Start by marking “Dead Man's Grip” as Want to Read:
Dead Man's Grip

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Dead Man's Grip (Roy Grace #7)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  4,111 Ratings  ·  308 Reviews
Carly Chase is still traumatized ten days after being in a fatal traffic accident that kills a teenage American student from Brighton University. Then she receives news that turns her entire world into a living nightmare. The drivers of the other two vehicles involved have been found tortured and murdered. Now Detective Superintendent Roy Grace of the Sussex Police Force i ...more
Audio CD
Published May 5th 2014 by Macmillan Audio (first published January 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man's Grip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man's Grip

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Peter James is such a wonderful author.....

This book kept surprising me all the way through - I would never want to get on the wrong side of this man. He has so many novel ways of doing a person in!

In this chilling psychological thriller, a fatal traffic accident has unforeseen and unimaginable consequences.

Lawyer, Carly Chase, took evasive action and crashed her car into a café instead of hitting the American student riding his bike on the wrong side of the road. But when breathalysed she is fo
Michael
Feb 14, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The seventh in the Roy Grace series. The opening few chapters involving a road traffic accident sets the scene. Without explaining plot spoilers, those involved in the accident become potential targets for the killer.

Overall I enjoyed the book- PJ never disappoints for me. I love the snappy short chapters that are PJ trademark. However, I'm finding it hard to rate as some of the plot strands tend to be significantly less realistic.
Michele
Nov 11, 2011 Michele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an ARC won from GoodReads. Dead Man's Grip is a police procedural (which is not my normal choice in books). It was not a psychological thriller, nor was it a suspense or a "whodunnit." I found the plot to be very linear and there were no surprises or turns in the story. It really was just a police procedural. I was hoping for some sort of a plot turn. I understand however that Peter James is very good at the this genre and the book certainly does take you along in the footsteps of the c ...more
Tyrone
Jan 30, 2012 Tyrone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason it actually took a little while to get into this. Normally i devour one of these in a few days. I'm not sure if it was the description of the novel i read from the dust cover, or the involvement of the Mafia in a British police procedural. Or it may be because i also obtained all of the Jack Frost novels at around the same time and couldn't wait to get through those.

Anyway, under pressure of getting the book of to the mother in-law who also loves crime novels, i finally got stuck
Chris
May 27, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I pre-ordered this book; something I don’t normally do when buying books. However, being a Peter James enthusiast and having spent many years living and working close to Brighton, (where the Roy Grace series of books are featured) I was keen to read the latest instalment.

Unfortunately some bright spark in the Amazon marketing department, thought it was a good idea to post a video of Peter James explaining the plot of Dead Man’s Grip, his seventh book in the series. Within less than a minute we
Monica
I keep getting sucked in by the great blurbs by people I really like, praising Peter James to the skies. And I really like good police procedurals, especially British and European ones - there are hundreds of them on my bookshelves. But Roy Grace leaves me lukewarm. He's a bit of a sad case - and the missing wife back story seems more of a distraction than an illumination. He reminds me a bit of Charlie Brown.

This book has some decent bits - the attempt to rescue the kidnapped boy at the end is
Diane Challenor
Too grisly for me, but I had to know what happened. So I raced through it. I can calm down now. My next book will have to be a much slower ride.
Amy Andrea
May 27, 2013 Amy Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Man’s Grip by Peter James is a great book if you are in the mood for a mystery thriller. This book keeps you entertained and wanting to read more. The author switches the point of views from chapter to chapter keeping the reader involved and thinking. It is an exciting read about a girl, Carly, involved in a car crash. However, you later find out that it was not just an ordinary car crash. It turns out that the other drivers involved were tortured and killed before the crash and Carly was t ...more
Joan
I've just finished reading Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler series and was looking for a decent crime detective series. I like Lord Peter Wimsey, Commander Sam Vimes - that sort of character- and this series was recommended to me.

Perhaps after being engrossed in Hill's series for the last couple of weeks I was expecting something on similar lines, but I was disappointed. If I had known this novel was about the mob, then I would not have bought it but also I couldn't get interested in the charact
Cleo Bannister
Aug 01, 2014 Cleo Bannister rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, crime-series
I was looking forward to this latest offering from Peter James but was left slightl disappointed. I think it was the hitman element which just didn't feel realistic, especially as all the previous books relayed a feeling that the events could happen.

