Start by marking “The Original Sin” as Want to Read:
The Original Sin

The Original Sin

From the international bestselling author of THE MASK OF TIME and THE SEVENTH MOON.

It all begins with The Original Sin...

Mercedes Eduard--rich, powerful and still beautiful--lives quietly on her Costa Brava estate, her turbulent past behind her. Until the package from America arrives: the graphic photo of her daughter Eden, and the impossible demand for ten million
Published January 14th 2014 by Thistle Books (first published April 1st 1992)

Start your review of The Original Sin
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best trashy-smart-history buff-romance beach read ever!! I first read this book as teen and still read it from time to time. This author is so underated but he is brillant with the suspense and will keep you page turning into the midnight hours. If you liked Pan's Labryinth (The film) or are at all into the Spanish civil war period- you must read this!
Anette
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wealthy, cultivated Mercedes Eduard seems to have everything money can buy, but her serene life in Costa Brava is abruptly shattered when she receives a photograph of her daughter--half- naked and chained to a bed. On the back of the photo is a note: GO TO THE POLICE AND SHE DIES.

This is no ordinary kidnapping. Its roots go back beyond the Spanish Civil War to an original sin which has shadowed three generations and now links its heirs in a twisted chain of revenge.

I bought this Kindle book
Dawnice
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're capable of putting your own judgements aside you will love this book! It keeps you guessing, keeps you curious so you cant put it down and keeps your heart & mind challenged! The story moves between characters and eras of their life which you might think would be frustrating in a story line but instead each of those chapters pull you in individually so you don't want to stop! I give it a four out of five only because this book would not be for everyone.
Amy
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, 2014
If you take away one thing from this book, it's that nothing is black & white. The saga that unfolds on these pages lives deep inside the many shades of gray. I was grabbed by this story from very early on and stayed hooked until the very last word.

*I received this free as a Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for a review*
Bookmaniac70
Usually books of that genre are not my cup of tea but for unknown reasons I requested this one via Titletrader.com and decided to give it a try. It begins with a kidnapping and ends with a happy reconciliation. Betrayal,dirty family secrets,war and a couple of love stories garnish this dish according to the mass taste:-)). But it was intriguing and in fact I enjoyed it.It has 689p. and I finished it in two days which is a pretty good speed.
V. Pain
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book because it held a saga... It was what I imagine soap opera watchers become enamored with. Knowing all the emotions culminating within your heroine, and then knowing her decision... I am getting a lump in my throat just thinking about it. This book opened my eyes to the phrase "more than what meets the eyes".
Kari Kaz
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this books left me breathless! the blend of present and past was beautiful, definately recommend.
Frances Smythe
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an epic family saga and a wonderful story with twists and turns in the plot over several generations of one rather disjointed family. As I reached the end of the book I noticed myself reading much slower as I didn't want the story to end ... and what an ending made even more memorable by Marius Gabriel's beautiful prose. If you are looking for just one book to take away on a beach holiday, take this one - its luxuriously long and and one you can really get lost in.....Marius Gabriel
S, Buckingham
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a masterpiece of intrigue! I enjoyed it greatly and recommend it highly to anyone who wants a gripping read. The plot is brilliant, completely unexpected. This book will have you breathless with suspense!
Becky
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I first read it many, many years ago when I was in 9th grade. Even at that age, it was able to keep my interest through the whole book. I don't ever remember a point in the book when I felt the story had slowed or weakened.
Dana
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books i ever read
Vicky D.
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was slow at times, but it did have great historical perspective of 20th century Spain. When the pace picked up and the story started to explode, it was pretty shockingly compelling. I enjoyed it much more than The Designer, but I do love Gabriel's knack for fleshing out all the characters little by little to draw you in.
Julia
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Original Sin is an amazing family saga spanning three generations of women, beginning in Spain during the Spanish Civil War and climaxing in 1970s Arizona. It is a tale of family secrets, tragedy, war, passion, obsession, addiction, kidnapping, love, money, shame and redemption. This is the book that made me a Marius Gabriel fan. The first time I read it, in my late teens 10+ years ago, it utterly blew me away. This time around, too, I didn’t want it to end. It’s a shame that Mr. Gabriel is ...more
Mandy
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, favorites
This is a wonderfully captivating story. I agree with other reviews that you should not be too judgemental while reading it. These are all damaged characters who make choices that damage others, but then, that's what life is like.
I thought it exceptionally well-written, in a way that kept the reader's attention effortlessly.
This is a book that will stay with me for a long time and that I loved reading, and for that reason, it is easily a 5-star read.
I look forward to reading more from this
Arily
Dec 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was vicious! Yet it had me enthralled and I didn't want to put it down. The characters were so vile in some areas that it made me think of how it wasn't a fairy tale story, these were actual people who sinned and made a mess of things. Even if it was a bit vulgar, I really enjoyed reading this book.
Kali Kupenova
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The way he described the life of the junkie was breathtaking. I couldn't leave the book until I read it - harsh and in the meantime lovely and beautiful.
Natalya
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very hot and steamy, characters crawl under your skin, lots of plot twists against the historic background of Spanish civil war, an exciting read! Loved loved loved the inadvertent rehab interlude.
Haya
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my top ten ever- will always have a place of pride on my bookshelf- history, intrigue, money, sex and power- can't go wrong with that!
Malys
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book thrice and would recommended it to my friends. This book will always have a special place in my heart, I love it.
Venelina
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-trillers
I really liked the book, an extraordinary story.
Dani Bonam
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing story. Mercedes is wealthy beyond belief but not happy. The story is told in flashbacks but they appear as though they are happening now. It is an interesting way to tell a very complicated family story. Eden is a spoiled daughter of Mercedes and Dominic. She becomes a drug addict living in California. She is saved by a stranger she has never met through a bizarre event. A kidnapping to seek revenge of Eden’s mother for a wrong she did 30 years earlier. There is incest, wars, a bit of ...more
Maggie Barrington
Raw, Brutal and Beautiful

