Start by marking “Black Science, Vol. 1: How to Fall Forever” as Want to Read:
Black Science, Vol. 1: How to Fall Forever

Black Science, Vol. 1: How to Fall Forever

(Black Science #1)

Anarchist scientist Grant McKay has done the impossible! Using the Pillar, he has punched a hole through the barriers between dimensions, allowing travel to all possible universes. But now Grant and his team are trapped in the folds of infinity, the Pillar sending them careening through a million universes of unimaginable adventure, sanity-flaying danger and no way home... ...more
Paperback, Collects issues #1-6, 152 pages
Published May 28th 2014 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Black Science, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Science, Vol. 1

Patrick
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it

This comic has a lot to love in it. Good action. Dynamic story. Cool concept. Dimention-hopping peril...

That said, this comic is a slow start for me because, ironically enough, they tried to start it fast. There's a lot of running around and jumping and moving through dangerous territory before I knew anything about the characters (let alone formed an emotional attachment) or understood the situation they were in.

The result was... well... kind of a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

That s
Anne
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Sliders
My kid made me read it.
I say that because this isn't my sort of thing. And by that I mean, a whole group of unlikable people, doing unlikable things...in a sci-fi setting.
Will anyone emerge unscathed?!
Eh. I don't know.

description

My kid, and a lot of my friends here on Goodreads, thought this was the best thing since sliced bread. <--which is really quite a convenience when you think about it. I mean, can you imagine how annoying it would be to literally slice off every piece of bread you need to make a
Jeff
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
My son has one sure fire way of getting me to watch an anime series/play a game/read something – he’ll say, “Dad, you need to check this out; the characters don’t have any plot armor.” This means anything can happen to anyone. Anyone.

A machine has been created to allow people to visit alternate realities. It’s hoped that technological or medical breakthroughs can be found by exploring these different worlds. The series opens with characters on the run in a frog/fish world with Rick Remender effe
Jan Philipzig
Like his earlier Fear Agent, Remender's Black Science is a pulpy and fast-paced sci-fi adventure infused with war, western, and horror elements. Also like Fear Agent, it revolves around a flawed male protagonist trying to redeem himself by overcoming alien threats and reuniting with his estranged family. The personal drama of Black Science is far too formulaic to be engaging, though, and the book is thus ultimately all about watching our "dimensionauts" leap from one bizarre and nightmarish alie ...more
Miriam
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
You know that old tv show, "Lost in Space"? Well, this is like "Assholes in (interdimensional) Space," only no robot and the kids aren't perky.

It's also like the tv series "Sliders," only with assholes more drastic differences between the realities, so that some don't even have humans.

So I ought to be the target demographic because I like space and alternate dimensions and graphic novels, but everything I liked about this book has been done better elsewhere.

It was ok, though. I'm glad I finis
Dan Schwent
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, 2018-comics
Grant McKay and his Anarchist League of Scientists build a device called The Pillar and punched a hole into another universe, only to have a saboteur strike and damage the machine. Will they ever find their way back home?

Black Science is a Stargate/Sliders/Land of the Lost kind of comic. While that sounds great, I was fairly disappointed.

All the winning ingredients are here, concept-wise. Too bad none of the characters are anything special. I also didn't care for the art very much. I liked the c
Forrest
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
There really is no accounting for taste. This interdimensional scifi romp should have hit my sweet spot.

Alas, it got my attention, then disappointed.

All the gewgaws are there: intriguing aliens, other dimensions, laser pistols, all the stuff. The premise was promising, as well: Anarchic scientists travel through other dimensions and get lost in the midst of a million possible realities.

But the characters were awful. Rememder seems bent on showing us the worst of his characters, with very little
Sam Quixote
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was really, really surprised to find that Black Science was actually a pretty good comic because I’ve read Rick Remender’s Marvel stuff like Uncanny Avengers and Captain America and HAAAAATED them so much. Well, it seems his comics outside Marvel are the place to read good Remender!