The story begins with Carly Chase getting into her car to take her son to school and being involved, although not directly, in a collision which kills a young American student. The writing is good, the setting well done and it is really nice meeting
Bettie☯
Nutty NUUT read

Dedication: To Eva Klaesson-Lindeblad

Opening: On the morning of the accident, Carly had forgotten to set the alarm and overslept.

Best interaction: "In some states in US it's still illegal to do it in any other way than the missionary position. She's now going religious fdundamentalist on me. I'm a deviant in God's eyes apparently."

"Doesn't that make Him a voyeur?"

4* Dead Simple (Roy Grace #1)
4* Looking Good Dead (Roy Grace #2)
4* Not Dead Enough (Roy Grace #3)
4* Dead Man's Footste
Sandra
Jan 18, 2015 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo-e-reader
Another great installment of the Roy Grace series. This book was, for me, easier to keep track of than some of the other stories. There weren't quite so many twists and turns or a whole bunch of key characters. The story was, as always, interesting and captivating. As for the recurring thread of Roy's missing wife, I really hope some of it will be solved soon. Won't say any more because I don't want to spoil it for others, but I do think there's more to the story....
Karen
Feb 16, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to get through this one, but only because of a reading slump.....this is a very good series, the continuity is great and the author keeps me guessing, not something that happens to me very often. I like it that the police make mistakes, and even one of the "bad guys" from a previous book made a (creepy) appearance!
Colin Mitchell
Four people's fate come together on a morning in Brighton, leading to a trail of murder and broken lives as Roy Grace and his team hunt the killer.

The Grace saga is a little predictive but an entertaining read none the less. It moves along quickly and again has the sub -plot of Grace's estranged wife Sandy flowing through it.

I would rate this as 3.5 just.
Elaine
Feb 09, 2017 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usual good read but about 50 pages too long , maybe I was tired though!
Alla
Dec 12, 2011 Alla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Dead man’s grip” is the newest entry in Peter James’s mystery series featuring Detective Superintendent Roy Grace of the Sussex police force. In Grace’s newest case, Tony Revere—an American student studying in Great Britain and the grandson of a New York mafia don—is run over by multiple cars while biking on the wrong side of the road.

And soon, all the drivers involved in the accident begin getting murdered one by one, until there’s no one left except Carly Chase—a middle-aged lawyer and singl
Elayne
Jun 03, 2015 Elayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Loved it! As usual, a thriller worthy of its name from this talented author. I love it that, at first, the reader is puzzled by the different characters and what their role might be in the story, then it all comes together and you have a "ah ha!" moment!

Its amazing what one person's folly could cause in the scheme of things, the events that come about because a woman with a hangover, is driving badly, a lorry driver who is exceeding his driving hours, so takes a different route, an impatient va
Yvette
Aug 03, 2016 Yvette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A friend insisted that I should read Peter James' crime novels as they were far better than what I'd read before by him (Perfect People and The House on Cold Hill).
But I find I've got the same problems here as with the rest of his writing: too predictable, too long windy descriptions which are unnecessary (who cares how many turns he takes during a drive to a crime scene, or that he takes a turn at a filling station or a Tesco), too gratuitously gruesome scenes which bring nothing to the story,
~ Cariad ~
Bloody hell, I really enjoyed that!

