Jump to ratings and reviews
The remnants of the United States of America have been divided. From five enormous, technologically-advanced cities, the Greaters rule over the Lessers.

In the Lesser village of Orchard, things are not as perfect as Abby Kelley thinks they are. When the apple harvest draws near and the Greaters' engineered fruits become too much for one village to handle alone, reinforcements from neighboring villages are called upon.

Having to choose between her best friend, whom she has no romantic feelings for, and mysterious newcomer Crew, Abby finds herself in the middle of a harvest that she had no intention of becoming a part of. She becomes involved in a situation that threatens the strict rule of the Greaters, and just might give the Lessers hope for a better tomorrow. But, can she help the Lessers without losing Crew?

280 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Casey L. Bond

59 books1,338 followers
RONE Award-winning author Casey Bond lives on a rural farm in West Virginia with her husband and their two beautiful daughters. She writes phoenixes – gloriously flawed and morally gray characters that fiercely rise from the ashes of their circumstances.

Worldbuilding is one of her favorite pastimes. She thinks thunderstorms are better than coffee and that watching a meteor shower is the closest thing to magic you might ever see. She’s a firm believer that every amazing book needs a world you want to wrap yourself in, a character you want to win, and a love you would fight for.

Casey is the author of When Wishes Bleed, Gravebriar, House of Eclipses, and Where Oceans Burn.

@authorcaseybond on social media sites.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
69 (6%)
1 star
29 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 197 reviews
Profile Image for Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm.
1,256 reviews106 followers
January 4, 2016
Abigail Blue has taken a beating after she defended a child who stole an apple in the orchard. She was willing to take it all, the pain, the suffering, the consequences, as long as the child was spared. But what she didn't anticipate was the additional punishment she received afterwards. To work as a servant at the most hated person in the Orchard, at Zander Preston's residence.

Then, her bestfriend Kyan decided to reveal his true feelings for her, when he was already engaged to someone else. And then she met Crew. The one who made her heart go pitter-patter. But she had to restrain herself, control her emotions, decide what was best for her, especially when her sworn enemy Zander decided to marry her.

Can you keep up with the number of guys who got captivated by Abby's stubborn streak and unmatched beauty?

It's time like this when I want to bonk my head for not reading this book as soon as I downloaded it. I was so blind and freaking silly, because it took me months before meeting Abigail Blue and Kyan and Lulu. I loved Abby's strong personality. Raised by her aunt and never knew her real parents, I liked how she grew up to be a mature, sensible and brave person.

And then there's Paige Winters and Zander Preston who deserved to be paired to each other despite their obsession to the main characters. And how could I forget about Crew? I think he's the sunshine in that bleak and dark Orchard. The one I thought that brought out the best in Abby.

This was my first Casey L. Bond novel, and I instantly became a follower. I was mesmerized by the beauty of the story, the uncharacteristically charismatic characters and the amazing world of the Lesser and Greater people of Olympus City. Although this dystopian masterpiece ended in a cliffhanger, I didn't feel cheated at all. The whole story left a mark in my heart and I can't wait to read more, more, more!
Profile Image for tamilnadu09.
202 reviews
May 26, 2015
simply terrible. It would have gotten one star if it hadn't started out so well. It quickly went downhill and proceeded to get more and more ridiculous as the story progressed. Abigail is described as a plain Jane wearing worn out clothes tattered with holes and dirt- oh but every male she comes into contact with falls in love with her. Love triangle? Oh no, more like love pentagon. Her best friend, her sworn enemy, the new guy in town, and even the guard at the palace all want a piece of her.

To top it off, she is extremely unlikeable. Her thoughts and actions come off as childish. Furthermore, she does not portray an adequate amount of rage during the latter half of the book when she discovers she has been lied to by the guy she "loves." She (and the rest of the females from her village) are herded like cattle and treated like prisoners but yet she remains polite during the dinner party with the people responsible for this, smiling and using all her manners. There are no plans of escape, no verbal smackdowns, just nothing.

Crew, one of her love interests, both emotionally and physically abuses her, yet this is almost a non-issue for their relationship. I found myself rooting for no one except myself (to get to the last page and never have to look at this book again). There are also multiple spelling and grammar mistakes peppered throughout the book.

Very disappointing.
Profile Image for Tina.
343 reviews21 followers
September 3, 2015
Author Casey Bond put me through such sweet torture while reading Reap(book 1 in The Harvest Saga). She ripped my heart open, stitched it up only to rip each stitch out one at a time. I loved every agonizing second of it! What a unique and exciting adventure. Simply put, I COULD NOT PUT THIS BOOK DOWN.

