Start by marking “A House of Many Rooms” as Want to Read:
A House of Many Rooms

A House of Many Rooms

The Florio family, a rich society couple with two beautiful adopted daughters, is hiding dark secrets beneath a facade of love and care. But the fabric of the family is slowly unraveling under the weight of Barbara Florio's chronic drinking and drug abuse as well as the youngest daughter's penchant for arson.
Paperback, New revised and updated paperback edition, 276 pages
Published January 14th 2014 by Thistle Books (first published May 4th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A House of Many Rooms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A House of Many Rooms

Start your review of A House of Many Rooms
Mandy
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this author. I just seem to connect to his writing in such a good way. This book was no exception. It was fast-paced, and well-written, and full of so many twists. Just when I thought I had everything figured out, the narrative changed direction again.
Without doubt, one of my favourites of the year.
Each character was so well-rounded, that they felt very real to me.
I could see them in my mind so clearly. As with other books that I've read of his, the characters were flawed, not entirely
Anette
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the first time I picked up a Marius Gabriel book, I was hooked! This is a brilliant author who doesn't underestimate his readers' intelligence. A House of many Rooms takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotions with Rebecca when she gets some info about her child that she gave up for adoption years ago. Hold on to your hat because this book is fast paced and will leave you breathless. Cannot wait for his new book to be launched!
Anne
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a genre-busting novel that incorporates the action of a thriller with a smouldering romance and is fast-paced enough to keep the reader hooked throughout.

The Florio family are rich but extremely dysfunctional. Parents Michael and Barbara are separated and their two adopted daughters are troubled and confused. As Barbara becomes more dependent upon drugs and alcohol, her two daughters are left to do exactly as they please, which ends in tragedy for Barbara, and is the beginning of a
Kelly
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a part of Goodread's first reads giveaway program and was excited to read it as it sounded very interesting, and it definitely did not disappoint. It was a fast paced action with a thrilling story, a great page turner that was hard to put down. I managed to read it in just a couple of days and was not difficult to read at all, it was smooth flowing and we'll paced.

I really enjoyed the story of Rebecca and her plight in the story, and was not completely surprised by the
Anette
Good book. Page turner.
Dani Bonam
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites

Fantastic. This is what psychological thrillers are made of! I was truly drawn to this book and had a difficult time putting it down. I found myself reading much more than usual to consume as much as I could, as quickly as I could. I was surprised and confused several times in the novel, making it a real mystery, just like Rebecca, I was trying to solve.

The novel begins by focusing on a very dysfunctional family. Therese and Devon are adopted sisters and very different. Devon is poised and
Kymm
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'll start off by saying I've read other books by Marius Gabriel and thoroughly enjoyed them, this one however was hard to finish. I found it hard to believe to the point of being often times outlandish and ridiculous. The characters were flat and unlikable, the story was so far away from reality or that could or would actually happen that it made it almost seem silly at times. A family in turmoil, the mother is murdered, the two adopted girls live with their father now after they flee the ...more
margaret chalmers
A house of terror.

A story which uses the cliche situation of a woman who gave up her child and a wealthy disfunctional family with a pyromaniac in their midst. Two adopted children, one sweet, one troubled , which one is the arsonist killer of the adoptive mother? The story sweeps from Nepal to San Francisco to Italy and then Mexico. The birth mother tracks down her lost child to protect her. A thrilling nail biting tale in which it is hard to tell who is truthful and who a manipulative liar.
Carol Hatch
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

Marius Gabriel is a brilliant writer, one of my favorites, and A House of Many Rooms didn’t disappoint. The twisted, imaginative plot and the well-developed characters resulted in a book I had a hard time putting down. I know that some reviewers have a hard time with some of Gabriel’s subject matter, and I think that results in some lower star reviews. That is unfortunate. I hope that readers who are eager for a well-written, sophisticated novel give this a try.
mrs kathleen mcdaid
Another great book by this author but...

This would have been 5* but for an inconsistency towards the end. I won't spoil it but it let down an otherwise excellent book.

The story is gripping and told in such a way that you are transported to wherever in the world Rachel is travelling to or living in.

I love this author but please change the end chapter (not the outcome) to provide continuity of situation.
Lisa Roberts
Initially great ...

