Start by marking “Asimov's Science Fiction, April/May 2014” as Want to Read:

"The Talking Cure" by K. J. Zimring
"Dolore
Kindle Edition, Asimov's Science Fiction, #459-460, 196 pages
Published April 1st 2014 by Dell Magazines

To ask other readers questions about Asimov's Science Fiction, April/May 2014, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asimov's Science Fiction, April/May 2014

Start your review of Asimov's Science Fiction, April/May 2014
Kam Yung Soh
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
An average issue, with a few more interesting stories by William Preston, Fran Wilde, Michael Swanwick and Matthew Johnson.

- "Each in His Prison, Thinking of the Key" by William Preston: another story in Preston's "The Old Man" series. This one is of an unusual interrogator who, in flashbacks, tells the story of how he interacted with The Old Man while he was a prisoner, and his attempts to get in touch with him now during a period of unusual disasters all around the US.

- "Scout" by Will McIntos
Daniel
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't consider any of the stories to be duds in this issue, though a few were average without making any significant impression. "Rules of Engagement" surprised me in that I typically do not care much for stories involving military themes or issues, but I guess this story's connection to larger issues and ones of immediate relevance like drones and foreseeable technology had me hooked - not to mention the writing. Swanwick's "Of Finest Scarlet Was Her Gown" was enjoyable despite being extreme ...more
G33z3r
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, periodical
I especially enjoyed the featured novella, "Each in His Prison, Thinking of the Key," sort of a takeoff on Doc Savage, Man of Bronze, updated for the 21st century.

My enjoyment of "Rules of Engagement" was slightly spoiled by my general dislike of stories about unlikable people, though I did find it an interesting story.

"Someday" seemed a little slow, but redeemed itself with and intriguing ending. "Scout" and "Like a Wasp to the Tongue" were okay.

"Slowly Upward, the Coelacanth", "The Talking Cur
Nathan
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Frankly, I feel the double issues are a bit too much all at once. Maybe next time I'll read it in two halves.
The stories this time around weren't the best, I think. Neither novella was that great, and the first (Each In His Prison, Thinking Of The Key) was part of a series that, if you haven't read the earlier ones, makes you feel like you're missing something.
A few of the short stories were quite good though, especially The Talking Cure and Of Finest Scarlet Was Her Gown.
Denise Barney
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
The stories were well-written, but the tone if the issue overall was very somber, even dark at times. Little science, a lot of internal musing & discovery. My favorites were "The talking Cure," where an old man reconcikes two contradictory fhildhood memories and "The Principles," an alternate history novelette, Coming-of-Age story. The poetry, hiwever, was outstanding! ...more
Eric Fritz
Slowly Upward, the Coelacanth and Of Finest Scarlet Was Her Gown were my favorites from this issue (although the later was more fantasy than Sci Fi.) There were a few mediocre stories at the end that didn't seem to have any Sci Fi element at all.
Stephen Sipila
Feb 28, 2014
George Heintzelman
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Pretty solid overall but I didn't like the Prestin novella.
Scott Klobas
Jul 21, 2016
Eleanor
Jan 06, 2015
Fran
Feb 21, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Besha
marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Ardi
Dec 22, 2014

Sheila Williams is the editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine. She is also the recipient of the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Editor, Short Form.

Sheila grew up in a family of five in western Massachusetts. Her mother had a master's degree in microbiology. Ms. Williams’ inte