Start by marking “Together Apart” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

Together Apart

When Adam proposes to Sarah, the last thing he expects is to be single and heartbroken less than forty-eight hours later. But Sarah has a secret - and she's willing to sacrifice everything to keep it.

Going through a break-up is hard enough but having to live together afterwards is even worse, especially when it's a break-up neither person wants. For Adam, there are only t
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 242 pages
Published June 23rd 2015 by Natalie Martin (first published May 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Together Apart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Together Apart

Start your review of Together Apart
Jules
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Together Apart is a great book if you enjoy a character led story that focuses on the dynamics of the relationship between the two main characters.

I found myself becoming very emotionally involved as the story progressed, and loved the nostalgia of Sarah’s diary entries, probably helped by me having been to Corporation in Sheffield a few times many years ago to see rock bands.

I thought this worked really well as an audiobook and was well narrated. I loved the narrator, Justine Eyre’s voice, or
Elaine
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Adam and Sarah are in love. They have just moved in together and are now on a relaxing foreign holiday, enjoying each other’s company. Everything looks perfect until Adam proposes and Sarah immediately turns him down and ends the relationship there and then without any explanations. Unfortunately they cannot afford to separate yet. They have only just moved and haven’t arrived at the break clause date in their lease yet so for the next few weeks we follow them tip toeing around each other, Adam ...more
Jemma
May 31, 2015 rated it liked it

‘Together Apart’ was a really original concept for a book and I felt it was well executed for what it was. It was actually more light-hearted than I was anticipating but heartfelt and profound moments were littered in the most unexpected places.

It all begins when Adam proposes to Sarah during their romantic getaway together. The scenery is stunning, the mood is perfect; nothing could go wrong. Until she says no. Unsurprisingly, Adam is heartbroken and, later, angry. He’s been given no answers a
Natalie K. Martin
Mar 13, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
HARPERCOLLINS AUTHONOMY EDITOR REVIEW:

Together Apart

I was hooked from page one of this manuscript. It is really refreshing to read mass-market women’s fiction with a distinctly intelligent edge. The manuscript rang true as a depiction of modern British twenty-somethings - it wasn’t forced, it wasn’t contrived, it just felt genuine. Even better, both of the lead characters, male and female, were equally well realised. It was the particularly convincing male character in Adam, from a female writer
Connie
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Source: I downloaded this book via Kindle Unlimited.
Cost: Free

Title: Together Apart
Author: Natalie K. Martin
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary
Overall Rating: 4 stars

Together Apart was one of those books I downloaded on a whim, the cover was cute but I didn't actually expect to like it. It was probably going to be cheesy...

But how wrong was I? I actually ended up really enjoying following our two main characters as they tackled their breakup in their own way. Adam resorted to drinking and
Susan
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed TOGETHER APART by Natalie K Martin. It is hard for me to believe it is a debut novel. She really made me feel all of Adam's frustrations and his heartbreak. At times I just wanted to shake him and tell him to move on and at other times I just wanted to reach in to the pages and give him a big hug. For being only a little less than two hundred pages, TOGETHER APART really pulls you in and has you flipping the pages quickly to see what is going to happen next. Natalie K. Martin's ...more
sue
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it

This starts off with Sarah and Adam taking a holiday abroad. Everything on the surface seems good, they are in love, they live together, nothing can go wrong, right?
.....

Not the case. Adam proposes marriage to Sarah and Sarah turns him down. No explanation, nothing.

The trouble is, they can't afford to separate due to finances.

We see them walking on egg shells around each other, trying not to get in each others way, each with their own personal innermost feelings locked inside each other.

We late
Honeypie
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This is one of the few instances where the blurb is the book. Go figure.

Anyway, I enjoyed this. It was a little lengthy and tended to go back to "square one" at times, but I had fun reading it.

The characters were also easy to like, but not puppet-like. They're not good and perfect, but were fun to read about. This didn't have too much angst, and "emotional emotions". It was quite light to read.

This is NM's first novel, and I don't mind reading more of her works. But maybe with less typographical
Caroline Batten
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I utterly LOVE this book. It's up there with One Day for managing to get both the male and female perspectives bang on the money.

It's so refreshing to get a raw, honest male POV from a female author. And omg, do I love Adam. *sigh* He's like Mr Ordinary, but just lovely with it . The kind of guy you see your friends go out with but never manage to bag for yourself.

This is quality contemp romance - heart-wrenching, but not melodramatic, smile-inducing, but not cringeworthy.

Def worth a read!
Lesley
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
no big secret reveal, knew what was coming. and really her reasons just didn't fit well if it was a good relationship. I didn't hate the story but was not impressed.
Bex | TotallyBex.com
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Together Apart by Natalie Martin is a realistic portrayal of love, relationships, and the affects of a breakup. It is realistic, raw, and full of tension. The dual point-of-view works well, and gives you a glimpse into the mind of an ordinary guy in love with a woman who is leading a double life. While there is a suspense element to the story, I f
Judy Collins
Natalie K. Martin, delivers her debut, TOGETHER APART, a contemporary chick-lit love story-- when the past collides with the present, for a heart-breaking story of modern relationships, miscommunication, and secrets.

Adam and Sarah are living together, and in love. Except Sarah has a dark past and she is not sharing it with Adam. All is well until Adam, the young real estate professional proposes. Sarah turns down the proposal. She keeps those close to her at arm’s length. She is not ready to s
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Right from the start we find out that Sarah has a big secret, something that stops her accepting Adam's proposal. I was hooked and was desperate to find out what that secret was, and if they could overcome it and be happy. A great read and will look out for this author again.
BooksandBeyondFiftyShades
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Natalie Martin
Natalie Martin is a new author with a huge potential to make it to the NY Best Sellers List!! This amazing book teaches you that no matter how dark and horrific your secret is always good to shared it with the person you love.