I really enjoyed the first 75% of the book but it was let down by a truly saccharine ending which was so far fetched I had to check the blurb to make sure I hadn't inadvertently started reading Mills & Boon. I found the characters quite engaging and read with a sense of anticipation, but the ending was lazy and highly improbable - a bit of an insult infact
Laurean Wilson Reynolds
Another page turned by Gabriel

I could not stop reading. Twists, turns, suspicions, good, evil and who done it? Strong female characters fight for a recognition of kinship and belonging. Psychopathic and complex relationships are presented so well by the author that it is easy to understand motives of the characters in the plot. Very good book!
Alison Offerdal
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another gripping novel

I’ve read several of Maurius Gabriel’s novels, all of which have been page turners! Rebecca is a well respected Doctor but when she’s recovering from an accident, her past catches up with her. Gripping novel from start to finish with s few twists and turns!
Wendy L Sisson
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't stop reading this!

Compelling and heart wrenching story of a broken family. This book.has it all. Heart break, romance, rich and poor, educated family. Can't wait to read.another from this author.
Marion Wike
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeps you engaged to the bitter end.
Louise Messik
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book with believable characters full of twists and turns. I couldn’t put it down. Now to read the other Marius Gabriel books.
Angela Richter
An Enjoyable Read.

This was a well told story with twists and turns through out. Sentences were missing & other grammatical errors throughout.
Kaye
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book Great characters and twists
Sharon Benham
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this book as a Goodreads Giveaway so I hadn't read any of this authors books before.

What a great read.

Following the story of Rebecca who ends up nannying for an American family in Italy. Michael Florio and his two adopted daughters, Therese and Devon. They are on the run from the police after a fire killed their adoptive mother and indications are that Therese started the fire.

Therese is a very troubled child.

Rebecca has her own agenda for taking care of the family.

This book has great pace
Julia
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca is recuperating in Nepal after a mountain climbing accident when she learns that Therese, the daughter she gave up for adoption thirteen years ago, is suspected of setting the fire that killed her adoptive mother. She concludes that her best chance of helping Therese is to reappear in her life as a nanny, telling no one her real identity. Rebecca soon realizes that something is not quite right with the entire family. Unfortunately, Marius Gabriel is not at his finest in this book. The ...more
Frances Smythe
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
What happens in the first few pages of this book gets you hooked straight away - a real page turner. I love the way Marius Gabriel writes - its poetic and creates such great imagery in your mind. The story is intriguing and there are unexpected twists and turns - there are some uncomfortable moments but they do not detract from the story-telling which is just amazing.
Sandy
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mind bending suspense

Overall this is Avery enjoyable thriller. A few times events and situations come together too easily or circumstances are a little too contrived so that story can move on, but pretty darn good page turner
Michelle
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kirkus Review was right in saying"A sexy,gripping thriller that doesn't miss a beat." When there are climaxes in this book,they are surprises and things that came out of nowhere.It kept me interested through the whole thing and definitely deserves five stars for intrigue.
Carissa
May 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculously predictable! Can not stand books like this. None of the characters where believable or had any sort of consistency; good or bad guys. I started skimming the book towards the end just to get it over with and it ended just as I predicted.
Katrina
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable read. I'll definitely be reading more by Marius Gabriel.
Ronnale
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different, but still amazing!

Very different from the other books I have read by this author. Just gos shows the depth of talent of this author. Brava!
Lea Ray
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterful mystery

It kept me deeply interested throughout the e entire book. I was still guess I guessing who done it until the end.

Penny
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Intense and dark. Marius Gabriel has become one of my new fave writers for his ability to draw a reader in!
Christine Frank
Feb 19, 2019

• Assignment Prague
  • The Secret Letter
  • The Paris Girl
  • The Girls of Pearl Harbor
  • Past Encounters
  • אהבתה של גברת רוטשילד
  • The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
  • My Name is Eva
  • Where The Story Starts
  • The Prussian Captain
  • No Woman's Land: A Holocaust Novel (Women and the Holocaust, #2)
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • Fortune's Daughters
  • Strange are the Ways
  • Edelweiss
  • The Victory Garden
  • Relative Strangers
  • Catriona's War
Marius Gabriel is an international thriller and mystery writer.

Under the pseudonym Madeleine Ker, he wrote over 30 romance novels in the 1980s.

As Marius Gabriel he has written several mystery best-sellers, some of them historical novels.

He has three grown-up children and currently lives in Cairo and London. He is 59.