Start by marking “Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)” as Want to Read:

Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery

(The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal #3)

London, 1899. The beautiful people are dying…

A malevolent power is attacking London’s bright young things, and the only clue to what's happening is written in ancient Egyptian script. As ghost-hunter Simon Feximal and his companion Robert Caldwell investigate the mysterious deaths, the arrival in London of a notorious scholar-sorcerer seems to hold the answer to more than
Published March 11th 2014 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Remnant, please sign up.
Amy Mills It's posted for free on KJ Charles' blog. Go to kjcharleswriter (dot) com and look for the "Free Reads" tab. You'll also find short stories from…moreIt's posted for free on KJ Charles' blog. Go to kjcharleswriter (dot) com and look for the "Free Reads" tab. You'll also find short stories from several other of her series!(less)

Start your review of Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
K.J. Charles
Feb 21, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
At some point on Twitter, Jordan L Hawk and I agreed that our mission was to make gay Victorian occult investigators the new 'hot FBI agents'. Therefore, this story.

In this free novella, Whyborne and Griffin stop over in London on the way to Egypt and promptly find themselves entangled in both a supernatural mystery and a certain amount of personal strife with ghost-hunter Simon Feximal and his lover and chronicler Robert Caldwell.

Jordan and I had illegal amounts of fun writing this, and I
Ingie
Written March 13, 2014

3.8 Stars - an enjoyable shorty about an unexpectedly meeting in London between four fascinating gentlemen - ..and as always a lot of mysterious ghostly events

This Remnant story is a very funny (..these men's jealousy, their first meeting etc), cheeky and a bit thrilling short novella with four men I already like. Two lovely couples from two different good M/M series, written by two author separately usually. They all meet in London 1899.

# Robert Caldwell & Simon
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Pretty enjoyable, but since I've only read the first two Widdershins books, and a long time ago, I wasn't as familiar with those characters. I still liked it a great deal, but I REALLY loved The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal and I was hoping for more of that magic. I got a taste, though, which made me happy!
Ami
Both series have been a favorite of mine -- although I still wish for a Simon Feximal NOVEL -- so imagine my excitement (that had gone through the roof, thank you very much!) when I heard that the two authors were collaborating, and the four characters would meet.

I said, BRING ON THE STORY!!

In this one, the event happened 5 years after Butterflies and 4 months after Stormhaven. Whyborne and Griffin were heading to Egypt but must stopped at London. While Simon and Robert were dealing with
Isabel
Short but so good!!! Though I haven't read any book of Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal series, I knew K.J. Charles writing from A Charm of Magpies series, and so I had to read this book! And I'm glad I did! These writers are so creative! This book is funny, interesting... amazing!

Whyborne is still my favorite... this character is so funny... I love him... well I love them all! Simon and Robert have a very intense relationship! I have to read their series too, definately!!!

Susan
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it

Fun interview with the characters Whyborne, Griffin, Robert, and Simon on the release day of their collaboration, "Remnant"! http://boysinourbooks.com/2014/03/11/...

**********

If you're a fan of the Whyborne & Griffin books or the Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal shorts, then this is a no-brainer, must-read!

Yup...pretty much as good as you would expect from these two!!!!!

LOVED. EVERY. WORD.
Sheri
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hmmmmm. This was...interesting.
I'll admit right from the get-go, I read this because I'm addicted to all things Whyborne and Griffin. It wasn't as if I didn't really care about Simon and Robert but...well, I didn't really care much about Simon and Robert. And yet, now I'm rather intrigued.
Genius really.
Looks like I have another couple I need to add to my 'make their acquaintance' list.
Drat, these freebies are Trouble...in the very best way!

ps...really really loved the 'belong to' scene.
Made
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
This was simply delicious.

The way these four meet is humorous and Ival has one of my favorite lines because of it.

It's a rare treat to have two established couples working together, with neither of them in danger of being compromised. This allows all of their personalities to display truthfully. The result? Unfounded jealousy on the parts of some that is viewed with loving snickers and wry smiles by the others. Heated passion is the the yummy reward for all of them, and us.

The way the sections
Heller
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.75

I wondered how these two authors would mesh their styles because there seemed to be subtle differences that would make a collaboration jarring. This was a smooth read though and there was a clever give and take here with alternating chapters from Whyborne and Caldwell with a rather fun meet cute for the couples. The mystery was easily solved but it was really just a convenient way for the men to interact.

We're 4 months past Stormhaven and 5 years past Butterflies. A lot of changes have
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
Oooooh...

