Start by marking “İnsan Neyle Yaşar?” as Want to Read:
İnsan Neyle Yaşar?

İnsan Neyle Yaşar?

Lev Nikolayeviç Tolstoy (1828-1910): Anna Karenina, Savaş ve Barış, Kreutzer Sonat ve Diriliş'in büyük yazarı; yaşamının son otuz yılında kendini insan, aile, din, devlet, toplum, özgürlük, boyun eğme, başkaldırma, sanat ve estetik konularında kuramsal çalışmalara verdi. Bu dönemde yazdığı öykülerde yıllarca üzerinde düşündüğü insanlık sorunlarını edebi bir kurgu içinde ...more
Published 2013 by Türkiye İş Bankası Kültür Yayınları (first published 1885)

To ask other readers questions about İnsan Neyle Yaşar?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about İnsan Neyle Yaşar?

Start your review of İnsan Neyle Yaşar?
Ibrahim Niftiyev
I was almost at the stage of crying around the end of the book. Tolstoy's spiritual teaching of the reader is a special process. I felt the power of fiction which teaches and explains the divine truth to the humans. This is the power of Tolstoy, this is the power of books, this is the power of spirit.
Drilona
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story about what makes us human.

"I have learnt that all men live not by care for themselves but by love.

"It was not given to the mother to know what her children needed for
their life. Nor was it given to the rich man to know what he himself
needed. Nor is it given to any man to know whether, when evening
comes, he will need boots for his body or slippers for his corpse.

I understood that God does not wish men to live apart, and
therefore he does not reveal to them what each one needs for
Onur B
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good book from Tolstoy upon human and love, i like it.
P
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Another gem by a brilliant man. I listened to an audiobook version obtained from Hoopla. At first I was a little skeptical of the narrator, but by the end, the story was so moving this was easily overcome.
Dimitris
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this touching little morality tale so much!!!
Perfect Greek translation/edition too.
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant little story
Stone Sliminess
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well boys, what's better: short Tolstoy or long Tolstoy?
Trevor Durham
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most moving parable I have ever read.
Ragini
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, what fun!
Asha Seth
Michael, an angel from heaven, is punished by God for not following God’s bidding and is sent to earth. Michael is set a task to find answers to God’s 3 questions, only then can he return. What follows is a heart-touching tale, one narrated from the angel’s perspective. Written in Tolstoy’s classic style, it teaches us just how important is to love, to forgive, to understand, to obey, and finally, not look down upon one.
Akshunya
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some stories change the way you look at the world and people around you.
"What men live by" will remain one of those for me.
Thanks to 'badBookThief' for the suggestion!
Dianna
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
2.5 stars It was little too preachy for my tastes.
Yuki
A truly great classics. Reminds me of the Japanese folk tale "The Crane Wife".
Z1
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read written by the Russian Count Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy, more commonly known in America as Leo Tolstoy. Let me tell you right now, it made a great impression. The writing style was actually quite modern so anyone could understand it, and short so that people who get annoyed by having to sit down and read 500 pages at once don’t have to worry about that. The only thing that might make people hate it is that there are religious themes and, spoiler alert, one of the ...more
Kristelle
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I understand that growing up in a predominantly Catholic household would have given me BIASES. Admittedly, this might be a factor of why I like the tale so much. Reflecting further though, I believe anyone of any age and of any belief can enjoy this story. A good read and a good reminder that despite the differences culture might offer, a central moral characteristic binds humanity together. It wouldn't take divine intervention to see the truths of What men Live By.
Oktay Eren
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite story was ‘The coffee-house of Surat’. Actually this story underlines the existance of the God and emphasizes what kind of bullshit the religion concept is :) Even though I do not agree with the existance of the god part, it is a really good explanation of the diversity of the religions. Besides I couldn’t agree more on the argument which explains the motivation of the people assuming that their religion is the upstanding and the best one :)
N
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A moving story about how the entire earth works on the basis of a single feeling: love.
“I have now understood that though it seems to men that they live by care for themselves, in truth it is love alone by which they live. He who has love, is in God, and God is in him, for God is love.”

Excerpt From
What Men Live By, and Other Tales
graf Leo Tolstoy

Flaminia
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav
The extraordinary journey of a family, a humble shoemaker meets an angel, and throught its growth learnes what really matters in life, what leads to any human decision and earthly pleasure. And thankfully, for once, it is something humans can be proud of, that is to say, LOVE
Yıldırım Saraçoğlu
Leo Tolstoy book is perfectly written book about life's meaning and what should we do about life and how can we live in good shape in life. You can be find yourself your question inside of your life will be answering and giving you an answer to be satisfied.
Jasmine Stevens
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went into this short story without knowing anything about it, and I am so glad that I did.
I interpreted the message as being, that we should always help those around us as we never know who they might be/or become. Even the smallest assistance could help that individual in more ways than we could ever imagine.
Mehmed Gokcel
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I have now understood that though it seems to men that they live by care for themselves, in truth it is love alone by which they live. He who has love, is in God, and God is in him, for God is love."
Kortan Toygar
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One should Always remember that we will not live forever ...
Deniz Köse
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing..
Ertan Fatih
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good
Susanna Grant
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a little gem---very russian, very good
Nurullah Doğan
Read in Turkish.
Kim  Scripture
Jan 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Total religious propaganda.
Fatih
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
totally amazing. A must read book.
Jacob Welker
This was a great short story with a good overall message. Recommended to me by my father, it was an easy and quick read that is thought provoking and interesting.
Mohamad Ahmad
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in Turkish but man is Leo Tolstoy deep. This man's understanding of the human condition is unmatched. He knows too much about humans that you feel understood, in a way.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Kürk Mantolu Madonna
  • İçimizdeki Şeytan
  • Kuyucaklı Yusuf
  • Beyaz Geceler
  • Bir Ömür Nasıl Yaşanır?
  • Un mariage à Lyon
  • Chess Story
  • Bilinmeyen Bir Kadının Mektubu
  • Suç ve Ceza
  • Twilight and Moonbeam Alley
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider ...more
“All men live not by what they intend for their own well being, but by the love that dwells in others.” 1 likes
“kıvılcımı söndürmeyen ateşi zapt edemez” 0 likes