There are 3 things I look for in a book and the key to making it a great book for me. The characters are the first. They need to be relateable and I need to feel their experiences, allowing me to cheer them on or feel their sorrow. I found several charcters in Reap that fit this criteria. Abby is my favorite by far because of her strength, loving nature and her stubborn streak. I cried for her, laughed at some of her amusing bantor with other characters and I honestly wanted to kick a few character's butts for what they put her through. There are also a couple hotties I have to mention, Kyan (Abby's BFF) and Crew (a worker sent to help with the harvest). OH my! Both are equally yummy and have personalities that draw you to them.

The second thing that I look for are the "bad guys" in a story. I know that seems odd but I need to laothe them for the story to be believeable and to torture myself. LOL Well I can say with conviction that Bond did a number on me with these jerks. I truly wanted to rip their heads off. To say I hated them would be putting it mildly. I wanted revenge for Abby and seriously wanted to jump into the story and beat them myself.

The third item I look for is a strong story or plot. Of course without this the book wouldn't make much sense or be able to draw me in. Again the author nailed it. I felt like I had stepped into another world and became a part of it. It flowed so seamlessly and she threw a few twists in that rendered me speechless.

To summarize this review, THIS BOOK ROCKS!! Spectacular and superb! I highly recommend it and I can't wait to start book 2.
Profile Image for Nathalie*.
640 reviews25 followers
January 30, 2016
I might change my review I have to mull it over!

This story is not boring its intense in the way that she just doesn't get a break ..everything seems to happen to her .. But she's so strong and strong willed and her values and point of views are so strong , everyone seems to lie to her and she just brushes it off and learns to be more cautious ..she's great! I really liked her best friend and grey .. Grey is great!

Please crew please be great!
Profile Image for Becca.
Author 33 books269 followers
July 17, 2014

It's been a long, long time, since I have read a book in one day, even probably longer still that I stayed fully awake until 2am reading said book. I can't even began to tell you how much you NEED to read this book. Do yourself a favor, and do it. Seriously. Just DOOOO ITTTT

Song Choice: "We Might Be Dead by Tomorrow" Soko, "The Way That I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson

First thoughts: Holymygoodness, okay so honestly going into this, I knew a little bit about it, cough i knew it was a dystopia cough that was it. I was never expecting this. This was...fantastic. Not only was the story beyond engaging, fast-paced, never a dull moment here, but the writing, OMGOD THE WRITING, fabulous. Did you know that Casey Bond is a ridiculously amazing writer?! She is. This was my first from her, and definitely will NOT be my last. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Back to the book though, yeah I got hints of Hunger Games with the different cities, and the main city, sure but it was twisted and done in a Casey fashion that I didn't care. I was so engrossed in the tale that she was spinning (which I might add, I did not see coming!!! <--- seriously if you know me that is HUGE, a lot of times I call things miles before the book even gets there).

Thoughts on Plot: Alright so dystopia. The world is pretty much wiped out by a plague, there is the Lessers and there are the Greaters. And me being me, is disgusted by the system and I want to destroy it myself, the whole time I am thinking, why does it matter? You aren't really living, living the way you are, but must separate myself, this is all they know. Alright moving on. I loved the world-building in this book, it was wonderful, it felt so right. Like okay how do I describe this without sounding insane. It was seamless, there was none that moment you are like wait what? Like you can't quite get a grip on the world the people are living in. None of that, to me the WRITING, OMGOD THE WRITING WAS AMAZING, I am not getting over that, ever!! Anyways I enjoyed the *wiggles eyebrows* romance. I really bought that for Abby she didn't love Ky like he did her. (whoops!) Though really you find that out on page on. Anyways I really loved the pace of this book, when I thought I had things figured out I was wrong. When I thought i finally had it, I was still surprised to find out how wrong I was!! Silly me!! I think this will keep you in suspense, and keep you gripping onto your kindle, e-reader, paperback, whatever format you have it in until the very end, then cursing Casey for not having the next one out NOW, BECAUSE I NEED IT NOW.... i mean... no seriously, Casey give it to me now. please and thank you. All in all, I can't get over how much I loved this book. It was the perfect mixture of adventure, of kickass heroine, romance, dystopia, and just fantastic writing.

Characters:
(i don't do this all the time)

Casting!! (these are my picks!!)

Abby:

Kyan:

Crew:

Gray:

About them!!

