Start by marking “The Tenor” as Want to Read:
The Tenor

The Tenor

The Tenor is a sweeping tale of historical fiction in the style of Ann Patchett's Bel Canto and De Burniere's Captain Corelli's Mandolin. It swiftly moves from Pino Vaggi's youth in pre-war Italy, to his coming of age as a soldier in war-torn Greece, before ending in a shattering surprise finale at Maria Callas' historic final performance ever on the stage of New York's Me ...more
Published March 1st 2014 by Pegasus Books (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Tenor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tenor

Start your review of The Tenor
Erin
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I love World War II fiction, so it should come as no surprise that I jumped when offered the chance to read Peter Danish's The Tenor. The political content and the fact that story took place in Italy held great appeal for me and I was eager to see how those elements would factor into the larger story.

Ultimately neither played much of a role, but that doesn't mean I was disappointed. Pino, for one, is a fabulous protagonist. He is talented and
Erin Al-Mehairi
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Tenor, by Peter Danish, is a book of superb storytelling, with a very real and likeable protagonist and an enthralling theme. I've always been a fan of classic music and the opera, so this book that showcases both history and the art of music, as well as the intrigue of the war and romance, was a wonderful fit for me. Danish's sentences are silky and lush with description.

For instance, to start with, how can you not be drawn in by this copy:

"If he's caught, it will m
Ashley
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Tenor by Peter Danish offers readers a unique perspective on the history surrounding World War II. Rather than yet another novel set in WWII Germany Danish takes readers from pre-war Italy, to war-torn Greece and ultimately to the stage of the New York Metropolitan Opera House. The overlying theme of music and art softens this otherwise dark period in European history.

Having been very unfamiliar with both Maria Callas and the Opera prior to reading The Tenor this novel was a true joy to rea
Kelsey
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Peter Danish sends his readers on an epic journey from pre-war Italy to war ravaged Athens. Through Pino Vaggi we are introduced to the hopes of a young child yearning for a life in the opera world. When his chance is finally within his reach, WWII breaks out and he is ripped from his home and placed in Athens where he meets the love of his life who is also his enemy. In his heart he knows he can’t let her die and will do anything to protect her.

Without giving away too much I will j
Laura Ponticello
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A riveting story that transports the reader to a historical place in time. As I turned the pages, I didn't want to place this book down!
Pivotal scenes enticed me to want to discuss this book with others. Pino, a primary character is heartfelt and one feels in union with journey.
Author Peter Danish should win a book award for this literary read that has huge movie potential. Book clubs, a must read!
Teresa Gerbino
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A true page-turning novel. Historical fiction that kept me entertained and lost in the deep exploration of characters and their lives.
Peter Danish
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The only thing I enjoyed more than reading THE TENOR was writing THE TENOR! I hope you enjoy it too! And please feel free to contact me with thoughts and comments!

-Peter
Nella
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While I was reading Mr. Danish's novel, The Tenor, my mind was dancing in the alpine meadows of a long forgotten memory. The music of the murmuring mountain springs, an even more distant memory, got recalled in flashes of light and laughter of the innocence we don't even recognize until the old age takes over and we start turning to our past for comfort and peace. I have never been to Italy, but I have visited the Swiss Alps. Page after page, I was smiling, captivated by the clarity of my own re ...more
Lisa Sharp
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a truly enjoyable read and surprised me with its fresh storytelling. I'm a big fan of a good historical novel, especially one set in and around World War II but I know next to nothing about opera so I wasn't sure how much of the story would be lost on me. But I found it was easy to get caught in the sweeping story of Pino from the mountains of Italy to war torn Athens and ultimately in NYC. His passion for music is so infectious that even though I don't have an insider's knowledge of th ...more
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Reading a book about a fictional opera singer in fascist Italy was definitely different for me. Being around opera singers all day and including singers among my closest friends, I'm definitely familiar with the art. The book read, to me, like an article, and one that would be specifically good for people who don't necessarily know much about opera. I had trouble connecting with it, but thought it was an interesting read at least.
Sally
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this debut novel. It was an interesting and quick read and so engrossing, that I really didn't want to put it down. Highly recommended!
G.
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderful evocations of time and place.
Nicole
Jan 22, 2017
Nicholas
May 03, 2016
David Moody
rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2017
Michele Marlin
Nov 04, 2014
Diane
Nov 19, 2014
Peter Danish is an award-winning, #1 best-selling Amazon author and playwright. He is the Classical Music Editor for BWW.com Classical, one of the nation’s most popular Broadway and Classical Music websites.

A proud member of the Dramatist Guild of America, his play, “Gods, Guns and Greed,” was chosen by the White Plains Performing Arts Center for its “First Look” series, and the play will be give