Start by marking “Shades of Fear” as Want to Read:
Shades of Fear

Shades of Fear

Fears are stories we tell ourselves. These fears exist everywhere: in our minds, in our neighborhoods, and in all the places beyond. Come with us as our 22 writers take you deep into their world of fears, exposing the vulnerable spots in each writer’s soul. What strikes fear in their hearts will haunt you.

Including stories by : Author K Webster, Author rJo Herman, Author
Published February 18th 2014 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Fear

Start your review of Shades of Fear
C. Kelly
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful collection of tales related to fear. With so many views and angles I was drawn in anew with each original story. The gathering of so many talented authors provides a treat to an avid reader like myself. I highly recommend Shades of Fear to lovers of short stories although I do not recommend your reading to be on a dark and stormy night!
Catherine Pratt
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sides of Black was the name of the story that is in this collection it was good but really weird. It is about smog in London. I liked it but if course I like weird stories. It helps me think what the author is thinking.  Debbie Manber Kupfer is a great writer and this short ,13 page book is testament to what I say. If that makes sense.

I got a free copy of the book and is voluntarily leaving a review
C.L. Heckman
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Take my advice…. If you scare easily like I do, don’t read this book after the sun goes down. Some stories will leave you uneasy, while others will chill you right to the bone. I love reading collections like these because you get to see how so many different authors tell a story, each one with their own unique style and gift.

Each story touches on a different aspect of fear, whether it is something in our minds, real life, or supernatural. There is not one story that I liked any more than the o
Sheila
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
From the big C to the monster under the bed, the Shades of Fear anthology does indeed collect tales of fear in its many shades, offering word pictures and stories of dreads that many will recognize, enjoy, or maybe even be empowered by. Some endings are more final than others, as the reader progresses through multiple different terrors. Cool quotes begin each story, unsettling or resettling the reader. Future histories terrify, as in Laura Cowan’s Testament to Finer Things. But my favorite stori ...more
Angie Martin
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Shades of Fear” is an anthology of stories about fear in its many forms. When reading a collection, I never know what to expect. It can very easily go wrong very quickly. One story might be wonderful while the next is so-so. I did not experience this with “Shades of Fear.” Each of the stories was well-written and enticing from beginning to end. They all dealt with different ideas of what fear is, and I think that’s what made it such an interesting anthology. More importantly, as a set, it felt ...more
Jana Petken
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of individual stories, well written and presented, covering subjects from north to south in breadth and depth.
It was a very refreshing book and a relaxing way to spend a day, as I glided from one story to the next, some scarier than others and some more disturbing and graphic than others. I particularly enjoyed the story of young George, who touched my heart because of the underlying reasons for his actions. I could mention all the stories, as there was not one I didn't enjoy.
Jodi Vaughn
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I picked up Shades of Fear, I wasn't sure what to expect. *Warning* Don't read this before bedtime. I started this book before I went to bed. My intention was to pace myself and read a few stories a night. But once I started, I couldn't stop. I had to keep reading, story after story.
Each story is so unique, yet they all deliver on the different "shades" of what we fear. The description and detail of the stories had me holding my breath with each turn of the page. It was like I was sixteen a
Debbie
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Fear comes in many different shades. Every story in this collection is a different take on fear. Some are traditional horror stories, while others range into the world of the whimsical, while still others including mine, "The Big C", are memoirs of very real personal fears.
My story in this collection was probably the most difficult thing I've ever written. When I was diagnosed with cancer I thought my world had ended, but it is amazing what we can get used to and today I've finally reached a poi
Jennifer Loiske
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of horror stories!

I absolutely love charity books! What a great way to help the ones in need! All profits from this book go to benefit pediatric cancer research and patient care.

I was immediately sucked in the world of creepy stories written by these fabulous twenty-two writers. Loved every single story as they held unique touch of the various writers and balanced the book very nicely. This was quite fast read which left me turning all the lights on in my house…just in case…
James Chalk
Aptly Named and Well Done!
This is an excellent collection of well written short stories that are guaranteed to creep you out! My favorite was “George” by D.K. Cassidy. I would be eager to purchase any further stories featuring the very creepy George character.
Roxie
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wrote
I wrote a story in this anthology, "Sleep Tight." It was a thrill to be included in the collection, and it has been fun to read everyone's take on fears...try it yourself...think of something that made you afraid, and tell a campfire story about it. I'll read it!
Roxanne
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
My story is Sleep Tight
Martha Sockel
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, anthology
Lovecraft once wrote the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. And now we know why.

From twenty-two very disturbed minds, come tales of madness and terror that should not be read before bedtime.
The highlights are DK Cassidy's "George" and "T209" by Shannon McLoud, both of which are exemplary tales that demonstrate that fear is in the mind as much as it in the monsters.

If you enjoyed "The Mammoth Book of Horrors..." serie
Feb 09, 2015
Kathleen Kuipers
May 28, 2018
Julia
rated it did not like it
Jun 29, 2014

• Winter's Heart
  • EGYPTIAN MYTHS: YOU MUST KNOW BEFORE YOU DIE!
  • Treehouse
  • Dirty Wishes
  • Root Brew Float (One Scoop or Two)
  • ill-fated
  • Becoming Sienna
  • The Lucky One: Book 1
  • A Watched Pot
  • The Cat Detectives in Russia: The Case of the Missing Fabergé Egg: Diary of a Snoopy Cat (The Inca Cat Detective Series #9)
  • Reefcake (Wild Menage, #1)
  • Hallowmas
  • Vivified
  • Nova’s Initiation (The Slave Makers Book 1)
  • Post it Notes (Alfie Goes to Thailand, #2)
  • The Only Witness (Alfie Goes to Thailand #0.5)
  • A Bull Rider's Paradise