Abby: So wow, what an awesome female lead. She was amazing, really strong, really kickass. The best thing about her though that I really liked was that she at first was worried about her little world. Then it evolved, she was beyond mature, and I suppose in the world she lived in she would have to be. She was selfless, so very selfless how she was not a hero in her little village earlier was a surprise to me to be perfectly honest. In the end it was for the greater good, for even better for someone else. Her selfish desires came second. I really loved her spirit, and her just, her. I think you need to read the book too really experience Abby but she is totally, totally worth it!!

Kyan: See he was nice, sweet, and a fun character to banter with, but I feel like there is more for him that we still need to see. I think he will be an interesting person, but I feel like he has the heart of a rebel in him. A man who wants to do good because its what needs to be done.

Crew: What a little mystery. I can honestly say at first I was head over heels for this man, and damn if he doesn't same some super swoony worthy things, but for reasons i cannot discuss in public he is on probation with me.

Gray: I can't really go into depth about him unfortunately as he arrives at the end of the book, but he is very protective of Abby and that means to much to me. And I would be a liar if I didn't say I was in love with him and totally on Team Gray. Seriously.

There were a lot of other characters, the villains (yes plural) were amazingly written, I couldn't be more disgusted with them!! And ohh just amazing, amazing characters.

The ending: Cliffie? Maybe a tad. Does it leave you wanting more? HELL YES IT DOES. I highly recommend this book. HIGHLY recommend it. So sosososo amazing

For more Becca-ness check me out here: http://theviolethourbookreviews.wordp...
Profile Image for Angie Taylor.
Author 8 books44 followers
September 23, 2014
I really liked the premise for this story. The story line started out really strong. I loved the idea of Greaters and Lessers being divided into different social classes and groups. I loved that Abby Blue was born from a couple going against the societal norms, and who fell in love, disregarding what they had been taught about each other.

I continued to enjoy the Orchard part of the book, and loved the friendship between Ky and Abby. I felt like the Prescott's and the threat of Zander added great tension to the story line.

I also loved when the village was introduced with neighboring villagers to help with the harvest. This addition added to the natural pacing of the story.

But I had a hard time with the romantic elements that were introduced when Crew came on the scene. I like my characters to fall in love slowly, and so much of that falling in love is that anticipation of the first kiss, or first hand hold. I lose interest, or don't feel invested in characters, when there is more focus on the physical, rather than the substantive personality development. I had a hard time dispelling my disbelief that Crew and Abby's relationship was built on anything of substance. Romantic tension can carry an entire story to the end. But when too much happens too soon, I lose interest, and feel cheated that the characters didn't work for that first kiss.

I felt like the story picked back up when Abby was taken to the Greater's city. The mysteries of what was happening in connection with the royal family, and how the president was trying to rule the Lessers, was very interesting,and I can see how this sub-plot will really add to the next book.

But once again, I had a hard time believing the romantic elements between Abby and Crew. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to hate Crew, or like him for Abby's sake. And I didn't believe in the idea that they were each others forever. There just wasn't enough of gently falling in love. They don't even know each other. I think this could have been avoided if there had been more mystery about their relationship in the Orchard section of the book.

Regardless of the things I liked and didn't like, I appreciate the opportunity to have read it, and admire Casey L. Bond for writing.
Profile Image for Rachael Brownell.
Author 64 books983 followers
April 1, 2014
Probably my favorite Casey book at this point. The characters were amazing, the story line was unique and at the end, I was screaming for more. I know this is going to be a series and the next book cannot come out fast enough. If you've never read anything by Casey Bond, you should start here. It was a fabulous read!
Profile Image for Katie Jones.
768 reviews18 followers
September 14, 2017
I was instantly hooked on this. Yes, it's a little Hunger Games, without the actual games but for every similarity there is double the unique or different & the romance angle is definitely better without Peeta & with Kyan. Yes I'm totally team Kyan.
Profile Image for Tia Bach.
Author 65 books131 followers
March 25, 2014
Abby "Blue" Kelley feels blessed. Her life is quite full thanks to her loving guardian, Lulu, and her two best friends, Ky and Laney. She's ready to do her part to make sure the apple harvest goes well for her village, but things start to get complicated. First, Kyan would like their relationship to go past friend status; Abby loves him, but more like a brother. Then the Councilman's son, an unsavory fellow from an equally unsavory family, expresses his desire to marry Abby. Actually, he demands it.

To further complicate things, a newcomer from another village comes into town. Crew is drawn to Abby, and she to him. Unfortunately, nothing is as it seems. Things progress to a desperate decision; one that leaves Abby struggling to save herself and her village. Will she find love, or will love be the very thing that threatens everything she holds dear?