But I’ll qualify that statement: I haven’t read any of his other Image comics (yet) so this might be a one-off, and Black Science is good in that it’s a brainless and very obvious – but entertaining – action/advent
Chad
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I hate Remender's Marvel work but this book is the bomb. Intriguing story, great flawed characters. Matteo Scalero's art is pretty good but it's Dean White's painted art over it that really makes the pages sing. It's like getting 20 pages of old painted Sci-Fi book covers in each issue. You can't go wrong picking up this book.
Sesana
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think this is the best thing that I've ever read by Remender. The science fiction trappings interested me, and much as I love superhero books, I'm always interested to see what the cape-free comics have to offer. The concept does, I think, owe something to the Fantastic Four, but it isn't a copy by any means. It seems like Remender looked at the sometimes dysfunctional relationship Reed Richards has to the rest of his family and turned it up a few notches. It's the relationships between the ch ...more
Cheese
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
The problem I find with Rick Remenders is that when he's going backwards and forwards in time through a story he doesn't tell you. He lets the artwork and script do the talk instead of saying "10 days ago..." Or "now" and I end up playing catch up trying to understand, which did happen a little in this. It makes it difficult to follow the story and figure out who is who when you're just flung into the story hitting the ground running!

All that aside, by the end of this volume I was hooked. It's
Evgeny
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Evgeny by: Steve
Shelves: comics
First I need to mention I received this book from Goodreads giveaway. It also happened to be one of the best one I received from any kind of giveaways, but I am getting ahead of myself.

Grant McKay, a genius scientist and the founder of The Anarchistic Order of Scientists which aim was to put science above all restrictions (political, bureaucratic, ethical, etc.) made a scientific breakthrough with resulted in creation of The Pillar: a device in form of a... well.. pillar which enables to travel
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Dave's Quick Judgement -

THE DEFENSE
- Traveling through multiple alternate realities is a lot of fun.
- Very fast paced and imaginative.
- Main storyline is incredibly compelling.

THE PROSECUTION
- The characters are mostly one-dimensional.
- Bland dialogue at times. (When will graphic-novel authors figure out that just inserting the f-word into conversations doesn't make it any more compelling or mature???)

THE VERDICT
Even though the players are never quite as interesting as the events sur
MLE
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dark, and strange story about imperfect people trying to do their best despite the odds. Grant McKay is not a good person, but, at the same time, he isn't a cartoon villain. He makes mistakes, so many mistakes, but he doesn't really blame anybody else for them either. The plot is fast paced, and interesting, and I liked that I felt dropped in the middle, and gradually had the situation explained to me. It saved a lot of information dumping, or awkward exposition. The twists were nicely done, and ...more
Donovan
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Space geeks/sci-fi nerds
Science fiction, adventure, drama, and while at first fun it manages to spiral into meandering chaos volumes later. What begins as an exciting premise attempting to supersede Remender’s earlier work Fear Agent (it doesn’t), the characters remain blockbuster archetypes in an aimless narrative, too many characters crowd the scene, and chaos itself becomes a cobbled theme to hold together what’s clearly falling apart. The great illustrations unfortunately can’t hold up this mess of a story. If you’ ...more
Steve
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was an INCREDIBLE read! I've never read anything by Rick Remender, but apparently he's well-known for his work on The Punisher, Fear Agent, and Uncanny X-Force. This is definitely one author that I will be following in the future.

The artwork by Matteo Scalera was very good, too, very crisp coloring and shading with black being used in a way to actually highlight the action.

The action is definitely what drives this story, w
Jesse A
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Slight upgrade in my rating. Still not in love with this. Just a bit more convoluted than necessary. I'll push on though.
Gavin
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
OK, it really seems like every time I pick up a Rick Remender book, I end up raving about how much I love it. This is not a surprise, he's really one of my favourites, and this book might push him up there beside Brubaker, and just shove Aaron to the side.

If I had to describe this to someone in one blurb? "Fear Agent meets Lost in Space crossed with Sliders and a dash of Angry Doctor Who"

Grant McKay has spent 10 years developing the Pillar, a device for travelling through the eververse (which is
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Started out weird but by the end...whooooa!!!!
11811 (Eleven)
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Crazy story but I liked it more as it progressed. I didn't think it was good enough to move on to volume 2 but by the end I may have changed my mind. 4+ for the artwork. It was worth buying just for that.