So excited to see what's going to happen next in this series : )
Alex
Mar 21, 2016 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book without realising it was part of a larger series and that might have tempered my enjoyment a bit. I found the story to be predictable and cliched (especially in regards to the American mob family) and I was annoyed by the backstory regarding Grace's missing wife (probably makes more sense if you read the earlier books). The killer had some imaginative ways of disposing of his victims, but the rest of the characters seemed too familiar. The English police (Grace excepted) we ...more
Labijose
Oct 21, 2016 Labijose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be, so far, one of my favourite books from The Roy Grace series. I jumped from number five to number seven, so I can not judge the previous one, but this was another good thriller, fast-paced and interesting. What starts as a road traffic collision leads to mafia-related plot, keeping you on edge. As usual, short chapters and well defined characters and locations. I haven’t been to Brighton, but yet it feels as though I am a local, such are the descriptions of the place.
No doubt I will
Diane S ☔
Nov 04, 2011 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received this as a first read giveaway. I have read all the Roy Grace books and this one kept to the high standard set by his previous books. An accident involving a car, a truck and a white van that drives away after hitting a killing a cyclist sets in motion a chain of events that leads to Grace and his team investigating. Also set backs in his private life keep the novel swiftly moving. A fantastic twist at the end just add to this very good read.
Jule
Feb 26, 2012 Jule rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter James Roy grace series is one of my favourite's of this genre - along with Susan Hill's Simon Serralier series. This was one of his best. The story line was plausible, the tension constant and the characters were all interesting.

I recommedn the whole series being read in order and the main characters personal lives are interesting 7 evolving.
Anne
Oct 02, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this one - the best in the series so far for me, and I loved the references to other books and characters (especially the taxi driver!) and thought the Roy Grace personal bits were wonderfully tantalising...
Svein F Hestvaag
Jan 18, 2016 Svein F Hestvaag rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James travelling across the Atlantic, and it works. The most appalling stuff though, is the story of Grace’s past, lurking in the shadows.
Andrew
Nov 03, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took a bit longer than usual to get into this one, but soon picked up pace and was a cracking read with plenty of tension towards the end. Some grizzly murders are involved. 4.5 Stars.
Jill Hutchinson
Review to follow.
Carey Combe
Jun 10, 2011 Carey Combe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series!
Ms Kathryn Pizar
Jan 19, 2017 Ms Kathryn Pizar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deadly gripping read.

I've read all the Roy Grace series in order, as mostly they follow on from each other. This story kept me reading till the early hours to finish all 500 odd pages, and really was a thrilling read. However a couple of things annoyed me a bit.
The interaction between Grace and Chloe is getting a bit schmaltzy, and the constant cooing over each other is wearying. I wish the Sandy storyline would come to a conclusion one way or another. We know she's still alive and that Grace
Nathan
Feb 02, 2017 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed Peter James. This one seemed just too contrived to me. OK there is a terrible road accident and the parents want revenge. However, when they are the family of the head mafia guy in New York , that is when alarm bells started ringing. Then the fact that although they were half way across the globe, they managed to find out the identity and whereabouts of the hit and run driver before the local police do. Do me a favor. I won't go into any more issues for fear of completely spoiling ...more
Play Book Tag: Dead Man's Grip by Peter James - 4.5 Stars 1 10 Jun 03, 2016 06:44AM
  • From the Dead (Tom Thorne, #9)
  • Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)
  • A Dark Redemption (Carrigan and Miller, #1)
  • The Woman in Black (Jessica Daniel, #3)
  • The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)
  • Cold Shoulder (Lorraine Page, #1)
  • Cross and Burn (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #8)
  • Hand For A Hand (DCI Gilchrist, #2)
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • Last Rites (DC Laura McGanity, #3)
  • Strange Affair (Inspector Banks, #15)
  • The Keeper (D.I. Sean Corrigan, #2)
  • The Kill Call (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #9)
  • The Child Who
207356
Peter James has been a screenwriter and film producer, and is now the author of best selling crime novels. James has written 25 books, the most recent of which feature Brighton-based Detective Superintendent Roy Grace. His books have been translated into 29 languages. In England they are published by Pan Books and in the US by Carroll & Graf Publishers. James has written supernatural thrillers ...more
More about Peter James...

Roy Grace (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Dead Simple (Roy Grace, #1)
  • Looking Good Dead (Roy Grace, #2)
  • Not Dead Enough (Roy Grace, #3)
  • Dead Man's Footsteps (Roy Grace, #4)
  • Dead Tomorrow (Roy Grace, #5)
  • Dead Like You (Roy Grace, #6)
  • Not Dead Yet (Roy Grace, #8)
  • Dead Man's Time (Roy Grace, #9)
  • Want You Dead (Roy Grace, #10)
  • You Are Dead (Roy Grace, #11)