Start by marking “The Mating Heat (Werewolves of Montana, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Mating Heat (Werewolves of Montana, #0.5)

The Mating Heat

(Werewolves of Montana 0.5)

The all-new, never published prequel to the Werewolves of Montana series. Enter the sensual world of the Lupine, where the burning drive to mate claims all...

After an explosive kiss that awakened a burning passion, Lupine Kara Mitchell is certain she will never see Ryder Carrington again. Her alpha father punished them for their illicit love and Kara fled their
Published (first published June 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Mating Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mating Heat

Christopher Hawke
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed turning each page—electronically… A riveting wolf tale.
Maura
Daria

A father more monster than anything after the death of his mate, he lives in his own world of darkness, violence and pain. Alistar has no trouble in dishing out punishment to anyone unlucky enough to incur his wrath. In the past the focus of his wrath was Ryder Carrington. Now Ryder and Kara has a bit of history and its all bad, mostly because of her father Alistar the alpha of their pack.
Ryder is a man/wolf full grown and decideds to end Alistars uncaring rule of the pack. After that deed is d
Melissa
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I wasn't sure about Ryder at first. He endured a lot and loved Kara, the former alpha's daughter who had been scarred. My problem is that I thought, at first, he might try to force her to be his mate. He did seem to vacillate between wanting to take her and wanting to woo her. As the story went on he saw how damaged she was and never forced her to do anything but face the pack with her damaged face so she could see that she would be accepted. As the story goes on you see that his ...more
Sheralee
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Angelique Armae
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very hot read! I really loved this story. I'm not a huge werewolf fan, but Miss Vanak's shifters are incredible characters. I was hooked from page one and will now read the rest of the series as this was the first Montana Werewolf story I've read.
Jessica N.
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read this story as part of the Dark and Deadly collection.
Sweet, sexy and a little melancholy.
Beautifully written to be anyone's story most will be a blue to relate to.
Meiwilli
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Short and intense...

Ryder Carrington is a wolf on a mission. Ryder wants Kara Mitchell as his mate...end of story, no negotiation. Kara apparently wants Ryder--always has but we know a gal has to play coy sometimes. Ryder is supposedly an "Omega" or so Kara's father said he was although every thing about him screamed alpha. Ryder has defeated the old alpha Alastair and taken over the the Colorado pack. There is no more "sir", Betas or Omegas or titles. Simply respect which Ryder dema
Adele
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Trigger/Content Warnings: Physical Abuse, Drug Abuse, Body Weight Issues (main female character)

the rest of the review contains spoilers (view spoiler) ...more
*Flora*
I got this story and The Mating Chase as a free book through Instafreebie.

Bonnie Vanak is a new-to-me author and to begin with I liked her writing style, the way she set up her world and introduced her main romantic couple within the first few chapters.

I liked the personalities of both male (Ryder) & female (Kara) leads to begin with; the story was hot, passionate and had lots of raw emotions & painful memories that our couple had to work through. The first half of this story certainly captured
Betty Lambert
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It had passion and also a story line that kept my interest the whole book. Werewolf Kara Mitchell fled with her brother Aiden to Montana after their alpha father punished her, badly, for kissing another omega werewolf. Ryder Carrington was scarred by her father's cruelty but he always remembered Kara. He wants her for his mate. Great story line and with what both Kara and Ryder had already gone through, there is still a lot more to do. Highly recommend this series.
Karen
Oct 13, 2019 added it
DNF at 22%

I wanted to like this as the premise is interesting. Two wolves who form a friendship under the rule of an asshole alpha. They’re torn apart and then reconnect.

Ryder is a jerk. Let’s trick someone into mating with me although he’s been secretly in love with her for years. Ugh. Kara was disfigured by her father and wants to hide away from the world.

Couldn’t get into it and decided not to waste my time hoping that it gets better. Reading the rest of the series is
Tahshae Catching
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I did not realize I was reading this book until today. This whole time I thought I was reading The mating Chase. This book is actually really good and the connection between Kara and Ryder is great. I love the fact that this book is not all butterflies and rainbows.
Daniela
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Ryder gathered her into his arms. “You are beautiful Kara. You always will be to me, even when we’re old and gray and wrinkled. I’ll always see you as the female who captured my heart.”......

- so romantic
The Word Nerd Reviews Blog
I was expecting this one to be just a bit of pure fluff - fun to read but not much substance. It turns out it was actually quite a sweet story dealing with the trauma of an abusive parent (and pack leader).

A new author for me, I'll be looking at the other books in the series.
Connie
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book and I am voluntarily reviewing it.

I just love a good shifter story. This one didn't disappoint. I couldn't put the book down once I started it. If you love shifters, then this one is for you. I highly recommend this story.
Kelly Russell
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
good story, a bit of a weak ending, but ok.
Wickedly Sweet and Synful Book Blog Twilla
Great story- didn’t need all the fairy’s and trolls.
LastBreath
2.5 stars.

To be honest Kara & Ryder are an ok lust story. Love? Well, that didn't factor so much. Their history was solid so I enjoyed that. But too much 'woe is me' was frustrating.
Nikki Henton
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Linda
Mar 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ebook-only
part of dark and deadly and *8book series

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
~ 3 Mating Heat Stars ~

The Mating Heat is a prequel to the Werewolves of Montana series. This is a nice quick read about overcoming scars from the past and embracing love and hope for the future. Insta-love storyline. We get a taste of the world of the Werewolves of Montana, but the world is not fully developed.

