Start by marking “The Savoy Cocktail Book” as Want to Read:
The Savoy Cocktail Book

The Savoy Cocktail Book

Synonymous with style, elegance, and sophistication, the Savoy is unsurprisingly also the birthplace of some of the most famous cocktails in the world. During the 1920s and 1930s, Prohibition-dodging Americans visiting London for tea-dances and cocktails made the bar at the Savoy their home. Here they were entertained by legendary American barman Harry Craddock, inventor o ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Pavilion (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about The Savoy Cocktail Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Savoy Cocktail Book

Start your review of The Savoy Cocktail Book
H James
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: referenced, mixology
There's a lot of charm in this relic of Prohibition era cocktail culture, but as a recipe book the Savoy should not be taken seriously. Weed-out redundant recipes with alternate names, and you might lose 40% of this book. Weed-out recipes with trivial proportional differences, and you'll lose another 40%. Weed-out noxious, candy-sweet concoctions, and you'll loose another 10%. That final 10% is worth reading, but many will be familiar and most of the rest will rely on ingredients unavailable for ...more
Amy
Got this as a gift for javaczuk, who has an endless fascination in the art of mixed drinks, especially those in earlier days. We are working our way through this and the other books I got for him for our anniversary, at a steady, but healthy rate. Since bartending is a part of the manuscript he is writing, it's all research. God help my liver.

(This seems to be his go-to one when he has questions.)
Cristhian
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Joya. Una maravilla de libro con cientos de recetas clásicas aunado a un apéndice dedicado a los vinos (y un hoax a manera de prólogo).

5/5
Oliver MacMahon
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bar
If you want to impress a potential employer with your cocktail making expertise, recreate Harry Craddocks' original White Lady recipe found in The Savoy Cocktail Book.
Its no mean feat to remember hundreds of extraordinary cocktails, fortunately you can find 750 in the one location in the bar bible that is Savoy. Recipes synthesized from the 20’s and 30’s with the addition of Craddocks signatures are measured in Dashes, Glasses and Hookers retaining its Prohibition era feel.
Part II of the bible
Matthew Philips
I can appreciate this book for its history, often wacky cocktails (to our time) & a rather well-written wine section. However, having a reference book without an index or way to look up a drink other than by name yields a major issue. Also, numerous cocktails are the same ingredients in ever-so-slightly different proportions and possibly a different garnish; different cocktails these do not make.

Time for a drink!
Jordan J. Andlovec
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I classic compendium of cocktails from the golden age of the craft. This edition itself is beautifully designed and fits the period perfectly. Although Craddock stole a few (or more) of these recipes from other bartenders and displayed them as his own, there isn't a more suited book for one's bar collection than this.
Josh Fogelson
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-book, nonfiction
I read a 1999 edition b Pavilion Books. It is a complete reprint of an early edition, with no forward or anything. Interesting as a historic resource, but most of the cocktails sound gross and outdated.
Vince Mattaliano
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
Despite its venerable reputation and authorship, it's a difficult book to navigate. Unlike most good cocktail books, it lacks indexes at the rear based on ingredients or names. For example, trying to find a recipe for the Bloody Mary, which I was unable to locate, was impossible.
Mark Watkins
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The old, original classic cocktail book. 1st home to iconic cocktails such as the French 75, Blood & Sand, and many others. The art deco illustrations aren't bad either. ...more
Walt Falconer
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
from Amazon.com

This is a classic for a reason, good recipes and well written. There are hundreds of bartending books out there, competing for space in your shelf or on the coffee table - for myself, this one and Colin Field's Ritz book are the go to books and they look quite nice as well. There is another review in here slamming the Savoy book on the font used or something like that, it isn't very clear. Writing in 2012, the one I received is bound well, nice paper, well laid out and overall is
Donna
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: imbibing
No, I didn't read every word of every recipe, but I read the name of each and noted its main ingredient. And the prose elements of this guidebook are stellar, particularly in the wine section. The portion quoted from Colette's "The Lucky Hour of Great Wines" is great reading. And the happy ending of the book is ultimately fitting to its subject. Bottoms up!
Thomas Wictor
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! You can get lost in it as you imagine all the high rollers, millionaires, and adventurers who tossed back countless One Exciting Nights, Trilbys, and Morning Glory Fizzes. A must for novelists recreating the twenties through the fifties, the Golden Age of cocktails. Alcoholics should avoid it. The temptation to try every single one will kill you to death.
Kristen Kolb
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The quintessential cocktail handbook. Amazingly entertaining and funny, even more so impressive as it was first published in 1930. Worth a read and a stack of page markers for making notes of cocktails to try!
Emerset
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-have
Not enough punch or life in this book. I wish every cocktail came with a few sentences of background stories or suggestions for possible modifications even if that meant there were fewer cocktails. Still looking for the perfect cocktail book.
Jaime
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
come over and we'll try to mix some cocktails... but it may be hard to find all the ingredients... it's okay, we'll improvise! :)

the graphics in the book are amazing (from a graphic designer's point of view).
Scott
Aug 11, 2011 marked it as to-read
Probably not a book I'd actually sit down and read in one shot, but more of a cookbook for the bar. I tried one cocktail featuring sherry that was not so good. Hopefully there's more gems in there, it IS a classic after all..
Robert
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, drinking
Endless variety here. Some better than others, but work through it a bit, and you'll find what you like.
Adsy
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best cocktail book I have ever read. If you need to learn classic cocktails, you cannot be without the book.
Virginia
Dec 16, 2014
Anne Frisbie
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cocktails
Harry Craddock - American, New Yorker, Londoner (because of the Prohibition) - was the father of prohibition cocktails. This book is really a reference book for classic cocktails. No pictures. Recipes are alphabetical so it works well as a reference book. Not an inspiring cocktail but great to have in case you want to look at any classic cocktail recipe.
Meghan Elward-Duffy
Sep 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to "Professor" Jerry Thomas, Pioneer of the American Bar
  • Death & Co: Modern Classic Cocktails, with More than 500 Recipes
  • The PDT Cocktail Book: The Complete Bartender's Guide from the Celebrated Speakeasy
  • The Joy of Mixology: The Consummate Guide to the Bartender's Craft
  • Cocktail Codex: Fundamentals, Formulas, Evolutions
  • The Art of the Bar: Cocktails Inspired by the Classics
  • The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs
  • The Bar Book: Elements of Cocktail Technique
  • Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails: From the Alamagoozlum Cocktail to the Zombie {80 Rediscovered Recipes and the Stories behind Them}
  • Speakeasy: The Employees Only Guide to Classic Cocktails Reimagined
  • The Craft of the Cocktail: Everything You Need to Know to Be a Master Bartender, with 500 Recipes
  • Meehan's Bartender Manual
  • The Road to Character
  • Five Novels
  • History of the United States
  • The Art of Public Speaking
  • Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator
  • Hoist on My Own Petard: Or: How Writing 10% Happier Threw My Own Advice Right Back in My Face

News & Interviews

“When it is not meal-time, you have the pump, the tap, the springs and filters. Water is for thirst. Wine is, according to its quality and its flavour, a necessary tonic, a luxury or a tribute paid to food.” 0 likes
“...it is not correct to offer a parting guest a cocktail, unless you feel that you have given him such a bad dinner that he is probably going on to have another one somewhere else, and needs an appetizer.” 0 likes