Start by marking “Summer Demons (Seasons of Change, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer Demons (Seasons of Change, #1)

Summer Demons

(Seasons of Change #1)

Jenna Shaw ran away to escape her past. In fact, she jumped on a plane and flew to Portugal to try and forget it. However, it turns out leaving everything behind isn’t as easy as it sounds.

She thought she could move on and break free of her fears—that if she had some space the pain would stop. But as memories resurface due to an ill-timed joke, the past crashes into her p
Published February 26th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Summer Demons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Demons

Start your review of Summer Demons (Seasons of Change, #1)
Ottilie
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
No one really knows another person's story. Jenna has a history that causes her to be afraid of water because it not only forces her to remember the lose of a love one, but also guilt. Jenna is on a holiday with her friend Amy who will do anything to cheer her friend's low spirits after the tragedy of Jenna's boyfriend dying. Yet, fate has another thing in mind for her, that includes a knee melting grin.

This was the first Mia Hoddell book that I have read, and I'm sure there will be more in t
Sharon Stevenson
'Summer Demons' is a young adult summer romance novella about a teenager who is struggling to get over a traumatic incident she blames herself for; she certainly isn't looking for a summer fling. However, she catches the attention of a guy who is determined to make her give him a chance and the story develops from there. I will admit romance is not my favourite genre but having read Hoddell's paranormal series and thoroughly enjoying it I decided to give this a try and I wasn't disappointed. It ...more
M.H. Soars
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autor-coop
Summer Demons was the first work I read by Mia Hoddell and it certainly won't be the last. It's a YA contemporary novella and exactly what I was looking for. I read it in one sitting last night and it kept me wanting more.

I can't wait to read her other work. There is a sneak peek of her Elemental Killers series at the end of Summer Demons which prompt me to get the book.

I highly recommend Summer Demons to anyone looking for a laid back and enjoyable read.
Abbie
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started out okay, but as the story progressed, I lost interest. Once it was revealed what actually happened to the main character, It went downhill, as nothing happened.

The main character was alright, and I did feel sorry for her because of the guilt she carried for the part she played on that day, but I didn't love her.

Overall, Not awful, but I'm glad it wasn't too long.
R.
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hope there is more!

I already like this author's style. This seems like it will make for an interesting series of books. It was a quick read but seems to lead into more to come.
Louise Nicks
4.5 stars!

Overview:
Summer Demons is a sweetly written novella with good imagery and introspection, believable emotions, and an engaging plot.

Main review:
Guilt can be debilitating. For some people, it can take on such tremendous force that it manifests itself in illness and even hallucinations.

Jenna Shaw's guilt is cut from that same cloth, and her guilt comes in a stomach churning shade of crimson. Luckily for us, Jenna's guilt - however harrowing - is unfounded. You see, she blames herself fo
Briana Pacheco
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
**Complimentary copy provided by the author/publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**
I enjoyed reading Summer Demons and getting to know Jenna's story. After witnessing her boyfriend die after a dare gone wrong, she's after to get into the water where she'll end up having panic attacks. She takes a vacation by going to Portugal (she's from London) and ends up meeting an annoying guy, Ethan, who doesn't get a clue and leave her alone.

Jenna's friend, Amy, was likable. She
Kelly
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Jenna has just lost her boyfriend. She blames herself for his death. He jumped off a cliff that Jenna egged him on to jump from. Except he didn’t make it and Jenna was also there to find him in the water and she froze when she saw his broken body and now doesn’t do well with water. So her friend takes her away to help her try to move on. Jenna isn’t moving on well at all. She is in the pool and some guy trying to vie for her attention turns over her float in the pool. Jenna’s friend jumps in to ...more
Kit Masters
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is definitely not something that I would usually read, as the genre teen romance is not something I am interested in.
I was however very interested to try Mia's crossover from her usual genre of paranormal fiction, (I would be even less likely to read this genre!)