Jordan L. Hawk's Whyborne & Griffin find themselves in London on their way to Egypt

They are greeted (stalked) by KJ Charles Caldwell & Feximal

I've not read any of the Caldwell and Feximal books yet, from what I can work out the first book is no longer available and won't be until this summer. I'm intrigued, I really want to read their story. The chemistry was quite something.

Whyborne and Griffin were their usual awesome selves, Whyborne was hilarious. He is such a grumpy
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Crossover Stars

Highly enjoyable, it’s recommended to read the other books in both series to get the maximal experience watching Robert and Simon team up with Whyborne and Griffin.

Cheeky fun (plus some separate sexy times) as Robert and Griffin hit it off, while their respective partners are more disgruntled and far less inclined to join forces in finding a killer.

I can only hope we see more of these 2 duos working together!
☙ percy ❧
SIMON AND ROBERT: this man is evil!!!!
WHYBORNE: wtf no i'm not
SIMON: you literally raised an ancient eldritch god from the sea and destroyed a hospital
WHYBORNE:

anyway i NEED jordan l hawk and kj charles to collaborate on a brand new victorian supernatural series with at least 5 books RIGHT NOW. I NEED IT!!!!!!
Deborah
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book takes place in London. When Whyborne and Griffin are travelling to Egypt.

It’s a crossover book featuring Simon and Robert from the Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal.

I enjoyed this but I’m not sure about Simon. Originally I was thinking that would be my next read but ...

I’m not sure I like the idea of his gift causing pain when used. But I’ll admit I am curious...
Elizabetta
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it

This new collaboration between KJ Charles and Jordan L Hawk brings together the formidable powers of two pairs of paranormal investigators. We’re familiar with American team, Whyborne and Griffin, from Hawk’s series of the same name. They are traveling abroad with a lay-over in London. It becomes Yank against Brit when they meet up with Charles' dynamic duo, Caldwell and Simon Feximal, who are chasing more mysterious deaths.

At first, the four men test their wits against each other in uncovering
Ariana
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it. So amusing.
These two sets of MCs meeting each other was simply delightful and so much fun!
This short story would have been just worth it for seeing a jealous Simon. LOL. I could have done with more of that.
Great crossover!
Elena
Reread in 2019
4.5 stars, again

Still enjoyable the second time around. This time, I read it with the full knowledge of Simon and Robert’s story. I don’t think it really added much, the authors did a good job in making the story easily accessible without any previous knowledge of the characters, but there were some nice bonuses. Mostly catching some references I missed the first time like the one to Simon and Robert’s first case together. :D
-------
Original review in 2017:

This was fun.
I
Karen
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read
This was a free read put out by K.J. Charles and Jordan L Hawk and contained the main characters from each author's series 'A Charm of Magpies' and 'Whyborne & Griffin' and really and truly it was one hell of a fun read.

I can honestly say my only issue with the whole story was it needed to be longer. Pages and more pages of these four would have been epic. I am seriously going to cross my fingers that somewhere, somehow these two authors do a collaboration with these four men. I can't
Nick Pageant
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Super fun short featuring my favorite m/m couple, Whyborne & Griffin, joined by my second favorite m/m couple, Caldwell & Feximal.

Fun, fun, fun with a little sexy and a little suspense thrown in. I am pleased. Fun.
Heather C
OMFG! This was awesome!! Just imagine my excitement when I discovered that two of my favorite authors were writing a story together…Whyborne and Griffin and Robert and Simon all in that one little story together! Wait, not that kind of together, you pervs.

I’ve been following Whyborne and Griffin for a little over a year now; its one of my favorite series and they are definitely one of my favorite couples! And The Magpie Lord was another of my favorite reads from 2013. So when I found out Jordan
Dαɴιjα

Like finding more candy at the bottom of the bag when you thought you've eaten it all.

I thought The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal contained all three previously published short stories, so it was a pleasant surprise to get to the end of the book and find out I had one more story to read. I wanted more time with Robert and Simon and Remnant gave me that.

Two authors penned this story, so we have four main characters instead of two. KJ Charles' Robert and Simon were joined by Jordan L. Hawk's
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
Reread review 3/20/19:

Could've done without the jealousy-driven sex, but other than that, still as much fun as the first time. I did keep mixing up Simon and Robert this time around, because I'm not as familiar with them and only read The Secret Casebook the one time. Those skin runes are still a stupid way to do magic, lol.

