Start by marking “I Just Want to Be Alone (IJWTBA #2)” as Want to Read:
I Just Want to Be Alone (IJWTBA #2)

I Just Want to Be Alone

(IJWTBA #2)

The second volume in the best-selling I Just Want to Pee Alone series!

Don't get us wrong, we love the men in our lives – we do (most of the time). It's just that sometimes we would like them to go away. Not forever or anything like that. Just for an hour … or a day … or a weekend. We want some time to ourselves to read a good book or take a walk or do anything other than t
Published March 22nd 2014 by @throat_punch books

To ask other readers questions about I Just Want to Be Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Just Want to Be Alone

Tara May
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a book that makes you feel as if you are sitting around a table with some of your best girlfriends dishing about your husbands, an endless supply of carb-loaded snacks, and unlimited beverages, this hilarious book is just what you need. I promise you will laugh and nod your head in agreement as you read along. Jen put together another amazing anthology!
Melanie Johnson
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
These are essays written by women about their husbands and children. Very funny, quick read from some great bloggers!
Stacey
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I knew that this hysterical anthology would not disappoint. After reading and loving I Just Want To Pee Alone, a collection of essays from mothers who also happen to be hilarious and talented bloggers, hearing that there was a second collection of stories about the various ups and downs of marriage, was music to my ears. I happen to follow many of these bloggers on the web already and laugh daily at their antics and accounts of their life experiences. This montage of real world tales is from sta
Peyton Price
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this follow up to a hugely successful first book, Jen and company take on the men in their lives. Once again, these truth-telling women give you a funny PG-13 peek behind closed doors. If you’re like me (nosy and with the attention span of a hummingbird) you’ll love this book because each of the essays is like a quick visit with your BFF. Stash a paperback wherever you might need a few minutes of respite from your own better half. Read one of these funny-because-its-true tales and you'll emer ...more
Erika
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I like the idea of blog posts about husbands, but I am disappointed with the amount of profanity in this book. If you are writing a 2-3 page blog post about your spouse and trying to be funny, why must it include the f word? I think 70-80% of the posts included in this book used profanity and I think it shows an immaturity. I also was disappointed to see how any people throw their husbands under the bus and truly, really make fun of them. There were a few that I liked a lot and some that I serio ...more
Mamalode
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
"...A book of well-meaning, kind-spirited, relentlessly hilarious, ruthlessly honest portraits of marriage and everything that we as women love to hate about our partners in this sacred union." Mamalode ran a review of this book on April 9, 2014 which can be found in its entirety here: http://mamalode.com/story/detail/book...
Erin
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
could not put this down. could not stop laughing. I can so relate to these women and marriage and the perks and the not so much perks. a great read and a refreshingly honest look at marriage and kids!
Lisa Newlin
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a book to make you laugh out loud while nodding your head in agreement, this is the book for you. These funny ladies deliver a dose of hilarity and I didn't want to stop reading it. Is a must-read. It will also make you laugh so hard you'll be able to skip the ab workout.
Abby
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people with spouses
Recommended to Abby by: others in the series
A series of essays about being married (and with kids) and the funny reality of it. A few of them made me laugh out loud and I really needed that now.
Liz
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a collection of essays by mom-bloggers that I read on my kindle while nursing Ollie.
Usually, these types of books are about mothering, but these essays were about husbands.
There were some that made me laugh out loud. And some that made me cringe- how is it okay to belittle those we love dearest in print?
But the biggest thing I took away from this collection of 12 or 14 writers- is that all but maybe two could have been written by the same woman. The voices were not unique. The writing
Dawn
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome
Oh my goodness, this book is amazing! The stories in this book make me laugh, cry and need a hug, I found each one had something I related to stories from mom, aunts and just amazing women. This book would be a perfect book for waiting to pick up the kid or for the line at the dmv, provided you can put it down, I will admit I had trouble putting it down! Every woman should read this. Really I laughed so hard I though I might need depends!!
Karyn
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So funny and true!

Let's face it, it's always nice to know you're not the only one out there. And yes, sometimes your knight in shining armour is really just an idiot in aluminum foil...but he's YOUR IDIOT!

Written by the best of the best married mother bloggers out there. From cute to insightful to pee your pants funny, these stories contain nothing but reality in every word.

Marie
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, and not just because my daughter is one of the authors. Today's young moms talk and laugh about situations that not only bring back memories of the funny things our husbands did and still do, but also bring some topics right out into the open that we maybe would not have discussed so publicly 30 years ago. And that is not a bad thing.
Elena
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Highly enjoyable and very amusing, I took this book into work as being made up of a series of articles I was able to pick it up and put it down with ease!! Before long my colleagues wanted to know what I was sniggering about and kept asking me to read excerpts aloud. Needless to say not only did I thoroughly enjoy it but it is currently being passed around my team in work!

