Start by marking “The Garden of Words” as Want to Read:
The Garden of Words

The Garden of Words

Can a poem save your life? Words are powerful. Insults and rumors can derail a career; a bit of encouragement can give someone the strength to pursue their dreams. When a high school boy skipping class to sketch shoe designs and a taciturn woman drinking a morning beer meet in a Tokyo park, they say little, but the woman bids farewell with an ancient tanka poem. Will the ...more
Published October 28th 2014 by Vertical Comics (first published November 22nd 2013)

Start your review of The Garden of Words
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
This art in this was p e r f e c t
moonchild
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
The only reason I gave this manga a 3 star rating is because I like some parts of it like the whole chase your dream no matter how weird it is, also I like when books mention the weather and how it makes them feel and what it reminds them of.
the speaking/thought bubbles tho were so random and misplaced it made everything so confusing.
the story was just not for me.
Tanya
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The beautiful thing about Shinkai's stories are that aren't plot driven but full of emotions. It's like a gentle breeze blowing against your face. You feel it ever so slightly before it completely overtakes you. The story is very simple. Young man meets distraught woman drinking on a rainy day. She leaves him with a poem, which consumes him as he tries to find the perfect response. It's an unusual idea to write as a story, but I found the manga to be better than the anime. I felt like I ...more
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, manga
I read this because I loved and adored the movie. (SERIOUSLY! Watch the movie!)

Whilst the ending of this was lovely, I felt like this fell short of the movie, which was nuanced and developed despite its short length, whereas this felt a little rushed and underdeveloped in comparison and I would have loved to see the relationship between Takao and Yukino-sensei grow more.
Alexa
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.5 stars. The art style was lovely, and overall, I liked the themes for the story too.
Lauren
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Hmmmm...the forbidden romance was pretty questionable but the artwork was perfect.

RTC
Ashley (ashleyOutpaged)
So FYI I did not know this was an adaptation of the film of the same name. If I did I would have totally watched the movie first. I’ve heard such good things about it. I liked the message and the story that was being told here but for me it lacked emotion and depth. The manga lacks what the film probably portrays better.
Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad
Such a well written one shot Manga! <3 Was completely worth the purchase.
Kara
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: watched
I loved the animation of this, very much. it was so beautiful, uhm, I am talking about the movie. So, here comes the manga, that made me understand it more (or maybe because when I was watching it, i was so focused on the visuals) lol. However, it was emotional, but didn't give me "that" feels.
Cornerofmadness
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, romance
The Garden of Words had an interesting idea that really sort of fizzled out and then went somewhere uncomfortable. I picked this up after hearing a lot of good things about Shinkai but I have to say I don’t like contemporary fiction so this really wasn’t the manga for me. The tag line “Can a poem save your life?’ was intriguing. This story isn’t.

A young man likes to skip school when it rains (I don’t remember the names, that’s how uninteresting this was to me). He meets a woman drinking morning
Atheer Naeem
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
first of all.. this is the first graphic novel i ever read .. leave alone , it's Japanese. so maybe it's not the novel that has a problem .. it's me that didnt get their emotions.
but the art is so nice .. it shows their smiles and sadness very well i liked that about it
let's hope this is the start of many graphic novels to come.
anyhow, i read in some review that there is a movie to the same book.. i might watch it to understand the story better
Rebecca
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorites
Exquisitely told and understated, this is a beautiful story about two people trying to escape from the world but finding each other. Longer review will eventually appear on The Anime News Network.
ِAya
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I felt like it's my story in alternate universe can't explain more..
Riana (RianaInTheStacks)
I love the short film of this story, so I decided to read the manga. There is that missing beauty of Shinkai's animation, yet the emotions come across just the same. Shinkai's stories do so well at taking any simple story, something very realistic and relatable even, and tying it in with every detail-- from the weather and other parts of the environment, to what is focused on in each frame-- to create a connection between two people that can transcend the simplicity of a single moment. A ...more
Laura ☾
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, I was again looking for some new mangas to read and stumbled upon this one and loved the art. Little did I realize it was a manga adaptation of Shinkai's anime who also wrote "your name" . Full disclosure, "your name" is one of my absolute favorite animes. And I loved reading the mangas too.