Original review 7/5/15:

Well, that was a lot of fun! I was a little saddened, at first, that this short wasn't also from Griffin's POV, but that went away real quick. This
Meags
4 Stars

This spooky historical short brought two dearly beloved M/M couples together in a clever and fun way. I may have just met Charles' Caldwell & Feximal earlier today, but nothing could have made me like this couple quicker than pairing them with Hawk's always fabulous Whyborne & Griffin.

Told in alternating chapters – through the two distinct points of view of Caldwell & Whyborne – we witness the foursome meeting for the first time, as they grudgingly put aside personal
Eugenia
What a fun crossover short featuring four of my favorite MCs from two of my favorite authors!!

I highly recommend reading The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal before launching into this fab 4 meeting in London.

Robert and Simon are investigating mysterious deaths involving Egyptian hieroglyphs. They catch wind that an Egyptologist (Whyborne) has come ashore and wonder if he's behind the ghastly murders. The two couples meet up......Griffin and Robert hit it off....Feximal and Whyborne do not. Each
Vanessa North
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Somehow, i enjoyed the four guys together even more than on their own. This was too much fun for words. Also really interesting to see two writers whose work I enjoy separately writing together and be able to see the differences in style juxtaposed so nicely. They complemented each other without losing what I enjoy about them individually.

Sunny
Oh, I really liked this one. Wonderful, delightful characters with humorous, steamy, and antagonistic interactions. Delicious, like a Spanish tapa...small, but with big flavor :)

Hollis
REMNANT was referenced in THE SECRET CASEBOOK OF SIMON FEXIMAL and as it was a freebie, despite my mixed experience with Hawk's first book of her own paranormal fighting duo series, I gave this a go.

"I was just reading Mr. Caldwell's latest Casebook on the boat--"
"That awful dime novel rubbish?"
"If I could remind you, my dear, Mr. Caldwell has a gun."
" I almost never respond to literary criticism with homicide. "

Hawk's characters were definitely easier to bear in this little shorty, which makes
Cristina
This crossover between K.J. Charles' The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal and Jordan L. Hawk's Whyborne & Griffin series was so much fun to read.

Whyborne and Griffin stop in London on their way to Egypt and meet/clash with Simon Feximal, Robert Caldwell and a scary Egyptian spirit.

Whyborne is his usual agitated self and Simon scowls and frowns at the Americans suddenly landed in London, whilst Caldwell and Griffin exercise rationality and a little bit of flirtatious attitude.

All the
~Volha~
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a treat to read about Whyborne and Griffin in London. I liked the case - it was mysterious and grizzly enough to keep me curious. I am on the fence about Robert Caldwell and Simon Feximal. Something about them really stuck in my craw. Maybe because I love Whyborne and Griffin so much that they can't compare to anyone else. Otherwise, this was an enjoyable novella with surprising amount of heat, mild suspense and a bit of humor.
Rosa
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked how this short was written more than how it was done in The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal. It's a pity, I would have enjoyed that one much more if it would have been written in this style.
I'm glad I'm BRreading this. Thank you for the advice guys, it was awesome reading this at the point it intersects with Necropolis instead of doing it after Stormhaven.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Let me be clear: the rating is for Jordan L. Hawk's part of the story, for Whyborne and Griffin.

Whyborne and Caldwell tell a story through alternate chapters. I loved Whyborne's.

This: 'Feximal clearly suspects the worst of Whyborne – and his flirtatious sidekick seems to think a great deal too well of Griffin...' completely ruined a perfectly good paranormal story. I think there should be some kind of test to determine who can write blurbs. There are dead bodies without eyes, tongues, genitals
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add authors to a new book 6 28 Feb 21, 2014 08:40AM

• Carousel (Whyborne & Griffin, #3.4)
  • Eidolon (Whyborne & Griffin, #1.5)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Harmony (Whyborne & Griffin #5.5)
  • Undertow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8.5)
  • Draakenwood  (Whyborne & Griffin, #9)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
  • Home (Whyborne & Griffin, #1.2)
  • Hexmaker (Hexworld, #2)
  • The 13th Hex (Hexworld, #0.5)
I'm a writer of romance, mostly m/m, often historical or fantasy or both.

I'm also a freelance editor, and I blog about writing and editing at kjcharleswriter.com.

I live in London, UK, with husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Follow me on Twitter @kj_charles or friend me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/kj.charles.9

The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal (4 books)
  • The Caldwell Ghost (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #1)
  • Butterflies (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #2)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal