Start by marking “Adventures in Vacationland” as Want to Read:
Adventures in Vacationland

Adventures in Vacationland

Young Joe Livingston has a very active imagination. When his favorite Aunt goes missing, he and his family journey through the wilds of Maine to rescue her from the clutches of Cracker, the Beast of Briney Bay.
Published May 27th 2014 by Islandport Press

To ask other readers questions about Adventures in Vacationland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures in Vacationland

Start your review of Adventures in Vacationland
Lynn Plourde
This book is a perfect mix of picture book and graphic novel. Joe Livingston's auntie is missing in Maine and he must find her and save her from Cracker, the Beast of Briny Bay (a giant lobstah). From the end papers to the plot to the humor to the illustrations, creator Mark Ricketts delights readers of all ages ( the book especially has boy-appeal). Ricketts knows Maine and pokes delightful fun at the state. Perfect model for kids to write their own journal-graphic novel-adventure story.
Kristina Silverbears
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, babies
This book is so full of illustrations that it sure to keep the attention of even very young children. And on the merit of the illustrations alone I would recommend this book for picky youngsters who quickly tire of simple stories. There are so many different sections that the book seems fresh even on the third read. Adventures in Vacationland may be best read one-on-one and not independently unless your child has a strong vocabulary. The journal nature of the book may make the book more ...more
Selena
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My daughter won the book from Goodreads and I had to read it! The artwork is great, the writing is a lot of fun! I especially love the end of the story when Joe says the only thing that would have made him happier would be if he was eating ice cream! I highly recommend this book to any of my students, it would make great story starters!
I've already read it twice and find more interesting things each time!
Lynn
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Third person tale interspersed with first person account from Joe's journal provide lots of fun action. It leaves us wondering if it all really happened or was it all just Joe's imagination?
Although Maine is never mentioned, the reference is unmistakable - with the Maine Coon Cat, the lobster, the bumpy back roads, lupines and puffins. My favorite scene was the disabling of the monster lobster with hot, melted butter!
Quirky, bright illustrations give readers lots to explore.
Alice
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
I read this while at the Portland Maine Library. This is a Maine author SO, I will support! I thought it was fun, and imaginative and silly! Fun pictures and a good overall story!
rated it it was ok