I love how the book started--"The few minutes before dawn were usually the most serene. Not today. Today, everything would change"--and then built to a dramatic conclusion without missing a beat in between. Abby embodies strength, facing difficult challenges head on. She handles Ky's feelings for her with grace, and she considers how her decisions will affect those she cares about; even if it means she'll be unhappy. So love her as a character!

For those who love romance, this is a real roller coaster ride--in a good way. Ky found a soft spot in my heart, I must admit, even though I knew Abby's heart was with Crew. Not that love is ever perfect, but Crew had some strikes against him. For now, I'm leaning to Team Ky (but it's a slight lean).

For adrenaline junkies, the last half of the story is full of surprises--well played twists and turns with dramatic results. Casey L Bond spins a unique tale with an age old dilemma--the haves (Greaters) versus the have-nots (Lessers). Of course, I'm not going to give anything away here except to say... be prepared for jaw-dropping revelations. Just when I thought the story couldn't get any better, it did.

Although there were a few grammar hiccups, Casey L Bond has a writing style that pulls you in and doesn't let go. Reap is a real winner, and I can't wait for the next book!

Rating: 4.5 stars, but worthy of rounding up

Note: I received a complimentary copy for review purposes. A positive review was not requested or guaranteed; the opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Kris.
80 reviews18 followers
April 7, 2014
For the residents of Orchard, life is centered around a successful apple harvest. Abby and her community work tirelessly to meet quotas demanded by the Council and achieved by the enforcer, Norris. Under threat of punishment, workers focus on bountiful crops that are to be sent to the greater city of Olympus for distribution. It is a type of serfdom that keeps lessers and greaters in separate spheres; interaction between the groups is illegal.

Citizens of Orchard look forward to the harvest festival, the annual celebration of a prosperous crop and opportunity to preform weddings. Abby's best friend, Ky, is engaged to another, but he only has eyes for Abby. The feelings are not mutual, however, so Ky braces for marriage while longing for his friend. When extra workers are brought to Orchard, Abby meets Crew. This time the feelings ARE mutual, but Crew must leave after the harvest. Abby begins to dream of a different life, one where she has choices and control of her future. As she begins to fight against the system, she learns just how out of control she really is.
I really enjoyed this book - it is original, well constructed, fast paced and gripping. From the prologue to the last page, the story flows beautifully between characters with a long history and new faces that change everything. Abby is a remarkable character: fiercely loyal to her friends & family with a compassionate heart and strong work ethic. She navigates between the attentions of her best friend Ky, the privileged jerk Preston, and the mysterious newcomer Crew to understand what she wants - and does not want - for her future.

You may think a book about apple farmers would be uneventful, but this is NOT the case. Nothing is really as it seems in Orchard, and this year's harvest is yielding more than just apples. Reap is a story with twists and turns - lots of them. It is compelling and very well written. Abby endures many hardships, so it is a joy to cheer her on when things go well...until they don't. I am eager to get my hands on Book 2 (cough, cough soon, please! cough), but until then, it is my pleasure to highly recommend this book to teens and up who enjoy a good Dystopian tale. -kris

Profile Image for Ruth Silver.
Author 23 books1,115 followers
October 8, 2014
I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I've been looking for a new dystopian novel and Reap gave me exactly what I wanted and more. Fans of The Hunger Games, The Selection, and Birthmarked will want to pick up Reap by Casey Bond. A romantic dystopian tale set in the future, Reap is often bleak and filled with angst as any good dystopian book should be.

The characters Casey created in Reap were both likable (and at times hateable) which is exactly what you want as a reader. You want to feel engaged, outraged, and become a part of the novel. It was easy to escape into the world Casey created. The plot was constantly moving forward and about half-way through the book it became nearly impossible to put down.

Let's break it down a little further.

Pros:

- I could literally feel hatred toward many characters that were villains. Although there was a moment that I questioned some of the reasoning for what was happening, it was all explained by the end of the book.

- Plot twists. Sure there were some things you'd suspect going on, but the actual twist was not what I anticipated. I love surprises!

- At the end of each chapter, I constantly wanted to keep reading. Things were happening. I love action!

- Romance. I'm sometimes iffy when it comes to romance. I like a certain amount without it turning into a romp fest. Reap was perfect in terms of romance. Just enough to satisfy readers while still making us crave more.

- Integrating new characters. I love that near the end of the book Casey is still able to bring in new characters and we can feel something amazing toward them.

