Start by marking “Beneath the Mask of Sanity” as Want to Read:
Beneath the Mask of Sanity

Beneath the Mask of Sanity (The Bentley Books Book #1)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  212 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Bentley Grimes is a killer not content with just taking a victim's life, he also wants to experience emotions. When he kills George Braddock, Bentley infiltrates the Braddock household by befriending his victim's oldest daughter, Katie. He witnesses their misery searching for that indefinable trait that makes him different from the rest of the world.
Frank Miles is a detect
Published February 19th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Beneath the Mask of Sanity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath the Mask of Sanity

Zoeytron
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I want to make it clear that I really liked this story, the pacing of it, the characters, and the hideous nature of the mind set of the serial killer. Dark and unsettling tales are a great favorite of mine, and based on story alone, this was good.

Unfortunately, the myriad malapropisms almost sullied the whole effect. A 'connivance' store when it should have been a 'convenience' store, a police 'precinct' was labeled police 'prescient'. A short fat man who 'wattled' when he walked, um, did you m
Jack
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Decent serial killer story

OK, need to get the criticism out of the way first. This book cries out for a proofreader. I can take a few gaffes in any story, but this one was pretty bad. Having said that, I have seen worse. Much worse. Phillips spell checker works at least most of the time, but sometimes, many times in this book, a word might be spelled correctly, but it's the wrong word. "Connivance" instead of "convenience" for example. Another one I noticed was there were two chapter 95's. As I
Leigh Podgorski
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gory. Graphic. Fierce. Explicit. Beneath the Mask of Sanity by Mark Phillps is not a read for the faint of heart or for anyone not ready for a jagged splintered journey into the heart and mind of a serial killer and the wake of his destruction.
Phillips has created serial killer Bentley Grimes and set him upon a swath of monumental carnage. Traipsing behind is detective Frank Miles, determined to catch his prey while fighting his own demons, and at the center of Grimes’ butchery is the Braddock
Michael Ronn
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't typically read psychological thrillers, so this was a different read for me. Bentley Grimes is an instantly interesting character, and it was worth reading to see what he would do next. I thought that the opening of the book was very well done, too.

I didn't catch hardly any typos, either, and kudos to the author for that. My only recommendations were that 1. the book was a bit long. I don't think it was because of the writing, but instead the chapter numbering. It made it feel longer th
Bob
May 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
well, there's not a lot to say about this book. it's not awful. the plot is decent and keeps moving pretty well. the ending was ok. not a lot of superlatives in this review, are there? not only was the story not terrific, the thing really needs a good proofing and editing. there are spelling errors throughout the whole book and the formatting is poor. this was just good enough a book that i managed to read the entire thing without tossing it out. that's the best i can say about it.
Michelle
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book

You people should just read this book yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourself and I really enjoyed reading this book very much so. Shelley MA
Rebecca
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Meet Bentley Grimes. He's a serial killer with a thirst for the big score. Families.

Now meet Katie Braddock. She was a normal teenage girl until her father was murdered, leaving she and her mom, and her younger sister Karen, to try and salvage their lives without him. But when Katie turns to new boy Brandon, she's unwittingly opening the door for the killer.

Meanwhile, Detective Frank Miles is on the hunt for George's mur
Sarah Roberts
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beneath the Mask of Sanity is a gripping psychological thriller that pushes the limits of a reader's comfort level - as any good thriller should. This story takes you on a journey through the experiences of the killer, the victims, and the law enforcement personnel involved. Fast paced and captivating, Beneath the Mask of Sanity is sure to make your heart pound.

The language and imagery are at times jarring, but they mirror the horrific nature of the main character, Bentley Grimes. The characters
Paul Penney
May 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Proofreading is still a thing, right?

It angers me that an author can publish a book when it has not been proofread for stupid errors. If your published work has 'first' spelled 'fist, 'funeral' spelled 'funereal', and 'Sheila' spelled correctly and as 'Shelia' on the same page, something is wrong. I don't know how many errors were there in total, because I wasn't halfway through the book when I got sick of the mistakes and gave up on it. How can this be published? Really?
Lorena Garcia
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Why the dog...?

Why the dog...?