This is the fifth book of Marius Gabriel’s I have read... and will not be the last. He writes such strong prose that I find myself going back and reading passages over and over again, savoring their flavors. So far Wars in Spain, Germany, Paris and the world appear as strong central characters in his work, forging new paths, new decisions and not always as expected. He introduces topics not generally discussed in polite society, not to shock, but it does in its honesty.
Stela Radeva
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The manner the story is presented to the reader - going from past to present - is quite intriguing. The plot is really captivating although there are disturbing characters and situations...
When the story between Eden and her kidnapper started to take completely unexpected direction I couldn't put down the book and I was hoping that the Happy end between them would somehow be possible.

It's the second book I read from this author and I think won't be the last one.
Mike McCreadie
The final edit prior to publishing for kindle has left this edition with an abundance of grammatical and basic spelling errors, so many in fact that I stopped noting and sending the reports back to Amazon....story itself was absorbing with a few twists but the language and spelling errors erased my enjoyment!
Joy H.
Jun 11, 2018 marked it as decided-not-to-read-it
Added 6/7/18. (Published January 14th 2014 by Thistle Books) (first published April 1st 1992)

I got this book as by way of a "Kindle Unlimited" subscription which I subscribed to on June 10, 2018.
This means that I pay $9.99 per month but I can download up to 10 books each month without making any other payments.

I have read several other books by this author (Marius Gabriel) and they kept my attention even though I don't enjoy reading about the horrors of war, which he tends to write about. Most
Zulema Sapiro
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction at its best. The terrible earlier days of the Spanish War, its mean and ugly perpetrators, its powerless and poor warriors who are meant to die even before hearing the first bombs. Amid that setting, a brave woman who actually mingles with both "friends and ennemies". Going back and forth, longing for a peace setllement that cannot be achieved
susan abson
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indescribably brilliant

This book grips you at every level. There are so many different threads I feel like I have read and enjoyed several books at once. There is so much power in this story, love hate, deception, redemption and self discovery to name a few. This would be an excellent book club choice. I can't read enough of this authors books.
Carol Hatch
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raw, harsh and impossible to put down

I am a long-time fan of Marius Gabriel’s ability to tell a complex, brilliant story. Occasionally, as is the case with Original Sin, the subject matter and relationships challenge my comfort level, but I read on, knowing that every word is integral to the story. Simply put, Gabriel is a master storyteller.
Jean Neiderhiser
As always

I have just discovered the land of marius Gabriel, and what a euphoric land it is. It takes one far away and back again, with much remembered. These are reads I was looking for.
Goodreads Giveawa...: Who's reading (or read)? 9 8 Apr 29, 2014 12:16PM

• The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
  • Assignment Prague
  • The Prussian Captain
  • Whisper of the Moon Moth
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • Sea of Memories
  • No Woman's Land: A Holocaust Novel (Women and the Holocaust, #2)
Marius Gabriel is an international thriller and mystery writer.

Under the pseudonym Madeleine Ker, he wrote over 30 romance novels in the 1980s.

As Marius Gabriel he has written several mystery best-sellers, some of them historical novels.

He has three grown-up children and currently lives in Cairo and London. He is 59.
“very poor men are seldom bad. And that very bad men are seldom poor.” 1 likes
“Love meant knowing you could be broken into pieces again, at any time.” 1 likes