I appreciate the experiment hugely, to try a novella in a new style, to try to diversify her writing.
I was very pleased to find an eminently competent writer who can carry both narrative and theme very well, and even keep a genre-sc
Carla
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just read this in one sitting today. I couldn't put it down, I needed to know how Jenna's story developed, and it was very satisfying. It's such a short read but quite intense and captivating!
I didn't expect to enjoy it this much since I don't usually love stories told in the third person, but this one is well-written and everything is as clear as it would be with a first person narrator, which was a very pleasant surprise!
I can't wait to read more of this author's books! :)
Vicki Carlson
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novella, 2014, kindle-free
This was the perfect, quick read I was after to distract me for a few hours while I relaxed. After enjoying the author's other books, I was delighted to see I could get this for free and loved it just as much. It was short, sweet and it put a smile on my face on a gloomy, rainy day. I liked the characters and the relationship and I love the cover. ...more
Lauren
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this, it's a must read!! It was short and sweet and kept me hooked till the end. And the front cover is just beautifully done. ...more
Suzie Daniels
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great, easy read. I can imagine it would be a good one to take on holiday or read in the sun.
Isis Ray-sisco
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley-books
I received this book from Netgalley for my honest review. This in on way affects my opinion on the book.

Summer Demons by Mia Hoddell is a great summer read. Summer of Demons is a YA romance that is quick and easy to read. I enjoyed reading it. Summer Demons is a standalone in the A Season of Change series. It was the first book by this author that I have read and I look forward to reading more books by this author. Summer Demons was engaging and full of characters that you can easy care about.
Elen Tabita Bertoldi
Review also in my blog, help me out a little: http://licareads.blogspot.com/2015/03...

Summer demons is a novella with a light romance and also about forgiving yourself and facing your fears.
Jenna is a young lady haunted about a tragedy that she feels responsible for, even though her best friend, Amy and everyone else keep saying that it wasn't anyone's fault. Jenna and Amy take off to Portugal to have a vacation and leave everything else behind. And that's where the book really begins.
Jenna
Alyssia
ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. You can also find this and check out my blog here.

I didn't realize that this book was actually a novella. Once I began to get into the reading flow and really get into the story, it was already over! Summer Demons was a very quick read and I found myself wanting more once I finished it.

This read focuses on two young protagonists, Jenna and Ethan, who meet while on vacation in Portugal. Ethan is all lust when his eyes are set on Jenna but when
Mehsi
Received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

First the good things:
1. The summery feeling, I love it. Especially with my country's weather being warm, then cold and wet, then warm, then back to cold and wet, I could use a summer book with beaches, nice boys and sun. :)
2. The romance, it was quite believable, instead of instant love, it took some time for them to warm up and get to dating. I was already slightly worried, especially with Jenna's past thing, that they might ju
Bailey Riddle
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for a review. All opinions below are completely mine.

While I'm not usually a fan of short novellas, I was intrigued by Summer Demons' description and occasionally I am a sucker for a romance novel. Also, and this might be terrible of me, the book has a really pretty cover. Hey, I'm only human, right?

Anyways, after a bit of a slow start, this book really picked up for me. I found myself intrigued by Ethan's persistence in trying to woo Jenna, despit
Ginger
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews

Jenna Shaw is suffered a horrible tragedy, every time she closes her eyes she sees the scene replay in her head. Being near water makes it worse, almost unbearable. She thought that a vacation would help, give her a break from the guilt she feels. However her plans of sun bathing and reading by the beach are interrupted by the handsome, charismatic Ethan Brooks.

Jenna wants nothing to do with Ethan, she came to the resort to heal and forget, not to jump head first into another relationship.

Etha
Kirsty Bicknell
Mia Hoddell's new novella series focuses on romances forged in each season of the year. Summer Demon's is Jenna's story, who escapes to Portugal on holiday, four months after her boyfriend's sudden death.
Jenna's grief is immediately tangible as she relives the accident at the beginning of the novella. Her fear and overwhelming emotions become something shared, as Jenna and the reader simultaneously attempt to come to terms with the events she witnessed.
Not understanding the situation, Ethan acts
Sara Burr
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, young-adult
After her life is torn apart by the tragic death of her boyfriend, Jenna Shaw finds herself equally consumed by guilt and despair. In an attempt to pick up the pieces of her shattered life, she escapes from England to Portugal with her friend, Amy, for a much-needed vacation. While there, Jenna meets Ethan Brooks, who is immediately infatuated with her. Ethan is charismatic, charming, and a true ladies’ man. But can he fix Jenna’s broken spirit?