Cons:

- Although the prose was well-written there was occasional slippage from past to present tense, which made me reread some sentences a few times over.

- At times I felt it was overly violent. However let's not forget this is dystopian and some readers might actually consider this a positive.

Overall, I give Reap 5 stars and recommend it to readers of dystopian romance. I think it's appropriate for ages fourteen and up.
Profile Image for Rachel Barnard.
Author 16 books55 followers
September 22, 2016
In a society where people are divided into castes, Lessers and Greaters, Abby lives as a Lesser in a Lesser village: Orchard. Her life is simple: harvest from the orchard and work every day for the Greaters’ Good. She is content. She has her best friend Kyan and Lulu, the aunt that raised her. But the next harvest is too much for Orchard alone and more Lessers from surrounding villages are called in to help. Abby starts to fall for Crew from Cotton, but he isn’t all that he seems. Something is going on in Abby’s world and she’ll have to work out her feelings as well as work out what’s going on in Orchard.

Like any other caste separated society in dystopian literature, Reap is the story of the special strong female chosen one, but the storytelling and writing style are excellent and very compelling. They pulled me right in and I purchased the entire trilogy before I’d even finished this first book.

I loved all the details about the harvest and the apple orchards that really brought the town of Orchard to life. I wish there had been a bit more creativity and imagination in some of the naming, hence the town of “Orchard” but I was too mesmerized by the brewing trouble in town, the burgeoning romance between Abby and Crew, the complication that Kyan posed, and the greater mystery tied up in the Lesser towns.

I loved how Abby was strong, resilient, and stubborn to the point of stupidity. Her pride is so strong it overwhelms others. She is special for a reason, being both Greater and Lesser and not just in the right place at the right time, though that does help.

As with most YA books, I wish that females were not relegated into antiquated roles of society – the housewife and child bearer. Though the main character is the ‘strong female’ archetype, society at large is still somewhat sexist.

The ending felt rushed, but I didn’t much care because I was able to pick the story right back up with book two…
Profile Image for Jennifer.
Author 34 books196 followers
February 28, 2016
I was warned by my friend Anna Coy that I'd want to throw my kindle across the room by the time I was done reading this book.

Abby Kelley lives in a dystopian world where she is a lesser. Her whole village is. There are Greaters in the world that rule over them. Having lived with her aunt since she was little, this is the only life she knows. She doesn't know anything about her parents or where she came from.

Her best friend, Kyan, would do anything to get her to notice him. Her feelings for him are truly platonic though. He can only hope that he can convince her that a life with him would be better than a life with a stranger. He has his own issues though as he's promised to someone else.

The village that Abby lives in grows apples for the Greaters and the harvest this year is too much for their small village to handle. So reinforcements are brought in. That's when she meets Crew. He seems a lot difference than the boys from her village. His hands are softer, his skin isn't tanned from working outside, and he seems to have some pretty nice clothes. Kyan notices the differences and warns Abby, but Abby is already too drawn into his arms to notice.

In the end the differences should have been noted and her whole world and the lives of those in the village are turned upside down by a huge turn of events. A twist I hadn't expected at all.

In the end Abby must choose how she wants to live her life and it's not how she had pictured it at all. The game has changed and she's nothing but a pawn to some of the people.

If you love YA Dystopian books then you have to read Reap. Casey paints an amazing picture in vivid detail with her words. If she doesn't write the second book faster I may have to track her down and crack the whip!
Profile Image for Ember Shane.
Author 3 books94 followers
January 10, 2016
*Dystopian YA*

An incredibly enjoyable read. Bond did a very nice job creating a believable love triangle. In some stories, there is a large consensus among readers who the clear and obvious match will be. I don't really consider those to be love triangles. In Reap, I really am not sure who I'd rather Abby end up with. Crew and Kyan are pretty much equal to me at this point. Maybe Kyan, but only because Crew comes with a whole lot of drama, LOL.

I've read some reviews that compared this novel to the Divergent series. While I can see that, this book actually reminds me more of The Hunger Games. First, we have Olympus-the capital of the regions. It reminded me a LOT of The Capitol of the districts. This is where the Greaters live. The Greaters are used to being pampered and getting their way. They use the Lessers as pawns for their entertainment and resources. Then-as the title implies-there's a "reaping" that occurs. I don't want to give spoilers, so I'll leave it somewhat ambiguous. They're not harvesting children for a deadly game, but they're harvesting something shady. King Cole reminds me a lot of President Snow as well. Extremely manipulative and will get what he wants at all costs.

