth (the first book in the series) left me wanting more. To be transported into the quaint town of Watervalley and to mingle with its citizens again takes me to my happy place.

Jeff High has a passion for writing and he discreetly intertwines many different genres in doing so. Each Shining Hour brings an heir of mystery and history, philosophical lessons, insights o
Melba
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Wow, that is all I can say!!

Jeff High scores another hit with his latest installment, and it makes me even more excited to read the next one. I truly wish it wouldn't be next year before getting the next one, but it makes for a highly anticipated continuation.

Having met Jeff & his wife, Dawn, makes the books special to me. They are both nice & personable, and I can still hear Jeff's voice reading from his first book (More Things in Heaven & Earth.
Marsha Crownover
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rarely do I read a book where I feel the characters could be my friends. Author Jeff High brilliantly unfolds the depth of each one while being able to keep the readers attention on an unfolding storyline. He creates a space where the reader can become lost, as mystery, personal pain, skeletons and personalities become entwined. As each chapter closes, I couldn't wait for the next. What is most inspiring is Dr. Luke Bradford learns what we all seek in life, real meaning and purpose.
Dorine
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rated 4.5 Blue Ribbons. Also posted at TBRMountainRange.com where you can find more of my reviews by category tags.

Throughout this wonderful novel you can hear the chorus of voices from the residents of Watervalley, past and present, influencing this young doctor’s choices. EACH SHINING HOUR is an oftentimes laugh-out-loud funny tale about the eccentricities of small town life, balanced amongst poignant moments and how this life can be exactly what you don’t know you need.

Dr. Luke Bradford is dr
Debbie Lester
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Author Jeff High takes readers back to Watervalley, a small town in Tennessee that could be in Norman Rockwell photo. High blends together several genres from mystery to romance to bring the reader a well balanced novel about finding meaning in life no matter where you are. With superb characterizations, excellent dialog skills, and a touch of hilarity, High proves that writing about what you know can turn into a fantastic novel!

What I liked:

The Watervalley series centers around Dr. Luke Bradfor
Viviane Crystal
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Luke is the local doctor in Watervalley, a lovely town in Tennessee. He arrived with a three year contract which guaranteed his medical school loan would be paid off. For that trade off, he gave up his dream of doing medical research and working in a large city; but the time he’s lived here has endeared him to the locals and them to him. Now we welcome some new and old characters in this second book of the series plus an addition to the plot of a complex mystery.
Connie is Luke’s housekeeper/cook
Joan
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this second novel in the Watervalley series. Dr. Luke Bradford has settled in and decided to stay and fulfill the three year contract with the Tennessee community. In this novel he has a mystery to solve and a beautiful woman to date.

The mystery is from decades ago. Oscar Fox had come to Watervalley and opened a bakery. He was involved in the murder of a German and was himself killed. The town people thought Oscar an infamous man. Luke found Fox's medical file in the old rec
Catherine
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Each Shining Hour is the second book in the Watervalley series, which focuses on a young doctor, Luke Bradford, a transplant to a small Tenessee town. Although I did not read the first book in the series, it did not hamper my enjoyment of this book, and I was fully able to pick up on the action and characters.

I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

Each Shining Hour is a cozy mystery, but its strongest areas are in the area of describing small town life and in character devel
Terri Jones
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every town has its eccentrics, its stalwarts, and its heroes...but every town also has its mysteries. Jeff High has once again woven all of these together in his 2nd book about life in Watervalley, TN. His grasp of small town happenings is communicated with warmth, passion and just the right touch of humor (OK, I laughed out loud in some places!). While "Each Shining Hour" has mystery, history and romance...it is not a mystery novel; it is not a historical novel; and it is not a romance novel. I ...more
Amy Pratt
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Each Shining Hour, the second Watervalley novel, is a brilliantly written book. Author, Jeff High, had me hooked from page one. With the discovery of the town's unsolved murder dating back to WWII and the growing relation between Luke and Christine I could not put the book down. As I read the final chapter I was sad to say goodbye to Watervalley for another year. I can't wait to see what the third book has in store.
Kim Henning
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was sure there was no way Jeff could top his last book and I was completely wrong. I loved Each Shining Hour even more, Connie's sister, Christine's grandma and the lady that found out she was pregnant had me laughing so hard I was crying. His understanding of small towns warmed my heart and hopefully showed the city slickers out there that small town America has tons to offer. I can't wait for the next book!
Rachel Robbins
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If possible, I enjoyed this book as much or more than the first one; More Things in Heaven & Earth. Each Shining Hour picks up where the first book leaves off. Luke Bradford is still finding a place for himself in Watervalley. This story adds a little mystery & adds some new characters. A great read!!
Kat
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was an enjoyable read. High convinced me to fall in love with his characters and the town of Watervalley in the first of the series—which is much more than Karon could do in my mind with Mitford. While I think some of the plot is a bit far-fetched in this one, it was still something I found myself looking forward to coming back to after each time I had to put it down.
Julie Walters
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really love this series by Jeff High. The character development is awesome and the characters will make you laugh out loud. The text makes you feel you are reading the facial expressions of the characters. It has true Southern charm and I cannot wait for the next book.
Lori
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I now have to go out and get the first book. I look forward to reading it again after I read the first one.
Roben
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not a review but a thank you to Jeff who is a wonderful storyteller and the sort of observer who we need in this life!
Barbara
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to the third book!!
virginia bishop
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read

