Start by marking “The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)

The Autumn Republic

(Powder Mage #3)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  19,778 ratings  ·  1,063 reviews
The capital has fallen...
Field Marshal Tamas returns to his beloved country to find that for the first time in history, the capital city of Adro lies in the hands of a foreign invader. His son is missing, his allies are indistinguishable from his foes, and reinforcements are several weeks away.

An army divided...
With the Kez still bearing down upon them and without clear le
Published February 10th 2015 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Autumn Republic, please sign up.
Victor Ling
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  19,778 ratings  ·  1,063 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Fanfreakingtastic ending to a great trilogy!!
Petrik
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Flintlock fantasy fans
Recommended to Petrik by: Lema
The Autumn Republic is the conclusion to the Powder Mage trilogy, Brian McClellan’s debut series and in my opinion, it ended satisfyingly on a great note while saving more stories for the future trilogy.

I’ll try keep my review for this one as brief as possible to avoid spoilers. The story continued straight after the end of book 2 and it followed the same 4 main POV. Yes, there is no more side POV. Nila, the only female POV of the series finally get the spotlight she deserved.

“I would die for
☽Luna☾
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dan Schwent
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, man-tears
Adro is in foreign hands. Taniel Two-Shot is missing and presumed dead. The war with the Kez continues.

The conclusion of the Powder Mage trilogy has been a long time coming. Not in a geological, George R.R. Martin sort of way but I've been anticipating it since closing The Crimson Campaign. Was it worth it?

Pit, yes! All the seeds Brian McClellan planted in the previous two volumes bore bloody fruit! Who would have thought what an important character Nila the washer-woman would have become in the
Choko
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with my friends @ BB&B, because Flintlock Fantasy is fun!!!

I just finished this last installment of the Powder Mage Trilogy and I am still a bit shell-shocked, so I will only say that the author got better with every new book and from the second book on it is perfectly paced and memorably written. It is a Fantasy homage to the soldier adventures about the British-French Wars as well as the First World War... This will sound a bit corny, but Taniel reminded me a bit o
Haïfa
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The Autumn Republic is the third and last book of the Powder Mage Trilogy and again, it's a brilliant (and equally frustrating) mix of military tactics, fantasy, politics and investigative narrative !

The action began a few days after the closing events of the Crimson Campaign. Some of the main characters found themselves in dire situations, others were beginning new adventures. So to say the least, the book started off with a bang !

“I would die for my country. But I’d rather kill for it. Read
Kaora
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The perfect ending to an incredible series earns my first 5 stars of 2015.

I fell in love with this series immediately, and it quickly became one of my favorites. The Autumn Republic continues what Promise of Blood and The Crimson Campaign starts, with Tamas' dream of Adopest becoming a republic instead of a monarchy. This time a foreign army occupies Adopest the capital, and the Kez army threatens the border.

The world building in this series is amazing. I love the different levels of magic incl
Jody
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Death is a bloody painter and this is his canvas."

I wasn't aware of the term flintlock fantasy until I had finished book 1 of this trilogy. After finishing book 3, I am hooked, and will definitely be looking for more in this genre. My only concern is will anything else live up to the standards Brian McClellan has me expecting of this type of fantasy. The mixture of politics, magic, and military is done extremely well in these books. I felt like I was reading a cross between Brandon Sanderson
Matthew
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, library, fantasy, audio
It would seem like, after looking through other reviews, that my opinion of this book is in the minority. So, if you are reading this and wonder if it really is as blah as I make it seem, you might want to check out other reviews and still give it a shot. Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

When I first started this series I kept waiting for it to click. It came highly recommended and many people insisted that I would not be able to put it down. But, I found myself responding like
TS Chan
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

This series changed my, rightly or wrongly, pre-conceived notions about flintlock fantasy. I thought I might not enjoy it as much as epic or high fantasy, which was why it took me so long to start reading the Powder Mage trilogy, but clearly I was mistaken. And this is a testament to the ability of the author to draw up an interesting story and supplement that with fascinating characters that you feel invested in.

One thing that McClellan's books do not suffer from is poor pacing. Righ
Bradley
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have very few bad things to say about the conclusion to this epic Flintlock Fantasy. There's tons of action, tons of characters to develop and enjoy, and plenty of interesting reveals.