I will definitely be adding the rest of this series to my TBR list. Recommended to anyone who enjoys dystopian YA and love triangles. Five stars!!
Profile Image for Casey Peeler.
Author 33 books529 followers
April 7, 2014
Are you a Lesser or Greater? That is the question. Reap is the story of Abby. She lives with her Aunt Lulu in the Lesser community. She has a best friend named Kyan, and lives in Harvest. They work very long hours, but it’s not until Abby stands up for a little girl that things change. She is forced to work for the Preston family who have their own hidden agenda.

This year the harvest is CRAZY! Different groups of lessers are called in…. one hottie in particular, Crew who is from Cotton. At the end of the harvest, children of age are to marry. Kyan is to marry Paige, and there is talk of Abby getting married as well. But what happens when real love is thrown into the mix? Do they get to choose or is it chosen for them? What happens when the person you love chooses for you?

This novel is FABULOUS!!!!!! It is well written, easy to follow, and honestly, I can’t believe I’m going to have to wait to see what happens. I love to read all genres of books, but I’ve always been a YA fan! This one is one that will have readers talking… in a GREAT way!!!
Profile Image for Chris Bostic.
Author 21 books134 followers
September 24, 2014
While three stars might seem a little low, especially considering the overall super-high rating for this book by others. I can honestly say that the Goodreads guideline is apt--I liked this story, but can't say that I really liked it.

The story line was fairly unique, though the idea of different villages producing different goods and the special capital city was a bit too much like Hunger Games for me.

The descriptions are nicely done. I had a pretty clear view of the place and the characters. Abby Blue was a likable MC, but I was less impressed with the boys. There was a nice bit of mystery throughout too.

Besides not completely loving the story or some of the characters, my issues are two-fold. The romantic elements didn't quite work for me, and there was a surprising number of grammatical errors. The majority of the writing is tight, but there are several slips in tense from past to present that became a bit annoying.

Overall, I like the premise for this story and wouldn't have any concerns about recommending this book to others.
Profile Image for Delisa Lynn.
Author 23 books171 followers
March 17, 2014
This is a wonderful story. It's a pretty quick read, with a few twist. I love this author, she has a way of making me feel her characters. I honestly never read a dystopian until, i read Devil Creek also by Casey L Bond. In this dystopian we meet Abby Kelley. Who was raised be her aunt. Her best friend Kyan is in love with her, but she doesn't have the same feelings for him. There is a new guy that has all of Abby's attention. Then there is Zander who want's Abby for himself. But once she loses the person closest to her, more secrets from the village will be reveled. I can't wait to read more in this series.
117 reviews1 follower
September 28, 2014
I LOVED this book. Once I picked it up and started reading...I couldn't put it down. It was an amazing, emotional page turner.

I loved the characters, loved the characters I hated and loved the whole concept behind the story.

Casey is an exceptional writer. She knows how to tell a story that keeps you engaged and right in the thick of it all so you don't want to leave! I received this book in exchange for an honest review. As soon as i finished I went and purchased the second book! I can't wait to see what happens next! This is a must read!!
Profile Image for Wendy.
63 reviews
April 27, 2014
Reap was an engaging page-turner right from the very beginning! The description of the characters and setting allowed me to envision a vivid picture, and I was drawn into the exciting storyline immediately. I am so glad this is part of a series, because I look forward to knowing more and seeing what happens next! I will definitely be first in line for future books in this series, and I would highly recommend this book to everyone, especially fans of dystopian fiction and love-triangles!
Profile Image for Karen.
96 reviews12 followers
June 13, 2014
If you like the dystopian genre, then I highly recommend Reap. It's a fast paced story that keeps you intrigued from start to finish. It's a very imaginative storyline and is not predictable as so many other stories can be. Reap touched on so many of my emotions and I loved the development of all of the characters. I was sad when I read my last chapter and can't wait until Book 2 in this series comes out!
Profile Image for Deausha Felker-sernicola.
54 reviews2 followers
April 11, 2014

