Start by marking “The Seventh Moon” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Moon

The Seventh Moon

From the international bestselling author of THE MASK OF TIME and THE SEVENTH MOON.

From the international bestselling author of THE MASK OF TIME and THE ORIGINAL SIN.

As World War II rages, Francine Lawrence and her small daughter, Ruth, wait in the fading splendor of Raffles Hotel in Singapore for Francine's British husband. But when he is delayed, Francine, half-Chinese
Published January 14th 2014 by Thistle Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seventh Moon

Start your review of The Seventh Moon
Pearson Moore
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Title: The Seventh Moon
Author: Marius Gabriel
Genre: Mainstream Fiction
Length: 135,000 words (estimated)
Reviewer: Pearson Moore
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Summary

Francine Lawrence, a woman straddling two cultures and races, is forced to give up her daugther Ruth in war-torn Borneo in early 1942. She and her lover, Clive Napier, spend the next 25 years following every clue in an attempt to find Ruth. But the deprivations and dangers of war force difficult, often unthinkable choices. The world-changing
Reader
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A WELL CRAFTED STORY

To be honest this is not my usual sort of read, but I was gifted a copy by the authors representative in exchange for a review. The story itself spans more than thirty decades, beginning in WWII and the Japanese invasion of Singapore. Francine Lawrence is a Eurasian woman married to an Englishman, a mining engineer. As the threat from the Japanese increases he sends her away with their young daughter Ruth to the famous Raffles hotel, with the promise to join them soon. As
Lori Tatar
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Goodreads I had a chance to read The Seventh Moon by Marius Gabriel. It is a vivid portrait of a family torn apart by war and how they survived. Gabriel does a great job developing the characters. I especially liked that while the men are plenty strong, the book really focuses on two female leads. It is a terrific story of hardship and second chances and is not a good read but a great read.
Gloria
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Gloria by: Goodreads-First Reads
Shelves: first-reads
I was fortunate to receive a copy of ‘The Seventh Moon’ via Goodreads – ‘First reads’ and the author Marius Gabriel.

Singapore 1942 – The Japanese are attacking. Francine with her daughter Ruth go to stay at the Raffles Hotel waiting for her English husband to arrive. They had left their village for the safety of Singapore – her husband stayed behind to ‘settle up’ the business.
Francine is Eurasian and not truly accepted by ‘the English’ who are prejudiced and bigoted.
As the situation in
Julia
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another superb tale by Marius Gabriel. Having enjoyed The Original Sin, I was interested in sampling more of his work. Upon initially reading the cover flap, I wasn't sure if I could get into this story of Francine, a woman who survives WWII experiences in southeast Asia but tragically loses her young daughter. I don't have any special interest in war stories or Asia. However, any reservations I had disappeared as I was quickly sucked into the story. It's very unfortunate that many of Marius ...more
Shaunda
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have added this book to one of my favorite books ever! The story line had many twists and a very interesting plot. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a war settings with a complex story.
John Burges
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read from start to finish. Would highly recommend.
S, Buckingham
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read several novels set in WWII but this is the best one! A superb plot that takes some unexpected turns. A perfect blend or romance and history. Brilliant!
Joy H.
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Added June 2018. (Published January 14th 2014 by Thistle Books) (first published 1999)

(I bought the Kindle edition of this book from Amazon for 99 cents!)
I've already read 2 other Kindle books by Marius Gabriel.
They were:
The Designer (got free as a "Kindle First")
and The Ocean Liner (I paid $5.99 for Kindle edition) (also $1.99 for the audio).

This is the 3rd book by Marius Gabriel that I'm reading.
It's holding my interest so far. (It's about a missing daughter.)
So far, it's even taken me to
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book had a grip to my soul. the scenes where so well described that i could see them in my head while i was reading them. almost like living them with the characters.

Her name is Sakura, and she has the heart of a warrior.

this quote is so true.

Francine's character impressed me so much, she is so strong.
In this story happening at the end of WW2 in China, you will see her fight for everything she has, the discrimination she encounters along the way for being an Eurasian, find love after
Anette
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an ancient Chinese belief that in the seventh moon the hungry ghosts of those who have died without proper ceremony come back to haunt the living. In his most mesmerizing novel yet, Marius Gabriel evokes turbulent emotions on every page of this tale of a mother and daughter torn apart by wartime--and of a past never buried.

Early in World War II, as the Japanese overrun Malaysia, Francine Lawrence flees Singapore with her lover and her young daughter, Ruth. But Ruth is too sick to finish
Shoshi
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is written in a way, that I could feel their love and fear. This book is about an Eurasian women, who was unwillingly separated from her child, during the war. It is also a tender love story between Francine and Clive. They were surviving the horrors of WWII, the Japanese attacks and after the war Francine started her own life, making money and drowning all sorrow and pain this way. Separating herself from Clive, not to be reminded. But then, one day everything changed and brought everything ...more
Tina
Oh my goodness this book was SO good, I couldn't put it down! Historical fiction, takes place during and after WWII. Many plot twists and a nice ending.