Specifically, however, is how much I've been enjoying Bo and Nila. Don't get me wrong, I'm head over heels for Taniel's storyline and enjoyed it from start to finish, but Bo's understatements and Nila's growing power from a washerwoman into a firestorm was easily my favorite bit.

The Adamant storyline felt like a
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
And so all good things come to an end. And what a satisfying conclusion!

Here is the short and sweet - If you have read end enjoyed the first two entries in this series, then you will love this, the last. It is better in every way.

I am really going to miss the characters and the amazing world that the author imagined. A special mention must also be made for the wonderful magic systems created. I like to think, that the author, as a student of Brandon Sanderson, has definitely picked up some valua
Solseit
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. Great series, great characters, great story.
For a moment I was tempted to give 4.5 stars but this series was my obsession, I could not put it down, I would read rather than sleep so highest marks!
Bookwraiths
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Brian McClellan fans! Powder mage lovers–
And everyone else here who is searching for the next great fantasy series to read:
Today, today, you must fall to your knees in thanksgiving.
Bow your head in joyful celebration.
For I have the pride, the privilege, nay, the pleasure
Of announcing before all my fellow bibliophiles that The Autumn Republic is splendid.
Nay, far more than that: spectacular.
A finale which amazes, excites, and, more importantly, leaves nary a dan
Samir
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 4.5 stars.

The first two books of this trilogy have been a revelation. They have broadened my fantasy horizons and made me fell in love in flintlock fantasy, something I’ve never thought would happen.

Carried forward by the momentum of the aforementioned books I was looking forward to reading this final installment. I’m glad to say that my eagerness was justified.

The story continues right after the myriad of amazing battle sequences from The Crimson Campaign. Our heroes are presente
Chris
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was brilliant. Not just this book, but the whole trilogy. I had a great time getting to know these characters and understand the world and magic system behind them. It was refreshing to have a base trilogy to go with, rather than an unending epic. It was also a plus that all three books came out within a year or two of each other. That doesn't always happen...

Yes, there is a new series that just got started in this world, as well as a bunch of prequel novellas. That's fine. I look forward t
Rob
Executive Summary: A highly satisfactory conclusion to a highly enjoyable series. Easily the best one yet.

Full Review
12 likes and I hadn't even written a word of my review yet, talk about pressure!

I was hovering back and forth between 4 and 5 on this one. I think if I could give it a 4.5 star rating I might. However, the end had me so wrapped up in it, and I enjoyed this book/series so much that I rounded up for a change, something I almost never do.

The reality is I don't have any complaints
Mr. Matt
Mar 19, 2014 rated it liked it
The cannons are silent across Adro. The pall of gunsmoke and spent powder are gone, as are the armies of Kez, the old royalist order, and the corrupt machinations of a mad God. And I kinda sorta don't care, which is very, very sad.

Maybe it was because I had really looked forward to this book. The first two books in the Powder Mage series were off the charts for me. I couldn't wait to see how it all came to a close; however, on reflection I don't think it was anticipation. For me it was the lack
Petros Triantafyllou
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Meh...
I don't know, it wasn't the epic conclusion i was expecting.
Sure, it followed in the tracks of the previous two books, but nothing special about it. The whole story could and should fit in 2 books and not 3.
Two positive things from this book. Firstly, Adamat's POVs suddenly got more interesting. Secondly, we have a nice grim finale and not a fricking happy ending. Thank God.

You can find more of my reviews over at http://BookNest.eu/
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/03/21/5...

The end of the Powder Mage trilogy has finally arrived with The Autumn Republic. I really enjoyed the first two novels, and was very much looking forward to this concluding volume. So did it meet my expectations? All told I’m happy to say that it did, in all the ways that count. Still, I confess I can be quite particular about my series-enders. As much as enjoyed this book, if I’m to be completely honest, I did feel ther
Conor
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

The Autumn Republic was an engaging and brilliantly paced ending to a very enjoyable fantasy series. While this wasn't ground-breaking, it was very readable and enjoyable and with it McClellan has once again shown his ability to improve with each major publication. Combined with his high level of productivity (for more on this check out his bazillion (that's only a rough estimate, don't have the time to fact-check) short stories) this makes McClellan undoubtedly one of the most promisi
Michael Britt
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.25 stars. But this is a pretty good 3.25

Ok, I'm gonna keep this short because work has me exhausted. I liked this one more than the first book, but not nearly as much as book 2.