Amazing book , loved all the characters.. The story is amazing . The twists and turns AMAZING . I really can't wait to see who she ends up with !!!! And how !! A bit of a cliffhanger at the end. but that makes you want to know more that's happened and where its going .. THIS IS A MUST read . TY Casey for a wonderful read that took me away and blew my mind !!!! WELL DONE
Profile Image for Esti.
352 reviews8 followers
April 12, 2019
2.5 to 3 stars! So this started out really good, got kinda haphazard, went back to good, and then got rushed and a little... I dont know what the word is. I enjoyed the plot, the story idea was great but execution a little lacking. I really wish there was more character and story development. Not a fan of the insta-love, at least now how it was developed here. So much more could have been achieved with proper character development, it's now all at face value and kinda pull it from your sleeve. It is all from Abby's POV until the end where we have a view from Crew and one from Kyan. Also... why does Crew have to hack the medical records and Ky basically gets a text message? The writing was more choppy in some places than others and some of the dialogue a bit simple. Like another book by this author (Frenzy) it seriously could have been taken to another level and be amazing. But it was too rushed and with so much going on, just makes it all over the place. I am interested in reading more but I am a hit hesitant as I the second frenzy book was a DNF.
January 17, 2018
The novel Reap by Casey L, Bond is set in the United States of America. This is different from present time with different states. They go by Lessers and Greaters now. The main character lives in one of the lesser villages called Orchard. The genre of this book is dystopian fiction along with this comes romance too. It is also set around the harvest which is when the village starts to collect apples for the Greaters. But the unexpected happened.
The main characters are Abigail Blue Kelley also know as Abby Blue. Her best friend is Kyan. There is something off about Crew, the mysterious boy from another village, that no one knows. There are a few others that are scattered throughout the story. The story is in Abby's point of view unless stated otherwise. In the beginning, Abby protected a little girl who took an apple from the orchard because she was hungry, but they were for the Greaters. Abby protected her and took her place for the punishment which is getting lashed. She had to get healed before the harvest ended because it just started. So she had to do house chores for the Prestons which resulted in her working for Xander. The Harvest was so big so they had to bring in some of the other villages and that is where she meets the mysterious Crew. What will happen in the end with this mysterious boy or with the other villages because that has never happened before?
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.The book keeps the reader on their toes with all the plot’s twist and turns.The characters are very detailed and well planned out. The emotions of the characters are like the reader's emotions because it is like the reader is like the character. The characters are very relatable to a degree. The ending is left on a very different ending but it makes the reader want to the next book and keep reading on.
April 13, 2019
Great Imagination

This is a good read and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series and I'm sure the one after that.
Profile Image for Phoenix.
356 reviews13 followers
November 22, 2019
The first half is a vapid and predictable love-square. Then, I guess the author remembered she'd introduced this novel as dystopian because she brought on this absolute deluge of plot holes and utter nonsense.

All you need to know about this book can be summed up with an actual, factual quote from the Strong Female Lead main character:

"I'm not like other girls."

[retching noises]
301 reviews6 followers
March 20, 2015
Reap is a dystopian novel set in the not so distant future. After a deadly plague wipes out ninety percent of the worlds population society rebuilds with a new structure. Those whose genes are deemed to be superior become the leaders of the world - the Greaters. Everyone else is a Lesser. The Lessers do everything for the Greaters. And the two groups do not mingle. That is part of what makes Abigail Blue so special. No one but her Aunt Lulu knows that Abby is not a Lesser, not even Abby. Given to Lulu to raise by her father, Lulu’s brother, Abby is the daughter of a Lesser/Greater union - something virtually unheard of. Raised as a Lesser and on the cusp of womanhood, Abigail’s life is about to change completely and the world she has grown up in will never be the same.

This is the beginning of what I think will be a really intriguing series. It is going to sound weird but I fell in love with the prologue - Lulu’s introduction to baby Abby was spot on and really opened the novel on a strong note. Abby is such an interesting character and I cannot wait to see more of her throughout these books. There is a lot of intrigue throughout this novel. There is never a dull moment, just when you think that you know what is going to happen a new twist or turn is thrown into the mix taking the book into a completely different place, which is thrilling to read. However, at the same time it brings me to my biggest problem with book. Throughout almost the entire book it felt as if everything were happening just for the sake of happening ----- if that makes sense.

Let me explain. A lot of the novel revolves around Abby Blue’s relationships - with her Aunt, with her best friend Kyan; with Crew, the stranger from another village; with Gray the Greater soldier. Even with her enemies Zander and Norris. These relationships and interactions are the heart of this book. And yet for most of the interactions there is no real depth, no real organic feeling thrust to the interactions. For instance we don’t really get the chance to see why Abby and Crew are so attracted to each other. They go from 0 to 100 so quickly and with no other reason than maybe physical. Similarly, we know Abby and Kyan are best friends but we do not really see that connection (Abby very rarely shows her feelings towards Kyan and while it is safe to say that while we can see Kyan is in love with Abby I often could not tell you why.) Those moments when we do see the connections between Abby and the men in her life are wonderful because they open up a world of possibilities but they are few and far between.

