Start by marking “Sex and Violence in the Bible: A Survey of Explicit Content in the Holy Book” as Want to Read:
Sex and Violence in the Bible: A Survey of Explicit Content in the Holy Book

Sex and Violence in the Bible: A Survey of Explicit Content in the Holy Book

Joseph Smith helps Christians to be discerning about unsavory material. He presents a carefully organized, elegant catalog of Scriptures own graphic passages, clarifying meanings often obscured by time or translation.
Published 2014 by P&R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sex and Violence in the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex and Violence in the Bible

Peter Krol
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had the privilege of reading an advance copy of this book, and what a privilege it was.

I was one of those pre-teen boys who grew up in the church and was obsessed with gore and bodily functions. I can't remember how many times I read Genesis, Judges, and 1 & 2 Kings before I turned 18 - all because I was fascinated by how earthy it was. But I learned at a young age not to persist in asking, "but what does that phrase mean?" It just wasn't a polite question for Sunday school.

I've been waiti
Hobart
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
Struggling with the idea that there's "explicit content" in the Bible (sex, violence, and the like) and yet Christian sermons, education, and literature tends to veer towards the G-rated (unless someone's trying to make a name for himself for being "edgy"), Smith set out to survey the texts that cover those topics to see if he could help Christians be able to talk the way the Bible does about the topics. He says he soon learned that
I might
Jeff Short
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biblical-studies
I can't say I enjoyed reading this book. The book deals with difficult subject matter and it is a concentrated dose. There are certainly some queasy stomach moments and probably worse if you tend toward the weaker stomach side of things.

Having said that, I do think it is an important book. Smith covers subjects in the Bible that are not often taught, or not taught well. He does so with serious mindedness and not sophmoric humor. He takes his cue of how to deal with these subjects from the way t
Gina Burgess
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Part of the name of this book is A Survey of Explicit Content in the Holy Book.
Hats off to Smith for providing an excellent encyclopedia of where the sexy and violent verses are in the Bible. Smith writes with the similar regard for body parts and gore as do medical journals. The text is very matter of fact, but not dry. Smith displays his humor quite well.

This is not something that your little brother would sneak a look at like the pictures in National Geographic. It is very well thought out, a
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Where the sermons we weekly hear in church would only get a G rating, the books and letters in the Bible contain many content many would expect in modern literature, war reports or memoirs of victims. You may compare a sermon to a children's Bible - beautiful colored, a bias towards easy to comprehend stories, love, grace & family friendly stuff - to the real Bible you read when your children are teenagers. Joseph Smith III did an extensive research and categorizes his 700 quotes in all kind ...more
Brian
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read a fair bit of this volume that surveys all of the explicit content in Scripture, showing that Scriptures's "approach to indecent matter is not that of a twenty-first century schoolboy" nor "that of a nineteenth-century Victorian housewife." Scripture is honest about sexuality, bodily functions, and violence in the world, but restrained in its discussion of these matters, as well. This is good, thorough, honest, respectful book.
J. Alfred
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Smith's book gives a strong rundown of many of the gross and uncomfortable topics in the Bible, giving good scholarly reflections on specific verses. It is helpful both for thinking about the issues as such, but also, and probably more importantly, for metacognition-- how and why do we think the way we do about socially uncomfortable issues? How ought we, from a Biblical standpoint?
Nick