I loved each of the characters, but one of the characters basically getting super powers out of no where was a bit dumb. I liked the character and that character's chapters, but it took away from the story for me. The ending felt really rushed and underwhelming, too.

But I still loved the magic system, t
Phee
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
A fantastic way to end 2017, and an absolute corker of a finale.

This wasn’t quite as good as Crimson Campaign but it was one hell of a satisfying ending to a series and world that I have fallen utterly in love with.
Obviously being the last book in the trilogy, I can’t discuss any of the plot without spoiling things so I won’t do that. Just know that the action, the pace and stakes were even higher in this one. So much has happened since Tamas started his coup at the beginning of Promise of Blo
Scott  Hitchcock
Great series and I'm looking forward to the next one starting in the same world. There were some issues I had with the series in terms of why a character would do a certain thing but overall again it was great. Unusual in that the middle book was the best of the series IMO. Books one & three were 4.5* and book two a 5*.
Matthew
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The capital has fallen...

An army divided...

With the Kez still bearing down upon them and without clear leadership, the Adran army has turned against itself. Inspector Adamat is drawn into the very heart of this new mutiny with pro
Liam Degnan
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

By far the best of the trilogy, and we FINALLY got a great climax with a satisfying conclusion. Several questions still left unanswered though, and I have one or two complaints about the story as a whole.

These books were really, really good. Not incredible, not mind blowing (for me anyways). But honestly, just straight up good books are very hard to come by nowadays. What makes reading these books even more satisfying to read is that they get progressively better as you go. I can conf
Anthony K
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sneaky Sneaky Taniel!

This book ended fantastically. I wish I had more time to write better reviews, but I have been spending all my free time plowing through books. lol.
Jesper
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic ending to an amazing trilogy! Extremely fastpaced and very exciting, I'm in need of more powder!!
Terence
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
The Autumn Republic starts shortly after the end of The Crimson Campaign. Field Marshall Tamas has returned to Adro to find Brudanian Forces under the command of Lord Claremonte have taken control of the city.

The war with the Kez continues on, but Adro's forces are divided.

Taniel and Ka-poel are in hiding all the while being hunted by brigades of his treacherous country men.

The Autumn Republic is a great yet at times sad conclusion to the Powder Mage trilogy. All the familiar elements of the ser
Milda Page Runner
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-fantasy
3.5*

Didn't hook me in quite as much as the previous books did. I felt pacing was a bit lacking, Adamat's Pov had some really slow moments. Nila's story was interesting, but her transformation was a bit too quick and convenient for me to swallow. Ka-Poel didn't get any character building at all, no explanation about her origins or powers, and I was waiting for it from the book#1 - so that was disappointing.

Overall positive ending. Too neat and predictable for me, but wraps up everything nicely.

I

• The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • By Dark Deeds (Blade and Rose, #2)
  • The Dread Wyrm (The Traitor Son Cycle, #3)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • Soulbound (Dark Arts, #3)
  • The White Song (Chronicles of the Black Gate #5)
  • The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin, #4)
  • Saint's Blood (Greatcoats, #3)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • The Scarlet Tides (Moontide Quartet, #2)
  • Tower Lord (Raven's Shadow, #2)
  • The Liar's Key (The Red Queen's War, #2)
Brian McClellan is an American epic fantasy author from Cleveland, Ohio. He is known for his acclaimed Powder Mage Universe and essays on the life and business of being a writer.

Brian now lives on the side of a mountain in Utah with his wife, Michele, where he writes books and nurses a crippling video game addiction.

Brian's novels include the Powder Mage Trilogy (Promise of Blood, The Crimson Camp

Powder Mage (3 books)
  • Promise of Blood (Powder Mage, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
“I would die for my country. But I’d rather kill for it. Ready your troops. We march!” 25 likes
“And there, among the ruined splendor of Skyline Palace, Adamat saw a god weep for the hero of Adro.” 6 likes