And while Abby is such a strong character she spends much of the book going back and forth, forgiving completely everyone who manipulates or hurts her even while they are still hurting or manipulating her. To the point where I found myself thinking maybe I read something wrong, maybe that did not happen and then going back and realizing that yes, yes it did it was just sort of brushed under the rug (like the whole last third of the book).

I know this sounds like I did not like the book, which is not true. I was actually really intrigued by the whole book and I cannot wait to read the next installment. I just hope that it is a little more …..organic. That we get a little more of that genuine nature that is present in the beginning or in when Kyan and Abby are having their stew or when Abby and Gray start to connect. Those moments are there. I just hope there are more of them……
Profile Image for Jo Michaels.
Author 79 books260 followers
May 14, 2014
I snagged a copy of this book on Amazon and I'm so glad I did! It was an amazing little read and I got through it in just two days. You won't look at life the same way after you read this story. It's something you won't be able to quit thinking about when you're done reading (a sign of a great story). When you have to put it down to do something else, you'll be thinking about the story and yearning to pick it up again. But, enough of my rambling, let me tell you why it's awesome.

From a Reader's Perspective:
Holy wow. I couldn't put this book down until I got to the last page (and I still wanted more)! I'm completely intrigued to find out how this is all going to turn out in future books. Fans of the Hunger Games will see vague similarities in the Harvest Saga series, but Bond is taking it in a whole other direction. There's no slaughter in this book in order to reign supreme, rather a struggle to just be human and be allowed to live life. I adored the idea of Greaters and Lessers, and found it amazing that the author could think up something like that. Abby was a character I loved. I was shown her tough, motherly side in the first chapter, and she felt like she fit in with people I'd pal around with because of their virtues. Bad guys in this book are despicably evil, and the good guys are awesome, though the lines get blurry now and then as you read. I got so angry with the behavior of one of the devious characters, I wanted to reach in the book and slap his whole family. That's when you know you've gotten hold of a good read. World building was perfect, and the ending was everything a first book in a series ought to be: Engaging, nerve-racking, and surprising in many ways.

From an Editor's Perspective:
Well, let me just say, there were a ton of run-on sentences, comma splices, and tense jumps; but, oddly, none of it took me out of the story. I kept reading until I was finished. While those things were irritating sometimes, they didn't take away from what I was getting out of the words. Sadly, I can't give a star for editing in this case.

Rating:
+1 Star for keeping me engaged and vested in the story
+1 Star for awesome world-building
+1 Star for the characters and the connection (and, alternately, mad hate) I felt
+1 Star for a wonderful ending that felt like the author didn't rush, but left me on the edge of my seat
- 1 Star for editing
Overall 4 out of 5 stars! Highly recommended read for fans of dystopian novels with a twist of romance.
Profile Image for Valerie Jaye.
87 reviews49 followers
February 3, 2018
Oh my God, this book is so bad I can't even finish it. The ebook was free so I thought "Okay. The synopsis seems fine. I'll give it a shot". I regret it. I'm gonna go on a small rant here, because I'm a little angry.

The writing was fine (except for a grammatical error here and there), the descriptions were clear and simple. But the story is bad. The general concept of the society seemed interesting enough, but as far as I've read (which is almost half of the book), it barely matters. The main character, Abby, could've been such an interesting character considering who her parents are, but she's not believable or relatable. Actually, there isn't a single character who has a believable personality.
The romance is SO terrible it makes me mad. It's SO cliché. I rolled my eyes more than once and practically laughed at how predictable it was. Abby meets the guy and like three days later she's making out with him like she's been in love her entire life. There is zero development in their relationship. One day they meet. A week later, they're in love. It would've made a lot more sense if she was in love with her life-long friend, Kyan. But no, the author wanted to be "original" by not making the main character be in love with someone she's known her entire life, but decided the main character would fall in love with a complete stranger in a week . Ugh. How does that make more sense to you, Casey?
And I don't even care what happens next. Someone just got murdered and I don't even care. The mystery around that person's disappearance wasn't done very well and I didn't get a chance to really feel the loss of that person so, when we know that person is dead, it doesn't shock or hurt me in any way.
Also, I read almost half of the book and nothing important has actually happened (until this person died, I guess); nothing that moves the plot forward, at least. You can't take so long to have such an event. Half the book. Chapter 10. It's too much. There should've been a hint before, at some point.

Honestly, I stopped reading because the romance was so terribly developed that it pissed me off and didn't let me enjoy the good that was left of the book. I like cheesy and cliché... if it's done well. This book does not do it well.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 197 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.