I did find that same feeling back, and I think it will be even more present in the anime (I mean the music in "your name" was one of the best and totally helped with the emotions. So I absolutely can't
Aaron F.
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
The Garden of Words is a superb and moving one-shot manga. The artwork is beautiful, well done, and does a solid job of capturing the subtle presence/shifts in emotions/feelings. The story captures the themes of chance encounters and the power that words can have over someone. Words can harm us, empower us with strength/courage, and aid us in experiencing the deepest depths of human emotions. "I spent each day trudging through the mud. Except on those rainy mornings spent with you."
Sef
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Content warning for pedophilia mention.
This book was...questionable. I understand that context in Japan for age of consent is different than it is in the US, but this is a "forbidden love" story between a middle school student and a teacher at his school. It's all kept very PG and there is no lewd content, but the plot itself I find highly questionable. It made me uncomfortable.
Amanda Butler
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Tim
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
truly a wonderful emotional story. it draws you right in and you have to read it through to the end.
Gladyann Pagán
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Will you stay beside me? Even if it doesn’t rain at all, I’ll stay here with you.”
Lubna Qanber
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved how very warm and cozy it was.
Chelsea Louise Kelly
2.5/5: ‘The Garden of Words’ is a Young Adult, Romance-Manga by Midori Motohashi and translated by Maya Rosewood; Takao Akizuki religiously skips first-period when it rains, retreating with his sketchbook to what seems to be the one place he can find peace, under the gazebo in a beautiful, garden-like park. Motohashi deals with several topics that are uncommonly seen in pop culture, including a protagonist who aspires to be a cobbler (shoe-maker). Although it is never overtly stated, we get the ...more
Babitix Barbara
First, the bad thing:
I am not sure if everything was translated well, because in some parts of the mangá I couldn't understand what was going on. The time passed fast, the characters didn't complete their quotes. Something was missing.
I've heard that in Japan the teacher are respected, so I couldn't get what happened. Do japanese teenagers bully cute teachers???

And now, the good part of it:
The art is lovely, and I felt some emotion at the end of the story. But the fact is that I DIDN'T
Rosie_Posie_Reads
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
When a young high school first year with an obsession with making shoes meets a woman drinking beer in the park, something powerful begins. Although they say little to one another, the woman give the young man a small tanka. Will he be able to figure the meaning of her words and the response?

This one shot manga was a unique story with beautiful illustrations. The movie was absolutely stunning and I recommend giving that a watch. Wit that said, it did get a little bit weird at the end when
Doc
The Garden of Words is a touching tale about a student skipping class with dreams to create shoes who meets a woman hiding from the rain while drinking beer and eating chocolate one morning. The cycle continues as they meet time and again during the rainy season and the connections between them are tested as they get to know each other. This book has very limited strong language and school bullying as well as a potential relation between two people at least 12 years apart but should be ...more
Nesrine Aouinti
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delicate. This is the first adjective that crosses my mind when I finished the mangas. To be fair, I watched the animated movie like a year ago and I loved it! So why not read the mangas?! The story in itself is not that special. However, the characters are adorable and I personally got attached to Ms. Yukino. 27 years old mysterious woman that appears in the garden on the rainy days. The artwork is beautiful. It is so subtle and full with emotions. Overall, it is a beautiful one shot mangas ...more
Jon Chaisson
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A manga tie-in for Makoto Shinkai's movie short of the same name. Shinkai once again tells the story of love and persistence, this time focusing on two people -- a young high schooler and an older businesswoman -- both who are outcasts in their own way. One is trying to succeed in a world that doesn't seem to care, and the other is trying to heal in a world that damaged them.
Warlou Joyce Antonio
I’ve watched the film [years ago] before finally reading the manga version. The movie adaptation, from what I can remember from it aside from the stunning visuals, stayed faithful to the actual narrative.

As for the source material, I think Makoto Shinkai’s story and overall intentions were translated better in this manga than in the movie.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Hunan95
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good manga, excellent plot, already knew it from the Makoto Shinkai's film, the art was pretty, but not as good as the original film. I loved the Garden of Words more than 5cm per sec, more than Your Name, I was able to relate to it from my own experience being bullied at work and framed for something I did not do and ''Unable to walk'' anymore.
Rikki Rose
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars. definitely a solid manga but nothing extremely memorable. the plot line was good but i feel this could have been executed better and i found myself wanting more. i don't think this is a series but i find myself wishing it was. it was definitely enjoyable and i would recommend it but like i said nothing too impressive.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Voices of a Distant Star
  • 5 Centimeters per Second (5 Centimeters per Second, #1-2)
  • your name., Vol. 3 (your name., #3)
  • She and Her Cat
  • The Gods Lie
  • I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
  • 君の名は (漫画) p.2
  • your name., Vol. 1 (your name., #1)
  • 5 Centimeters Per Second
  • 秒速5センチメートル 2 [Byousoku 5 Centimeter 2]
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
  • 私のオオカミくん 3 (Watashi no Ookami-kun #3)
  • 聲の形 3 [Koe no Katachi 3] (A Silent Voice, #3)
  • 君は夏のなか [Kimi wa Natsu no Naka]
  • Magic Knight Rayearth I, Vol. 1 (Magic Knight Rayearth I, #1)
  • 約束のネバーランド 11 [Yakusoku no Neverland 11]
  • Your Name.
“A faint clap of thunder Clouded skies,
Perhaps rain comes
Will you stay here with me?”
81 likes
“In the evenings, before I went to sleep, and in the mornings, in the moment I woke up, I realized I was praying for rain.” 39 likes