I love the $5 price point. I'd read so many more graphic novels if they were all in that range. They go by so fast.
'kris Pung
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was a hell of a lot of fun to read and and the art was pretty stellar too. I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys quirky, pulpish, sci-fi comics.
M. Ihsan Tatari
Eh… ilginçti. Güzel bir konusu ve ilginç bir konsepti var. Aslında daha önce işlenmemiş bir şey değil. Boyutlar arasında kaybolan bir bilim insanı grubunun ve iki çocuğun başından geçenleri konu alıyor. Ama bu çizgi romandaki herkes oldukça gerçekçi. Gerçekçiden kastım hepsinin boğazına kadar kötü huylara batmış olması. Karısını aldatanlar, birbirlerinin kuyusunu kazanlar, diğerlerine yardım etmektense kendini kurtarmayı tercih edenler…

Kendilerine “Boyutonotlar” diyen bu grup “Sütun” adlı bir k
Jedi JC Daquis
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Black Science is Rick Remender's own little sandbox as he gets his flawed characters travel into different realities of parallel universes, or what they call it as The Onion.

Black Science's story unfolds randomly (you'd know why by reading the material) and each world they visit are utterly different from ours and from one another. It is always a thrill to see what world they have jumped into and the amount of time they have to spend in that place oftentimes keeps me at the edge of my seat.

This
Caroline
MEH. I was super excited for this comic and it ended up just bring meh. I liked the story, don't get me wrong, but it was just kind of boring. I really liked the concept; being trapped hopping between dimensions and trying to get home. The art style was okay. I thought a lot of the characters were drawn to look TOO similar and there was no proper introduction so I was mostly unable to tell the difference between them.

I enjoyed it but the plot jumped around too much for my liking. They are in on
Miguel
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image
Didn't felt this one i don't know why... maybe its not "my thing"... maybe was not in the mood, dunno. Tho its a good book.
Marco Simeoni
Mondi dentro altri mondi senza un attimo di respiro
4,5*

A volte il buon successo di una torta va oltre alla semplice sommatoria degli ingredienti. Nel primo numero di Black Science invece, l'amalgama perfetta di colori eccessivi, disegni e linguaggi che non sprecano neanche uno spazio, mi hanno spinto a credere a questo fumetto e alla sua storia.
Non c'è tempo per capire dove si trovino i nostri protagonisti,(mi ha ricordato i mondi su Hyperion di Simmons.) si viene subito gettati nella mischia co
Roy
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Being new to graphic novels I dont have much to compare this to. The first 1/3 of this Volume was a little confusing/disjointed, and it was a little hard to figure out characters and what was happening with the plot. As it developed it improved dramatically however it didnt seem to exciting highs. It was alot more serious than I was expecting with this noir type scifi that I havent come across before. Will defintely give Vol 2 a go.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
3.5 stars. Action packed, literally hits the ground running, but makes for confusing character introductions. I liked the art quite a bit too!
Kayıp Rıhtım
Image Comics’ten çıkan Kara Bilim (Black Science) süper kahramanları değil, halis muhlis bilimkurguyu işleyerek akranlarının arasından sıyrılan çizgi romanlardan biri.

Kara Bilim konuya kelimenin tam anlamıyla bodoslama bir giriş yaparak bizleri yabancı bir dünyada bilinmeyen bir tehlikeden kaçan, tuhaf giysiler içindeki iki bilim insanıyla baş başa bırakıyor. Birkaç sayfa sonra karakterlerden birinin Grant McKay adında bir bilim adamı olduğunu öğreniyoruz. Kendisi Anarşist Bilim İnsanları denen
Frank
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-omnibus
It took a bit to get started, as I felt that the story was a bit disjointed with its' flashbacks, but once the second part started you got a feel for the story. It will be interesting to see where this one takes us. I will wait for the OHC to be released before reading part two.
  • East of West, Vol. 2: We Are All One
  • Lazarus, Vol. 3: Conclave
  • Southern Bastards, Vol. 1: Here Was a Man
  • Southern Cross, Vol. 1
  • Copperhead, Vol. 1: A New Sheriff in Town
Rick Remender is an American comic book writer and artist who resides in Los Angeles, California. He is the writer/co-creator of many independent comic books like Black Science, Deadly Class, LOW, Fear Agent and Seven to Eternity. Previously, he wrote The Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, Captain America and Uncanny Avengers for Marvel Comics.

Black Science (9 books)