Warning to anyone that this might be important to know: there are some 4 letter words used that might make some people cringe. Not constantly, but they're in there. And there are several sex scenes that might put off some. They didn't detract or add to the plot, in my mind...in fact they could have left them out, but they weren't long and drawn
Cyn
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marius Gabriel has a way of creating complex, interesting characters without resorting to excessive detail in writing to accomplish that goal. The first book of his that I read was years ago - The Mask of Time - and that story has been in my head ever since. The Seventh Moon was the 3rd Gabriel book I read, and it was compelling from beginning to end. This was more of a drama than anything else - the story of love between mother and child - not so much a mystery/thriller that two of his other ...more
Rick DeStefanis
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in a little over 24 hours. It is an emotionally draining story, well crafted, with vivid description and outstanding character development. Some very slight issues (given that I read with an author's eyes), but none that will take the reader out of the story and very little that will require suspension of disbelief. The writing is superb, the author a master at his craft. This is an excellent read.
Marc Secchia
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: influences
There is a moment after reading a book of such quality, that it gives you a shiver of pure delight, and this was one of those extraordinary reads. I'll not comment on the plot, because plenty of other reviewers have. But suffice to say, this is a tale to savour. From page 1 you realise you're in the hands of a master wordsmith, who ratchets up the tension right to the last page. This was my first experience of reading Marius Gabriel's work. What a treat! I will definitely be reading more.
Rebecca
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Got this via goodreads first reads book entry! (sorry forgot to mention that)

This was an interesting book about a girl and her mother who had to leave her behind due to dysentry in world war 2 or else the daughter would die.

As well as there escape it also details there reunion and how this came about etc!

All in all an enjoyable story, great plot and great characters!
Frances Smythe
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure, from the summary, that I would enjoy a book set in WWII but this book is a powerful and dramatic story and Marius Gabriel is an expert in drawing you into the world of his story-telling both from the historical side and, for me, the emotional side.I would really recommend this book.
Dani Bonam
Diane D White
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vivid and Moving

I don't know where Gabriel acquired his knowledge of the era and people of which he writes, but it was if he transported me there, an invisible spectator suspended by his enthralling, vivid descriptions above the portrayed events. What a surprise to learn so much about these people and those times in a novel I expected to tell only a love story. I couldn't put it down towards the end. I am left with feelings of horror and gratitude that I was not required to actually live through
Renee Yancy
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was published in 1999 and it was an enthralling tale of danger, love, and war. It's WW II and the main character, Francine, is forced to flee Singapore with her small daughter, Ruth. In the jungles of Saranak, Francine is forced to leave her daughter behind in the care of a primitive tribe, in order to save Ruth's life. I don't want to give away any more of the story.

This is exactly the kind of book I love and try to write myself- a story that sets you in the middle of an entirely
Caitlin Ditski
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Could not put this book down. Riveting story line. The characters are so well developed and you can almost feel their emotions through the writing. I'd read all of this authors books if the storytelling is anything like this. The only slight flaw that kept me from 5 stars is the rather abrupt end to the book. I could have done with another few chapters at least to feel like the ending rounded out.
Laurean Wilson Reynolds
Not a fan of war combat scenes but loved the strong survivalist characters, the mother- daughter conflict, ( a bit like Sophie's Choice) which was heart wrenching, and the imagery of South East Asia. The resolution scene between mother and daughter, which you are waiting for the entire second half of the book, gets lost in the war chaos sadly, but I couldn't put it down so 5 stars. Also reminded me of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Claudia Summers
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be prepared to read into the night

This is my favorite book by this author. The imagery of the jungle setting amidst WWII and a later war is haunting. The story is filled with suspenseful action. The strength and courage of the women who survive trauma and separation to find love is absolutely riveting.
Eileen Vernor
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a long and amazing journey!

This is a fascinating account of survival, tough choices and love lost. It starts during WWII in Singapore with Francine, Ruth and Clive and their escape. The tension continues to build through the story’s twists and turns to NY and Laos. Well worth the ride!
Alison Offerdal
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting, haunting

How can you move forward if you don’t face your past? This, amongst others, is one of the defining questions of this novel. Spanning three generations from the Second World War in the Far East, this novel will have you enthralled with its characters and unfolding drama from start to finish!
Diane Bird
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Fast moving and exciting.

This story of survival under extreme and tortuous conditions whilst escaping from the Japanese bombing of Singapore was made so vivid by Marius Gabriel's knowledge and understanding of the whole region. I loved it and felt I was on the journey. I couldn't put it down.
Joyce D. Wegner
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping from beginning to end.

The power of humans to withstand horrors and survive and still love is amazing. Thank you for this jarring work. I've been in Japan Thailand, Hong Kong, and Viet Nam. The horrors of war are unknown to our American land since slaughter of our Indian people. Yet our young are still sacrificed overseas bringing traumas home.
Joy Welsman
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Whirlpool of emotions. Fabulous

What a story,I felt like I was on a helter skelter and could not get off,but who would want to? Marcus Gabriel certainly knows how to keep you interested and mesmerized, I think I only took a breath when I had finished. A book not to be missed. Looking forward to reading more of his books.
Carol Hatch
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling

Marius Gabriel is a master storyteller and The Seventh Moon is another of his compelling novels. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres and Gabriel is one of my favorite authors. His characters are well developed and the storyline of Seventh Moon is imaginative yet plausible. There is no “fluff” here...it is a solid, satisfying read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Assignment Prague
  • The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
  • The Victory Garden
  • אהבתה של גברת רוטשילד
  • The Paris Girl
  • Where The Story Starts
  • When We Were Brave
  • Edelweiss
  • No Woman's Land: A Holocaust Novel (Women and the Holocaust, #2)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
  • My Name is Eva
  • The Girls of Pearl Harbor
  • The Art of Inheriting Secrets
  • Love of Finished Years
Marius Gabriel is an international thriller and mystery writer.

Under the pseudonym Madeleine Ker, he wrote over 30 romance novels in the 1980s.

As Marius Gabriel he has written several mystery best-sellers, some of them historical novels.

He has three grown-up children and currently lives in Cairo and London. He is 59.