Intriguing well written pulls you in from the first page and keeps you turning the pages, this is one you will not want to miss
Lori
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Watervalley novels are fabulous. It's been a long time since I've had so much trouble putting a book down!
Kathy
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
Mary Jo
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the second in a series and the second Jeff High book I have read. I would have liked to have given this four stars....unfortunately I found the romantic aspect just a bit cloying and unreal. Does every book have to have a drop dead gorgeous female for the lead male to fall in love with? I loved Jeff High's style of writing in the first book in the series. The books aren't really what is classic "Christian Fiction", but they are mostly clean with good morals and values with out being stic ...more
Will Waller
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, southern
This book is okay, and probably everyone who reads it knows it. It has a fine story, with a mystery involved. What did I like about this book: it moves along quickly, and doesn't let the mysteries linger too long. I also cherished how the writer includes mini-cliffhangers at the end of chapters, reveling in the art of making the person flip to the next page. What did I not enjoy: the story is a bit hackneyed and stale. You kind of know where this is going. Oh, and I really haven't found typos in ...more
Kim Johnson
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved It!

The second book in this series did not disappoint. This captivating story was full of intrigue and mystery, sweet romance, and interesting characters. Looking forward to the next book!
Lin Stepp
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Second in this great series ... and a wonderful, entertaining read. Luke, the young doctor in small town Waterbury begins to fall in love and gets involved in solving an old murder. ... These book feels somewhat like Jan Karon's Mitford books in some way.
Doranne Long
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so pleased to be reading Jeff High's wonderful Watervalley series. I love his characters, the stories, and his writing style; at the end of each chapter he leaves a tantalizing sentence, which commands us to read on.
Leslie
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The second in the Watervalley series, just as captivating as the first. Pleasantly surprised. So enjoyed the intertwining stories, the characters, the excellent back and fourth dialogue. Simple yet complex characters.

MARGIE KRUEGER
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The characters are wonderful. I love the story of the young Dr. and the ladies that clean his home. I can't wait to read the next one and hope there will be more books in the series. Everything that happens in the small town and the people who live there make for a great book.
Suzanne
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, but.....

Loved being "back" in Watervalley , but the Oscar Fox story tied up a bit too neatly for me to give this five stars. That said, I still can't wait to read the next book in this addictive series!

• Unveiled: Tamar (Lineage of Grace #1)
  • Unashamed: Rahab (Lineage of Grace, #2)
  • Unshaken: Ruth (Lineage of Grace, #3)
  • The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt
  • The Restaurant
  • A Christ-Centered Wedding: Rejoicing in the Gospel on Your Big Day
  • Sunrise on Half Moon Bay
  • Light Changes Everything
  • As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3)
  • The Water Keeper
  • An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2)
  • The Magnolia Inn: A Sweet, Small Town Story (The Red Stiletto Book Club Series)
  • The Hangman (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6.5)
  • While My Sister Sleeps
  • Lowcountry Boil (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #1)
  • Board Stiff (Elliott Lisbon Mystery #1)
  • Tending Roses (Tending Roses, #1)
  • The Last Drop of Blood (Katie Maguire #11)
After growing up in rural Tennessee, Jeff High attained degrees in literature and nursing. He is a three time published winner, in poetry and fiction, of an annual writing contest held by Vanderbilt Medical Center. He lived in Nashville for many years, and throughout the country as a travel nurse, before returning to his original hometown, near where he now works as an operating room RN in cardiac ...more

Watervalley (3 books)
  • More Things In Heaven and Earth (Watervalley, #1)
  • The Splendor of Ordinary Days (Watervalley, #3)