Both Ryder and Kara as well as the whole pack where damaged by their previous Alpha. They are friends who turn into lovers. Ryder has always know from that one kiss that he shared with Kara that she wa
Kelly
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Aww. I felt for both Kara and Ryder in this book. Ryder suffered both physical and emotional abuse under the despotic reign of the former alpha and Kara was left with very visible reminders of how unhinged her father had become before she ran away. They both have boatloads of issues to work through. The difference is that Kara hides herself away on her brother's ranch, while Ryder did what he needed to do to keep the pack safe.

Seriously, I felt for them.

For the record, wh
Christine
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This tale of love gone wrong is a surprisingly light read for how dark the main topics are. A father mourning his late wife into death and trying to take anyone nearby with him. Unable to see past his own torment to notice how he torments those around him, literally torturing his daughter for daring to love another. Deception, hurt and lies abound. This would be bad enough if her were not the leader of a werewolf pack, a pack completely dependent on this demented man. This tale begins after his ...more
Cynthia
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
More of a 3.5

I'm not too sure about this one. The story was good and Ryder ended up winning me over but I felt like the characters weren't fully developed.

Ryder and Kara suffered a lot of pain at the hands of her father and former alpha. When Ryder kills him to save the pack he forces Kara back with the intention of convincing her to be his mate.

Ryder healed more easily and he helps Kara see herself the same way the rest of them sees her: as a sweet girl who always prote
Djg
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in Dark and Deadly: Eight Bad Boys of Paranormal Romance anthology

Kara and her brother ran away from their pack and their ruthless father who was the Alpha. Ryder, her childhood friend and romance challenged her father and won.

He knows Kara is his mate and he wants her back. But Kara is scarred and ashamed of running away and leaving the others behind and doesn't think it will work.

Sexy and teasing with an HEA.
Heather  book whore & shifter slut extrordinaire
I instantly became a Bonnie Vanak Wolves fan. I read this then found all I could on my kindle already (other sets etc) and read all I had. In o rder of course.

I am a shifter girl and these are great shifter books with true emotional growth and challenges and characters who are allowed to develop at their own pace and time - which usually is when fate forces them to face their demons!

Great start to the series
Dani Hodge
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have read all the books in this series, and reading this book after reading all the other books was nice to put a couple of pieces to the puzzle together that were missing. I thought this was a beautiful prequel to this series. I absolutely love all the characters in this series and I highly recommend reading all of them. You wont be disappointed.
Pansy
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in the Dark and Deadly: Eight Bad Boys of Paranormal Romance Collection. A lovely introduction to this series. I like the characters. The world was exciting. The action was nicely mixed with the romance. I found a new series to add to my "to be read" mountain. I look forward to reading more.
Rayne
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this as a part of the Dark and Deadly Box Set Collection
I enjoyed this book. I did find Ryder a bit too demanding and demeaning at times but I could also relate to his reasons. This was a very emotional book in that the characters had survived some terrible abuse. Mix this with shifters and there is a very strong storyline.
Mating Heat just one of 8 books look at the link 1 3 Apr 18, 2014 12:19AM

• Trapped (Blood Rose Tales #1)
  • Surrounded by Death (Woods Family, #0.5)
  • Darkness Falls (Reveler #1)
  • Dark and Deadly
  • Juneau Heat (Urban Heat, #1)
  • Rogue's Passion (Iron Portal, #2)
  • Lycan Lover (Lycan, #1)
  • Theirs to Claim (Claimed, #1)
  • Dark Highland Fire (The MacInnes Werewolves Trilogy, #2)
  • Red Snow (Burkheart Witch Saga #1)
  • The Law and Miss Penny (Law and Disorder, #1)
  • Cloud City (Anna Strong Chronicles, #8.5)
  • Warriors of the Darkness (Warriors of Darkness #1)
  • Alejandro's Sorceress (The Cardinal Witches #1)
  • Kindling
  • Obsess Much?
  • The Hunger (Rogues of Scotland, #2)
  • Bloodstone Heart (Blood Series, #4)
Bonnie Vanak fell in love with romance novels during childhood. While cleaning a hall closet, she discovered her mother’s cache of paperbacks and started reading. Thus began a passion for romance and a lifelong dislike for housework.

After years of newspaper reporting, Bonnie became a writer for a major international charity. She travels to destitute countries such as Haiti to write abo

Werewolves of Montana (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Mating Chase (Werewolves of Montana, #1)
  • The Mating Hunt (Werewolves of Montana, #2)
  • The Mating Seduction (Werewolves of Montana, #3)
  • The Mating Rite (Werewolves of Montana, #4)
  • The Mating Challenge (Werewolves of Montana, #5)
  • The Mating Season (Werewolves of Montana, #6)
  • The Mating Destiny (Werewolves of Montana #7)
  • The Mating Game (Werewolves of Montana, #8)
  • The Mating Ritual (Werewolves of Montana #9)
  • The Mating Frenzy (Werewolves of Montana, #10)