Start by marking “The Julian Chapter (Wonder #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Julian Chapter (Wonder #1.5)

The Julian Chapter

(Wonder #1.5)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  20,369 ratings  ·  2,249 reviews
Over 1 million people have read Wonder and have fallen in love with Auggie Pullman, an ordinary boy with an extraordinary face. Now readers will have a chance to hear from the book's most controversial character—Julian.

From the very first day Auggie and Julian met in the pages of the #1 New York Times bestseller Wonder, it was clear they were never going to be friends, wi
Published May 13th 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Julian Chapter, please sign up.
Paul Alex Prince, III Had it been the final chapter of the original novel, it would have been my favorite chapter of all. Definitely worth purchasing.
Emu Yes, it pretty much is. It gives the perspectives of Julian, Auggie's old friend Christopher, and Charlotte.

·  20,369 ratings  ·  2,249 reviews

Candace
I absolutely loved 'Wonder' and think that everyone should read/listen to it at least once. However, with all of the different viewpoints offered, I felt like one of the most important POVs had been skipped. As much as I detested Julian in 'Wonder', I really wanted to know exactly what made him such a mean kid. How does a child learn to behave so hatefully?

Apparently, I wasn't the only person that felt that Julian's POV was needed. Immediately upon finishing 'Wonder', I went in search of Julian'
Mario
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
One mistake does not define you.

I didn't expect to like this story as much as I did. Mostly because I hated Julian in Wonder. But this story actually made me like the kid a bit more (I still don't quite like him, but I don't hate him either, so that's something). It was nice to see him developing and growing as a character.

I really hope that the other two stories are as good as this one, because I'm not ready to say goodbye to these really wonderful characters.
JV (semi-hiatus)
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, kids-these-days

A fresh start gives us the chance to reflect on the past, weigh the things we’ve done, and apply what we’ve learned from those things to the future. If we don’t examine the past, we don’t learn from it.

I was hesitant to read this because I know that Julian is such a jerk and a total douchebag, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Just look at the reaction of his mother seeing Auggie for the first time — in their middle school class picture! Seriously, Photoshop? Ugh.

This short story is
Mariah Roze
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read Wonder about two years ago, so when I found out that there were short stories that went with the book I had to read them. I was very impressed by the Julian chapter. I didn't think it would be as good as it was. I loved the story his grandmother shared and how it connected to him so well.
Gisbelle
It was such an emotional story. Julian, the bully as we've known him from Wonder, got a chance to tell his side of the story - why he was so mean to Auggie, what happened during the summer and how he righted the wrong. I loved the story Julian's grandmother told about the boy in her class when she was a little girl. That part of the book got me weep. It was just so beautiful.
Stephanie Anze
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, favorites
"It is always brave to be kind."

When August starts the fifth grade at Beecher Prep, he takes everyone by surprise. Not having a conventional apperance, he causes quite the uproar particularly with Julian. Julian is a popular kid in the grade and takes an instant dislike to August. Thus, Julian begins to make Auggie's life at school difficult. This is his side of the story.

I read 'Wonder' a little while back but the impact it left me with has not yet dissipated. Julian is the bully and I'd be ly
Aya Hamza
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
“Sometimes we hate the things we're afraid of.”

This is an additional chapter of Wonder from Julian's POV.
I didn't like Julian, he was so annoying and couldn't understand Auggie's condition at all.
But I liked his grandma and her story so much, they were so similar,though!

In this book, you learn that nothing seems like it is used to be, and never to judge anyone unless you know him well.
Denise
5 stars does not do this short story justice. I was moved to tears as I read Julian's story (the bully in Wonder). It's not often that you get to peek into the mind of a bully & their struggles. This story is a must read for not only school age children but adults too. So much to learn!!
Holly Mueller
In an interview I saw, R.J. Palacio was asked why she didn't include Julian's point of view in Wonder, and she said that she didn't want him to have a voice. When we hear someone's story, we feel empathy, and she didn't want that. I wonder if she needed the distance from writing the novel to feel compelled to tell Julian's story. At the beginning of the chapter I didn't think there was going to be redemption since Julian was unlikable as ever. His parents were equally unlikable, especially his m ...more
Rikke
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't like this book as much as the "Wonder" book itself.
I wonder if the writer only wrote this chapter because readers all over the world were asking for it.
I don't think a writer can write what people want, and get away with it. A writer should write what they want, and the right people will love it.