She takes you to those places in life where you weight in all your decision and makes you think if you had always done the right thing!!! I had never had a book stir so many emotions while I was reading it!!!

Meet Sara a quiet, shy, young lady with a passion
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but it was a little annoying to read. I did guess part of Sarah's secret pretty early on, but not the devastating reason she couldn't share it with anyone. I think her reaction was actually pretty understandable in many ways. Something like this is not something you just move past without consequence.

Anyway, the book feels like it was written ten or more years ago. No mention of today's technology that has become commonplace. Yet at the end of the version I read, there is an
Melek
Jun 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
The blurb was way better than the book itself. I was interested after reading the blurb, which is why I downloaded it, but *dreams crushed*.

For one thing, all the characters in the book are either annoying or insignificant, without exception. I hated Sarah and her diaries, I was bored of Adam and his POV, the rest of the crew might as well haven't existed at all.

For another, the book was boring altogether. I only read to learn the oh-so-important secret and experienced another *dreams crushed*.
Ian Ellis
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
When Adam asks his girlfriend a particular question, the response he gets is not the one he was expecting. Why Sarah reacted the way she did is a mystery to him, but is hinted at through the excerpts from Sarah's diary, which are interwoven with the story told from Adam's point of view. Natalie Martin expertly uses Sarah's diary to give us her internal thoughts from the present, as well as her past, so by the end we can sympathise and understand her behaviour.

Any men who may be put off because t
Babus Ahmed
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Adam proposes to Sarah in Santorini, he never thought it would lead to the end of their relationship, but Sarah terminates their relationship leaving Adam with the realisation that he really didn't know much about her at all. Sarah has hidden her sister and her past,which is so traumatic for her that she cannot bring herself to talk about it. However, with recent stresses Sarah starts to become unravelled and Adam starts to learn about her past from her old diaries.

A compelling read which
Denise
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Together Apart for me was a great read mainly because of the brilliant and vivid writing which I thoroughly enjoyed from page one. The story-line was intriguing and kept me entertained, some of the story was rather predictable but yet there was quite a bit of suspense throughout.
The characters were easy to identify with, even though their lifestyles were nothing like my own, which again is a good reflection of the writers ability to draw you into the story.
I enjoyed Natalie Martin's style of wri
Lisbeth Davies
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found it hard to accept/forgive the reading of the diaries issue but if you can put that aside, it does make for a good storytelling method from two different points of view and I must admit to worrying about both Adam and Sarah when I didn't have my nose stuck in the book!

This is great stuff for a first novel and I'll definitely be on the lookout for more by Natalie Martin.
Sammy Dawes
I wouldn't say this was my favourite book of all time but it was definitely enjoyable and kept me interested. For me the ending was a little a bit blasé, I think I just wanted something mega to happen! But all in all a great book to add to the list to read
Win
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
excellent book, once you start reading, you can't put it down. You get easily drawn into the characters and even talk back to them. loved the book! Will there be a sequel I wonder??
Samantha Clysdale
May 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
I got this book from Netgalley.

I really dislike the book. I thought it would get better but it didn't. I really didn't like Sarah. I found her robot like.
Carrie Clem
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved

This book was a great read. Definitely a warm tender loving happily ever after kind of book. Definitely a must read.
Janka H.
Adam proposes. Sarah's reaction? Immediate break-up.
As they can't afford to loose the deposit, they stay together in the small flat. And it is pretty awkward.
And what is worse is that Sarah loves Adam, but there is a reason locked in her past that makes her to break their relationship.

Interesting idea, but prolonged play.
I very much like the idea of something from the past, left hidden and unsaid, can influence the present. It might be the reality for the most of us.
And untreated secrets just
Beth
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
When I read the tagline on the cover of the book, "Adam thought he knew everything about Sarah. He was wrong." I could not wait to read this book. However, when I actually sat down and started reading it, I really struggled to get through it. At first it seemed like the action was going to start right away, and to some degree it did. Then all of a sudden there was a giant lull and it seemed as though the majority of the book was just filler. About 3/4 of the way through the book the story seemed ...more
Monica
I did not love this book.

Both Sarah and Adam were very hard to warm to and being in each POV was incredibly frustrating. Whilst there were repeated declarations of love I didn't believe in their relationship, the mystery left more questions unanswered and the whole situation felt unresolved and rather sad.
Jennifer Davidson
Slow but with a few twists

A love story with a few twists. Didn't feel like I got to know team main characters very much. Not an amazing read unfortunately.
Donna Meade
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Great holiday read. Would definitely recommend this book.
Couldn't put it down. Will be looking for more books by this author
Melissa Wheeler
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring predictable

I really did not enjoy this book at all. The main character Sarah has no substance. Nothing to keep me entertained or wanting more.

Glad I've finished it.

• The Girl in the Corner
  • The Twins
  • Little Gray Dress
  • All the Lovely Pieces
  • Has Anyone Seen My Sex Life?
  • Ruth Robinson's Year of Miracles
  • His Secret Family: An absolutely emotional page turner
  • The Secret To Happiness
  • Spring Shoots on Sunflower Stree (Sunflower Street Book 1)
In January 2014, Sheffield-born Natalie Martin decided to leave her corporate job in London and experience the world—heading off on travels that would take her as far as Cambodia, North India, Goa and Thailand, and would change her outlook on life for good. Whilst travelling in India, her debut novel, Together Apart, became a #1 bestseller on Amazon charts. Love You Better is her second full-lengt ...more