Don't read this book if you're a dog lover...although the part is not long the author gives gruesome details that I'm sure most would not like to read. I know it's what most serial killers do but this particular part should have been left out.
Robert C. smith
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable Mystery

Enjoyable Mystery

Other than getting a bit too far out on some tangents, Author Mark Phillips writes a fairly fast paced novel with lots of twists and turns. He does a good job of bringing it all together in the end, although not a totally "happy ending."
Rashmi Pant
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A hard hitting book, not for the faint of heart. A ruthless serial killer depicted well. The killer is not satisfied with a single kill, but likes to go back and kill the entire family. The story overall is well told, except for some leaps in logic and some misspellings.. which I think can be forgiven, given that the book engages the reader right to the end. I enjoyed it.
Mark
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Mark Phillips may be a good storyteller. But he'd be a better writer if he used spellcheck, dictionary.com, and an editor. While I was riveted by the progression of this tale, i was distracted by his misspellings, malapropisms, typos, and errant punctuation. And while I'm a fan and client of Kindle Direct Publishing, direct-to-digital is no excuse for lack of discipline.
Trease
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
It Captured Me!

Very interesting! Although there were a few typographical errors, the story itself was good. It would be beyond tragic if a person like the main character existed but the story was great.
Carol Phillips
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beneath the Mask of Sanity is an intense book. It keeps you reading because you have to know what is going to happen next. I'm a slow reader and I finished it in just a few days because I couldn't put it down.
Nicole
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting read, but probably one of the most grotesque and vulgar books I have ever read. I wanted to put down the book many times because even for me (who loves psychological/crime murders) it was too much but you wanted to keep reading to find out what happened.
Shelle Pennington
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not an easy read for the faint of heart. I enjoy the gory and intense psychological thriller, but even this had me questioning my desire to finish. Great storytelling and fantastic characters. But it will make you hope you never meet any of these characters on the road.
Melanie
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story quite a bit however there were quite a few spelling and grammar errors. This unfortunately removed me from the story which took away from it for me. I'm hopeful this is transcriptional issues and not reflective of the author's writing.
Erica
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I did not see the end coming! Was completely caught off guard with it. I liked how the story progressed and the story telling itself was very easy. I was never bored with reading it and look forward to reading the sequel.
Astra
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. That being said, the only thing keeping me from giving it 5 stars is the over abundant amount of typos.
Bethany
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
the ending was rather rushed for me & didn't really explain, but a good read...
Susan
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
this story is a graphic psychological thriller it is well written and fast paced I liked the story
Rrsimpson
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This villain was a real bad guy! The story was suspenseful and intense, sometimes so much so that I had to take a break from reading it. Not a good book to read at night when you're home alone!
vicki wilson
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not worth my time.

I prefer more mystery and less gore.
Perhaps the sequel will be better.Lisa Gardner is more my style.
But that is just my opinion.
Bryan
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good thriller. Could have been five stars but needs a bit of proofreading.
Jim
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psych
Good beginning but writing style falls apart in the middle through ending. The story has some potential with an edited rewrite.
Olivia
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
For a free kindle book, this was good..although a bit messed up...since its about a serial killer... But I did enjoy reading it, even with the grammar errors.
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Language was a little rough but the story was good. Kept me turning the page!!!
Brittany
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book.

This was a great book. Found it hard to put down. Definitely going to read the second one very soon.
Rebecca Gebhart
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Utterly disturbing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Mystery, Crim...: Beneath the Mask of Sanity: Free! 1 9 May 16, 2014 01:21PM
The Mystery, Crim...: Beneath the Mask of Sanity 1 6 Mar 18, 2014 05:25PM
  • The Dart Murders
  • The Apostle Murders (Keller & Morris #1)
  • Two Ghosts Haunt A Grove (Mellow Summers, #7)
  • See No Evil (Shingle Beach, #1)
  • The Storm Protocol
  • Rise of the Dunamy
  • Dominatus
  • The Life and Times of Jesus: From His Earthly Beginnings to the Sermon on the Mount (Part I)
  • Foreseen (Rothston, #1)
  • Adrenaline
  • Of A Feather
  • The Child Taker & Criminally Insane Box Set (Detective Alec Ramsay Series, #1-3)
  • The Cana Mystery
  • Abra-Cadaver
  • The Journal (Jack O'Neill Mystery, #2)
  • Death by Obsession (Caribbean Murder, #8)
  • Evil Cries
  • K.A.R.M.A
Mark Phillips is the author of several thriller and literary novels. His Bentley Books series introduced the world to sadistic serial killer Bentley Grimes, a villain of unbelievable cruelty and unimaginable coldness. His literary novels are populated with richly drawn characters struggling with issues that affect our society today, such as: homosexuality, alcoholism, family struggles, poverty, gr ...more
More about Mark Phillips

The Bentley Books Book (3 books)
  • Beyond the Mask
  • Before the Mask

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
“ “Appreciate what you have.  Look at the sun even when it isn’t dusk.” 1 likes
“We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow.” Ted Bundy” 0 likes