First of all I don't find the Julian character believable. The way he talk and act is so different from what he does in "Wonder". Like a different person.
I also find the whole nightmare situatio
Tiffy
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great short story written in Julian's perspective. The Grandmother's part almost made me cry.
Renégade ♥
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 to 5 stars

"Sometimes it's good to start over."

Just so much here...

Must be read after 'Wonder' to fully experience the depth and wisdom of this seemingly simple and touching tale.

He looked at us and took a deep breath. "Oh boy, I think I've just made you all more nervous, haven't I?"
We shook our heads. He rubbed his forehead.
"You know," he said, "one of the things you learn when you get old like me is that sometimes, a new situation will come along, and you'll have no idea what to do. The
crίѕтίŋα•●♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥●•
4.5 'start over' stars

“It was like I had entered the portal to a different dimension, an alternate universe in which Auggie and I had changed places. Suddenly, he was the popular one, and I was the outsider.”
- Julian

* * *
“Sometimes it’s good to start over.”
- Julian

* * *
“I agree, sometimes it’s good to start over. A fresh start gives us the chance to reflect on the past, weigh the things we’ve done, and apply what we’ve learned from those things to the future. If we don’t examine the past, we d
Irshad
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"There's a whole big world out there, and not everyone is nice to everyone else. Thats just the way it is."

Let me just start off by saying that Wonder has been one of my absolute favourite books this year and I was so glad to jump back into Auggie's world through the visions of Julian, his bully.

I loved The Julian Chapter.
It was perfect. Having the perspective of the bully opened my eyes and allowed me to empathise with his side of the story. Remember guys, there's always two sides to a story.
Giulia China
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it
If you did read Wonder , one of the most controversial character of the book was Julian, the bully. His story needed a bit more space than a single chapter, that's why R.J Palacio decided to write this short-story on the main antagonist of the book.

Julian didn't help making Auggie Pullman's school life any easier since he got into his school. He hates him, he treats him like he has the plague, but why does he do it? He is just an horrendous kid or is there something more behind it?

The writer pu
Catherine
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Julian's voice was missing from Wonder, an absence that I felt. This additional short completes the story for me. I wanted to strangle Julian and his parents at times, but I feel he explains and redeems himself in the end.

I'd love to see this included in future editions of the main book and hope that teachers who have their students read the novel will also have them read the bully's perspective.
Christopher Xia
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Toph
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was really nice to get to see Julian's perspective on Wonder... never thought I'd feel sorry for him but I guess Palacio changed all of that. She does a fantastic job at accurately portraying the defensiveness bullies sometimes feel about their actions at first, and also the (sometimes) remorse that comes later (even though that was a bit contrived). I don't know if I could've forgiven my elementary school classmates that made fun of my cleft lip, (view spoiler) ...more
George Jankovic
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great to see the world from the bad guy's point of view.
Claudia
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
"It is always brave to be kind."
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Children's Publishing and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

5 Stars

I was one of the many people who fell completely in love with the book Wonder, which told the story of a boy who was born with a facial deformity. I fell in love with Auggie as I devoured Wonder in one sitting. In that book, Julian was the bully at the school that made things difficult fo
Henrietta
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought I could never stand Julian, but I was wrong…

When I read Wonder, I got the impression that Julian was a spoiled kid. I thought his mother was unsympathetic and I was relieved when the middle-school director hinted that he wouldn’t be coming back in the fall.

