Start by marking “Off the Couch and Out the Door: Finding Meaning in Midlife, One Adventure at a Time” as Want to Read:

SOMEWHERE AROUND MIDDLE AGE, inspired by his children and determined to overcome a life characterized by stress, ennui and more than one bad habit, Bob Foulkes sets out on his first big adventure. That Outward Bound trek through the Coast Mountains of British Columbia opened the door to a lifetime of adventures that have energized, enlivened and inspired him ever since.

Fr
Published February 17th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Off the Couch and Out the Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Couch and Out the Door

Denise
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bob has written a book that is inspiring, heartwarming and full of humor. I loved reading about each adventure – the highs and the lows. It made me want to run out and go share these experiences (I have noted some as ones that I will do in upcoming adventures!) The importance of savouring all those precious moments that we have in life really came through as I read this book. Even the ones that don’t seem so precious – like aching all over after a big adventure are ones that we can still look ba ...more
Brenda B
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a story of a "late blooming life of adventure".
I first fell in love with Bob's writing with his first book Adventures With Knives. In this new book, Bob shares how he "bumbles and stumbles" into a life of adventure. I find it inspirational, because by his own admission, he was a "poster-boy for early onset heart attack." And he admits his natural tendency is to familiarity, not adventure, to which I think a lot of people can relate.

Definitely read this book, and share it with people you
Graeme Connell
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I hit the last line on the final page I reminisced about a couple of other books of travellers and journeys: Robert Louis Stevenson's Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes and the Christopher Rush To Travel Hopefully. These were both inner explorations and Off the Couch follows in similar but lighter vein. What we find is not so much the adventures as they unfold but the candour of the writer, about himself, his fears, his triumphs, his actions. his delights and innermost thoughts. Off the ...more
Liz
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I admire Bob for gathering all those little travel notepads and post its (that are still sitting in a "drawer") and thoughtfully combine them to write an account of travel, life and adventure. Whether you are looking for some humour in an honest man who has learned much along the way or a meaningful exploration into the journeys one embarks on in life... "Off the Couch and Out the Door" is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon of reflecting upon your own adventures... while having a good laugh!
Christine Westermark
Very inspired by the call to exercise and outdoor activity so late in life. Took a great deal of courage and commitment.
Sandy Hilton