This is the second book I have read by Mia Hoddell
Katrina Marie
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review
I really enjoyed Summer Demons, and devoured it in a little amount of time.  It's a perfect, short read that gives you a little bit of romance, heart ache, and hope.

There are dark events that plague Jenna, and it's hard for her to get past them.  She tries, and I think that definitely shows a lot about her personality.  She also holds guilt that isn't hers to bear.  I adored Ethan.  He comes off as cocky at first, but you can definitely tell he has a soft side to him.

I think the prog
Jeraca
I received this free eARC in exchange for my honest review.

Interesting story. I enjoyed it for the most part but there were times that I just rolled my eyes. I wasn't able to connect with Jenna. Yes, I felt bad about what happened, but she seemed mighty fine when she was in Ethan's arms. It just seemed like she was acting through a lot of her problems and was almost playing hard to get.

It's been a long time since I read the viewpoint that Mia Hoddell used where she would interchange whose thou
Caroline
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
This novella is absolutely perfect for beach or holiday reading, you can easily sit back, relax and read the whole story in one go.
It focuses on Jenna whose boyfriend died 4 months earlier and she blames herself for this even though it wasn't her fault. She goes on holiday with her friend Amy where she meets Ethan, can she learn to forgive herself and find love again or will she always be haunted by the past?
I enjoyed Mia's writing although one little niggle I had was the POV switched betwe
Candi-
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Wow, I just started this book today and I was hooked from page one! Summer Demons was a quick and easy read for me and I loved it. Its a standalone book in the Season of Change series. Its the first book I have read by this author but it def won't be my last!

Its been 4 months since the death of her boyfriend and Jenna blames herself for what happened. Her friend Amy decides to take her on a trip to Portugal to take her mind off things which is where she meets Ethan. From the moment he lays eyes
Madison Vessels
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I really liked this book. It isn't my typical read or what I would even attempt to read usually and yet I found myself not able to put the book down. It was easy to read and definitely held enough intrigue to keep me going. I liked the main character and how strong the author made her. That being said, I didnt really like her love interest. There was nothing really wrong with him, its just that it all seemed to unreal.

The writing flowed well and kept me reading. Overall I liked the book and wil
Kristin  Reads
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenna has suffered a loss most people can't even imagine going thru. It's been four months and she fells the guilt in everything she does, she fells she is the only one to blame for what happened. Amy her friend takes her on a trip to Portugal to break her out of her misery. Will Ethan a beautiful, charming, with a body to die for help her shed this guilt.

I really enjoyed this book, great quick read. I wish I had more answers about their story....but I guess I'll hAve to look for book #2! I def
Moon Love
3.5 stars!

I love the cover. It's colorful and and slightly haunting, meaning it matches its title, a little. Of course there is nothing eerie or creepy about the story at all. I know it's a novella, however I felt like this concept would have been much better as a full length novel. As it is, the whole story felt rushed. I was initially sympathetic to Jenna, but then felt like she and Ethan took things a little too fast. I also didn't feel like there was a complete resolution and things were le
P.S. Winn
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jenna's boyfriend Zac died horribly and she blames herself. On vacation with her friend Amy to try and get rid of the demons that make her feel guilty Jenna meets Ethan and the adventure and the trip back from her guilt begin. This was a good read and I believe young adults will enjoy reading about people their own age and see that we all have similar stories of putting past baggage behind us so we can move on and enjoy our lives. ...more
Megan
This was okay, but there wasn't much to the story and for a lot of it I was bored. Jenna wasn't that interesting of a main character and I didn't really connect with her. I did feel bad that something so terrible happen like that, but it seemed strange that her best friend was pushing her to get over it so soon (only 4 months - seemed very short to me). Not the greatest book, but it was an okay read to pass the time. ...more
International bestselling author, Mia Hoddell, lives in the UK with her family and two cats. She spends most of her time writing or reading, loves anything romantic, and has an overactive imagination that keeps her up until the early hours of the morning.

Mia has written over ten titles including her Seasons of Change series, the Chequered Flag series, the Elemental Killers series, and her standal

Seasons of Change (4 books)
  • Winter Angel (Seasons of Change, #2)
  • Autumn Ghosts (Seasons of Change, #3)
  • Spring Knight (Seasons of Change, #4)