In The Julian Chapter, we got to see everything from Julian’s perspective. While his parents were supportive, I wouldn’t say they exactly understood what their child was struggling with. I got that Julian’s mom was trying her best to
Denise
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2014-reads
I was so happy to finally hear Julian's voice. I loved Wonder, and this is a must-read for fans of that book. I will say that I didn't entirely buy Julian's reasons for being the way he was being (I thought he just enjoyed his power and influence in the school and enjoyed exercising it...period), I appreciated finally hearing his voice. I thought the author did a nice job of letting us hear Julian's chapter, while subtly reminding us that there was no excuse for his behavior. I was pleasantly su ...more
Sandra Bašić
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of novellas in the series, especially from different point of view, of each character. But Wonder is simply a wonder, a great story, so I really enjoyed reading. Granny's story was wonderful!
Danny Phanton
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reseña en mi blog: La cueva de Danny.

Leído para el Reading Challenge 2015. #16. No leído de un autor que ames
It's good to star over. A fresh star gives us the chance to reflect on the paste, weigh the things we've done and apply what we've learned from those things to the future. If we don't examine the past. We don't learn from it.

Creo que eso es en lo que consiste el libro, uno comete errores, pero lo importante es aprender de ellos.
Si creo que el libro esta de más y que perfectamente pudo es
Madison
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
This was a quick but great little story! Julian and his family aren't so great. The mum and dad are awful! Julian's grandmother was amazing though, I loved hearing about her story!
The ending for this was amazing! I'm glad Julian is happier now, but I still don't like him at all.
Millerh_c2
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

I loved Wonder as soon as I realised there are other books of Wonder series, I read Julian right away. It is not nice of me to say but I hated Julian well hate is a strong word I disliked him too much, I know he is a kid and kids do mean things sometimes not even realizing, but I did dislike him.

“Sometimes we hate the things we're afraid of.”

Wonder had several POV but not of Julian, after Julian's side of the story I did feel bad for hi
Ankita Singh
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had planned on not writing reviews for the Wonder novellas because I just wanted to read them and enjoy them.

But The Julian Chapter forced me to write a review about it. And that's how awesome it was. I can't not write about it. I just have to.

I love how Julian goes through the journey from being an absolutely stupid kid to a boy who understands and owns up to his mistakes.

The transformation of Julian from a bully to a normal kid is, well, inspiring. It's short, but so full of meaning.

I'm glad
Giovanna
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
“The things you did, you know they were not right. But that does not mean you are not capable of doing right. It only means that you chose to do wrong.

Everybody makes mistakes. And it's so easy for us to judge, to say "I wouldn't have said that, I wouldn't have done that."
But let's be honest: how many of us can be certain that they wouldn't have done what Julian did? It's a terrible thing to say, but it's the truth: we are so afraid of what we don't know. What Julian did was terrible, cruel even
Play Book Tag: The Julian Chapter, A Wonder Story, by RJ Palacio 2 11 Jun 15, 2019 10:33PM
What do you think about Julian's point of view? 2 23 Jul 27, 2018 01:53PM
Is this book released as a hard copy? 13 102 Aug 31, 2015 07:53AM
Your Perspective 2 13 Jun 16, 2015 03:46PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Julian Chapter by R. J. Palacio 1 13 Jun 06, 2015 04:09PM
Bullies, by Timothy 3 11 Jan 08, 2015 07:08PM
Bullies 3 20 Dec 10, 2014 07:54PM

• Ava and Pip (Ava and Pip #1)
  • The Secret Hum of a Daisy
  • Mr. Wayne's Masterpiece
  • Circa Now
  • Twerp
  • Smart Cookie
  • Ms. Bixby's Last Day
  • Beholding Bee
  • How to Outrun a Crocodile When Your Shoes Are Untied (My Life Is a Zoo, #1)
  • The Center of Everything
  • Manhunt (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #3)
  • A Handful of Stars
  • Ban This Book
  • The Meaning of Maggie
  • All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook
  • Absolutely Almost
  • Better to Wish (Family Tree, #1)
  • I Kill the Mockingbird
R.J. Palacio lives in NYC with her husband, two sons, and two dogs. For more than twenty years, she was an art director and graphic designer, designing book jackets for other people while waiting for the perfect time in her life to start writing her own novel. But one day several years ago, a chance encounter with an extraordinary child in front of an ice cream store made R. J. realize that the pe ...more

Wonder (1 books)
  • Wonder
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. —Ian Maclaren” 53 likes
“One mistake does not define you.” 45 likes