Alyssa Edmonds
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This collection of humorous essays we're hilarious. I now follow almost all the lady writers' blogs and LMAO every day at the things they blog about. If I was fancy enough I would start my own blog... just to get things off my chest. The book was awesome and I am going to go buy more books written by these super awesome ladies.
Amy
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Some parts were laugh-out-loud funny...but most of it felt like the same stuff over & over. I feel sorry for these women's husbands. And some of their kids. I would recommend this book to moms who need bathroom reading...or something to glance at while waiting to pick up their kids at school.
Roseanney Liu
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very funny anectdotes from women about the adventures and mishaps they had with the men in their lives. From the touching to the hilarious, from the heartfelt to the appalling, this is a can't-put-down-until-you-finish easy read.
Emily Demattia
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is so funny and awesome
Crystal R
Oct 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
The wives were as annoying as the husbands in most of these stories, and almost all of them involve parenting, so if you don't have kids, I especially don't recommend this book.
Mridula
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very funny stuff. Great stories that made me laugh out loud several times. It's a great afternoon or beach read.
Teri Biebel
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Some of my favorite bloggers are back to take on husbands/boyfriends/significant others. LOVED this.
Eileen
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Some of these were hilarious, but it was kind of a mixed bag. But it did give me some more blogs to follow :)
Katie
Lisa Porter
Sep 23, 2014
Carmen
Jul 26, 2015

• I Just Want to Pee Alone: A Collection of Humorous Essays by Kick Ass Mom Bloggers
  • Mick Abruzzo: The Second Wire (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #9.5)
  • My Funny Major Medical
  • This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things: (Parenting. Marriage. Madness)
  • "You Have Lipstick on Your Teeth" and Other Things You'll Only Hear from Your Friends In The Powder Room
  • Moms Who Drink and Swear: True Tales of Loving My Kids While Losing My Mind
  • Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of It
  • The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the Real Truth about Becoming a Mom. Finally.
  • Check, Please!: Dating, Mating, and Extricating
  • What's Up Down There?: Questions You'd Only Ask Your Gynecologist If She Was Your Best Friend
  • In My Kitchen: 100 Recipes and Discoveries for Passionate Cooks
  • The Real Housewives Get Personal
  • Sometimes I Feel Like a Nut: Essays and Observations
  • A Perfect Nanny (Giffort Street, #1)
  • Play with Your Food
  • STFU, Parents: The Jaw-Dropping, Self-Indulgent, and Occasionally Rage-Inducing World of Parent  Overshare
  • Infernal Affairs
  • Death by Rhubarb (Heaven Lee, #1)
Jen Mann of People I Want to Punch in the Throat is the hilarious author of the New York Times best seller, People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges and Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat. She also contributes to and publishes the New York Times best selling I Just Want to Pee Alone series of books. Her b ...more

IJWTBA (3 books)
  • I Still Just Want to Pee Alone
“The thing about marriage is that it requires so much compromise. And, naturally, someone is going to come into the marriage being better at The Yield. In fact, I say a lengthy marriage requires it. Someone is always going to come in with horns down and nostrils flaring. That requires that the other person run away as quickly as possible while waving the white flag. Certainly not the red flag, because I don't want to be that poor woman who accidentally ran over her spouse sixty-five times. Someone is the bull. Someone must be the china shop. We all have important roles to play.” 5 likes
“Needless to say, cooking for a man with such a delicate palate can be challenging and every once in a while I like to make something that isn't served with a glass of milk and a side of applesauce. This can be difficult with a husband with such discriminating taste buds. Difficult, but not impossible, if you're willing to lie. Which I am.   During the winter months I love to make soups and one of my favorites is taco soup. It has all of the basic food groups in one bowl; meat, veggies, beans, and Fritos. It's perfection. I've been warming bodies and cleaning colons with this recipe for years. However, when I met my husband he advised he didn't like beans, so he couldn't eat taco soup. This was not the response I hoped for.   I decided to make it for him anyway. The first time I did I debated whether to add beans. I knew he wouldn't eat it if I did, but I also knew the beans were what gave it the strong flavor. I decided the only way to maintain the integrity of the soup was to sacrifice mine. I lied to him about the ingredients. Because my husband is not only picky but also observant, I knew I couldn't just dump the beans into the soup undetected. Rather, I had to go incognito. For that, I implored the use of the food processor, who was happy to accommodate after sitting in the cabinet untouched for years.   I dumped the cans of beans in the processor and pureed them into a paste. I then dumped the paste into the taco soup mixture, returning the food processor to the cabinet where it would sit untouched for another six months.   When it came time to eat, I dished out a heaping bowl of soup and handed it to my husband. We sat down to eat and I anxiously awaited his verdict, knowing he was eating a heaping bowl of deceit.   “This is delicious. What's in it?” he asked, in between mouthfuls of soup.   “It's just a mixture of taco ingredients,” I innocently replied, focusing on the layer of Fritos covering my bowl.   “Whatever it is, it's amazing,” he responded, quickly devouring each bite.   At that moment I wanted nothing more than to slap the spoon out of his hand and yell “That's beans, bitch!” However, I refrained because I'm classy (and because I didn't want to clean up the mess).” 4 likes